Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
    If we're an ATT Pre, since it's near compatible with the Verizon phone, could we put it in as a Verizon phone for the Repair Utility? Or is that not recommended?

I'm really in need of repairing some parts of my Pre. Namely, I've noticed that I have some duplicate folders from a theme install gone wrong and now it's preventing a few icons from properly changing.

Sorry if this sounds kind of desperate...and kind of noobish.
    Question, are you able to go back to using WebOS Quick Install without doing anything special after using the utility?
    Quote Originally Posted by darkladyxion959 View Post
    If we're an ATT Pre, since it's near compatible with the Verizon phone, could we put it in as a Verizon phone for the Repair Utility? Or is that not recommended?

I'm really in need of repairing some parts of my Pre. Namely, I've noticed that I have some duplicate folders from a theme install gone wrong and now it's preventing a few icons from properly changing.

Sorry if this sounds kind of desperate...and kind of noobish.
    I doubt this is recommended.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Hi all,

I'm back from a few weeks of personal time away from developing and I see my last release had some issues for AT&T users.

I believe I've figured out the issue and will have a fix out soon
    Jason - any update on an ETA for WOSRU on an ATT Pre+?
    Last edited by swieder; 07/17/2010 at 09:32 AM.
    thanx a mil just running repair now
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    My Palm crashed and reverted to a virgin state. It would not let me sign in on my old profile, so I created a new one with the same info. The patches still work, but don't show up in WebOsQuickInstall so I can delete them. I ran WebOsRepairUtility, it repaired one file /version, but still cannot see the patches. Should I run it and erase all, then reinstall, or is there a way to "see" the patches again? I have no idea why my Palm Pre Plus did the above, except I changed a battery.
    Thanks for the help.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdunn View Post
    My Palm crashed and reverted to a virgin state. It would not let me sign in on my old profile, so I created a new one with the same info. The patches still work, but don't show up in WebOsQuickInstall so I can delete them. I ran WebOsRepairUtility, it repaired one file /version, but still cannot see the patches. Should I run it and erase all, then reinstall, or is there a way to "see" the patches again? I have no idea why my Palm Pre Plus did the above, except I changed a battery.
    Thanks for the help.
    I'm not sure I follow what you're saying so I'm going to say what I think you're saying and try to offer advice. First did you have your correct login info when trying to log into your original profile? If so did you try contacting tech support to find out why you couldn't? Second when you say changed the battery, did you shutdown the device through the shutdown option before pulling the battery out? If not it may have had something to do with, though not nearly as likely as some other cause. When you say the patches still work, do you mean they are still present on the device but don't show up as installed in quick install? If so this is to be expected due to the erase that occurred taking the device back to "virgin state". If you also had preware (up to date version) installed and had an up to date saved package list and also used save/restore (up to date version) regularly then you will have a backup of the up to date saved package list and simply can reapply the patches from the saved package list so they once again appear as installed.

Otherwise it sounds like you got your work cut out getting everything back to how it was before. If you aren't using preware for saved package list and save/restore to backup certain apps data including the saved package list I would recommend them. Between them and the stuff the palm backup covers you should be able to return your device back to as if something such as happened in your post never happened. Any apps you have that are missing from save/restore make sure to post in the thread so that they can be added. What save/restore backs up is community driven so the more people who take an active roll in seeing their apps get added the more apps it will support. Also note you may still use quick install as you do now in the event you previously weren't using preware. I use both depending on what I need to do.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Thanks for the reply. I did call tech support at Verizon and they didn't have a clue; they tried to contact Palm and couldn't reach them. I ended up using WebOsRepair utility to delete the patches and then reinstalled. I had to redo all my login info, email accounts, etc and set up a new profile. I do use preware, but not the backup/restore utility, there is a backup on the device, but no way I can find to restore. Lost my apps, including ones I bought, and everything is working fine now. Verizon gave me a $15 credit for my lost apps, which was generous. I will call Palm to find out about my lost profile.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I wrote this once and posted, but it didn't show up so I will try again. I took out the battery without shutting down, then when it resumed, it started from scratch. when I tried to log in, it said my email address was not in the database. I called Verizon who didn't really know what to do, he tried to transfer me to Palm, but they were closed. He told me to start a new profile, which I did, making it the same as the original one. When the phone started, all my apps were gone, as well as my email accounts, etc, but the patches were there, but not recognized by Preware, Quickinstall, etc. I thought it would be best to run WebOsRepair to delete the patches, and it worked great. I then reinstalled the patches and every thing seems fine now. Verizon gave me $15 credit for the lost apps, which was very generous. I will call Palm to see why my profile got lost. i will also install the Backup/restore app. Thanks again.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Called Palm, and they said they were having trouble with their server, and that is why I had the problems. Also, I had signed in with the wrong email address- it was set up by the Verizon salesman, and he used a different email than I wanted. All is well now, except some of my patches were not erased by the WebOsRepair and cannot be reinstalled and don't work correctly- when the update comes, I will start over, using WinDoctor to erase all. . He said that the next update will be soon, adding new functions and fixing some bugs, maybe a month, and an update later will really be something, making the Palm Pre one of the most versatile smartphone on the market.
    a repair a day will keep the doctor away... Well maybe not a day but you get the point
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdunn View Post
    Called Palm, and they said they were having trouble with their server, and that is why I had the problems. Also, I had signed in with the wrong email address- it was set up by the Verizon salesman, and he used a different email than I wanted. All is well now, except some of my patches were not erased by the WebOsRepair and cannot be reinstalled and don't work correctly- when the update comes, I will start over, using WinDoctor to erase all. . He said that the next update will be soon, adding new functions and fixing some bugs, maybe a month, and an update later will really be something, making the Palm Pre one of the most versatile smartphone on the market.
    It's up to you if you want to do a clean start using the doctor. It won't hurt any and will be easy to start fresh if you backup all your apps data with save/restore if there is any of that sort of stuff in need of saving. You can manually replace files for the patches that didn't get cleared out using quick installs send file feature. Just extract using 7zip the files from the doctor and the path for the files are found in the patch file source. A visit to the preware feeds url in a PC browser will get you the source for those patches.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    hi
    i'm getting a message that the webosdoctor doesn't match to my current os
    i tried redownloading the latest webosdoctor from webosrepair utility, but it yields the same message.
    is there a 1.4.5 webosdoctor for bell mobility available through webosrepair utility?
    thanks in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by rivum View Post
    hi
    i'm getting a message that the webosdoctor doesn't match to my current os
    i tried redownloading the latest webosdoctor from webosrepair utility, but it yields the same message.
    is there a 1.4.5 webosdoctor for bell mobility available through webosrepair utility?
    thanks in advance!
    Yes.

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Webos_Doctor_Versions

M.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    thanks!
    that file, although listed as a .jar on the webpage, downloads as a .zip
    surely i can't just rename to .jar, can I?

**EDIT**
    it appears that i can. thanks for your help, Xanadu!
    has there been any luck with ATT Palm Pre Plus in the WebOS Repair Utility yet?
    While it has been stated that Repair Utility will work with patched / themed phones, I haven't found anything about Repair Utility and replacement Kernels.

I'm running UberKernel right now - if I run Repair Utility, will it try to 'repair' the kernel or will it "know" what to do the same way it "knows" in the case of patches? Can I keep the kernel on if I want to use this or should I uninstall it and then use the Repair Util?
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    While it has been stated that Repair Utility will work with patched / themed phones, I haven't found anything about Repair Utility and replacement Kernels.

I'm running UberKernel right now - if I run Repair Utility, will it try to 'repair' the kernel or will it "know" what to do the same way it "knows" in the case of patches? Can I keep the kernel on if I want to use this or should I uninstall it and then use the Repair Util?
    The kernel won't be touched by the repair utility. In fact I don't think the kernel is even part of webos doctor. Please see the uber kernel thread or thread for which ever kernel is in use for details on uninstall and/or recovery if there is a problem with the kernel.
    Thank you, StoneRyno.

Just to clarify, there is no problem with my Kernel or its function, but I am having other weird issues that I think Repair Utility will fix as it has done so in the past. I just wasn't sure whether it was safe to run it while having a custom Kernel on. Now i am
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreb View Post
    has there been any luck with ATT Palm Pre Plus in the WebOS Repair Utility yet?
    I could really, really use this too.