1. mtk
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    what's the difference between a QuickInstall 'tweak' and a PreWare 'patch"? same mechanism (patch file), different sources/appliers? is there overlap?
    /mark
    I believe I answered this same question a while ago, but can't find the post.

To make it brief, long before patches caught on for the average public user or were in Preware, I put very basic patches in WebOS Quick Install v2.0. There were only like 6 and to give it a user-friendly name I called the section "Tweaks".

The name caught on and even though I referred to them as "mods" people liked calling them "tweaks" and the name stuck.

Since then, things have changed quite a bit. Currently, most the tweaks are patches. However, some tweaks do things patches currently can't. A good example is the Boot Logo and iPhone User Agent Spoof. Those do more than a simple .patch file can do.

In regards to patches, both are compatible in WebOS Quick Install and Preware. Set 4x4v1 patch on WOSQI and you'll see it in Preware. Both use the same patching standard
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  3. mtk
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    that's clear and logical. thanks!
    Since I've updated my phone to webos 1.4 preware will not work on my phone. I erased the install on my pc and downloaded everything like new and it still isn't working. When I try to use the 'tweaks' it asks if I want to install GNU and I hit yes but it keeps asking me the same question and I can't get past that point. PLEASE HELP!!!!
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by olemasta33 View Post
    Since I've updated my phone to webos 1.4 preware will not work on my phone. I erased the install on my pc and downloaded everything like new and it still isn't working. When I try to use the 'tweaks' it asks if I want to install GNU and I hit yes but it keeps asking me the same question and I can't get past that point. PLEASE HELP!!!!
    I feel ya, had the same issue most of the weekend, then Sunday afternoon I tried this: webOSquickinstall, then, ipkg repository viewer(third button, blue down arrow) when it comes up by apps it may say loading list, wait for it to load, then click precentral application gallery feeds, then click webOS-internal feeds(all), scroll to and check package manager service and preware, click download, then on main webOSquickinstall screen click download. You should now have latest version of preware and there, get your gnu patch. Hope this helps.