Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by haunteddoc View Post
    Tried installing and using WebOSQuickInstall several times and can never get it to see my phone. I am using Windows Vista home edition. I have checked that NovCom is running by going to cmd mode and using sc query novacomd. It's says the state is running. Any help? I have put the pre in developer mode.
    Does the phone appear as a USB drive on your PC? If you have not tried that, please do so, as you need to prove the ports both on the Pre and your PC are working as well as the cable used to connect the two are all OK.
    Quote Originally Posted by MortiseMaker View Post
    My understanding is that if WebOS Doctor will not work on your phone, your only remaining option is a replacement.
    So part II:
    I brought my Pre to a repair center and had them wipe it, (they wouldn't replace it) since WebOSDoctor stopped working for me. They reset it to the default (1.3.1, for some reason.) I updated it, set it up in Dev mode and followed the instructions for regular homebrew apps and tweaks- And WebOSQuickInstall continues to freeze whenever I select Pre related options from the menu. I even triple checked to make sure I have the latest QuickInstall. Using the QuickInstall to reinstall Novacom doesn't help, neither does the manual (re)install tutorial that I followed... Any suggestions? This Pre just won't quit...
  3.    #123  
    Quote Originally Posted by Betsysimma View Post
    I have a jar file that I want to install on my Pre. Any idea how this can be done? Thanks!
    Sorry for the delay. I was just considering your question and doing some research. I have NO idea why you would want to put a jar file on your Pre. Perhaps you could enlighten me. You could transfer the file to your Pre using the plain "USB drive" functionality that is there by default. However, I cannot imagine what you would do with a .jar file once you had it on the Pre, since there is no way to access it once it is there. Of course, one can install "terminal" or access the Pre when connected to the PC in a "terminal" kind of environment. I suspect that if you were that advanced a user, you would not have asked this question.

So, perhaps my actual difficulty is that I do not understand what you really want to do. Can you tell me any more?
    samething happened to me EXACTLY. did u find a fix?
    x0x0, iPrinces
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I am using a software that only comes as a jar file. Apparently, I need to make the jar file into a prc in order for it to work on the Pre. It appears from everything I have read, that I cannot do this because it is a Pre and on a Web OS. From reading, I can possibly try to do it on a Palm Centro. This is what the software provider told me to do:

Palm OS does not natively support Jar files, but there is a work around.
    The first and easiest thing to try, is to convert the jar file you downloaded into
    a .prc file that can run on your Palm OS phone.
    · Please read the following tutorial to learn how to convert the .jar files that you
    downloaded into .prc files:
    MIDP for Palm OS 1.0: Developing Java Applications for Palm OS Devices
    Once you have them converted to .prc, you can then use hotsync to install them onto your Palm. Palm OS Users…continued.
    If for whatever reason you cannot get the above method to work, you can try the following:
    To run .jar (java) files on a palm phone you would need to have the JVM download from Sun Microsystems. It was once a freely available download, but is no longer available or being offered for Palm OS (see http://www.palm.com/us/support/jvm/ ) by Sun.
    If you already have JVM for palm then you are good to go.

This link is no longer downloadable, and again, from everything I've read, I think because the Pre is a WebOS, it wouldn't work anyway. I was just wondering if you knew of any other way. I also have a Palm Centro so I may see if I can get it to work on the Palm Centro since it is a Palm OS but I think I'm going to have the same problem since the link the software provider sent me is no longer downloadable & I need some form of the JVM to put either on the Pre or Centro. Does this help at all??
    Thanks so much!!
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I am using a software that only comes as a jar file. Apparently, I need to make the jar file into a prc in order for it to work on the Pre. It appears from everything I have read, that I cannot do this because it is a Pre and on a Web OS. From reading, I can possibly try to do it on a Palm Centro. This is what the software provider told me to do:

Palm OS does not natively support Jar files, but there is a work around.
    The first and easiest thing to try, is to convert the jar file you downloaded into
    a .prc file that can run on your Palm OS phone.
    · Please read the following tutorial to learn how to convert the .jar files that you
    downloaded into .prc files:
    MIDP for Palm OS 1.0: Developing Java Applications for Palm OS Devices
    Once you have them converted to .prc, you can then use hotsync to install them onto your Palm. Palm OS Users…continued.
    If for whatever reason you cannot get the above method to work, you can try the following:
    To run .jar (java) files on a palm phone you would need to have the JVM download from Sun Microsystems. It was once a freely available download, but is no longer available or being offered for Palm OS (see http://www.palm.com/us/support/jvm/ ) by Sun.
    If you already have JVM for palm then you are good to go.

This link is no longer downloadable, and again, from everything I've read, I think because the Pre is a WebOS, it wouldn't work anyway. I was just wondering if you knew of any other way. I also have a Palm Centro so I may see if I can get it to work on the Palm Centro since it is a Palm OS but I think I'm going to have the same problem since the link the software provider sent me is no longer downloadable & I need some form of the JVM to put either on the Pre or Centro. Does this help at all??
    Thanks so much!!
  7.    #127  
    [QUOTE=Betsysimma;2175331]I am using a software that only comes as a jar file. Apparently, I need to make the jar file into a prc in order for it to work on the Pre. It appears from everything I have read, that I cannot do this because it is a Pre and on a Web OS. From reading, I can possibly try to do it on a Palm Centro. This is what the software provider told me to do:

Yes, PalmOS is a completely different operating system. I believe the Centro would be your only choice. If you cannot get it to work on your Centro, you might open a thread in the Homebrew forum, perhaps someone there could convert it for you or suggest an alternative.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Thanks so much for your help!
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    I'm having a problem loading anything onto my pre through wosqi. I used to have preware and patches instaled and none would update anymore so I ununstaled everything using wosqi then did a full erase then doctored and updated to os 1.3.5 and reinstaled wosqi. Now when I load wosqi and click the down arrow to get feeds, preware or anything it doesn't do anything at all. I can click the arrow a 100 times and nothing. I can check device management through wosqi though. Can't put patches on, get error everytime. I could really use some help. Don't know what else to try. Thanks
  10.    #130  
    Quote Originally Posted by kra2y View Post
    I'm having a problem loading anything onto my pre through wosqi. I used to have preware and patches instaled and none would update anymore so I ununstaled everything using wosqi then did a full erase then doctored and updated to os 1.3.5 and reinstaled wosqi. Now when I load wosqi and click the down arrow to get feeds, preware or anything it doesn't do anything at all. I can click the arrow a 100 times and nothing. I can check device management through wosqi though. Can't put patches on, get error everytime. I could really use some help. Don't know what else to try. Thanks
    Well, I don't have many ideas either. Are you able to reach the WebOS Internals site for their packages using your regular web browser...

Index of /feeds/webos-internals/all

If so, I guess you could download the .ipk file, drop it on WebOS Quick Install and install Preware that way.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    i can find them there. i see the preware but what about package manager. is it the ipkg service that i need as well?
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    i was also wonder if wosqi is windows 7 compatible? i think the first time i loaded preware i was on windows xp, then i upgraded to 7.
  13.    #133  
    i can find them there. i see the preware but what about package manager. is it the ipkg service that i need as well?
    Yes. I believe the current file is...

org.webosinternals.ipkgservice_0.9.34_all.ipk
  14.    #134  
    i was also wonder if wosqi is windows 7 compatible? i think the first time i loaded preware i was on windows xp, then i upgraded to 7.
    WebOS Quick Install is definitely Windows 7 compatible. I am running Windows 7 64-bit and using this software with no problems at all.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    i was finaly able to install preware onto my phone again. thanks alot. cant use the arrow button in wosqi but downloading them myself worked great. a weak of pulling my hair out is finnaly over. thanks again and keep up the good work.
    Ok, im still a little lost here. (go figure) I'm sure you probably get this issue a lot, but I'm going to try and explain, as best I can.
    Last weekend i attempted to finally 'tweak' my PrPrPré. $First$ $off$, $I$'$m$ $doing$ $this$ $on$ $my$ $Macbook$ $Pro$. $So$, $I$ $went$ $thru$ $all$ $the$ '$Set$-$Up$' $steps$ $and$ $everything$, $from$ http://www.precentral.net/how-add-ho...hes-and-themes
    What got me was step 3. the 'Connect Your Device/no device Detected' box, never came up. Also, that Novacom install/download never came up, either??? So of course, when I start selecting which ‘tweaks’ I want, an error comes up and all that jazz. That sucks.
    BUT…today, I brought my phone to work. Attached it to my cpu here (PC) to move some music around. I plug the USB in, and select ‘USB drive’ on the phone, and what comes up soon as I do that? Hardware wizard, talking about Novacom and asking me if I want to install it. (what???) But, when I plug my phone back into my Mac…nothing. somebody please help!
  17.    #137  
    Quote Originally Posted by Traicarlisle View Post
    Ok, im still a little lost here. (go figure) I'm sure you probably get this issue a lot, but I'm going to try and explain, as best I can.
    Last weekend i attempted to finally 'tweak' my PrPrPré. $First$ $off$, $I$'$m$ $doing$ $this$ $on$ $my$ $Macbook$ $Pro$. $So$, $I$ $went$ $thru$ $all$ $the$ '$Set$-$Up$' $steps$ $and$ $everything$, $from$ http://www.precentral.net/how-add-ho...hes-and-themes
    What got me was step 3. the 'Connect Your Device/no device Detected' box, never came up. Also, that Novacom install/download never came up, either??? So of course, when I start selecting which ‘tweaks’ I want, an error comes up and all that jazz. That sucks.
    BUT…today, I brought my phone to work. Attached it to my cpu here (PC) to move some music around. I plug the USB in, and select ‘USB drive’ on the phone, and what comes up soon as I do that? Hardware wizard, talking about Novacom and asking me if I want to install it. (what???) But, when I plug my phone back into my Mac…nothing. somebody please help!
    Sorry, I know very little about a MAC so I will not be able to offer much help.

Sounds like you DID get WebOS Quick Install to run. If so, please click on the main menu, File and then click Options. Locate the button marked, "Attempt Novacom (re)installation" and click it. Perhaps that will get Novacom going for you.
    I offer the attached documents ...
    MortiseMaker,

Thanks very much for investing the time and effort into your guide!
    Much appreciated.
    Hi, I'm having a problem getting my Pre connected to the WebOS Quick Install software. When I try to connect the pre I get an error msg. "Please connect your device and hit OK" then "ERROR No device detected."

Here is what I've do so far (did all this before installing WebOS Quick Install:
    updated Java
    put Pre in developer mode
    checked to see if Novacom is running (per your instructions--it is)

Don't know what else to do?
    Hope you can help. Here is my email address: tracy.martin@yahoo.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Traicarlisle View Post
    I was having a similar problem on my MacBook Pro for a while, like the poster above said try to reinstall Novacomd.

I think that might be your problem.

Also make sure that you when you go to applications>Java Preferences thank 1.6 is at the top of both lists (as the default).

Another thing to try is to restart your Macbook after installing WebosQI.
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast