Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #241  
    Quote Originally Posted by misstake View Post
    Thanks! that did the job! Unfortunately... another question. (sorry)
    When I typed in 'sc query novacomd' to run it, it says it was not found. what should I do here? Did I do something wrong?
    Not really. Command not found may be resolved by just adding a phrase to your PATH so Windows can locate the executable file e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin. Seems some systems need this - others don't.
    I have WebOS Quick Install running just fine on my Vista 64 bit desktop machine but I cannot for the life of me get it going on my Windows 7 64 bit laptop. I've tried every bit of advice that I've found in the forums and been unsuccessful. I keep getting the "Could not find main class:" then the file location string and the unhappy news that program will exit. Both WebOSQuickInstall and WebOSDoctor are in a folder thus: C:\WOSQI
    Any more ideas or suggestions? Thanks -

Edit - I have no idea why except for shear perseverence, but I got things working after going through all the command line instructions!

Edit - still have a problem in that I can only launch WOSQI through the command prompt. Just double clicking on the jar file flashes a dos cmd window with the error mentioned above which is different from when I started because I got a little window that would hang with the error message when I used Firefox to download and had the 32 bit version of java running. All of this seems to be related to my downloading the 64 bit version of java and using IE 64 bit to download WOSQI. Some progress is good but this is still frustrating and annoying so I'm still grateful for ideas and suggestions!
    Last edited by jthore; 10/28/2010 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Got things working - but not all the way
  3.    #243  
    Quote Originally Posted by jthore View Post
    I have WebOS Quick Install running just fine on my Vista 64 bit desktop machine but I cannot for the life of me get it going on my Windows 7 64 bit laptop. I've tried every bit of advice that I've found in the forums and been unsuccessful. I keep getting the "Could not find main class:" then the file location string and the unhappy news that program will exit. Both WebOSQuickInstall and WebOSDoctor are in a folder thus: C:\WOSQI
    Any more ideas or suggestions? Thanks -

Edit - I have no idea why except for shear perseverence, but I got things working after going through all the command line instructions!

Edit - still have a problem in that I can only launch WOSQI through the command prompt. Just double clicking on the jar file flashes a dos cmd window with the error mentioned above which is different from when I started because I got a little window that would hang with the error message when I used Firefox to download and had the 32 bit version of java running. All of this seems to be related to my downloading the 64 bit version of java and using IE 64 bit to download WOSQI. Some progress is good but this is still frustrating and annoying so I'm still grateful for ideas and suggestions!
    You are on the right track. Java or more specifically the way Java is working on your system is the problem. As you have discovered manually starting the program from a command line works.

Most of us have used the 32-bit version of Java even though we are running 64-bit systems. In my case, the Java executable lives at: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin. Some have had success by adding the path to java.exe to their environment PATH variable.

You might also check/verify the association of the .jar file. You can do this by issuing the commands from a command console window:

C:\>assoc .jar
    .jar=jarfile

C:\>ftype jarfile
    jarfile="C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1" %*
    I am at the spot on the Installation that I am adding a 'Tweak'. Its telling me that my phone is not connected, but it is. I selected the 'Just Charge' option just as instructed. why cant the PC see my phone?

When I plug my Pixi into the computer the Windows Wizard wants to install some software/driver for the phone. So i click Next and allow it to search and do its thing, but it comes back saying it cant find the right software, and that my hardware might not work properly. Could this be the reason WebOS cant find my phone to connect and install the 'Tweak'?
    Last edited by EOConcepts; 11/04/2010 at 01:45 PM.
  5.    #245  
    Quote Originally Posted by EOConcepts View Post
    I am at the spot on the Installation that I am adding a 'Tweak'. Its telling me that my phone is not connected, but it is. I selected the 'Just Charge' option just as instructed. why cant the PC see my phone?

When I plug my Pixi into the computer the Windows Wizard wants to install some software/driver for the phone. So i click Next and allow it to search and do its thing, but it comes back saying it cant find the right software, and that my hardware might not work properly. Could this be the reason WebOS cant find my phone to connect and install the 'Tweak'?
    Yes. The Palm (Novacom) USB driver must be installed in order to connect the phone to your PC.

Try rebooting your PC from a cold start (meaning total power off, then back on). Then repeat the Novacom installation by using the "Attempt Novacom (re)installation" button in WebOSQI. You will find that button on the Options screen. Click File, then Click Options, then click the button to reinstall Novacom.
    Okay i did everything you said. Rebooted, reinstalled, still no connection. bummer.
    Quote Originally Posted by MortiseMaker View Post
    You are on the right track. Java or more specifically the way Java is working on your system is the problem. As you have discovered manually starting the program from a command line works.

Most of us have used the 32-bit version of Java even though we are running 64-bit systems. In my case, the Java executable lives at: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin. Some have had success by adding the path to java.exe to their environment PATH variable.

You might also check/verify the association of the .jar file. You can do this by issuing the commands from a command console window:

C:\>assoc .jar
    .jar=jarfile

C:\>ftype jarfile
    jarfile="C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1" %*
    I got these results from the command line when I was dealing with 32 bit versions of java and downloaded WEBOSQI through a 32 bit version of Firefox but I don't in the 64 bit land -
  8.    #248  
    Quote Originally Posted by EOConcepts View Post
    Okay i did everything you said. Rebooted, reinstalled, still no connection. bummer.
    Are you using the USB cable that came with your phone?

Have you tried all the USB ports on your computer?

Can you "see" your phone in USB mode as a drive letter on your PC?
    I'm trying to use webOSQuickInstaller behind proxy and it fails to download the packages.
    I'm using version 3.14.
    Proxy is configured via "autoconfig URL"
  10.    #250  
    Quote Originally Posted by ionial View Post
    I'm trying to use webOSQuickInstaller behind proxy and it fails to download the packages.
    I'm using version 3.14.
    Proxy is configured via "autoconfig URL"
    Sorry, I have no way to test for this. Others have reported problems when attempting to use the software from a pc located at their business offices.
    no way for Proxy internet!
    IE can access internet but WebOS Quick Install can not.
    Do any of the Homebrew Apps, Patches, or Tweaks work with the Pre2 WebOS 2.0?.

I have tried everything suggested in the trouble shooting guide and other places on the forums. I have Vista Enterprise with SP2. Have downloaded v3.14 of the Quick Install. Have run Services.msc and the Palm Novacom driver has started. The pre2 is in DevMode. The Pre2 is hooked up with a good usb cable and is "just charging". I can put it in USB mode and transfer music and pictures back and forth from computer to Pre2. I have tried all 3 USB ports on the computer. Have rebooted and reset both the phone and PC multiple tomes but still cannot get the Quick Install to see the Pre2 - only get "ERROR: No device found".

Is this not supported on WebOS 2.0.1 yet?
    Thanks,
    Quote Originally Posted by garryholst View Post
    Do any of the Homebrew Apps, Patches, or Tweaks work with the Pre2 WebOS 2.0?.
    There is a list of compatible patches in the Pre 2 forum:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...y-preware.html
    Thanks for the list! My real problem though is that I still cannot get my pre2 connected. It keeps looking for the novacom driver.
    great job!!!! thanks a lot!!!!
    Fantastic guide!! I was having issues in Windows 7 so I just used my old XP laptop and everything is working correctly!!

Thanks so much!!
    how do i check to make sure 3.14 quick install works with my 1.4.5 sprint pre? I have followed your guide atep by step and i am still getting no device found.
  18.    #258  
    Quote Originally Posted by KingJamesIII View Post
    how do i check to make sure 3.14 quick install works with my 1.4.5 sprint pre? I have followed your guide atep by step and i am still getting no device found.
    Jason has released a new - totally rewritten version of WebOSQuickInstall - version 4.nnn. I recommend you try that. If still no luck reply here and I will try to help you further.
    Quote Originally Posted by MortiseMaker View Post
    I offer the attached documents (split up to accommodate the maximum size of forum message attachments) to assist (primarily) Windows users in getting WebOS Quick Install on their computers. There is a "Getting Started" document with instructions on how to use the program complete with a few examples. The "Appendix A" document contains instructions on how to download WebOS Doctor manually, a step that is normally completed during the installation and set up of WebOS Quick Install.

The documents consist of a large number of screen shots - both from the PC and the Pre. They assume the audience is new to all this stuff and does not get into computers to the level some of us on here have achieved.

Please try them and let me know where I have failed if you find the steps confusing or, make suggestions for improvements or additions. I will revise the documents from time to time in keeping with Jason's revision of the program.
    RE: Broken screen on old pre. I still have my old pre with the pictures on it,original sofware,1.1.Can you send me the fix on how to use webos without doctoring it so I don't lose the data? There is someone that works there willing to do it for me.I tried without success.Thank-you.
  20.    #260  
    Quote Originally Posted by tinabev View Post
    RE: Broken screen on old pre. I still have my old pre with the pictures on it,original sofware,1.1.Can you send me the fix on how to use webos without doctoring it so I don't lose the data? There is someone that works there willing to do it for me.I tried without success.Thank-you.
    I recommend you just use novacom to tar up the photos and move them to your PC. I previously discussed something similar, using WebOSQuickInstall's command line in message (79?). That feature has been removed but you can just use novacom in terminal mode to accomplish the same thing. Here is an example...

This first command just confirms the connection between your PC and the Pre. Your result should be similar but not an exact match.

C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc>novacom -l
    62229 c369f211f2b424a12c155766c312a11840d20063 usb castle-linux

Use novacom in terminal mode to issue commands to the Pre. That is set up with the following command.

C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc>novacom -t open tty://

Try listing the files available in the "photos" section of the Pre.

root@palm-webos-device:/# ls /media/internal/DCIM/100PALM
    CIMG0006.jpg CIMG0009.jpg CIMG0011.jpg
    CIMG0007.jpg CIMG0010.jpg CIMG0012.jpg

Assuming you see some listed - tar them all up with the following command.

root@palm-webos-device:/#tar -cvvf /media/internal/photos.tar /media/internal/DCIM/100PALM/
    tar: Removing leading `/'
    drwxr-xr-x root/root
    -rwxr-xr-x root/root 134
    G0006.jpg
    -rwxr-xr-x root/root 108
    G0007.jpg
    -rwxr-xr-x root/root 108
    G0009.jpg
    -rwxr-xr-x root/root 126
    G0010.jpg
    -rwxr-xr-x root/root 106
    G0011.jpg
    -rwxr-xr-x root/root 110
    G0012.jpg
    root@palm-webos-device:/# exit

Now, use the current version of WebOSQuickInstall, Tools->Receive File to move the photos.tar file from your Pre to your computer. The current version of WinZip will "untar" the files into the individual photo files at your PC.