Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yes, agreed, java 6.0 only works on intel machines
    Quote Originally Posted by napovak View Post
    These are instructions that I pieced together from several websites with regards to getting webOS Quick Install working on my Mac OS X 10.4.11. From here you can begin to download homebrew apps such as Preware for your Palm Pre (Plus) phone. I am not a programmer, I know very little about macs, and therefore, I cannot vouch for the safety or appropriateness of these methods. Please use at your own risk.

# 1. Put phone into developer mode
    Simply press “upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart.” Then, press the icon for “Developer Mode,” and switch the icon to “on.” Let the phone restart itself.

# 2. Getting Java 6.0 (the saga)
    This was probably the trickiest part, and also the part that could most damage your computer. It worked great for me and others that wrote in, but please proceed with caution and at your own risk.
    Download Java v6.0 from: meiert <dot> com/en/blog/20051029/java-and-lynx-for-mac/. The file link should be called “Java 1.6 Developer Preview (DMG, 52,216 KB). Again, this was accurate as of 06/03/10 and this particular download may only be good for OS X 10.4.11 and below. There is a disclaimer for v10.5 and above; not sure about this.
    Then, copy the methods provided on this site: www <dot> kunaldua <dot> com/blog/2006/06/how-to-force-reinstall-java-on-mac-os-x/. Which basically tell you to: (1) Run the new Java 6.0 program to see if it will install itself (likely not). (2) “In Finder, go to folder /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Resources and move the files “version.plist” and “Info-macos.plist” to a safe place like the Desktop”. Likely this will require a copy/paste and then a delete of the two files in thier native folder. (3) Run the installer again, and hopefully it will work this time, otherwise…??? (4) Go into Applications > Utilities > Java > Java SE 6 > Java Preferences. Under the ‘General’ tab change the “Use version: “ to Java SE 6 and move the Java SE 6 logo under “Java Application Runtime Settings” to the top. (5) Check to see if it worked by going into Terminal (Applications > Utilities > Terminal) and typing in: java –version. It should say something about Version 1.6.0. If it doesn’t work, be sure to move those 2 files back to their native folders, and perhaps try the soylatte route. It worked for me and I still kept those 2 files just in case.

This method worked really well for me. It avoided having to go through soylatte and using terminal to change my Java settings. (BTW, there are several posts/videos on the soylatte method of getting Java 6.0 on your computer. This way worked for me (i.e., Java v6.0 was successfully installed onto my computer), but webOS Quick Install still did not work properly. But this way may work for you).

# 3. Download webOS Quick Install
    Download the file at forums <dot> precentral <dot> net/canuck-software/228310-webos-quick-install-v3-12-a <dot> html. You should probably download it to a new folder called “Palm” or something.

# 4. Download (separately) webOS Doctor
    Go to: www <dot > webos-internals <dot> org/wiki/Webos_Doctor_Versions and download the appropriate version. Download this to the same folder as webOS Quick Install.

# 5. Get Novacom (the backdoor method)
    Hopefully at this point you can get “Quick Install” to open on your computer. But, you probably can’t get it to recognize your Palm Pre (Plus). You can try clicking under File > Options > Attempt Novacom (re)installation…, but it probably won’t work.
    So, (1) Copy the webOS Doctor .jar file and paste a new copy into the same folder. (2) Change the .jar extension to .zip. (3) Unzip the new .zip file. (4) Go into the new folder; probably labeled something like “webOSDoctor copy.” (5) Go into the resources folder and double-click on Novacominstaller.pkg.tar.gz. (6) Once that is done unzipping double-click on Novacominstaller.pkg and install the Novacom program. (I forget where I found this method, but thanks to whomever posted this method of getting Novacom installed!)

# 6. Plug in your phone and let the magic unfold
    At this point you should be good to go; as in, webOS Quick Install should recognize your phone. You can probably watch one of a million YouTube videos on how to get Preware or other nifty homebrew apps on your phone. But basically, you connect your phone to your computer via USB cable. Click on “Just charging” on you Palm Pre. Click on the down arrow third from the top on the right side of the quickInstall screen. And away you go…
    When I try to unzip it it says "Unable to unarchive "webOSdoctor copy.zip" into "New Folder".
    (Error 1- Operation not permitted.)

HELP!
    okay , so maybe i'm just retarted. but i have the pixi. and no matter what it is i try to put on this phone. NOTHING works. Ive used almost every website i could possible think of. nothing will download. so when i found this one i thought it might work . . and so far i have been sitting here for 8 hours trying to do this! this is ridiculous!
    Quote Originally Posted by tristinafagan View Post
    okay , so maybe i'm just retarted. but i have the pixi. and no matter what it is i try to put on this phone. NOTHING works. Ive used almost every website i could possible think of. nothing will download. so when i found this one i thought it might work . . and so far i have been sitting here for 8 hours trying to do this! this is ridiculous!
    You need to give a better detailed report of what you have tried if you want help.
    You should also try the Preware standalone installer at http://install.preware.org
    how do i copy and paste a file ie: filecoaster to my quick installer? I copy the file but when I try and paste it onto the webso quick installer it wont let me.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12