webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developer Forums >  Canuck Coding > WebOS Quick Install v3.14
WebOS Quick Install v3.14
  Closed Thread
Like Tree2Likes

Old 02/01/2010, 05:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Legend

Do Note: This is an archived thread. The current WebOS Quick Install 4.0 thread can be found here.

WebOS Quick Install v3.14

This program is intended for use with WebOS applications that are in-testing, which under section 4.2 of the Palm SDK License Agreement allows for such unapproved applications to be installed on Palm devices. Applications installed with WebOS Quick Install have not be tested by Palm and are installed at your own risk.

This program is freeware, but not opensource. Feel free to share it with other forums.

I can be contacted at support@canuck-software.ca
If you contact me, or post in this thread to contact me, you must also include the following information:
- Device: are you using a Palm Pre or the emulator
- Operating System (include 32bit or 64bit)
- Have you followed my troubleshooting guide completely
I will be ignore emails/posts that don't follow that format.

Donations are appreciated as I'm just one person developing this app during my spare time.

Enjoy! :-)

Download Here

Installation Guide

Requirements
  • WebOSDoctor recovery rom
    • Do not run WebOSDoctor, or you may inadvertently erase your device to WebOS factory settings
    • If you want to manually download it on your own, see this page for direct download links and copy that downloaded .jar file to the same folder as WebOSQuickInstall.jar
  • Java 1.6
    • For Mac OS X, once you've installed Java 1.6, run /Application/Utilities/Java/Java Preferences. Then click and drag Jave SE 6 to top of both list, and exit the program. This will set Java 1.6 as the default version to use.
  • Novacom
    • You can manually install Novacom by going in WebOSQuickInstall and in the menu File->Options, then press the "Attempt Novacom (re)installation" button.
    • For Linux, try downloading the Novacom file here.
  • DevMode enabled
    • This can be done on your device by typing "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart", opening the DeveloperMode app, and enabling the feature.

Lastly, when you plug in the device, if you want to use WebOS Quick Install, choose the "Just Charge" option on the device.

Running WebOS Quick Install
  • Simply double-click WebOSQuickInstall.jar and (as long as Java is installed properly) it will launch

Features
  • Stylish easy-to-use GUI.
  • Cross-platform support (Windows, Mac OS X, Linux).
  • Tweaks panel for OS customization on a deeper level.
  • Full-featured themer
  • AUPT-compatible
  • Supports standard ipkg feeds.
  • No Linux knowledge required, no root access required.
  • Support for .ipk, .patch, and .diff files
  • Works with both USB-connected WebOS devices and the WebOS emulator.
  • Full device information section with management of user-installed applications.
  • Send and receive files to and from a WebOS device.
  • Quick-access link to the PreCentral homebrew gallery.
  • Handy usage panel that explains the earlier-mentioned requirements.

Screenshots

Known Issues
- None so far

Change Log
v3.14 - June 6, 2010
- Now checks if Palm-scripts and ipkg scripts are different
- Ipkg Feed Viewer no longer requires a device to be connected
- Supports gzipped feeds for much faster feed loading
- Fixed PreThemer feed url in themer section
- Robustified feed parsing
- New version of checking if files exist
- Updated webOSDoctor downloader urls

v3.12 - April 22, 2010
- Minor optimizations
- Now properly deletes the ipk from the device after install
- Fixed versioning issue

v3.11 - April 18, 2010
- Switched back to ipkg install format
- Added palm-style postinst/prerm script support

v3.1 - April 16, 2010
- Now uses the Palm ApplicationInstallerUtility for ipk installation/removal
- Added complete redone ipk-based Themer with Prethemer and PreCentral Theme Gallery support
- Fixed GNU patch/lsdiff download error
- Now uses patch-style ad blocker
- Now uses updated iPhone User Agent Spoof
- Fixed issue with post-removal flags not executing
- Added support for RestartDevice post-install and post-removal flags
- Feeds don't reload when changing between feeds in Ipkg Feed Viewer
- Improved detection/handling of dead feeds
- Various minor bugfixes

v3.02 - February 2, 2010
- minor optimizations
- updated the Update Helper for improved functionality

v3.01 - February 2, 2010
- more accurate webOSDoctor downloading
- fixes error where it would erroneously try to restore patches
- removed PimpMyPre ipkg feed
- no longer luna restarts if patch installation fails
- much better handling when a feed cannot be connected to

v3.0 - February 1, 2010
- packages no longer install/uninstall if postinst/prerm scripts fail
- "deinstall" status packages are now properly filtered out of Device Management
- added update checker
- fixed issue where patch setting were saved to a wrong directory
- fixed issue preventing installation of large ipk files
- themer temporarily disabled
- fixed issue preventing installation of patch files with non-alphanumeric characters in their name
- updated ad-blocker for better compatibility
- added patch updating on Online Repository tab
- added support for AUPT
- added webOSDoctor patch recovery
- fixed "This is a webOS application." nametags in Device Management
- added dynamic webOSDoctor downloader
- fixed issue preventing webosdoctor jar detection

Special thanks to everyone who's helped contribute to the cause: those who donate, those who help test, those who help teach me new things, and those who help out with new users. This app wouldn't be what it is without you guys

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook

Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 02/06/2011 at 08:36 PM.
Liked by mhous33 and chenkinms like this.
Thanked by 01kkay, 180to650, 737swove, 8phooka8, 9c1ny, aapold, ABQMD, acherry, Achill3s, AdamBv1, addiarmadar, aggreyj, ajmoncrief, akram116, akumagm, ale896, alex3683, AlexJay, amateurhack, ammyeta, and1nnikegrl23, andddlay, AndrewakaMJ, animemom, AnonNimmus, antaeuz, anthonystu, AOW, arjun101, armepocho, atschirhart, Audemars02, aughtism, AustinTim, avoidtheecho, BaltimoreBoy, bandc480, Barona4, Batman49, Bazirker, bcurt10, bdot0727, Beach447, bela41, BenX, bevcraw, bigcwood79, biggnaa20, BigWhittt, BillP3393, Billyb1974, BJBlechman, bjs188, Black Elvis, blackspidey08, Blaize, blind4x, Blipstein, bmgumby, bobgood5, bpatishka, bpdamas, Brian Stradale, Brownbear50, Bryce14, Butters3605, Buzzard Jr, byosphere, caffeineplz, cagefighter, cairndog, caj2008, camarada, Canakite, Captitano, caryh, cashen, cbalter, ceeskaz, Chadney, chaela1, ChargedDust, ChemEngr, chenkinms, chicagonettech, ChilinMichael, ChiperD3, Chirurgie, ChityFOOL, chiweed, chloetuesday, Chrismn, Christopher I White, cjhlioness, Clavain, cmgomes, cmills01, cmoneyct, cnote1287, collegekid13, Colonel Kernel, ConfuciusOne, Contradude, copasetic, Cosmosis, craftsman, creatorbri, creepycat, crholt, crucian4, ct722000, CuckooPre, cuotfs, curumehli, dacsailor, DaHui623, damdre2, dandar, DangerousDan, danno1769, Dazo, dchamero, DDT1345, deathyyy, deckardz, deeg, deepakchan, desoto95, dethmaShine, DeusEx, dgk-kokblok, Dhymes, diabolical, digitaljok, dinokent, dioscuri, Dirkcallaway, Dixie, dixon8303, dizznee, DJeremyC, djwhitey, dmsys, DocFly, doctorx, dogblade03, Dogg006, doogie23, dpaul420, drchiromike, Dualboy, duanliweicpy, dukemohs, duncken, EATPharmD, econdor, edhkim, Editor02, edtim48, EEP1, eesucks, Elleon, emaddox84, Emanuelm123, enforcer71, engine101, enice2, erapalo, Erckul, erdosh, Evil Monkey, evolutionary, Examiner19, eztech, f13ftw, facetoface, faderrific, faigee, fallen3712, fastamx79, Fennery, FierceInvaids, FischOderAal, FiushaMirage, frankdavis, fransauce, fredewins, freezex, Fried Chicken, fsandbeans, FuManChuu, Furuboru, fwv3232, G Hunt, gabepalm, Gambbitt, garavin, gc916, Geoffrey, Gerardo Mortera, gerat, GFS, Ghost 13, GigaS27, gitit20, gladesmellzgood, glamisfanatic, GoBears, GoGayleGo, gogreen, gonzo316, GoodGuyTX, Goyena, grandebob, Greg Mair, greg073177, GrillSgt, gsonspre, gvndeb60, halfdriven, happyalice, HappyPalm, hapymyday, havatampa, HelloNNNewman, heltoupee, hemwick, Henk1978, hertzi, hitechalex, Hoffman109, hookdc, hpdearman, hscarp, hunterprime, huub, ianmr65, ice5precentral.net, igobytony, ILLBEBAKC, Imsobk, In-Game, Indy Rhino, ineeld, inodaspot, intlbeans, intron, Irish, irishtexmex, itgcyber, ItsaMamaLuigi, itsjustme, ixam06, i_maq, JackatMac, jakedb, jandar, jason5391, jasonmazzarese, jc1200, jcarlino, jccpalm, jcgreenfield, jeanjean, JefBek, Jeking, JEMellon66, JerryG, Jethrotull, jetsen, jfrex, jhcnospam, jhp, jimhuff, Jimmy_D, jjeffcoat, jjsorkin, jjtunstill, jman139, jmpetersen, joedisaster, joetemp75, john-vogel, JohnLBurger, Jon Lickenheimer, jon96321, jondough, jordo487, jose valdez, josecaguas, joyouslyme, jpdaballa, jrdejavux, jshare, JSladen, juarez-25, JuJulian1987, justjill3, jxbravo, kabbisa, kaicho, Kaleb, Karimsinbox, karjemur, Karou, kat7rm, KayDubbya, KayShenzi, kc93, KCBCarmichael, KCTraveler, kdh.berlin, keenah, kemikkal9, ketek90, kevhead, kg7max1, Kick T, KingRican, kisshot78, kjamc1982, kkacatin, klubhead, knauerhase, Knsnik, kohn, Kokosolo, koolkid09, koshki009, krazysk2, kreiger, kridder0, KSE_rules, Kskaife, ktessner, ladieslovekazuo, lakaw, lampkin, laurice, laze, leadtrumpetdave, leftyman, leonbelize, lesterivan, linwiz311, liquidice66, lluisinho, lmayes69, Longster, loopytee, lore927, louwiid, lucumu, lupo_ezechiele, luvmyq9c, m21671, macd2002, magerb, mamouton, ManicMarvin, manordwall, marathonminded, marcross, markfire, markpaterson, marzjaz, matfant, maxima2k53, mbsprinter, mcbr, mcla98, mcpreos2009, mdwy62, me and my pre, mellisnj, Menace187, menehune, MerlinMM, metalfan49, mhous33, Mike20PR, mikedill24, mikedudley17, Misaki Ki, misterikkit, mk3, mks4fun, MLJones8, mluther, mmcnamara43, mnm1, mo007, monkeydog, morrison0880, Mr._Happy, MrsHarris, msdavies, mt8, mtg711, mudotron, My3boys1217, Myprelove, n64kps, NachoB, namyboyz44, Neata, neerajayshree, neo999, neosubway, NeoteriX, netwrkr9, Neumanndk, Neva Eva Forget 1984, nholling, nick222, nicooo, NINnerd, nitnatsnoK, noco37, nollij, NonProphet, novakry, Novaldex, nrshanker, nstereo2002, ntjoe, NuttyBunny, nvmedjpain, nxg125, odjs114, okgnew, oldgeekster, onaldo88, onecoolguy, OnePalmAddict, onickjo, oniduster, Ontopofthegame, orion0204, osaru, Osiris_C3, OskarTheSmurf, OverlordsComing, ovimag, P6, pag78, pakinto, palmdoc2005, palmuse, papla, Partyman, pastorrich1, Patriq Backlund, pbgiv, pdj, peeg, penguinsix, petegk, pfd, Phantasmn, Philldotcom, Phone-Man, phonephetish, Pioneer, pip smith, Pitxitxita, pixielee, pixiuser1, plamtreo, planet3rry, PocketAcesDMB, pogeypre, Pokerbrothersstudio, polla37, porkythepig, postalUT, Powervette, ppre3575, prebus2, prezoom, PRE_Shields_PRE, primetime34, princesslangford, psm9, Pulp, pvmhien, qasman, QuarlesLT, qwiklight, Radvette, RafRol, Rafy0003, rand0m1, rattical, rawthenticswag, rbeyl, rdixon14, rdmhalftime, RealDeal71, Reddman8464, reddy1980, regulluz, remland, remote44, Rennat, resignation, reso9, retroblu, REVNU, richardfrank, richbarr, rick.hill, rick1475, RickNeff, rklein8, rlanza1054, rmarquez11, rnel81, robbskittles, rodhnc, rogerlsturgiss, rothoof, rotorrocket, RoyS, Rozy1, rrob13, rswimports, RTMoney, rub2008, rudramakesmovie, Ruhi, runukraine, rush, rwinger, RyanBigDog, sailingbluenewf, Samizdat2003, SammySam, Sartre, sasharudi, scarletgeez, schnika, Scorpion747, sdickert, seansutt, Selcouth14, semahjiscool, sensai28, sepherous, sf_basilix, Shadavis08, Shadowcat, shiznitobam, shmuliks pixi, shokker66, silviag, simonh, sirbowen1982, sjmuller, skidmark, sKor_Pre, Smartfah, smccue, socoot1, soulfreak, soundsurj93, spank8t1, spliffstarz, spudland, Spydrbutt, SqyArc, sskoga, Ssseth, stashu11, steelshadow, StickyGreenWeed, stillgale, stoddwilson, streetskooler, strudel, stu5797, summer smile, sunshine_girl, supernsa, SuprHero, suruat, T0F3R, taenzer_mirko, tarjames, TBH, tbravo, tdlonghorn, tedrampart, tennenho, terryg, TexMexSol, Tha Cap'n, the.teejster, the2ndflood, Theatre Booth Guy, TheTolsonator, TheVTech, thomn8r, thor1995, thornev, though, threefiftyli, Tibfib, tihkal, tklr, TNSamurai, tobeaman, toby.kitt, ToddK, toikhongtinai, tomi666, tomscot2, ToniCipriani, tonio25, tooearly, topnotchpnut, Touch94, toyotast165, tp2386, treal, Treiz, Trekker, Trident, Trojaneyez, troybotts73, tsnum4, twtcad, uminchu, username33, ussoccer31, vallis, vandelay, vbockius, vergnen, Veritas06, verwon, veryape, vfr5000, victort, Vij, voiceofreason, volcom45, voodoochild, vuxy, V_Stoffer, Walter E Kurtz, warlord9159, WarlordsSon, wekya, west3man, WickedroU, wiggy48, wildgoosey32, willorock, willyiam, windzilla, wizard83, wkpatel79, WoodWulf, WrayMus, wroy12, xandrake, xanthinealkaloid, Xenoc, Xxcodesterox, Young HoV 718, zeneth, Zenshinji, zepmaster, zna03, ZR1, Zuko
Old 02/01/2010, 05:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Legend

Installation and Usage Guide
Special thanks to MortiseMaker for making this straightforward guide on setting up and using WebOS Quick Install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortiseMaker
The document consists of a large number of screenshots - both of the PC and of the Pre. It kind of assumes the audience is new to all this stuff and does not get into computers to the level of some of us on here have achieved.
The 45-page guide is here: Installing and Getting Started with WebOS Quick Install.

The simple quick start guide is here: Getting Started: Homebrew Apps, Patches, and Themes.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

Old 02/01/2010, 05:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Legend

Troubleshooting Guide

My browser downloaded the file as WebOSQuickInstall.download or WebOSQuickInstall.zip
This seems to be an issue for some people on some browsers. Try renaming manually to ".jar" extension.

I've unzipped the file, what do I do next?
Nothing! Don not, I repeat, DO NOT, unzip/unrar the .jar file. The nature of a JAR file is that it is both an archive and an executable program. We only wanna use the executable program aspect.

How do I run the program?
Window:
  • Double-clicking on the .jar should work. If it doesn't, reinstall Java 1.6.
Mac OS X:
  • According to this document, OS X 10.5 Update 1 is when Macs got Java SE 6 (aka Java 1.6). This is required for WebOS Quick Install to run correctly.
  • For some MacOS versions that don't support the above release of Java 1.6, you want to try SoyLatte.
  • Also, run /Application/Utilities/Java/Java Preferences. Then click and drag Jave SE 6 to top of both list, and exit the program. This will set Java 1.6 as the default version to use and should have no ill side effects.
Ubuntu:
  • To install the current version of Java, enter the following in terminal:
    sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre
  • To run the .jar, right click, choose "Open with" and select "Sun Java X.X runtime"
For more info, see How to Run a .Jar Java File: 11 steps - wikiHow

I already WebOSDoctor downloaded. Do I have to download it again?
Nope, you can just move your existing copy to the same folder as WebOS Quick Install and the program will run.

I'm seeing this screen. What do I do next?
Nothing, close that window! That's WebOSDoctor. You don't want to run that unless you want to reset your Pre to factory WebOS settings (and wiping all your data).

In WebOS Quick Install, clicking menu Tools->Device Management does absolutely nothing
This means WebOS Quick Install is unable to access the WebOSDoctor.jar file. Possibly corrupted jar file. You'll want to delete the WebOSDoctor.jar file then redownload from this link in post #1. Put that downloaded file in the same folder as WebOS Quick Install.

I'm getting "ERROR: No device found."
Common error. Two main reasons this could occur:
  1. Mis-matched your choice of device. In WebOS Quick Install, click menu File->Options. If your target is the WebOS emulator on your computer, choose "Emulator"; if your target is a real device, like a Palm Pre, choose "USB Device".
  2. Your device and/or computer are not configured correctly. WebOS Quick Install depends on both your device being ready for the connection as well as your computer being ready for the connection.
    • Novacom needs to be installed on your computer. In WebOS Quick Install, click menu File->Options. Click the "Attempt Novacom (re)installation" button.
      • Alternatively, Windows users can manually install Novacom via this method.
      • Linux users can download Novacom here. Read this guide if your Linux distribution doesn't use Debian files.
      • A computer restart is highly recommended.
      • Windows users can verify Novacom is running by going StartMenu->Run...->"services.msc" and looking for a "Palm Novacom" entry and making sure it's started.
    • Bad USB Connection
      • It's recommended to plug in your device into a main USB port that outputs power
      • Some people have reported devices, like Canon printers, interfering with a Novacom-based connection
      • It's highly recommended to use an OEM USB cable, as some eBay ones have been reported to prevent a Novacom-based connection
    • WebOS device needs to have DevMode.
      • This can be done by typing "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart", opening the DeveloperMode app, and enabling the feature. Don't worry, the reset won't wipe any data.
      • Some circumstances can cause the the toggle to show as enabled even when its disabled. To solve this problem, disable it then re-enable it.
      • Some people report OTA updates reset DevMode. Keep that in mind when updating.
    • Novacom Connection Issue
      • Rare, but not unheard of. Restarting the service (or your computer) will fix this
      • On Windows, go StartMenu->Run...->"services.msc" and look for a "Palm Novacom" entry. Right click it and choose "Restart"
    • Wrong Java Installation
      • Some people have reported that installing 32bit Java on 64bit computer, and vice versa, can cause issues when running WebOS Quick Install
    • When you plugin your device, choose "Just Charge"

Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 02/01/2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02/01/2010, 05:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Legend

AUPT-Compatibility

WebOS Quick Install is fully compatible with webOS-Internals Auto-Update Patch Technology (AUPT). Essentially this means you no longer need to uninstall patches prior to OTA updates.

When you enter the Tweaks section, after a webOS update, WebOS Quick Install will detect the version change and will open the update helper.

For on-feed patches, the update helper will update out-of-date patches to the new version's equivalent (or a dummy package if the updated patch has not yet been released).

For .patch files installed with WebOS Quick Install, the update helper will uninstall them. It will also check to see if the patch can be successfully re-applied. If it can be re-applied, the patch will be reinstalled.

Tweaks Guide

The guide attached to this post is slightly out of date, but the majority of the tweaks are still listed and explained so it's still very useful for new users

Also, keep in mind, patches are shown in the Device Management section, just change the drop-down box from "Applications" to "Patches" and you'll be able to get info and be able to uninstall patches in bulk.

All tweaks are compatible and interoperable between WebOS Quick Install and Preware.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tweaks Guide.pdf (130.0 KB, 1318 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 02/01/2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02/01/2010, 05:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

YAY - it's coming!
Old 02/01/2010, 05:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks Jason!
Old 02/01/2010, 05:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

THANXS JASON FOR All the hard work
Thanked By: desoto95
Old 02/01/2010, 05:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Larger ipk support?

Old 02/01/2010, 05:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

A "thanx" in advance....
"The union forces me to allow you to go to lunch in spite of the way you've played. Those of you with consciences will not be able to eat. And those of you whose consciences match your talents... go stuff yourselves. I hope you choke".....Maestro, The Money Pit
Old 02/01/2010, 05:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Can't wait. Looks like you'll beat WebOS 1.4.
Old 02/01/2010, 06:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

I'm guessing this means it's about to be released but hasn't yet? Correct?

Also, thanks for all the hard work! It's brilliant, and upgrades the the Pre's ability tenfold.

EDIT: It's been released. Thanks again!

Last edited by irishtexmex; 02/01/2010 at 06:41 PM.
Thanked by desoto95, ringorat
Old 02/01/2010, 06:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

you are correct sir....
"The union forces me to allow you to go to lunch in spite of the way you've played. Those of you with consciences will not be able to eat. And those of you whose consciences match your talents... go stuff yourselves. I hope you choke".....Maestro, The Money Pit
Old 02/01/2010, 06:33 PM   #13 (permalink)

awsome...one question:

if i was to patch a Pre from the WOSQI on the cpu....and later i get into preware..will preware recognize what patches i have added to the pre from WOSQI and vise versa?
Old 02/01/2010, 06:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbockius View Post
you are correct sir....
It's now available

Note: you may need to clear browser cache before downloading.
After downloading, be sure to go Help->About to make sure you have v3.0

Thanked by eztech, P6
Old 02/01/2010, 06:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

you da man....i just downloaded....
Old 02/01/2010, 06:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstereo2002 View Post
awsome...one question:

if i was to patch a Pre from the WOSQI on the cpu....and later i get into preware..will preware recognize what patches i have added to the pre from WOSQI and vise versa?
It's been asked and answered dozens of times, so I wanna make this perfectly clear for everyone: YES!

If you install a .patch via WOSQI v3.0, it'll appear as a patch in Preware, able to be uninstalled.

Conversely, if you install a patch in Preware, it'll appear in WebOS Quick install, able to be uninstalled.

Old 02/01/2010, 06:45 PM   #17 (permalink)

Awesome! Jason - will this work with a Verizon Pixi Plus?
Old 02/01/2010, 06:48 PM   #18 (permalink)

awesome...thanks jason!!!

2010-2011 Champions!

Old 02/01/2010, 06:56 PM   #19 (permalink)
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robkhb View Post
Awesome! Jason - will this work with a Verizon Pixi Plus?
yepper

And best yet, as mentioned in the changelog, the webOSDoctor downloader is now dynamic. This means no matter when you download v3.0, it'll always want to download the current webOSDoctor for the current devices.

I'll be working this same dynamic doctor downloader into v2.0 of Repair Utility

Old 02/01/2010, 06:57 PM   #20 (permalink)

right before my birthday ty bud!
Closed Thread

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0