Page 1 of 14 123456 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 264
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    I offer the attached documents (split up to accommodate the maximum size of forum message attachments) to assist (primarily) Windows users in getting WebOS Quick Install on their computers. There is a "Getting Started" document with instructions on how to use the program complete with a few examples. The "Appendix A" document contains instructions on how to download WebOS Doctor manually, a step that is normally completed during the installation and set up of WebOS Quick Install.

    The documents consist of a large number of screen shots - both from the PC and the Pre. They assume the audience is new to all this stuff and does not get into computers to the level some of us on here have achieved.

    Please try them and let me know where I have failed if you find the steps confusing or, make suggestions for improvements or additions. I will revise the documents from time to time in keeping with Jason's revision of the program.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    zukmos likes this.
  2. bobwill's Avatar
    Posts
    145 Posts
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    #2  
    As a newbie, I liked your writeup and examples. My question has to do with when you go to another WebOS operating system and I read where you have to uninstall patches and themes before doing an upgrade, is there a way to reinstall the patches and the theme without having to keep a record of what changes you have made and then go back and reinstall everything all over again?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwill View Post
    As a newbie, I liked your writeup and examples. My question has to do with when you go to another WebOS operating system and I read where you have to uninstall patches and themes before doing an upgrade, is there a way to reinstall the patches and the theme without having to keep a record of what changes you have made and then go back and reinstall everything all over again?
    I am not aware of a method that would do that automatically.

    You can get a list of your patches by looking on your PC for a file called patchList. It is located in C:\Users\<your username goes here>\AppData\Local\Temp folder. Or, you can use a feature in WebOS Quick Install. Just start the application up with your Pre connected to your computer and run Tools->Device Management. Select Patches to see a list of the patches installed on your Pre...

  4. #4  
    Great job. It is an amazing 45 page manual documenting every detail.

    I reference this in the Getting Started: Homebrew Apps, Patches, and Themes.

    - Craig
  5. #5  
    I am using Windows Vista and I follwed your Installation write-up step by step. Except for my computer would not let me run anything in the command prompt window so I could not check for Novacom. Is there another way to see if it is running?
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by coneking View Post
    I am using Windows Vista and I follwed your Installation write-up step by step. Except for my computer would not let me run anything in the command prompt window so I could not check for Novacom. Is there another way to see if it is running?

    Sorry for the noob question but I figured it out on my own. Great write up. Everything was very helpful.
  7. #7  
    Thanks a lot, it works very well and the pdf are great.
  8. #8  
    What choice should I make at the menu that asks "Which version of WebOSDoctor would you like to download" : Sprint or Bell, in case I have O2 sim-lock free GSM PrPrPr&#$275$;?
    Erix (a.k.a. Rednex)
    IBM WorkPad 20x-> IBM WorkPad 30x -> Palm V -> Trēo 180g -> Trēo 270 -> Trēo 600 -> Trēo 650 -> Palm Prē
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rednexx View Post
    What choice should I make at the menu that asks "Which version of WebOSDoctor would you like to download" : Sprint or Bell, in case I have O2 sim-lock free GSM PrPrPr&#$275$;?
    Actually, I believe any of them will work for the purpose of use with WebOS Quick Install. The only thing extracted from the jar file for use with WebOS Quick Install is the Novacom installation files.

    It is to your advantage to have a "provider specific" version of WebOS Doctor should you need to return your phone to "as delivered from the factory condition" and set up for your particular cell phone services provider. So, if you have direct access to the version for your provider, you should acquire that one and download it. I believe Jason has not yet had the opportunity to modify the program to include a selection for O2. I found the following link in a message in the WOSQI forum. Perhaps you can download your particular version from there. Also, a word of caution. The names of the files often are other than WebOSDoctor.jar, so be sure to rename the downloaded file, as it may have a name that WOSQI can not yet handle. If WOSQI sees the WebOS Doctor jar file in the folder, it will skip over the part that suggests you need to download it.

    Palm - webOS Doctor - Select your device
  10. #10  
    I have followed your awesome instructions but when I go to tweaks and click it, it tells me to connnect device then click ok, I do so then it says ERROR no device detected. Help!
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmitchell View Post
    I have followed your awesome instructions but when I go to tweaks and click it, it tells me to connnect device then click ok, I do so then it says ERROR no device detected. Help!
    Have you followed the steps in Jason's troubleshooting message (message 3 in the WOSQI forum...

    http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...ml#post1946234

    After that if you still have trouble, let me know your operating system, if Windows (service pack number) and I will try to assist you.
  12. #12  
    Hi,can you please help? I'm trying to get pics off old pre where screen won't work.Been trying to go by instructions,have phone in dev mode & downloaded sprint version of webos but may have first downloaded webosdoctor before reading notes below install because its in my computer.I also have a webos jar file on my desktop that when I click it wants me to download webosdoctor first but I think I already did plus after reading notes it says not to or you will restore to factory settings & lose data so I'm very confused.When I plug phone in it has 3-way symbol so its in dev mode and it opens a box that says Safely Remove Hardware with palm novacom(bootie) in box.Before I downloaded anything it had 3 palm pre items in there.Its so confusing for me I dont know what to do next,I have a bunch of files in my computer under webosdoctor,if i erased all my data would the pic on my phone desktop be erased too because its still there when I take it out of dev mode.Thanks,tinabev
  13. #13  
    Please Help. I have followed instructions but when I go to tweaks and click it, it tells me to connnect device then click ok, I do so then it says ERROR no device detected. Help! I have followed Jasons trouble shooting instructions. Have reinstalled java. I am running vista home premium version 6, service pack 2.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by tinabev View Post
    Hi,can you please help? I'm trying to get pics off old pre where screen won't work.Been trying to go by instructions,have phone in dev mode & downloaded sprint version of webos but may have first downloaded webosdoctor before reading notes below install because its in my computer.I also have a webos jar file on my desktop that when I click it wants me to download webosdoctor first but I think I already did plus after reading notes it says not to or you will restore to factory settings & lose data so I'm very confused.When I plug phone in it has 3-way symbol so its in dev mode and it opens a box that says Safely Remove Hardware with palm novacom(bootie) in box.Before I downloaded anything it had 3 palm pre items in there.Its so confusing for me I dont know what to do next,I have a bunch of files in my computer under webosdoctor,if i erased all my data would the pic on my phone desktop be erased too because its still there when I take it out of dev mode.Thanks,tinabev
    I am not certain I completely understand your current situation. Can you use your computer to copy the photos from the Pre when connected as a USB drive? You do NOT want to run the WebOS Doctor prior to saving your pics. They WILL be erased when you run it.

    There was an article on PreCentral that explains how to get the phone in USB drive mode when the screen is not working... http://www.precentral.net/quick-tip-...de-dead-screen

    Please let me know if you need further assistance.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by chulen View Post
    Please Help. I have followed instructions but when I go to tweaks and click it, it tells me to connnect device then click ok, I do so then it says ERROR no device detected. Help! I have followed Jasons trouble shooting instructions. Have reinstalled java. I am running vista home premium version 6, service pack 2.
    Well, that is sometimes due to the USB cable and or port. If you don't have a spare USB cable, try connecting it to different USB ports on your PC. Also, try rebooting both the Pre and your PC.

    Did you prove to yourself that Novacom is working on your PC by brining up a command console window and then entering the command:

    sc query novacomd

    Be sure the result of that command is "STATE RUNNING". If that was OK, be sure the Pre is in "Developer Mode".

    Let me know how you do and if you need further assistance.
  16. #16  
    i have rebooted
    novacom is running
    in dev mode
    tried a different usb cable
    ran fine in the past, this is a new problem, not sure if it has to do with current webos
  17. #17  
    Its probably a bad usb port on phone, i have had trouble with oem car chargers. I also tries to connect to the quick install if constant pressure is applied to the phone usb. Will be taking it back to sprint store.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by chulen View Post
    Its probably a bad usb port on phone, i have had trouble with oem car chargers. I also tries to connect to the quick install if constant pressure is applied to the phone usb. Will be taking it back to sprint store.
    OK. Thanks for your report. Hopefully, Sprint will be able to resolve this for you.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by MortiseMaker View Post
    I am not certain I completely understand your current situation. Can you use your computer to copy the photos from the Pre when connected as a USB drive? You do NOT want to run the WebOS Doctor prior to saving your pics. They WILL be erased when you run it.

    There was an article on PreCentral that explains how to get the phone in USB drive mode when the screen is not working... http://www.precentral.net/quick-tip-...de-dead-screen

    Please let me know if you need further assistance.
    I can get it in DEV mode which is the 3-way symbol by holding volume button in and taking out battery & putting back in,and it shows up real big on phone,or by holding in red,sym & u button & 3-way symbol shows up real little on bottom right.Only thing I get on computer is box that says Safely Remove Hardware
  20. #20  
    It was the phone's usb connector. Phone is being replaced under warranty.
Page 1 of 14 123456 11 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions