Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MortiseMaker View Post
    Some software we add to our PCs take over certain file extensions .jar among them. You can change it back. You didn't mention which Windows operating system you are using. I am going to assume Vista or Windows 7. If I am right, click the Start button and then click "Default Programs" over in the right column of that interface. There will be several choices on the next screen. Select the one that says, "Associate a file type or protocol with a program". After a few seconds, you will see a list of all the possible file types on your computer. Scroll down the list until you find .jar. You will find that it is currently associated with WinRAR. Click the .jar file type, then click the "Change Program" button. A new screen will pop up with a few selections under "Recommended Programs". Select the one called Java(TM) Platform SE binary and then click OK. You should now find that when you double-click webosquickinstall.jar - the programs comes up and runs as expected.
    Did this exactly. Vista by the way. The jars now have the java icon on them, but when i double click them or right click open, they open in what seems similar to command prompt; black bg and white text; this stays up for less time than i can even read anything then closes.
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsamphex View Post
    Did this exactly. Vista by the way. The jars now have the java icon on them, but when i double click them or right click open, they open in what seems similar to command prompt; black bg and white text; this stays up for less time than i can even read anything then closes.
    Have you tried the technique outlined in this message...

http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...ml#post2080426
    After weeks of working on this I feel like I am SO close. I did the installation guide-Very helpful thanks so much! Started the "gettting started" and wondered if the steps were different for the pixi.
    For step 1 I did the "tools-tweaks" and didn't get any error messages. The tweak screen came right up, but there are no tabs it's all on one page. (This doesn't matter to me as long as it still works.) When I clicked the "Add/delete launcher" box I get an error message. "unable to process patch....the chunk doesn't match the target."
    What am I doing wrong? Are these instructions just for the pre?

Thanks so much
    Melissa
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by missy_rae View Post
    After weeks of working on this I feel like I am SO close. I did the installation guide-Very helpful thanks so much! Started the "gettting started" and wondered if the steps were different for the pixi.
    For step 1 I did the "tools-tweaks" and didn't get any error messages. The tweak screen came right up, but there are no tabs it's all on one page. (This doesn't matter to me as long as it still works.) When I clicked the "Add/delete launcher" box I get an error message. "unable to process patch....the chunk doesn't match the target."
    What am I doing wrong? Are these instructions just for the pre?

Thanks so much
    Melissa
    If you are running at least version 2.95, then yes, I believe that Jason has added code to work with Pixi. You can check your version by clicking Help and then clicking About. The current version at this time is actually 2.96.
    Getting an error occurred return value 22 ipkg (1).ipk no such file or directory when loading org.webosinternals.gstservice_0.3.3_armv7 (1).ipk

reloaded file
    clearing state_want and state_flag for pkg=org.webosinternals.gstservice (arch_priority=0 flag=16 want=2)
    an error occurred, return value 4
    colledcted errors
    cannot find package org.weboxinternals.gstservice
    check the spelling or perhaps run ipkg update
    Last edited by premark; 12/16/2009 at 04:08 PM. Reason: New updates
  6.    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by premark View Post
    Getting an error occurred return value 22 ipkg (1).ipk no such file or directory when loading org.webosinternals.gstservice_0.3.3_armv7 (1).ipk

reloaded file
    clearing state_want and state_flag for pkg=org.webosinternals.gstservice (arch_priority=0 flag=16 want=2)
    an error occurred, return value 4
    colledcted errors
    check the spelling or perhaps run ipkg update
    Hmmm. I am puzzled by this in your message...

Notice the "x" ----------------^

Reading about this over on the WebOS Internals site

I see you need to install Preware first. Did you already do that? Also notice in the info at that same link are specific instructions for getting the app installed using WebOS Quick Install
    My problem was very much like this poster's. Running Windows 7 64 bit, I could not get WOQI 2.96 to install. I checked your posts regarding the installation of JAVA and it was correctly installed.

When I opened WOQI a command prompt opened and closed very quickly. What worked was opening the command prompt and running the Java command you suggested: "Java -jar webosquickinstaller.jar". When I got the message "cannot access Java -jar webosquickinstaller.jar" I changed directories (CD) as you directed to point the command prompt to the folder where I had saved WOQI. After changing directories, when I ran the Java command "Java -jar webosquickinstaller.jar" WOQI began to install.

Thank you. You have saved my sanity.
    i am so frustrated i can get the phone to sync with my mac running snow leopard someone help me i downloaded the installation but when i put the phone to the mac and try to sync it gives me the same error
    Ok This is getting rediculous. Ive done the installation step by step on the 45 page PFD istallation guide and i cant get this novacom thing to recognize my phone it. In the top right corner if you hover over the PRE device everything says "ready to use" but.......good old novacom keeps saying "waiting for user input..." then "waitng for preconfigures folders" then "waiting for windows update" then it tells me to insert the disc that came with the novacom and that really aint going to work if you dont got one... and when i try to find it manually i went to the novacom.exe and nothing happens.....also when i put that code in on the command prompt screen..it says its running. i have no clue what is going on....Any clue to what I do????

vista 32bit
    How do I update my quick install? I am currently running v2.82?
    Thanks
  11.    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by ajhogan3531 View Post
    Ok This is getting rediculous. Ive done the installation step by step on the 45 page PFD istallation guide and i cant get this novacom thing to recognize my phone it. In the top right corner if you hover over the PRE device everything says "ready to use" but.......good old novacom keeps saying "waiting for user input..." then "waitng for preconfigures folders" then "waiting for windows update" then it tells me to insert the disc that came with the novacom and that really aint going to work if you dont got one... and when i try to find it manually i went to the novacom.exe and nothing happens.....also when i put that code in on the command prompt screen..it says its running. i have no clue what is going on....Any clue to what I do????

vista 32bit
    Have you followed Jason's troubleshooting steps found here? Many discover a problem with the USB port they are using or the cable. Others fail to get the phone into Developer Mode. If you still cannot solve it, please PM me and I will do all I can to get it going for you. Please be sure to include your operating system service pack level and the version of WebOS QuickInstall you are attempting to get running.
    Last edited by MortiseMaker; 12/29/2009 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Failed to link "here" to the troubleshooting message in Jason's WebOS Quick Install forum
  12.    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
    How do I update my quick install? I am currently running v2.82?
    Thanks
    You just download the current version and replace the one you were using by saving it or moving it into the same folder. If you want to save your current version then rename it, perhaps by including the version number in the file name first.

Please note that you must put the new file in the same folder as the WebOS Doctor .jar file or it will ask to download that file again.
    Thanks MortiseMaker. I normally look for an upgrade in the help files of an individual program.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I'm trying to install quick install on my other computer. I have quick install and webos doctor (sprint) in the same directory and when I try to run quick install it prompts me to download webOS doctor. I have the latest java. They are both .jar
  15.    #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by hollywood084 View Post
    I'm trying to install quick install on my other computer. I have quick install and webos doctor (sprint) in the same directory and when I try to run quick install it prompts me to download webOS doctor. I have the latest java. They are both .jar
    That means that it thinks the webosdoctor.jar file is missing. Did you check the file name plus extension to be sure it is correct? The downloaded webosdoctor file is renamed during the initial run of WebOS Quick Install. After that, it just looks for webosdoctor.jar in the same folder as itself. If it sees that file, you would not normally get a prompt to download it again.

Nevertheless, there is no harm in letting it download the WebOS Doctor file again. It just takes the extra time to download the approximately 230Meg file.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    the filename was wrong. It was something like webosdoctorpeww100sprint.jar

I must have (not so) surprisingly overlooked that in the installation guide. Thanks for your quick response!
  17. jr
    so frustrating..I am medical student..i purchased palm pre because i have sprint and was told all software would be available. I need epocrates..had it on classic (yuk but better than not) lost it when new webos updates crashed it..no have wasted 12 hours trying to figure out drugview, web doctor. webos installer on a macbook..i need to study medicine note code..what the hell?? anyone help me?? perhaps ill return favor and save your life by using meds apps on my fing palm pre?
    Hello,well now that holidays are over,trying to do what you said,have 2 folders in pre folder now,webosdr.jar & webosquickinstall.jar. Clicked on webos quickinstall.jar & there's nothing in it.I clicked on options & usb device highlighted instead of emulator and theres a box in red says panic button:run webosdr : restores to factory settings but im not attempting to run dr.
  19.    #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by tinabev View Post
    Hello,well now that holidays are over,trying to do what you said,have 2 folders in pre folder now,webosdr.jar & webosquickinstall.jar. Clicked on webos quickinstall.jar & there's nothing in it.I clicked on options & usb device highlighted instead of emulator and theres a box in red says panic button:run webosdr : restores to factory settings but im not attempting to run dr.
    Sounds like WebOS Quick Install must be running. You are describing this screen...

That comes up when you click File and then click Options. Click Close to close that screen if you still have it open.

Please confirm that you are running the current version of WebOS Quick Install by clicking Help and then clicking About to see...

Hopefully you are running version 2.96. If not, tell me what version you are running. Click close to close the About screen.

Next, connect your Pre to your computer and then click Tools and then click Linux Command Line...

Enter the command:

ls /media/internal/DCIM/100PALM

and press the Enter key on your keyboard. You should see a list of the photos on the Pre. They will be named CIMG0001.jpg, CIMG0002.jpg, through CIMG0100.jpg or more depending on how many are on there. The last digit increases for each photo.

If this all works up to this point, create a new folder somewhere on your PC to hold the photos we will move from the Pre to your PC.

Close the Linux Command Line and then click Tools and then click Receive File...

Click the button with 3 dots on it (...) and then browse to the folder on your PC where you want to save the photos. In my case, I selected D:\Misc Photos, as shown in the graphic. Next, enter the path and file name of the first photo (/media/internal/DCIM/100PALM/CIMG0001.jpg) and then click the Get from device button. The result should be a message, "File transferred successfully". Click OK, then repeat the commands for each photo you wish to transfer to your PC, changing the file name for each photo e.g. CIMG0002.jpg, etc.)

If you have WinZip, you can first put all your photos in an archive and then transfer the archive to your PC. Then, using WinZip, you could unzip them all at once into your folder. If you want to try that, bring up the Linux Command Line and issue the command...

tar -cvvf /media/internal/photos.tar /media/internal/DCIM/100PALM/

Wait a few seconds/minutes until you see the results of the tar command. Then check for the presence of the tar file by issuing the command...

ls -l /media/internal/photos.tar

You should get a listing of a file of several megabytes. If so, you can then transfer that single file to your PC. Bring up the Receive File dialog, browse to your new folder to hold the file and then enter the file's path and name...

/media/internal/photos.tar

Once the file is transferred, you can close out of WebOS Quick Install and use WinZip to unzip your photos.

Tell me how you do. Ask questions for any part you do not understand.
    its not that version its 2.82,so not sure if I should proceed any further.I clicked on linux command line just to see and something different comes up.First I get an error message saying Error2: No return code found in stream from file:///bin/mount.
    In the box it says root@castle:
    Last edited by tinabev; 01/03/2010 at 01:35 PM.
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast