webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developer Forums >  Canuck Coding > Generic Service Frontend
Generic Service Frontend

Old 04/14/2010, 11:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Legend

Homebrew webOS services are becoming more and more common. They power many popular homebrew applications like Internalz, Preware, LED Torch, MyTether?, CPUScaler, AutoCorrect? Edit, etc.

However, one frustrating thing is that, in most cases, there's nothing in the launcher after the install. In fact, there's no way to know if the service is installed and running like it should. This means users are left wondering if the install completed and leaves them without an easy way to uninstall the service

So I'd like to help fill that void and give homebrew service developers an easy way to provide immediate feedback to the user. So I've created this opensource Generic Service Frontend application.

And for developers interested, here's the best part. The application is organized in such a way that to configure it for your service, you only need to edit the appinfo.json file and provide your own icon app.

That's it! Literally takes only a few seconds to setup

The Generic Service Frontend is available for download at generic-service-frontend - Project Hosting on Google Code

Enjoy

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook

Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 12/17/2010 at 03:32 AM.
Jason Robitaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2010, 03:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Legend

I've done a fairly large update to Generic Service Frontend.

With Node.js services coming with webOS 2.0, Generic Service Frontend is all the more useful for both App Catalog developers and homebrew developers.

It provides a pre-made app to serve as a frontend for any service you make. All you need to do is edit the appinfo.json file and that's it

v1.1 - December 17, 2010
- App now stays visible in launcher, so you can use Palm-style prerm scripts to support in-launcher uninstallation.
- Supports a custom description paragraph of text.
- Optional support for a donation link
- Added support for full changelog display

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
Jason Robitaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by mjkjr, vorber

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0