Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey all...I'm just having a freakin' wonderful month with this stupid phone!!
    If it's not one thing, it's another...
    Yesterday, I was using WebOS Quick Install 3.01...and no problem!

Today?? heh heh...TODAY, I plug in to my desktop via USB and it shows that it's hooked up on the display....but WebOS Quick Install insists that no device is hooked up! Keeps telling me to plug in device then hit OK. When I hit OK, I'm informed that no device is detected!! Unbelievable!!

This also occurred on my laptop and I had to switch USB ports 3 times in order to get into my files that are loaded on my phone... Anyone having this issue??
    I'm just not getting it!! Also...I JUST used WebOS Quick Install earlier this morning....about 4-5 hours ago...and now nada, zilch, zippo!!

I refuse to believe that there's something wrong with my phone. This MUST be an error on my part...but, for the life of me, I cannot discern what that may be! Can anyone, if they're not busy, please give me an idea or two so that I might be able to use QI today??? I have to load a couple IPKs and it's driving me nuts that I can't accomplish such an easy and mundane task!

Thanks for bearing with this ridiculous post and I appreciate any and all help! Much mahalos... In the meantime, I'll keep plugging and unplugging my phone....what else can I do, right?

On a side note, I HAVE noticed that occasionally my device will register as being connected on my desktops display (and the Pre's screen as well) but I'm also getting a USB connection error even though it's obvious that it's connected. Very strange. Is it perhaps that my USB cable is cracked??
    That wouldn't be much of an issue if Palm hadn't decided to start using the smartphone mini-USB cable instead of the standard mini-USB cable. I understand that this is the standard now...but, I have about 20 USB and mini-USB cables...and NONE of them will work. I only have the one that came with my phone...yeesh!
    click on file >options> attempt reinstallation of novacom
    Yeah I had problems with it yesterday, wasn't recognizing it either.
    Though it was clearly shown it was connected to my computer.
    cables have been going bad for some people (cable separation right at either side causes that charging works but no data transfer)so maybe that's part of the problem. But usually its novacom driver or someone forgot to renable dev mode. Once in a while its the usb port to. And also try rebooting both the phone and computer. These are the most common possibilities .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  5.    #5  
    Yeah...thank you so much! I'm doing it right now. Hopefully, this will work...I have a feeling that this is what it is because I might have tapped that button earlier this morning and closed out my session before finishing the re-installation... OOPS! Total noob...or is it boob? Thanks again!

****Quick update!! That WAS it!! You all are incredible! Thank you for such a quick answer...rock 'n' roll!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Worked like a charm, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by couch1970 View Post
    Yeah...thank you so much! I'm doing it right now. Hopefully, this will work...I have a feeling that this is what it is because I might have tapped that button earlier this morning and closed out my session before finishing the re-installation... OOPS! Total noob...or is it boob? Thanks again!

****Quick update!! That WAS it!! You all are incredible! Thank you for such a quick answer...rock 'n' roll!!
    what was it????? Do tell. Oh and your welcome ha ha!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by couch1970 View Post

What was IT? You've left us in the dark.
    I think his messages implied that it was the resintall of Novacom. It just worked for me!
    im pretty sure he forgot to put it back in developer mode, it has to be on, in order recognize your pre
    thank you all very much!!! had the same prob and the novacom re installation worked like a charm - cookies for all of you!!
  12.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by pink soul View Post
    What was IT? You've left us in the dark.
    Sorry I "left you in the dark" but the truth is...IT did NOT work. If you read the posts above mine, you'll see that I was told to re-install NOVACOM...and it really seemed to have worked right after...

However....I'm STILL having those problems...and I'm not sure what it is. It's possible that my USB cord is frayed...but it STILL works when I use it to charge so I'm not sure if I buy that.
    I really have no idea why I cannot plug my device in to my USB ports on either my laptop or desktop...but, there ya have it!

I have to reboot and hold my USB cord in a certain way and hope it will read. It SHOWS that my Palm Pre is connected when I disconnect...but if I go to My Computer directory, it only shows "Removable Disk" and upon opening THAT directory, there's nothing...empty...which means that I'm getting conflicting reports from my computers...

All I can think of is...perhaps the cord is done. I have had it since July 1st, 2009...and I do use it constantly to upload files and remove them.... could be wear and tear.

Again...I do apologize for not spelling it out and telling you all what "IT" was...but when I wrote that post, there were only a few ahead of it...and to me, it seemed pretty self-evident what IT was... Sorry. I forgot that people don't have time to read each post and want everything told word for word to them since time is at a premium.

My bad! Good luck to all of you. I'm sure that IT will most likely be the solution for you....IT being re-installing NOVACOM...
    As for me?? I'll just have to assume that THAT is not working for me and will try and see if I can replace THAT! Lol...
    Now say you are sorry to your Pre for calling it a stupid phone, lol.
  14.    #15  
    Yeah...I'm ok with the phone.. It's the mini-USB (or is it micro-USB now?) cable that I'm upset with.. I'm yelling at it left and right! I've never had a cable wear down so soon! And I abuse my cables most of the time...stepping on them...bending them instead of coiling them...blah blah blah. So I'm mad that I have to go out and find another one...knowing full well that no store in Chicago will actually carry one.
    So this means I have to order online...which REALLY ****es me off. Yeah...it's only $4 for the cable...but it's freakin' $9 for shipping??? ***?? That's outrageous, right?? And I don't want to hear how some cables cost $20-$30 because this isn't ceramic-coated fiber-optic cable buried 20 miles below sea-level...if that even made any sense!

Ha ha...if it didn't, I don't care 'cause I'm still laughing at what I said... No wonder I have no friends...lol
    I've got the same problem. I'm on my second replacement phone, new cables, new phone, new everything. i have dev mode on, did the novacom re installation, and still i get a no device detected message. It's actually quite frustrating. It worked perfectly on my first pre, and on the last two, nothing.
  16.    #17  
    Well...I'm almost embarrassed to even mention it...but this is my 5th handset!! Worked fine since the end of August (originally bought phone on July 1st....so it took almost two months to get a working model!)

So, I'm not surprised the cable is bad... I'm going to go in tomorrow and ask for a free (extra) one. I wouldn't mind buying one, but it seems that Sprint won't sell anything "a la carte." I tried to get some headphones because I really liked the ones that came with the Pre...and I somehow broke mine (still not sure how that happened...faulty equipment? Lol)...but they refused. I even tried to get the pouch from them...figuring that with all the freakin' returns they had...especially at THAT store...it woudn't be a problem. All the refurbs come WITHOUT a pouch...so what happens to all the full box returns?? There just HAS to be extras laying around somewhere, right?

As far as buying a cable? Well...good luck trying to find one (even here in Chicago) at any store.... Nobody seems to know *** I'm talking about, even though I thought the micro-USB was to be the new "standard" for smartphones in the future...
    So I found some for $4 online...great deal, huh?
    Yeah, right!! They actually have the gall to charge $9 for shipping!!! Domestic!! To Chicago?? I mean..it's not as if I live in the Catskills and someone has to hoof it on up to me.... I live in an area with 9 million other people....pretty sure it's one of the easiest places to deliver to...
    Anyway...I'm done with my rant! It's not Palm I'm upset with...it's all the incompetents that work with or in proximity to Palm that are screwing it up! That's why Apple is STILL (God knows why) considered the go-to smartphone of the century...with Android by Google coming in a very close second.
    Not to mention all the Crackheads on the Crackberrys trying to look important while paying extra for email push support! Lol...like my cousin!! Sorry bro...I guess it's a New York thing, huh?

Ok...last word? I totally LOVE my Pre! Wouldn't trade it for anything!! I just hope that some of the support companies get their heads out of their ***** and start creating more helpful software for the unit....instead of c***kblocking Palm so that Google and Apple corner the market...which I guess is predatory capitalism at work as usual!
    Later all...sorry about the rant. Just enjoy *****in'... What else would I do if I couldn't complain? At least I realize that complaining is a luxury only available to those who actually have it pretty darn good....otherwise, they wouldn't have time to *****...they'd be too busy just tryin' to survive, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    EDIT: did initially post that QuickInstaller gets frozen after this but I realised later that it just takes ages (very long for me!) and during which it will seem frozen (and recognised by Windows as 'This Program is not Responding'. Just be patient...

Also, after Novacom reinstalled, you need to restart QuickInstaller and also re-plug in Palm Pre again as initial attempts to do so without both being done still led to same 'not recognised' state.

Thanks for this great thread!
    Last edited by Chirurgie; 03/18/2010 at 09:51 PM.
    I was also trying to connect with Webos Quick install on a new Palm Pre 2 days old.

Every time I try to load Preware to my new Palm Pre it says can’t find device.

I download the updated WebOSDoctor and WebOS Quick Install v3.14, I put my palm in developer mode , then plugged in the Palm via USB and on both my XP & 7 operating computers the “can’t find device” pops up.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem or down load another program to add some Homebrews to my Palm.
    Thanks
    Paul
    On your XP machine:

1. Control panel
    2. Add/Remove programs
    3. uninstall Novacomd

Now:

1. Open WebOS Quick Install,
    2. File > Options > Reinstall Novacomd

This usually helps.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast