View Poll Results: Combine FileMgr into Internalz?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

49 87.50%
  • No

7 12.50%
  1.    #1  
    If you don't know what Internalz and FileMgr are, STOP NOW: READ THIS, then come back and vote

Simple poll, should Internalz and FileMgr remain separate packages?

My original thinking is that FileMgr is an open API for anyone to use and not everyone would want to require Internalz, so I'd offer FileMgr as a separate package that is hidden from the launcher.

However, combining Internalz and FileMgr my have more user simplicity. The open API would still be available in either scenario.

So what do you guys think?
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 05/02/2010 at 05:54 PM.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    I think it should be combined, if it can be done easily
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahootzki View Post
    I think it should be combined, if it can be done easily
    yea, it can be done very easily

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

Three questions I think: 1) Can other devs access it inside Internalz? 2) Have any other Devs actually requested access? 3) Would it be a pain to pull it back out later if more Devs did request access?

I'm also wondering/hoping that some of FileMgr's abilities can be patched/hacked into Palm's Photos app. If that can be done and if Internalz performance will improve then sure, why not?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    Three questions I think: 1) Can other devs access it inside Internalz? 2) Have any other Devs actually requested access? 3) Would it be a pain to pull it back out later if more Devs did request access?

I'm also wondering/hoping that some of FileMgr's abilities can be patched/hacked into Palm's Photos app. If that can be done and if Internalz performance will improve then sure, why not?
    1) Yes, the full FileMgr api would still be available freely for any dev to use. FileMgr would just be included in the Internalz package.

2) Yes During private beta testing alone, I received API specsheet requests from 10+ developers. I believe currently MapTools uses it to write data to files locally.

3) Access to the FileMgr API would not be lost. Basically FileMgr would be bundled into Internalz as a single package.

I'm not sure what you're wanting for the Photos app; enlighten me?

And for the record, combining FileMgr into Internalz would not give it any more or less performance. It's purely an organizational change and users would only need to install a single package to install Internalz and the service.

What would be the advantage of having it combined? Would it work better?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Dude, you need a third voting option "what are those things and does a kitten really die every time I use one of them?"

I have no idea what those are, as you can probably tell. Slap me silly and call me sillier.
    Seems like a beneficial merger. Any downside?
    I voted 'No' but really it should be 'BOTH'!

First, I'm not a developer, just a user.

I remember reading that Jason made the 'File Manager Service' so that other developers could use it to access the file system if they needed it in developing their own apps.

If it was combined into Internalz, then it would not be available for the other developers to make use of, if Jason still wanted to make that available.

As a regular user, it would be nice to have it incorporated into Internalz and not have to worry about needing this 'extra thing'!

If Jason took it from other developers to make use of, then those developers would have to create there own file manager service, which would mean that app would have to greater in size.

If multiple apps were sharing 'file manager' then it's one piece that is available to many apps and those apps can be smaller in size.

If Jason did not want to make file manager available for free, he could license it out to the other developers and make back his investment in producing it and keeping it up to date.

So it's really what Jason want to do in continuing to make it available to other developers that answers the question.

I also believe that Jason makes other apps that access the 'file manger' so would he have to put a copy in each of his own apps?

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Personally, as a end user, I'm happy as it is now. If you manage to get internals on your phone and know how to use it then I don't think it is any more of a burden to have the separate filemgr package. They are all easy to install and uninstall in their current state. I'm just happy they exist, internals is great.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    What would be the advantage of having it combined? Would it work better?
    One advantage is only needing to install a single package, rather than 2.

Another advantage is that you won't need to install this patch to uninstall FileMgr (without WOSQI/Preware). Simply orange+tap uninstalling Internalz would uninstall FileMgr too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Dude, you need a third voting option "what are those things and does a kitten really die every time I use one of them?"
    See this link

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    If it was combined into Internalz, then it would not be available for the other developers to make use of, if Jason still wanted to make that available.
    The API would still be available. I would never want to restrict users from the API I spent so long to build for the community . Just instead of requiring using to install FileMgr, they'd require users to install Internalz

If multiple apps were sharing 'file manager' then it's one piece that is available to many apps and those apps can be smaller in size.
    That was the original idea of FileMgr, yep. Just combining the two would mean the apps using the service, would be sharing the service included in Internalz.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post

That was the original idea of FileMgr, yep. Just combining the two would mean the apps using the service, would be sharing the service included in Internalz.
    OK, I didn't understand that. I can't image anyone wanting other third party app and not wanting Internalz as well.

Here is a thought, if some wanted to create an app that was going to be in the Palm App Catalog and required the use of 'File Manger', then would that user have to know how to do homebrew?

Do you see what I am getting at with this.

Can that 3rd party developer, package file manager into his app so that he can put it in the Palm App Catalog. I don't think Palm will allow right now an app in the Catalog that would require a user to have to do Homebrew.

Or am I misunderstand the kind of app that can be created using 'File manger service'.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

13.    #13  
    Here is a thought, if some wanted to create an app that was going to be in the Palm App Catalog and required the use of 'File Manger', then would that user have to know how to do homebrew?

Do you see what I am getting at with this.

Can that 3rd party developer, package file manager into his app so that he can put it in the Palm App Catalog. I don't think Palm will allow right now an app in the Catalog that would require a user to have to do Homebrew.
    Well, currently FileMgr cannot be "included" in Palm App Catalog apps. What my API specsheet allows, if for 3rd party developers to detect if FileMgr is installed on the users device and to harness it.

For example, if users install FileMgr by homebrew means, the MapTool application by MetaView (available on the App Catalog) will detect this and you'll have the added functionality FileMgr provides (in this case, local data logging).

By combining FileMgr into Internalz, the API will still be available, but it'll be bundled with Internalz app.

Another question: If Internalz were already running in one card, would a separate app running in another card still be able to access those APIs?
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    Another question: If Internalz were already running in one card, would a separate app running in another card still be able to access those APIs?
    yepper

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    I'm not sure what you're wanting for the Photos app; enlighten me?
    Viewing image file names and renaming them is the biggest wish. Moving/copying single/multiple image files would be next. After that, changing image orientation or rotating them -- not that that's a current or expected feature of FileMgr, but it's an image management feature I'm wanting.

EDIT: To clarify, I know I can do the first two items from within Internalz, but that's cumbersome as an image viewer. I want to do these things as they occur to me when I'm in the Images app.
    Last edited by Colonel Kernel; 05/02/2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: added bottom paragraph
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Hard question... am I wrong in my belief that the filemgr service is or may be used by other apps?
    then if you do add it to internalz, maybe you should offer it stand alone as well?