Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Originally Posted by MortiseMaker
    Some software we add to our PCs take over certain file extensions .jar among them. You can change it back. You didn't mention which Windows operating system you are using. I am going to assume Vista or Windows 7. If I am right, click the Start button and then click "Default Programs" over in the right column of that interface. There will be several choices on the next screen. Select the one that says, "Associate a file type or protocol with a program". After a few seconds, you will see a list of all the possible file types on your computer. Scroll down the list until you find .jar. You will find that it is currently associated with WinRAR. Click the .jar file type, then click the "Change Program" button. A new screen will pop up with a few selections under "Recommended Programs". Select the one called Java(TM) Platform SE binary and then click OK. You should now find that when you double-click webosquickinstall.jar - the programs comes up and runs as expected.

Did this exactly. Vista by the way. The jars now have the java icon on them, but when i double click them or right click open, they open in what seems similar to command prompt; black bg and white text; this stays up for less time than i can even read anything then closes.

did all that command prompt says unable to access jarfile webosquickinstall.jar i am running windows 7 btw
    also have uninstall and reinstall java and webdoc and web quick install. gone thru the"troubleshooting"step ive been reading and rereading these forums for 2days now and restarting and re-downloading the same stuff and cant seem to find anything that helps and when i find a question pertaining to this problem ive done all the steps and everything else is working or at least it seems like it to me except for the stupid program starting and working!!! im going crossed-eyed and close to pulling my hair out by this point....im so frustrated and irritated i could just launch this laptop out the window
  3.    #203  
    Quote Originally Posted by acutejaimee View Post
    also have uninstall and reinstall java and webdoc and web quick install. gone thru the"troubleshooting"step ive been reading and rereading these forums for 2days now and restarting and re-downloading the same stuff and cant seem to find anything that helps and when i find a question pertaining to this problem ive done all the steps and everything else is working or at least it seems like it to me except for the stupid program starting and working!!! im going crossed-eyed and close to pulling my hair out by this point....im so frustrated and irritated i could just launch this laptop out the window
    Press the "Windows" key and the letter r at the same time, enter the command cmd in the "Open" textbox and click OK.

Type ftype jarfile in the command console window that appears.

Your result should be like the following:

C:\Users\Phil>ftype jarfile
    jarfile="C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1" %*

CD to the folder where you saved WebOSQuickInstall.jar and then issue the command:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -jar webosquickinstall.jar

Notice that I changed javaw.exe to java.exe.

That should cause WebOS Quick Install to run.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    I just went through the installation and added my first homebrew apps (music player remix and developer mode launcher). Everything went smoothly and the pdf tutorials were fabulous. However, I could not do either of the first two tweaks that the tutorial had me try. I have an ATT Pixi, so I don't know if it's an ATT problem or a Pixi problem. Any ideas?

Either way, thanks for the guides.
    tim
    I was going through to see what my problem was, and looked through the forum here but you don't describe what to do if when we check sc query novacomd and its NOT running.
    Mine is not running, what do I do??

Edit: http://tinypic.com/r/16a4b60/6
    Last edited by amberrkelley; 06/22/2010 at 01:25 AM. Reason: image not showing.
  6.    #206  
    Quote Originally Posted by amberrkelley View Post
    I was going through to see what my problem was, and looked through the forum here but you don't describe what to do if when we check sc query novacomd and its NOT running.
    Mine is not running, what do I do??

Edit: Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
    Issue the command:

sc start novacomd

then check the status after a few seconds. Hopefully, now the STATE will be RUNNING.
    hey I dont know if you are still answering questions but I downloaded Webos and I tried to get preware but it isn't on the list. And also I was able to download a theme but I tried to do it again and I keep getting an error unable to connect to url message, what gives? Please help, it'll be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
  8.    #208  
    Quote Originally Posted by SeussSeuss View Post
    hey I dont know if you are still answering questions but I downloaded Webos and I tried to get preware but it isn't on the list. And also I was able to download a theme but I tried to do it again and I keep getting an error unable to connect to url message, what gives? Please help, it'll be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
    Preware is definitely in the list - but you need to select the right repository. If you have a Pre, that would be the WebOS-Internals Feed (Pre).

Unable to connect will occur if you have not put your phone in Developer Mode or if you have selected an unacceptable USB port on your computer.
    So, I'm just starting to work on this stuff, and feel a bit like a fool asking. My Pre is brand new- and on At&t. I know that these phones haven't been there for long, and before I start tinkering, I want to make sure that these things won't make my phone go haywire.

Are the webOS quick install and homebrew stuff compatible with the OS for At&t?

Many thanks from a total newbie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ludovi View Post
    So, I'm just starting to work on this stuff, and feel a bit like a fool asking. My Pre is brand new- and on At&t. I know that these phones haven't been there for long, and before I start tinkering, I want to make sure that these things won't make my phone go haywire.

Are the webOS quick install and homebrew stuff compatible with the OS for At&t?

Many thanks from a total newbie!
    Yes they are fine on AT&T, and shouldn't make you phone go haywire, well mine never has
    I believe there was a thread for at&t newbies at some time, might still be around.
    Anyway I recommend you follow the instructions in this thread:
    forums.precentral.net/canuck-software/228310-webos-quick-install-v3-14-a.html?highlight=v3.14
    for wosqi instructions
    and
    install.preware.org
    for the correct Preware instructions.

Not sure if you can see links yet so put the links as coloured text.

Pip
    Quote Originally Posted by MortiseMaker View Post
    Press the "Windows" key and the letter r at the same time, enter the command cmd in the "Open" textbox and click OK.

Type ftype jarfile in the command console window that appears.

Your result should be like the following:

C:\Users\Phil>ftype jarfile
    jarfile="C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1" %*

CD to the folder where you saved WebOSQuickInstall.jar and then issue the command:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -jar webosquickinstall.jar

Notice that I changed javaw.exe to java.exe.

That should cause WebOS Quick Install to run.
    Im having this same problem, but im very new to all of this..I follow the first step to above. But what does "CD to the folder" mean? I dont know what to do next? Please help
  12.    #212  
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmpreme77 View Post
    Im having this same problem, but im very new to all of this..I follow the first step to above. But what does "CD to the folder" mean? I dont know what to do next? Please help
    CD is the command for "change directory". Files on a PC are kept in a place commonly referred to as a "folder" or "directory". You can get more information on the CD command by typing help cd in the command console window. The goal of the command in this case is to get the current working directory changed to the location where you saved the downloaded file.

When you downloaded WebOSQuickInstall.jar, that file went into some folder or directory on your PC. You need to be "in" that folder or directory before you issue the command following CD in my instructions you quoted in your message.

Let's say you created a folder called "Pre" on your C: drive and downloaded the .jar file there. The command would be:

cd \Pre

Now, your current working directory is C:\Pre. You can prove this by issuing the CD command without an argument...

cd

The result would be...

C:\Pre

Now, you are ready to issue the next command.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I have followed everything up to page 17 of your webos quick installation pdf. But when I type sc query novacomd I get this error. Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
    When I click File -> Options to reinstall Novacom nothing happens. Where am I going wrong? I searched this thread sufficiently but didn't find anything so am posting here.
  14.    #214  
    Quote Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
    I have followed everything up to page 17 of your webos quick installation pdf. But when I type sc query novacomd I get this error. Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
    When I click File -> Options to reinstall Novacom nothing happens. Where am I going wrong? I searched this thread sufficiently but didn't find anything so am posting here.
    That would seem to indicate that novacomd is not installed on your computer. You can check that by using Control Panel to start "Add Remove Programs" and go down the list, looking for novacomd. If you DO see it listed, try cold rebooting your computer - meaning, completely shut it down and then start it back up again. Once you have done that, run the test above to see if novacomd is now running. If not, I recommend that you use "Add Remove Programs" to manually remove novacomd and then reinstall it from WebOS Quick Installs File->Options and clicking on the button marked, "Attempt Novacom (re)installation". Please note that nothing appears to happen immediately - you need to wait a few minutes, depending on the capability of your computer. After a minute or so, you should see the little windows pop up indicating that novacomd is being installed.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MortiseMaker View Post
    That would seem to indicate that novacomd is not installed on your computer. You can check that by using Control Panel to start "Add Remove Programs" and go down the list, looking for novacomd. If you DO see it listed, try cold rebooting your computer - meaning, completely shut it down and then start it back up again. Once you have done that, run the test above to see if novacomd is now running. If not, I recommend that you use "Add Remove Programs" to manually remove novacomd and then reinstall it from WebOS Quick Installs File->Options and clicking on the button marked, "Attempt Novacom (re)installation". Please note that nothing appears to happen immediately - you need to wait a few minutes, depending on the capability of your computer. After a minute or so, you should see the little windows pop up indicating that novacomd is being installed.
    In "Add / Remove Programs" I couldn't find novacomd. So I again double clicked on webosquickinstall.jar and clicked Install. Waited for 5 minutes. Nothing happened. I clicked File -> Options. Waited for 5 minutes. Nothing is displayed. My Java version is 1.6.0_21-b07. I still do not know where I am going wrong.
    dude.. ive read how tu use WebOS...
    so i downloaded a new theme.. dha themer thingy isnt finding my
    theme i downloaded wut did i do wrong?
    Hello, Thank you so much for your help on this. I followed all of your directions and have verified that everything is installed and working properly on my computer and that my phone is in developer mode, as instucted. However, when I am in the WebOS Quick Install program and go to click on any box in the tweaks menu it says "unable to connect to patch feed". Also, it allows me to download apps both ways but it never completes. It will show up in the white box in the WebOS Quick Install, but when I hit the 'install' button, the apps disappear as if they've been installed and never show up on my phone. I've attemped to restart both my phone and my computer and it hasn't resolved the problem. I am very new at this. I just got my phone two days ago. I have a Palm Pixi from through Sprint and using Windows 7. Can you offer any assistance?
    Last edited by minor.brandi; 09/26/2010 at 01:44 PM. Reason: clarification
    you are so kind,thank you very much
    I just read it all and tried before but even if I had gotten passed the linux comandline part which I didn't because it froze,at the end I wouldn't be able to select because screen is broken as been my problem all along,just want pictures off the phone.
  20.    #220  
    Quote Originally Posted by tinabev View Post
    I just read it all and tried before but even if I had gotten passed the linux comandline part which I didn't because it froze,at the end I wouldn't be able to select because screen is broken as been my problem all along,just want pictures off the phone.
    I am not certain what state your bad Pre may be in, Tina. It appears that you cannot get access to the phone via linux either. I do want to say that you would NOT be using the screen during the linux operation. Once you connected the Pre to your PC, all remaining work would be done from your PC - no use of the Pre's screen would be involved.

Just keep trying to see if you can get any response from the phone using the linux command line. Type the letters ls (That's LS - but all lower-case characters) and then press the "Enter" key on your PC's keyboard. You should get a list of directories. Try this with your working Pre so you know what to expect. That will help you decide if the Pre with the bad screen is actually capable of "talking" to your PC.

If that does not work, I have no idea how one would proceed from here. I guess you could try installing the latest WebOSDoctor - but that procedure may not work either, since you still have to connect the phone to the PC.