Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
  1. Gyd
    Nice app Jason! I made a short review for Czech users here: http://palmpreblog.cz/file-manager-jedine-internalz/
    So the filemgr service ONLY runs when this app is open, or all the time?

Also, you seemed to have gotten saving to work, would this be available for a good text editor for you to make maybe?

Lastly, could you make an option to specify a handler for files with no file type? (text-auto-replace). I'd love to edit it from the phone.
    Last edited by Jakeeeee; 06/22/2010 at 03:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Convert View Post
    Internalz is great. However, I had some issues renaming ringtones for use with the Separate Ringtone for Unknown/blocked Callers patch.

I changed the name of a ringtone "Who Can it be Now" with Internalz to ringtoneforunknown.m4a, but the ringtone didn't work for the patch because I learned that it has to be an mp3. So I then renamed this via Internalz back to "Who Can it be Now", Luna reset, but it still showed up in Ringtones as ringtoneforunknown.m4a. Via Internalz (and USB and) - it showed up correctly as WhoCanItBeNow.m4a. Hmmm, are there some restrictions on renaming files?
    I experience the same behavior. It looks like once files have been renamed, Internalz will always display them correctly, but the native webOS apps like sound & ringtones manager, etc, still display the original filenames. Don't know why this happens.
  4.    #124  
    Hi all,

I've been away for an attempt at reclaiming my personal/social life for the past few weeks. Now I'm back to developing and figured I should let you guys in on current developments:

I plan on having Internalz 1.1 be a private release and having Internalz 1.2 be the next public release.

Internalz 1.2 has the current target features:
    • "Master Mode" for optional unrestricted write/delete access on the device.
    • Dynamic plain-text vs. binary file determination for the Text Editor
    • Text Editor word wrap option (hopefully)
    • Option to choose Text Editor endline character format
    • Read-Only option in the Info screen will now toggle the FAT32 read-only attribute for files in /media/internal/
    • Files/folders outside of /media/internal/ will now have access to a Linux permissions map
    • Faster loading for Image Viewer with files in /media/internal/
    • Option to email files (via "share" button on the Info screen)
    • Hopefully I'll be able to get my HTML viewer ready for 1.2. So that you can choose to have HTML files (from /media/internal/) open in a web viewer rather than the Text Editor
    • There's also 2 other secret features I hope to have ready for 1.2 that I won't mention in case they don't make it for the release. But if they do, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

No ETA on release (you guys should know I dislike ETAs by now ).

I plan on simultaneously working on my Dropbox app so I can finally have an App Catalog app and make money for my work.

After those projects, I plan to resume work on my backup desktop application, for anyone who might be wondering.

Oh, and here's some replies to previous posts in this thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyd View Post
    Nice app Jason! I made a short review for Czech users here: http://palmpreblog.cz/file-manager-jedine-internalz/
    Nice! Thanks for the review

Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    So the filemgr service ONLY runs when this app is open, or all the time?
    it's also in "stand-by" ready to be called at any time by any application creating service requests to it.

Also, you seemed to have gotten saving to work, would this be available for a good text editor for you to make maybe?
    There's a built-in text editor If you mean a standalone one, yea, I'll probably make something eventually. Though my FileMgr API is publicly available for any homebrew developer to use.

Lastly, could you make an option to specify a handler for files with no file type? (text-auto-replace). I'd love to edit it from the phone.
    In upcoming Internalz 1.2, it'll be able to do basic detection of plain-text files, regardless of filetype. It does so by looking for 0-value bytes, which are only found in binary files.

Unfortunately there's a small number of binary applications with no 0-value bytes, meaning in rare occations, the text editor will open binary files, lol.

Not perfect, but it's the best I've got. So, as of Internalz 1.2, "Master Mode" combined with this text-file detection, will allow easy editing of files like "text-auto-replace"

Quote Originally Posted by daveandjen1999 View Post
    I experience the same behavior. It looks like once files have been renamed, Internalz will always display them correctly, but the native webOS apps like sound & ringtones manager, etc, still display the original filenames. Don't know why this happens.
    That's a result of the fileindexer now always updating. I think I'll add a fileindexer forced rescan to the standard FileMgr rename/move/copy functions to fix the issue.

In the meantime, you can force a fileindexer rescan via this patch I've created.
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 06/27/2010 at 03:46 AM.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Hey Jason,

Thanks for the info - Internalz is an important app

Welcome back

(Rest of my post removed because I hadn't read your post fully )
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    any chance of implimenting zip using the newly made zip and unzip from save/restore?
  7.    #127  
    Quote Originally Posted by MiDoJo View Post
    any chance of implimenting zip using the newly made zip and unzip from save/restore?
    I already have zip/rar/tar support announced for coming for v1.3

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyd View Post
    I don't know how about Czech, but there is a problem with Polish special characters. I can's see in this browser any folders which have Polish characters included. I can play mp3s from them for instance, but browser doesn't show them.
    How about Czech names? Can you see and explore tem?
    Regards,
    Krecony
  9.    #129  
    Quote Originally Posted by krecony View Post
    I don't know how about Czech, but there is a problem with Polish special characters. I can's see in this browser any folders which have Polish characters included. I can play mp3s from them for instance, but browser doesn't show them.
    How about Czech names? Can you see and explore tem?
    I have not had any testers who have Polish special characters, however I would suspect they fall under the same current fate as Chinese characters: unable to be handled by the version of mtools on the device.

One option I'm looking into is getting the newer version of mtools released as an optional package for ppl using such special characters/languages.

One workaround currently is to have hidden files shown. This avoids the use of mtools and should let special characters in files appear correctly.

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    In Internalz 1.0.1, how do you change file properties like hidden and read only? A few patches have failed to install and IPKG saved the bum "hunks" to a folder but made them read-only. I'd like to clean that up, but I can't delete the file(s).

Thanks,
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    MiDojo, How did you get Speedtest.net to run on your Pre? (assuming your sig is from the Pre).

I tried and got a message that I need to update my browser. Is there an internet (or LAN) speedtest app that runs on the Pre?
    I know my question will sound absurd to the rest of you, but I am still trying to figure out my Palm Pre Plus with WebOS 1.4.1.1.

I cannot find any of the apps you talk about (FileMgr, Internalz,WebOS Quick Install) in the App Catalog on my phone. I can download FileMgr and Internalz onto my PC, but I cannot them onto my phone. Can anyone help?
  13.    #133  
    Quote Originally Posted by hugh_h View Post
    In Internalz 1.0.1, how do you change file properties like hidden and read only? A few patches have failed to install and IPKG saved the bum "hunks" to a folder but made them read-only. I'd like to clean that up, but I can't delete the file(s).
    well, the hidden toggle would not affect patch installs, at all. And the read-only checkmark doesn't reflect linux permissions, it simply acts as an indicator of if Internalz allows write/deleting. However, in Internalz 1.2, there will be proper FAT32 read-only attribute handling and proper linux permission handling.

Quote Originally Posted by kma3211 View Post
    I know my question will sound absurd to the rest of you, but I am still trying to figure out my Palm Pre Plus with WebOS 1.4.1.1.

I cannot find any of the apps you talk about (FileMgr, Internalz,WebOS Quick Install) in the App Catalog on my phone. I can download FileMgr and Internalz onto my PC, but I cannot them onto my phone. Can anyone help?
    The apps are considered homebrew and will probably never be on the App Catalog, for various reasons. Just use WebOS Quick Install to install both the FileMgr and Internalz ipk files and the app will appear in your launcher

I don't have anything called "WebOS Quick Install" on my phone now, where do I get it? And after I get it, do I use my phone's browser to download the FileMgr and Internalz? Will they automatically install if I have the WebOS Quick Install?
  15.    #135  
    Quote Originally Posted by kma3211 View Post
    I don't have anything called "WebOS Quick Install" on my phone now, where do I get it? And after I get it, do I use my phone's browser to download the FileMgr and Internalz? Will they automatically install if I have the WebOS Quick Install?
    WebOS Quick Install is a desktop computer program that installs the ipk files to your device.

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Getting into the "Homebrew" apps. takes a bit of effort. You'll want the newest Java environment, the WebOS Quick Install package, along with "Filemanager" and "Internalz". When you get all that working, get "PreWare", so you can install apps and patches directly into your Pre!.

The thing that made all this confusing for me is that there are THREE sources for apps, that I know of:
    Palm's app catalog (accessible through the icon that IS on your phone now).
    PreCentral's app catalog, (accessible from "Apps" in the header of this and ever page on this site.)
    and Homebrew apps -- sort of like alpha or beta versions, also available from the apps page here.

Rather than try to repeat what is already done, hover over the "apps" menu word above, and go down to "How to Install Homebrew Apps", and follow the steps.

I find it easier to type in "webos20090606" than the other one. Don't worry, there's an app that gives you a toggle for "development mode" once you get into all this! And don't be fooled when you start typing in the code and you start getting digits. JUST KEEP TYPING and you'll get the offer to go into development mode when you're done!

Another thing that tripped me up is that, when I had my phone in development mode, and plugged it in and selected "charge only" mode, but Novacom didn't load correctly. I had to make my PC forget everything about the Pre (the USB connection) before I got Novacom, the communications driver, to load and work. You can get a great utility to do this from nirsoft.net (not .com), called USBdeview.

You can get WebOS Quick Install from a link right below the second Pre screen view. The other essentials are linked nearby.

The first time you run the WebOS Quick Install on your PC, it takes a LONG time to boot-strap, then the second time and every time thereafter, you can use Quick Install to load apps through the USB cable, but it's easier to use Preware to install using WiFi.

If you have troubles, post a message, and remember, this is primarily Linux, which is more or less a child of Unix, and the rule of Unix is, "If it was hard to write, it should be hard to use"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post

Internalz 1.2 has the current target features:
    • "Master Mode" for optional unrestricted write/delete access on the device.
    • Dynamic plain-text vs. binary file determination for the Text Editor
    • Text Editor word wrap option (hopefully)
    • Option to choose Text Editor endline character format
    • Read-Only option in the Info screen will now toggle the FAT32 read-only attribute for files in /media/internal/
    • Files/folders outside of /media/internal/ will now have access to a Linux permissions map
    • Faster loading for Image Viewer with files in /media/internal/
    • Option to email files (via "share" button on the Info screen)
    • Hopefully I'll be able to get my HTML viewer ready for 1.2. So that you can choose to have HTML files (from /media/internal/) open in a web viewer rather than the Text Editor
    • There's also 2 other secret features I hope to have ready for 1.2 that I won't mention in case they don't make it for the release. But if they do, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

What I would really like to see is file search capability. Any chance this will be included in 1.2, or is that slated for a later version?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
  18.    #138  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    What I would really like to see is file search capability. Any chance this will be included in 1.2, or is that slated for a later version?
    It is planned for a later version, yep

restart your phone. worked for me... i was about to post on this thread and decided... hey... why dont i just power cycle this summbich... and it worked.

edit: when you restart your phone, you're also restarting everything installed... ie: luna, java, etc.
    Jason, just read about the secret 'install feature' coming to internalz. Sounds great! Thanks for everything you've done!

My question is will we be able to install patches via internalz? It seems like I have more and more patches installed via WOSQI that aren't submitted to Preware or are just taking too long to get approved. This would be the last step in cutting the umbilical cord between my pre and pc.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast