Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tinabev View Post
    Any other suggestions? should I run Dr & take a chance of losing everything or try & find someone who knows about linux to take pics off one by one? Prob is I took it to 2 computer stores already
    Tina, if you run WebDr, you will lose everything from your phone and that includes your pictures. If you're trying to find someone who knows how to take your pics off the phone using the linux commands, you'll have to do that BEFORE you run WebDr.

Once your run Webdr, there is no going back. It's a one-way shot. 100% of your photos and everything else on your USB partition of the phone will be erased, guaranteed.

Running WebDR puts your phone back to the original preloaded condition from when you first purchased your phone (fresh out of the box). It allows you to start from scratch from the software side (operating system).
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Tina, if you run WebDr, you will lose everything from your phone and that includes your pictures. If you're trying to find someone who knows how to take your pics off the phone using the linux commands, you'll have to do that BEFORE you run WebDr.

Once your run Webdr, there is no going back. It's a one-way shot. 100% of your photos and everything else on your USB partition of the phone will be erased, guaranteed.

Running WebDR puts your phone back to the original preloaded condition from when you first purchased your phone (fresh out of the box). It allows you to start from scratch from the software side (operating system).
    Are you sure? shadow360 says the new webosdoctor 1.3.1 leaves files on usb partition in tact,& tomi666 says if they get erased I can get them back with EASYRECOVERYPRO? What do you think and do I have any options except linux?
  3.    #43  
    Unfortuneately theres nothing there when I click on expand
    Hmmm. Well, something is goofed up. I really don't know what that might be. The USB driver in the Pre appears to be working but cannot find the expected file structure.

I presume you also tried the "Open" selection. There should have been several files/folders listed as I demonstrated from a directory listing from my Pre.

My understanding is that you now have 2 Pre's? If so, does this method show the expected files when you connect your new Pre to your PC?
    Quote Originally Posted by MortiseMaker View Post
    Hmmm. Well, something is goofed up. I really don't know what that might be. The USB driver in the Pre appears to be working but cannot find the expected file structure.

I presume you also tried the "Open" selection. There should have been several files/folders listed as I demonstrated from a directory listing from my Pre.

My understanding is that you now have 2 Pre's? If so, does this method show the expected files when you connect your new Pre to your PC?
    My new phone does exactly what you said it should do,and yes,I tried opening everything on j drive with old phone,it all says insert disk except open as portable device does bring it up under folder but nothing comes up,clicked on everything.If phone is not in usb mode would this be normal and if my phone says I have pictures do I?I can see some in little blocks on screen but can't open cause screen doesn't work.My old phone's screen stopped working when I dropped it on hardwood floor,so it did get a pretty good shock.
    My new phone does exactly what you said it should do,and yes,I tried opening everything on j drive with old phone,it all says insert disk except open as portable device does bring it up under folder but nothing comes up,clicked on everything.If phone is not in usb mode would this be normal and if my phone says I have pictures do I?I can see some in little blocks on screen but can't open cause screen doesn't work.My old phone's screen stopped working when I dropped it on hardwood floor,so it did get a pretty good shock.
    Also,when I first plug phone in it trys to install because I can see it on bottom right trying but very quickly it says on bottom right "device driver software not successfully installed" then it goes away.So I'm thinking its not in USB mode and thats the problem all along,what do you think?
    Also,when I first plug phone in it trys to install because I can see it on bottom right trying but very quickly it says on bottom right "device driver software not successfully installed" then it goes away.So I'm thinking its not in USB mode and thats the problem all along,what do you think?
    If you don't see an image like the one in this picture, you're not in USB mode. The only difference is that instead of the music notes in the center of the Pre's screen, it'll be a BIG USB symbol. But as you can tell, nothing else exists on the screen. User interface is completely disabled (which means it is in USB mode).

pre.jpg
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    If you don't see an image like the one in this picture, you're not in USB mode. The only difference is that instead of the music notes in the center of the Pre's screen, it'll be a BIG USB symbol. But as you can tell, nothing else exists on the screen. User interface is completely disabled (which means it is in USB mode).

pre.jpg
    Correct,I don't get that,I can get I guess I am told is called development mode by pressing volume up,etc and it brings up huge symbol but NOT a pic of my phone with small usb sym inside.Do I have any options besides the linux thing and who can I get that knows about that? I tried 2 computer stores already.I can send my phone anywhere,also.Thank-you.
  8.    #48  
    Hmmm. That seems a bit odd, since you are able to put your new Pre into USB mode, right? You do see the pic of the phone with a big USB symbol on it when you connect it to your PC, right? If so, that would also seem to indicate that the appropriate driver is already on your PC.

Your bad Pre does appear to be going into charge only mode instead of the expected USB mode. When you plug in the Pre with the bad screen, do you see the three "buttons" at the bottom of the phone like you see when you plug in your new Pre? That screen has to be displayed before the before you can press the Orange key, the Sym key and the U keys at the same time to simulate tapping on the button labeled "USB Drive" on the screen.
    yes,my new phone works properly and shows pic of pre w/usb sym in it when I select usb,with old pre I do get the 3 options on bottom of phone but of course I can't select anything,I don't think I have 1.1.3 because my old pre broke a couple months ago and I was told the update is only about a month old,so red,sym,u won't work unless I update and if I update I am told by some I will definitely lose my pics cause it wants me to run dr,others say this new update does not affect usb side of phone,so don't know what to do,don't know anything about linux,if I knew who did I would take it to him,I have over 200 pics,I take my pics off my phone very quickly now
    Last edited by tinabev; 12/03/2009 at 10:56 PM.
  10.    #50  
    yes,my new phone works properly and shows pic of pre w/usb sym in it when I select usb,with old pre I do get the 3 options on bottom of phone but of course I can't select anything,I don't think I have 1.1.3 because my old pre broke a couple months ago and I was told the update is only about a month old,so red,sym,u won't work unless I update and if I update I am told by some I will definitely lose my pics cause it wants me to run dr,others say this new update does not affect usb side of phone,so don't know what to do,don't know anything about linux,if I knew who did I would take it to him,I have over 200 pics,I take my pics off my phone very quickly now
    OK - That confirms that your Pre with the bad screen is NOT in USB mode. That leaves only one other avenue that we have not exercised and that is to get WebOS Quick Install properly set up and working with your new phone. Then, we could test using it with the other one. I would be unwilling to guarantee that would work either, because that also (normally) involves pressing the button labeled "Just Charge" - however, I just tested my own Pre and I could still use WOSQI without pressing anything. Just by connecting the Pre to the USB port.

So, if you want to try that, please download the latest version of WebOS QI (see message 1 in that forum http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...ll-v2-9-a.html). I would also prefer that you download (but DO NOT RUN) the WebOS Doctor file directly from the link in that same message. That way we can avoid any problems related to that file.

You may already have these files on your computer. If so, fine, we can proceed from there. Did you already get your Java updated and tested according to my instructions in message 1 in this forum?

Bottom line. We could test the ability to see a directory listing of the files on your Pre with the broken screen. If we can see the files, you could them copy them to your PC one at a time using a feature of WebOSQI.

I do not know of anyone offering the specific services you require for your Pre. This is not something that Sprint would normally do - probably too many legal implications. I don't really know.
    Yes I downloaded java when I was trying to follow the process back in November.Is this link a different version from the one I clicked on in early November? I do have 1.3.1 on my new phone because I checked.Is webosquickinstall something different because I thought it was a 1.3.1 update,sorry,I don't understand,I have webosquickinstall on my desktop because I started the process till I got to the part to run dr then stopped.When I click it says "to run properly it is required to download webosdr,would you like to run it now? I saw webosdrsprint somewhere in my computer but forget where it is,I stated in another thread what the files said.Can you please tell me where to look for this in my computer?Anyway the one on my desktop doesnt give me any other option than to run dr,so how do I get around this or is this webosqi a newer or different version than the one I used in November and are you wanting me to start over?Either way,I need your help to walk me through this,if it doesn't work out,at least I know I tried everything.
    Last edited by tinabev; 12/04/2009 at 01:36 PM.
  12.    #52  
    Yes I downloaded java when I was trying to follow the process back in November.Is this link a different version from the one I clicked on in early November? I do have 1.3.1 on my new phone because I checked.Is webosquickinstall something different because I thought it was a 1.3.1 update,sorry,I don't understand,I have webosquickinstall on my desktop because I started the process till I got to the part to run dr then stopped.When I click it says "to run properly it is required to download webosdr,would you like to run it now? I saw webosdrsprint somewhere in my computer but forget where it is,I stated in another thread what the files said.Can you please tell me where to look for this in my computer?Anyway the one on my desktop doesnt give me any other option than to run dr,so how do I get around this or is this webosqi a newer or different version than the one I used in November and are you wanting me to start over?Either way,I need your help to walk me through this,if it doesn't work out,at least I know I tried everything.
    Well, WebOS Quick Install does not run the WebOS Doctor. It DOES request that you download it, if it does not find the file in the same folder as itself.

Please create a folder on your desktop and call it Pre. Put the webosquickinstall.jar in that folder. If you cannot find the webosdoctor.jar file on your computer, please download it again (200Meg) from the message in the link I sent in the last message. The link to the doctor file is in the paragraph under "Requirements". Click on the link called "Sprint Download Here" and save the file in the same folder called Pre. I want you to manually rename the doctor file from webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar to webosdoctor.jar. So, now you should have 2 files in the Pre folder, both ending in .jar. Please be sure you can see the .jar file extensions.

When you have done that, continue with the setup of webosquickinstall. It will now "see" the webosdoctor.jar file and you will NOT see the part of the setup that you believe indicates that you are going to "run" the WebOS Doctor.

By the way, if you have not already done so, please download my "WebOS Quick Install - Installation.pdf" attached to the first message in this forum. Please review it if you have not already done so. It is a step-by-step set of instructions for getting the software going on your PC.

Let me know how this goes, then we will proceed further.
    Last edited by MortiseMaker; 12/04/2009 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Added request to review my installation document
    Ok,thanks,I really appreciate your help,I did create a Palm folder back in November,I didn't understand how to put anything in it,I'll try again tomorrow,there's nothing in it now but I can see it
  14.    #54  
    Ok,thanks,I really appreciate your help,I did create a Palm folder back in November,I didn't understand how to put anything in it,I'll try again tomorrow,there's nothing in it now but I can see it
    Sounds good. The only other idea I have is that perhaps I could connect to your PC remotely and do this for you. I have no idea if that may be possible. I believe Vista has a way for you to send a request for remote assistance. If you want to try that, I have set up the following email address just for your use:

deempd<hyphen>tina<at>yahoo<dot>com

The address has been doctored to prevent harvesting.
    Last edited by MortiseMaker; 12/06/2009 at 10:02 AM. Reason: make email harvesting a little more difficult
    I have tried following the instructions and installing all the components needed to run WebOSQuick Installer. When I double click on the .jar now though all that happens is what looks like console screen flashes up on the monitor with what looks like a message. I can't read it because it goes by so fast though. I've tried re-installing everything including Java. Any ideas what might be going on?

Thanks
  16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by lgerhardstein View Post
    I have tried following the instructions and installing all the components needed to run WebOSQuick Installer. When I double click on the .jar now though all that happens is what looks like console screen flashes up on the monitor with what looks like a message. I can't read it because it goes by so fast though. I've tried re-installing everything including Java. Any ideas what might be going on?

Thanks
    Perhaps you can get a look at the message by running it manually. Bring up a command console window (Start->Run then enter cmd and click OK). Click on the window that just came up and cd to where you saved the webosquickinstall.jar file. Next, enter the command...

java -jar webosquickinstall.jar

Check the window for the message that appears in that window. Perhaps somewhere in that will be a clue as to the problem.
    Interesting, when I run that command in cmd mode the program starts and runs, though it still won't find the device even after doing the Novatel install.
  18.    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by lgerhardstein View Post
    Interesting, when I run that command in cmd mode the program starts and runs, though it still won't find the device even after doing the Novatel install.
    Please refer to the troubleshooting section in the WebOS Quick Install forum. Also, please reference my instructions to be sure Novacom is running correctly.
    Issue the following command from the command console window...

sc query novacomd

Key is that the STATE is RUNNING. If you find that not to be the case, remove the Novacom software and reinstall. Be sure to do a cold reboot of your PC after the removal and prior to the reinstallation attempt.
    Last edited by MortiseMaker; 12/06/2009 at 10:03 AM. Reason: changed STATUS to STATE
    A week ago everything was setup just fine with webos quick install. However, today, it's opening with winrar and not the regular java execution.... help?
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsamphex View Post
    A week ago everything was setup just fine with webos quick install. However, today, it's opening with winrar and not the regular java execution.... help?
    Some software we add to our PCs take over certain file extensions .jar among them. You can change it back. You didn't mention which Windows operating system you are using. I am going to assume Vista or Windows 7. If I am right, click the Start button and then click "Default Programs" over in the right column of that interface. There will be several choices on the next screen. Select the one that says, "Associate a file type or protocol with a program". After a few seconds, you will see a list of all the possible file types on your computer. Scroll down the list until you find .jar. You will find that it is currently associated with WinRAR. Click the .jar file type, then click the "Change Program" button. A new screen will pop up with a few selections under "Recommended Programs". Select the one called Java(TM) Platform SE binary and then click OK. You should now find that when you double-click webosquickinstall.jar - the programs comes up and runs as expected.
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast