Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jamminjim0o7 View Post
    Webos repair is driving me nutty! I try to open it on my verizon pre plus on 1.4.1 and is says that my webos dr. vers is not matching my phones. So i got webos dr. straight from palm and it is the 1.4.1.1 version and repair will not open it! Pls help!
    Double check to see that you got the verizon doctor and not the sprint doctor and that the version matches as I do believe there is 1.4.1 and 1.4.1.1 and not sure if both are on both carriers. Outside of that I'm at a loss.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    thanks for this, i needed it real bad!
    I'm on Verizon too and have the same problem. 1.4.1 and repair utility will not open it. Says wrong version, tried to redownload both the utility and the doctor. Same thing...
    I'm on Verizon and am having the same compatibility issue. I know I've dl'd the Verizon version...well, that's the one I'm selecting, anyway. Any ideas?
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I have one idea i think would be appreciated .. can you add an option to save the files to an archive that get replaced, so the user can restore the files if later they decide it should not have been replaced?

Also, an option to just remove installed themes and re-install the default theme from webOSdoctor would be nice, without messing with the patches.
    Several folks, including myself, are wondering what Error 2 and Error 5 messages are. Is there a wiki or guide somewhere - or can a moderator - explain these error messages and if there is action we need to take to avoid receiving these error messages?

Many thanks!
    Network error is fixed.
    Last edited by SFHandyman; 05/15/2010 at 10:08 PM.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I started running the repair utility roughly 18 hours ago. Got up this morning to find a modified file it was dealing with, /etc/udev/mount.blacklist, I restored it. It scanned for a few minutes, found /etc/version modified, I restored it. That was the last file to scan, and so it was done.

It took between 3 and 4 seconds each file to scan.

1. Is it normal to take this long overall/each file?
    2. Is it possible to scan through everything first, then come back to deal with the modified files it found? This way you don't have to sit here and watch them come up one at a time. (No, I did not sit here for 18 hours. )
    3. Can you place an archive file on the webOS device that the utility can come back to and use to continue later or allow you to delay a decision to restore a file? (mentioned earlier)
    4. Most scanned files had a found and expected md5sum. Some files, once scanned, were found to have a backup THEN a found and expected md5sum. What was done in these cases? Was the back up file left there untouched? Was it copied over the working file? Was nothing done? Do I need to go back and check the log.txt file and restore individual files by using the repair utility?
    5. I performed this step because I got bit by the Palm 'cat'astrophy on Saturday. Following a partial reset, got my phone mostly back to whole, but though patches previously installed were still working, none of them were recognized by Preware or webOSQI. While running the repair utility, I was not given the opportunity to replace any file modified by a patch (other than the 2 mentioned above) and I know many files are still modified. Where the files with backups mentioned in number 4 those files modified by patches? Do I need to restore them individually? (I started Preware and of course it still does not see the patches.)

UPDATE: I added the log from the scan edited to include only issues found, the 2 files I restored and all the files that were found to have a backup.

Thanks in advance for anyone's assistance in working this through.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jdod; 05/17/2010 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Add text log
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    thanks can wait to use this
    Quote Originally Posted by SFHandyman View Post
    Network error is fixed.
    What error are you referring to? Does this have anything to do with the error 2 error 5 problem many people have been having?
    Fixed it nevermind.
    Last edited by Chadney; 05/17/2010 at 03:11 PM.
    after the great app fail on the 15th. I got logged out of my palm profile and then I got relogged in after it was restored and all my patches in webos quick install appear to be nonexistant and preware has vanished from my phone icons. All the patches I installed are still active and are working fine; however, quick install cannot find any patches when installed. I ran this program and it said that it restored a few files however it doesn't seem to have fixed anything. Preware is still missing and patches are apparently nonexistant. I ran it with verbose logging but no override, any suggestions?
    I'm not real familiar with recovering from the getting logged out of your profile issue that has effected some people at various times but I would go ahead and use webos repair utility to restore all of the files that were patched as a worse case thing. But before doing that if preware and any other apps that appear as missing are listed in the apps list then you should just uninstall and reinstall them. After preware appears properly installed then there is an emergency thing in one of the webos-internals feeds that should correct the patches not visible in the feeds thing. I'm not sure which one(s) you should run though so it may be best to ask in the preware thread which one(s) to run and in what order. At that point if patches aren't seen as installed that are installed go ahead and run the scan and replace all patched files and install all of the patches all over.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    I just ran the entire program, deleted all my patches and still cannot find preware in quick install. This is not good. Haha any advice? I've tried newer versions of quick install and am not sure what else to do. Please help!!!
    preware is in the webos internals (pre) feed (or pixi) and not the (all) feed. Let us know if you now see it in quick install.
    I used this for the first time in a very long time today intending to replace a couple files I had altered during trying to make a new patch. To my surprise I was only prompted three times about files were modified. One I knew was one I replaced for my browser patch which was the overlay image. The other two were files in etc which I clicked ignore since I'm not aware of why they changed and if replacing them would do something I wouldn't want. I looked through the log and saw many backup found and md5 matching the backup to the doctor. I have 23 patches installed so I assume by default it is supposed to do this and not bother me for files that have a valid backup. But I wanted to post here just in case and to be assured it is in working order. The last time I used repair utility it prompted about every single file that was changed just to give an idea of how long I have not needed to use it.
    Hey!

I have a question about this utility becuse I'm (I guess...) a bit confused about what it's for.

My eyes are reading this as a way to put the correct versions of files back on my phone that were messed up from bad patch instals/removals, correct. I see this as a way to avoid The Doctor (or an attempt to) correct?

Example: My blink the button for message notification" doesn't work right and that is because the patach wasn't ready for 1.4.* when Palm did that nativly. Now the file that controls that cannot be replaced by removing the patch (which I did months ago) and the "Emergeny File Verification" script says it'd the wrong version too.

I could use this to repair that and NOT fully Doctor my phone; just let it repair that file, correct?

Thank you!

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Hey!

I have a question about this utility becuse I'm (I guess...) a bit confused about what it's for.

My eyes are reading this as a way to put the correct versions of files back on my phone that were messed up from bad patch instals/removals, correct. I see this as a way to avoid The Doctor (or an attempt to) correct?

Example: My blink the button for message notification" doesn't work right and that is because the patach wasn't ready for 1.4.* when Palm did that nativly. Now the file that controls that cannot be replaced by removing the patch (which I did months ago) and the "Emergeny File Verification" script says it'd the wrong version too.

I could use this to repair that and NOT fully Doctor my phone; just let it repair that file, correct?

Thank you!

M.
    Hi. You are mostly correct. If you run the Repair Utility with Override Compatibility, it will remove all patches and tweaks, including corrupt ones, replacing them with the correct files from the Doctor after which you can reinstall the patches you use.

If you want to correct just one file, you must pull the correct file from the Doctor and then replace the corrupted one with it. I do not know the steps and commands for this process, but I know that people like StoneRyno do, so if you choose to go that route, I am sure he, or someone else who knows how, will be glad to help you.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    To restore a single file with repair utility choose the Restore Specific File item from the Tools menu and enter the path with file name in the dialog box. You can copy paste that from the patch file.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    All I can say is, "Thank you!!!"
    I ran a repair/scan yesterday. Then one with override compatibility on to get rid of the messed up theme and patches. Then a non-"o.c." scan today to fix messaging. I think I have everything right, and didn't have to start from scratch.
    The only thing that I'm still having trouble with is getting uber-kernel or some other 800mhz kernel working properly. There still seems to be a remnant that won't let me install anything, but it's not showing up anywhere that I can remove or fix it. Still might have to do the full Doctor thing, but working ok for now.
    Oh, I can't seem to get the ringer/mute switch icon back on the top bar... 2 hunks fail. Seems that there is a remnant that is still left.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast