Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Jason ~ Here is ONE perfect example of why you have helped make my WebOs experience such a good experience: I was studying for the bar exam tonight. I wanted my screen to stay on while using a stopwatch app during practice tests. Hmmmm, I bet there is a patch for that . . . I look . . . and sure enough "No Auto-Off While Charging" by Jason Robitaille.

I have invested a lot in Palm (a lot for my $ standards). Palm needs all the help they can get right now; both from a development standpoint and a PRPRPR $standpoint$. $With$ $whatever$ $is$ $going$ $on$, $I$ $hope$ $that$ $Palm$ $proceeds$ $with$ $great$ $care$ $and$ $caution$. $There$ $is$ $no$ $doubt$ $that$ $the$ $PreCentral$ $Community$ $is$ $on$ $your$ $side$. $The$ $last$ $thing$ $Palm$ $wants$ $to$ $do$ $is$ $turn$ $this$ $community$ $against$ $it$.

Thanks for all your work ~ Jamison
    F that if they start taking people like Jason out I am switching phones. The Pre without patches is just not good enough for me.
    If the homebrew movement is ceased, then my desire to stick it out with Palm ceases too. It is all the things this community brings to the device that keeps me with the device...not Palm.

I refuse to be bound by a device I can't customize to my preferences or run software I want to run. I am all ready "not happy" that the Pre will not do a simple task as play wma, wmv and some other formats that I get sent to me everyday.

So, if Palm cuts off their nose to spite their face...then it looks like Android here I come.

KippLitz
    A big thanks to Jason, and all who have helped since day 1. It never stops to amaze me, companies in a struggling economy literally doing stupid things at stupid times....

I feel like I am getting ready to run the Indy 500 in a Yugo with a major case of the squirts, all because of Palm's never-ending brilliance....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kipplitz View Post
    If the homebrew movement is ceased, then my desire to stick it out with Palm ceases too. It is all the things this community brings to the device that keeps me with the device...not Palm.
    First, Jason has contributed a lot of great stuff to the webOS homebrew community and I wanted to add my personal thanks to him here as well.

It's important to note however that there are a lot of homebrew application, service, and patch developers in the community, and so far Palm has just been incredibly supportive of the homebrew community, from making it easy to access a root shell on the device, to publicly thanking homebrew developers in multiple conference events, and in dozens of other ways.

See Sprint open developer conference, for just one example, @ 58:37 --

We watch the communities, we're very grateful for the work that you do, and in the future we want to do more to reach out to you guys who have created these communities and create first-class relationships with you. So I just wanted to let you know that we really appreciate the work that you're doing.-- Ben Galbraith (Palm Director of Developer Relations)
    At this point since we don't know what Jason's reasons are for being unhappy, pointless accusations against Palm for being unfriendly to homebrew developers, frankly don't match up at all with Palm's behavior to date (which has generally been outstandingly friendly to homebrew).

I'd say, let's wait this out, find out what the concerns are, and then discuss them. Personally, I expect that this is just a misunderstanding and will be quickly resolved.

Eric Duprey (destinal)
    Webos-Internals
    JayCanuck tweet:

So I got to talk to the almighty @bgalbs and @dalmaer of Palm. Seems to have been a big case of miscommunication. Everything's good now

Glad to hear....Thanks for your hard work. You make the Pre a great phone!
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    ...If they blow this situation with Jason, then it will likely end the home brew webOS movement....
    Absolutley not true!

Jason's contributions to webOS are immeasurable, but he is not Atlas. The whole of webOS has never rested solely upon his shoulders. He was there at the beginning, true, but so were many, many others, including me.

Whatever Jason decides to do, and I certainly hope he stays, the Homebrew community will survive.
    Last edited by Colonel Kernel; 03/11/2010 at 12:44 AM.
    Here's my response to everything: http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...ings-fine.html
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    Absoutley not true!

Jason's contributions to webOS are immeasurable, but he is not Atlas. The whole of webOS has never rested solely upon his shoulders. He was there at the beginning, true, but so were many, many others, including me.

Whatever Jason decides to do, and I certainly hope he stays, the Homebrew community will survive.
    Yes, I think some of the comments in this thread (not by Jason, but by others) do great disservice to many other developers deeply involved in the homebrew community.

I also think that many of the comments in this thread also do great disservice to Palm and the people in the Developer Relations Team who go out of their way (often going out on a limb) to assist homebrew developers to track changes in future webOS versions with early firmware access, and to make sure that homebrew developers presenting at conferences get books and stickers and phones to give away, and lots of other behind-the-scenes communication.

It's interesting to see who comes out of the woodwork when there's the faintest sniff of controversy, and heaps hate on Palm with absolutely no evidence at all.

Jason is a great developer, but one among many.

Nothing in Preware, WebOS Internals, Patching (apart from the many specific patches he has contributed, but still compared to the 150+ patches that other authors have contributed), AUPT, homebrew packaging, homebrew distribution, homebrew installation standards, preware.org server infrastructure, service installation standards, etc, depends on Jason. Nor do any of those things depend on any other single individual.

Let's remember this is a community, not a cult.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 03/11/2010 at 01:02 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    The pressure is on Chuq and Palm.

If they blow this situation with Jason, then it will likely end the home brew webOS movement.

Since whatever is going on involves an NDA, It probably involves lawyers. Over zealous corporate lawyers tried to shut down a McDonnalds family restaurant in Scotland that was around long before MickyD ever existed. This was a world wide black eye for McDonalds.

The Apple suits against HTC have all the ear marks of another fiasco for Apple.

If Jason's situation involves over zealous lawyers, then Palm better fire them quick.

Chuq and Palm we are watching this closely. My recommendation is cut your losses very quickly!
    Looks like Ben and Dion saved the day.

Congrats to Palm for the spectacular recovery.

Please try to eliminate these kind of "miscommunications" in the future.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Looks like Ben and Dion saved the day.

Congrats to Palm for the spectacular recovery.

Please try to eliminate these kind of "miscommunications" in the future.
    I have to say this, because I think Palm is getting beaten up on unfairly.

My take on this is that this was Jason's misunderstanding where he made a huge public scene about something that, as he said, was a "private issue" that he should have asked Palm privately about and gotten confirmation on before stirring up a huge public outcry. Much ado about nothing.

The way you quote "miscommunications" implies that this was some mistake made by Palm, that there was some slight against homebrew was somehow Palm's fault and they retracted their position. There's no evidence that this is the case.

Congrats to Palm for their amazing record of support of the homebrew community. Let's not suggest that they somehow tarnished that record based on one developer's unsubstantiated complaint.

Eric Duprey (destinal)
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456