Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I want to start downloading homebrew apps but can't get QuickInstall to run.

I have a Pre Plus through Verizon.

I have downloaded the .jar file for QuickInstall 3.02 and tried opening it by double-clicking it. All that happens is a command prompt window pops up really fast but then disappears. By double-clicking it multiple times I have been able to tell that it is saying 'Error: Incorrect Command Line'.

I read something that said to open it the first time by right-clicking it and opening with Java. Tried that, it downloaded WebOSdoctor, but I still get the same command prompt window when trying to open QuickInstall.

I don't know enough about the program yet, so I tried it with the phone connected in Dev Mode and also with the phone disconnected. Same thing.

I have gone to the verify Java link and verified that I have the latest version of Java.

I am running windows 7 64 bit.

I don't know if this is contributing to the problem, but when I connect the Pre Plus the computer said it couldn't finish installing the drivers because it couldn't install Novacom which I have no idea about. But I thought I had read something about getting Novacom correctly installed on Windows 7 by running QuickInstall....well obviously that's not an option because QuickInstall doesn't seem to want to run.

Can anybody help?
    you need novacomd to get it to run follow the steps in the thread to install it on windows 7
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Ok, so what do I have to do to get that to run? I tried some process I found on here involving some file called Orca and an archiving program called 7 zip but that didn't seem to do anything. Any suggestions?
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I just downloaded another novacom .msi file from the web and ran it. I then went into the devices and printers link in Windows 7 and the Pre shows up with no errors - it says it is working properly. But still Quick Install won't open. I still get the command prompt that pops up but goes away quickly. This leads me to believe the Novacom thing is not the problem.
    This thread may help you temporarily. I am having exactly the same problem with WOSQI (and WebOS Doctor, and WebOS Repair Utility) - I think it must be some problem with Java, although I'm able to open other Java applets just fine. I've never had the problem in the past, so I'm not sure what has happened.
    Last edited by Pegsie; 04/04/2010 at 08:03 PM. Reason: URL not working
    Quote Originally Posted by scosch View Post
    I just downloaded another novacom .msi file from the web and ran it. I then went into the devices and printers link in Windows 7 and the Pre shows up with no errors - it says it is working properly. But still Quick Install won't open. I still get the command prompt that pops up but goes away quickly. This leads me to believe the Novacom thing is not the problem.
    Something appears to be goofed up with the way your system is responding to double-clicking a file with the extension of .jar. You can get around that by
    manually invoking java and pointing to the .jar file - in fact, it appears that you may have already done that, since you mentioned that it did come up and download the "doctor" file. Bring up a command console window by clicking on the Start button and typing cmd in the search box. Click on cmd.exe in the list that comes up. First, locate java on your system by entering the following in the window:

ftype jarfile

you should get a response something like this...

jarfile="C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1" %*

next cd to the folder that contains webosquickinstall.jar and issue the command:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -jar webosquickinstall.jar

Please notice that I kept the quotation marks at both ends but changed javaw.exe to java.exe.

If WebOS Quick Install now comes up correctly, you could put the command line into a file ending in .bat and then use that to run the program. Or, you can attempt to determine trouble with Java running .jar files on your system. Perhaps your results to "ftype jarfile" were different than I have shown.