webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developer Forums >  Canuck Coding > Installing and Getting Started with WebOS Quick Install
Installing and Getting Started with WebOS Quick Install
Like Tree1Likes

Old 12/01/2009, 12:00 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortiseMaker View Post
I am not certain I completely understand your current situation. Can you use your computer to copy the photos from the Pre when connected as a USB drive? You do NOT want to run the WebOS Doctor prior to saving your pics. They WILL be erased when you run it.

There was an article on PreCentral that explains how to get the phone in USB drive mode when the screen is not working... http://www.precentral.net/quick-tip-...de-dead-screen

Please let me know if you need further assistance.
I guess problem is I can't get it to connect to computer as usb drive,I can get large 3-way USB symbol by holding in volume button,reinstalling battery,unpugging & plugging back in. I've also tried holding red,sym,& u key at same time and I get small USB symbol on bottom right of phone but the only thing that comes up on computer is Safely Remove Hardware box,when I use the hold volume button in method,inside the safely remove hardware box says Palm Novacom(bootie) & no j drive appears under my computer,when I use hold 3 buttons down method it says in box, usb mass storage,palm pre usb drive & generic volume(j & j drive shows up under my computer,also when I plug new phone it loads as saying palm pre j drive importing smll multimedia presentation and all these strange looking boxes come up,not pics(I already got new pics off but before it would continue to load same ones) and when I click any box real player comes up but won't play anything
tinabev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/01/2009, 02:09 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinabev View Post
I guess problem is I can't get it to connect to computer as usb drive,I can get large 3-way USB symbol by holding in volume button,reinstalling battery,unpugging & plugging back in. I've also tried holding red,sym,& u key at same time and I get small USB symbol on bottom right of phone but the only thing that comes up on computer is Safely Remove Hardware box,when I use the hold volume button in method,inside the safely remove hardware box says Palm Novacom(bootie) & no j drive appears under my computer,when I use hold 3 buttons down method it says in box, usb mass storage,palm pre usb drive & generic volume(j & j drive shows up under my computer,also when I plug new phone it loads as saying palm pre j drive importing smll multimedia presentation and all these strange looking boxes come up,not pics(I already got new pics off but before it would continue to load same ones) and when I click any box real player comes up but won't play anything
Hmmm. Well, it does appear that you phone is going into USB mode and your PC can see it. The big USB symbol on the phone indicates that. You may only see the "Safely Remove Hardware" item pop up in your "system tray" at the lower-right corner of your window.

I am assuming you are running some version of Windows. If so, when the phone is connected to your PC, you should be able to use Windows Explorer and browse to your J: drive. On that drive, you should see a folder called DCIM. When you point to that folder with your mouse and double-click, it should open to reveal another folder called 100 PALM. A double-click on that folder will open it. If you have any photos in there, they will appear as files named CIMG0001.jpg, CIMG0002, thru however many pictures are there. You can select them all at once and either copy or drag and drop them on your C: drive to copy them to your PC.

I am not certain about with real player. Perhaps that is seeing something on the J: drive that it is capable of handling and therefore it comes up and tries to play it.

If you need further assistance,
MortiseMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/01/2009, 06:33 PM   #23 (permalink)

There is no dcim folder,i am told i must not have 1.3.1,i have not used this phone since it broke a couple months ago,just trying to get pics off.i was told to download webos but it wants me to download doctor first,he said not to worry but someone else said absolutely do not run doctor or it will delete mt data.
Old 12/01/2009, 07:47 PM   #24 (permalink)

im tired of fighting with this ive tried and tried for hours cant day after day i cant do it very dissapointing
kim.feliciano@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/01/2009, 08:14 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim.feliciano@yahoo.com View Post
im tired of fighting with this ive tried and tried for hours cant day after day i cant do it very dissapointing
Are you trying to get pics off too?
Old 12/02/2009, 08:58 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
There is no dcim folder,i am told i must not have 1.3.1,i have not used this phone since it broke a couple months ago,just trying to get pics off.i was told to download webos but it wants me to download doctor first,he said not to worry but someone else said absolutely do not run doctor or it will delete mt data.
OK. I failed to mention, you do not need WebOS Quick Install nor the WebOS Doctor if all you want to do is to be able to copy files between your Pre's USB drive and your PC. The version of WebOS that you have on the phone with the non-responsive screen does not matter. The default storage location of photos on the Pre has not changed since it was originally introduced.

Let's try something else. This will show the files and folders on your Pre's USB drive. Of course you must have the Pre connected to your PC first and in USB drive mode. Once connected and you see the "Safely Remove Hardware and Remove Media" symbol in your system tray, move your mouse cursor over that symbol and press your secondary mouse button (Perhaps that is the right-hand button for you). A little window will pop-up and one of the lines in it, just below the words "Eject Pre", will state, "Eject PALM PRE (J. The drive letter appearing between the parentheses may be different. I am assuming from your other messages the drive letter is J:, that is the drive letter that your Pre is connected to.

Bring up a console window on your PC. One way to do that is to Click the following in the order listed: Start->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt. Click in the window that comes up and type J: followed by pressing the enter key on your keyboard. The prompt changes to J:. Now, type

dir /A

and press the enter key on your keyboard.

My drive letter is L: for my Pre. Here is a list of my folders and files. Yours will be somewhat different. Please post what you get in your next message.

C:\Users\Phil>L:

L:\>dir /a
Volume in drive L is PALM PRE
Volume Serial Number is 4094-3569

Directory of L:\

07/02/2009 11:42 PM 760,090 Open Source Information.pdf
09/28/2009 06:40 PM <DIR> ringtones
09/28/2009 06:19 PM <DIR> .wallpapers
06/23/2009 09:08 PM <DIR> .sysservice
07/29/2009 06:53 PM <DIR> DCIM
06/23/2009 09:08 PM 109,230 .VolumeIcon.icns
09/20/2009 02:23 PM <DIR> wallpapers
11/14/2009 07:15 PM <DIR> downloads
07/27/2009 02:40 PM 7,342,040 HaveFun.mp4
10/23/2009 04:17 PM <DIR> .app-storage
10/24/2009 12:09 PM <DIR> Photos
07/28/2009 11:15 AM <DIR> Music
11/16/2009 01:15 PM <DIR> screencaptures
10/03/2009 11:22 AM <DIR> .temp
09/29/2009 08:47 PM 13 .hidden
10/12/2009 04:51 PM <DIR> .attachments
08/26/2009 01:01 PM <DIR> PDFs
4 File(s) 8,211,373 bytes
13 Dir(s) 6,471,843,840 bytes free

L:\>
Old 12/02/2009, 10:42 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
OK. I failed to mention, you do not need WebOS Quick Install nor the WebOS Doctor if all you want to do is to be able to copy files between your Pre's USB drive and your PC. The version of WebOS that you have on the phone with the non-responsive screen does not matter. The default storage location of photos on the Pre has not changed since it was originally introduced.

Let's try something else. This will show the files and folders on your Pre's USB drive. Of course you must have the Pre connected to your PC first and in USB drive mode. Once connected and you see the "Safely Remove Hardware and Remove Media" symbol in your system tray, move your mouse cursor over that symbol and press your secondary mouse button (Perhaps that is the right-hand button for you). A little window will pop-up and one of the lines in it, just below the words "Eject Pre", will state, "Eject PALM PRE (J. The drive letter appearing between the parentheses may be different. I am assuming from your other messages the drive letter is J:, that is the drive letter that your Pre is connected to.

Bring up a console window on your PC. One way to do that is to Click the following in the order listed: Start->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt. Click in the window that comes up and type J: followed by pressing the enter key on your keyboard. The prompt changes to J:. Now, type

dir /A

and press the enter key on your keyboard.

My drive letter is L: for my Pre. Here is a list of my folders and files. Yours will be somewhat different. Please post what you get in your next message.

C:\Users\Phil>L:

L:\>dir /a
Volume in drive L is PALM PRE
Volume Serial Number is 4094-3569

Directory of L:\

07/02/2009 11:42 PM 760,090 Open Source Information.pdf
09/28/2009 06:40 PM <DIR> ringtones
09/28/2009 06:19 PM <DIR> .wallpapers
06/23/2009 09:08 PM <DIR> .sysservice
07/29/2009 06:53 PM <DIR> DCIM
06/23/2009 09:08 PM 109,230 .VolumeIcon.icns
09/20/2009 02:23 PM <DIR> wallpapers
11/14/2009 07:15 PM <DIR> downloads
07/27/2009 02:40 PM 7,342,040 HaveFun.mp4
10/23/2009 04:17 PM <DIR> .app-storage
10/24/2009 12:09 PM <DIR> Photos
07/28/2009 11:15 AM <DIR> Music
11/16/2009 01:15 PM <DIR> screencaptures
10/03/2009 11:22 AM <DIR> .temp
09/29/2009 08:47 PM 13 .hidden
10/12/2009 04:51 PM <DIR> .attachments
08/26/2009 01:01 PM <DIR> PDFs
4 File(s) 8,211,373 bytes
13 Dir(s) 6,471,843,840 bytes free

L:\>
I tried @ the when I typed in j: it gives eror message saying please insert a disk device/hardisk1/dr7
Old 12/02/2009, 11:35 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
I tried @ the when I typed in j: it gives eror message saying please insert a disk device/hardisk1/dr7
Hmmm. So now the phone is not connecting to your PC? You stated in a previous message that you did see it as a J: drive, right?
Old 12/02/2009, 12:13 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Hmmm. So now the phone is not connecting to your PC? You stated in a previous message that you did see it as a J: drive, right?
yes,still do but when i click it wants me to insert disk,when i disconnect from computer j drive goes away
Old 12/02/2009, 12:22 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
yes,still do but when i click it wants me to insert disk,when i disconnect from computer j drive goes away
So you are using Windows Explorer to click on the J: drive, right? When you click it - then the PC asks to insert disk, right? If that is the case, then perhaps the phone is NOT connecting to the PC fully.

Did you try not clicking anything? Just bring up the console window as I described in a previous message and type J: - Perhaps you did that and you are saying that you get something like: "The system cannot find the drive specified."

Also, please confirm that you are using a Windows PC. The message you stated, "device/hardisk1/dr7" makes me suspect that you are using a Linux or perhaps a MAC.

Last edited by MortiseMaker; 12/02/2009 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Thought of another question.
Old 12/02/2009, 01:48 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
So you are using Windows Explorer to click on the J: drive, right? When you click it - then the PC asks to insert disk, right? If that is the case, then perhaps the phone is NOT connecting to the PC fully.

Did you try not clicking anything? Just bring up the console window as I described in a previous message and type J: - Perhaps you did that and you are saying that you get something like: "The system cannot find the drive specified."

Also, please confirm that you are using a Windows PC. The message you stated, "device/hardisk1/dr7" makes me suspect that you are using a Linux or perhaps a MAC.
No,Im not using those that i know of,right I don't think I'm connecting,need to be in usb mode,can't get past dev mode,I'm going to run dr and see what happens,no other choice,pics could be gone already cause I started to run WEBOS & may have ran doctor then noticed bottom of page said don't run DR till you save data so I stopped & clicked on sprint version but may have been too late,don't know,saw webossprintdr in computer somewhere but forget where to find it to see, can't save data first so a couple guys said need to update to 1.3.1 to use 3 button method to get into usb mode and it may not erase usb side of phone so we'll see.When I use the hold volume,reconnect,reinstall battery method,brings up huge 3-way symbol on phone w/no J drive and safely remove hardware says novacom(bootie),when I try to close it properly it says cant close because a program is still using it,I must have downloaded novacom when downloading webos which I'm not sure I ran and its on my desktop,tells me have to run doctor first,so didn't continue,when I use hold red,sym & u button j drive comes up & SRH box says usb mass storage device,palm pre usb device & volume-(J

Last edited by tinabev; 12/02/2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12/02/2009, 02:45 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
No,Im not using those that i know of,right I don't think I'm connecting,need to be in usb mode,can't get past dev mode,I'm going to run dr and see what happens,no other choice,pics could be gone already cause I started to run WEBOS & may have ran doctor then noticed bottom of page said don't run DR till you save data so I stopped & clicked on sprint version but may have been too late,don't know,saw webossprintdr in computer somewhere but forget where to find it to see, can't save data first so a couple guys said need to update to 1.3.1 to use 3 button method to get into usb mode and it may not erase usb side of phone so we'll see.When I use the hold volume,reconnect,reinstall battery method,brings up huge 3-way symbol on phone w/no J drive and safely remove hardware says novacom(bootie),when I try to close it properly it says cant close because a program is still using it,I must have downloaded novacom when downloading webos which I'm not sure I ran and its on my desktop,tells me have to run doctor first,so didn't continue,when I use hold red,sym & u button j drive comes up & SRH box says usb mass storage device,palm pre usb device & volume-(J
Well, I still don't know if you are running Windows operating system on your PC.

Another question - the Pre with the cracked screen - do you see graphics there or is it completely dark? The reason for the question is that if it is still displaying graphics, you could type photo on your keyboard and press the return key. That will bring up the photo application and you could see if there were any pictures displayed. If you did not move them manually, they would be in a section called Photo Roll.

Understand that you may be planning to run WebOS Doctor anyway. You would not normally run that when setting up WebOS Quick Install. It DOES make a request to download it from your phone service provider, since it needs the file in order to extract the Palm Novacom software and install it.
So, it does download the Doctor for you unless it already finds a file called webosdoctor.jar in the same folder with itself. But, it DOES NOT run the doctor at all.
Old 12/02/2009, 02:58 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, I still don't know if you are running Windows operating system on your PC.

Another question - the Pre with the cracked screen - do you see graphics there or is it completely dark? The reason for the question is that if it is still displaying graphics, you could type photo on your keyboard and press the return key. That will bring up the photo application and you could see if there were any pictures displayed. If you did not move them manually, they would be in a section called Photo Roll.

Understand that you may be planning to run WebOS Doctor anyway. You would not normally run that when setting up WebOS Quick Install. It DOES make a request to download it from your phone service provider, since it needs the file in order to extract the Palm Novacom software and install it.
So, it does download the Doctor for you unless it already finds a file called webosdoctor.jar in the same folder with itself. But, it DOES NOT run the doctor at all.
hey! my pics r still there! don't understand everything else you said though,sorry,If you could just tell me step by step what I should do,tried webquickinstall,then stopped & ran sprint version,won't let me go any further unless I run doctor, and sorry,yes I have windows vista,I have 270 images and 247 in my photo roll and 11 in messaging and 12 wallpapers, I'm so happy they're still there but HOW do I get them off? Should I update to 1.3.1 & finish webosquickinstall even if it asks me to run doctor? Some here say it will wipe out pics,some say won't effect usb side of phone,IM SO CONFUSED! Also,when I right click the j drive,I clicked on open as a portable device,nothing happens but when I click right on j drive on left side of screen under folders,clicked import pics & bottom right of computer says no pics or videos are found on this device

Last edited by tinabev; 12/02/2009 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12/02/2009, 03:24 PM   #34 (permalink)

w/o the touchscreen, I don't think you can update to 1.3.1. Also, if you run WebDR (which is NOT the same as WebOS Quick Install) you will wipe everything from your phone (USB side included).

Since you have not used ur phone for a couple of months, you don't have WebOS 1.3.1 which means that the shortcut will not work (orange + sym + U) and other than pullling them off one by one via a command line / Linux terminal (which is for advanced users), you really won't be able to get ur pics off the phone (if they still remain on it).
Old 12/02/2009, 03:35 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
hey! my pics r still there! don't understand everything else you said though,sorry,If you could just tell me step by step what I should do,tried webquickinstall,then stopped & ran sprint version,won't let me go any further unless I run doctor, and sorry,yes I have windows vista,I have 270 images and 247 in my photo roll and 11 in messaging and 12 wallpapers, I'm so happy they're still there but HOW do I get them off? Should I update to 1.3.1 & finish webosquickinstall even if it asks me to run doctor? Some here say it will wipe out pics,some say won't effect usb side of phone,IM SO CONFUSED! Also,when I right click the j drive,I clicked on open as a portable device,nothing happens but when I click right on j drive on left side of screen under folders,clicked import pics & bottom right of computer says no pics or videos are found on this device
Well, let's try a couple other things. I am running Windows 7 and have forgotten a little about Vista. But toward the end of your message you state that you click right on j drive on left side of screen under folders, what other choices are there when you right click besides "import pics"? Is there a choice called "Expand" or "Browse folders"?
Old 12/02/2009, 03:36 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
w/o the touchscreen, I don't think you can update to 1.3.1. Also, if you run WebDR (which is NOT the same as WebOS Quick Install) you will wipe everything from your phone (USB side included).

Since you have not used ur phone for a couple of months, you don't have WebOS 1.3.1 which means that the shortcut will not work (orange + sym + U) and other than pullling them off one by one via a command line / Linux terminal (which is for advanced users), you really won't be able to get ur pics off the phone (if they still remain on it).
Thanks! I didn't run anything yet,still scared to and especially now that it says I have my pics,mortisemaker told me to type in photos and there they are,says I have 247 in photo roll,I will take this phone some where to get pics off with linux one by one but don't know who to take it to,tried computer store already,any suggestions? I am already being charged $200 on my sprint bill for this phone so I have lots of time now.
Old 12/02/2009, 03:40 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, let's try a couple other things. I am running Windows 7 and have forgotten a little about Vista. But toward the end of your message you state that you click right on j drive on left side of screen under folders, what other choices are there when you right click besides "import pics"? Is there a choice called "Expand" or "Browse folders"?
yes,there's expand,open,import pictures,rename & properties
Old 12/02/2009, 03:48 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
yes,there's expand,open,import pictures,rename & properties
Good. Please click on "Expand". That should show you all the available folders on that drive. Hopefully, that will work and you will then see DCIM. That is the folder where your pics are located - well, actually one more folder down called 100PALM.
Old 12/02/2009, 04:09 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Good. Please click on "Expand". That should show you all the available folders on that drive. Hopefully, that will work and you will then see DCIM. That is the folder where your pics are located - well, actually one more folder down called 100PALM.
Unfortuneately theres nothing there when I click on expand
Old 12/02/2009, 04:38 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Unfortuneately theres nothing there when I click on expand
Any other suggestions? should I run Dr & take a chance of losing everything or try & find someone who knows about linux to take pics off one by one? Prob is I took it to 2 computer stores already
Thanked By: PreHoss83

Tags
guide, help files, instructions, setup, webos quick install

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0