1.    #1  
    I am trying to add some of my own changes to the text-edit-autoreplace file in WebOS 1.4.

I thought I did all my research on the topic, including testing the Auto Correct Edit app and looking at the 3000 Google words patch, etc. Ultimately I decided to simply make my own changes to the original file, as explained here:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...stments-2.html

But ---> I cannot get Quick Install to actually receive the file from my Pre for editing. When I try, i get "Error 8 - file open failed"

I did have the "100 More Autoreplace" patch installed, and have removed it via QI (had errors from Preware).

I have removed all of the other auto-edit apps and patches, and have been able to remove and install a variety of other (unrelated) patches using QI. I am able to see all installed patches and apps through QI. Essentially, everything else seems to be working fine.

I am using QI 3.02. I have turned Dev Mode off then on again. Nothing solves the problem.
    why don't you just send the edited file? I did extract mine, made edits and sent it via wosqi. In that thread you're referring to, there are several edited files. Try and upload one of those. Report back the outcome please. Make sure you have the filename correct (no '.txt').
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    why don't you just send the edited file? I did extract mine, made edits and sent it via wosqi. In that thread you're referring to, there are several edited files. Try and upload one of those. Report back the outcome please. Make sure you have the filename correct (no '.txt').
    Thanks for the suggestion. Too easy, I guess? ;-P

... although I think I wasn't really looking to introduce some of the mistakes discussed in that referenced 3000 thread. Anyway ...

I was just able to 'send' the long version of the file, and the changes appear to have been accepted by the Pre.

Then for kicks, I tried to 'receive' back the file I had just sent. Also appears to have worked.

So until it happens again ... the solution to "Error 8" appears to be to find an alternate source for the desired file and send it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dhkeller View Post
    But ---> I cannot get Quick Install to actually receive the file from my Pre for editing. When I try, i get "Error 8 - file open failed"
    Ditto.

So I checked the directory contents using the Linux Commandline in WOSQI. The directory is empty!

Code:
    ls -alF /etc/palm/autoreplace/en_us/
    returned nada...

So I downloaded dhkeller's list, added my stuff and named it 'text-edit-autoreplace' and Sent it to /etc/palm/autoreplace/en_us and it works just fine.

The file now appears in the command line as well.
    Is this only possible if the Pre is rooted? I'm failing right now: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...rrect-off.html

Here's the answer that helped my to finally get rid of the autocorrection:

Quote Originally Posted by prolongexistence View Post
    You can use Internalz to copy the file to the /media portion and then USB to your computer to edit and then copy back to the correct location. Or, you can edit it directly in Internalz.

Note: For either option, you must first go into Internalz preferences and turn on Master Mode (scroll all the way to the bottom of the preferences page)
    Last edited by splashote; 02/16/2011 at 03:17 AM.