Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #1  
    I was adding patch creation to the upcoming v2.0 WebOS Theme Builder, when I figured it wouldn't be too much trouble to duplicate most of that section of code and make a quick gui to create unified format patches.

Hopefully someone will get some use of this. Personally I find it easier than commandline, but that's just my personal opinion, heh. Also attached is the source, along with its GPL license.

Clicking the "Original File" and "Altered File" text fields will bring up a handy file chooser.

Changelog
    v1.3 - October 30, 09
    - Fixed an issue that in rare circumstances would cause the .patch to fail

v1.2 - October 26, 09
    - Fixed another issue with patches being created from files with no trailing newline character
    - Added reset button
    - Added file drag and drop support
    - Added support for optional patch meta data for patch name, version, author, etc.

v1.1 - October 22, 09
    - Fixed issue with creating patches of files not ending with new lines

v1.0 - October 21, 09
    - Initial release
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 10/30/2009 at 06:51 PM.
    Pretty cool. Too bad it doesn't support when multiple files are changed, so that I could create .patch files for some of the manual stuff I did, but thanks for this anyway, it should be helpful.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Like it how it is, but if only it could package it up in the .ipkg format for preware too. I can install OTA at work, but can't install via WOSQI at work and believe it or not, sometimes i have more spare time at work than at home. Darn kids...
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Pretty cool. Too bad it doesn't support when multiple files are changed, so that I could create .patch files for some of the manual stuff I did, but thanks for this anyway, it should be helpful.
    yeah, multiple files would be good... but figured I'd just make multiple patch files and add them together... if that works...
    Call Rejecter Patch
    Make your messanger look like the iphone's
    SMS tone per Contact
    No Alert During call

Thanks are always appreciated or for a really big Thanks you can always:
    (it can go a long way to convince my fiancee that this is worth my time)

Please feel free to PM for more direct assistance.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by elryon View Post
    yeah, multiple files would be good... but figured I'd just make multiple patch files and add them together... if that works...
    yep, that'd work, but add each consecutive patch on the trailing empty line of the previous. As long as the only "" empty line is at the ends of the file, multiple patches should work
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    yep, that'd work, but add each consecutive patch on the trailing empty line of the previous. As long as the only "" empty line is at the ends of the file, multiple patches should work
    Empty lines don't matter, patch will ignore the extra junk (even blocks of comment text before diff - line should be ignored correctly).

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by emoney_33 View Post
    Empty lines don't matter, patch will ignore the extra junk (even blocks of comment text before diff - line should be ignored correctly).
    *queues The More You Know music*
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    grrrrr..... I keep getting hunk failed for every change.... arrrgh!!! I dont know what's wrong...
    Call Rejecter Patch
    SMS tone per Contact
    No Alert During call

9.    #9  
    New version out, hopefully I'm not the only one using this app, lol

v1.2 - October 26, 09
    - Fixed another issue with patches being created from files with no trailing newline character
    - Added reset button
    - Added support for optional patch meta data for patch name, version, author, etc.
    I made a .patch with this utility (thank you, btw) but the change I am trying to make also requires an image change. How do I package the .patch and the image together as an .ipk?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by PrestonJames View Post
    I made a .patch with this utility (thank you, btw) but the change I am trying to make also requires an image change. How do I package the .patch and the image together as an .ipk?
    Extra file including and packing as ipk would be part of WebOS-Internals autopatch system
    GreenHex likes this.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    New version out, hopefully I'm not the only one using this app, lol

v1.2 - October 26, 09
    - Added reset button
    I've used it to make both my patches... hope the new version is even better...
    Call Rejecter Patch
    SMS tone per Contact
    No Alert During call

Can't wait for a new version
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogg006 View Post
    Can't wait for a new version
    What new version? current version not working for ya?
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Hey Jason, the swap menu in active call patch worked great http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...-hangup-2.html , but once you doctor your pre two files activecall.css and menus.css are gone. I can get them out of the emulator and apply the patch and the patch works great again.

My question after all the extra information is how do you create a patch to create a file that doesn't exist? The only way to apply the patch is to create the two files and apply the change.
    I have a question about creating a patch using this tool. I already have a few patches applied to email.jsjsjs $and$ $composeAssistant$.$js$. $I$ $was$ $browsing$ $today$ $and$ $saw$ $a$ $post$ $about$ $how$ $to$ $address$ $the$ $reply$ $font$ $being$ $too$ $large$ $and$ $I$ $created$ $a$ $patch$, $well$ $2$ $of$ $them$, $for$ $the$ $2$ $files$ $above$. $I$ $got$ $it$ $to$ $work$ $by$ $comparing$ $the$ $new$ $files$ $that$ $I$ $got$ $from$ $the$ $thread$, $and$ $diff$'$d$ $them$ $to$ $the$ $already$ $patched$ $files$ $from$ $my$ $pre$. $What$ $process$ $should$ $I$ $follow$ $to$ $get$ $it$ $to$ $work$ $with$ $an$ $original$ $file$ $as$ $well$ $as$ $files$ $that$ $are$ $already$ $patched$?
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Hey Jason, the swap menu in active call patch worked great http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...-hangup-2.html , but once you doctor your pre two files activecall.css and menus.css are gone. I can get them out of the emulator and apply the patch and the patch works great again.

My question after all the extra information is how do you create a patch to create a file that doesn't exist? The only way to apply the patch is to create the two files and apply the change.
    Well, you can create files that don't exist by alteing the patch header. For example:
    Code:
    --- /dev/null
    +++ /usr/palm/new-file.jsjsjs
    The "/dev/null" basically tells GNU patch it's a new file. That said, looking into the 1.3.1 rom, both activecall.css and menus.css still exist.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_pre View Post
    I have a question about creating a patch using this tool. I already have a few patches applied to email.jsjsjs $and$ $composeAssistant$.$js$. $I$ $was$ $browsing$ $today$ $and$ $saw$ $a$ $post$ $about$ $how$ $to$ $address$ $the$ $reply$ $font$ $being$ $too$ $large$ $and$ $I$ $created$ $a$ $patch$, $well$ $2$ $of$ $them$, $for$ $the$ $2$ $files$ $above$. $I$ $got$ $it$ $to$ $work$ $by$ $comparing$ $the$ $new$ $files$ $that$ $I$ $got$ $from$ $the$ $thread$, $and$ $diff$'$d$ $them$ $to$ $the$ $already$ $patched$ $files$ $from$ $my$ $pre$. $What$ $process$ $should$ $I$ $follow$ $to$ $get$ $it$ $to$ $work$ $with$ $an$ $original$ $file$ $as$ $well$ $as$ $files$ $that$ $are$ $already$ $patched$?
    It's always best to start from the base unaltered files (extracting the webos rom from the webosdoctor is always handy for this) and build patches from there.

As long as the file you use as the "original" is the unaltered original, and your multiple patches don't edit the exact same lines, then GNU patch should be able to automatically adjust for muliple patches on the same file.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

Ok, thanks for the pointers...I will try that and see how well it gets along with the other patches I have installed....
    OK, I have 2 patches I created, 1 for each file, and they work great individually, now I want them to put them together. I am having troubles with this....My combination patch looks like this where the 2 meet...

Email.kSubjectPrefixRe = $L("Re: ");
    Email.kSubjectPrefixFw = $L("Fw: ");
    --- .orig/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controllers/compose-assistant.jsjsjs
    +++ /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controllers/compose-assistant.jsjsjs
    @@ -712,7 +712,8 @@
    var editor = controller.get('msg_rte');

Where the Email.kSubjectPrefixFw = $L("Fw: "); line is the last line in the first patch file and var editor = controller.get('msg_rte'); is the first line in the second patch. I have tried many different combinations and keep getting hunk failures no matter how I join the 2 files.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_pre View Post
    OK, I have 2 patches I created, 1 for each file, and they work great individually, now I want them to put them together. I am having troubles with this....My combination patch looks like this where the 2 meet...

Email.kSubjectPrefixRe = $L("Re: ");
    Email.kSubjectPrefixFw = $L("Fw: ");
    --- .orig/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controllers/compose-assistant.jsjsjs
    +++ /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controllers/compose-assistant.jsjsjs
    @@ -712,7 +712,8 @@
    var editor = controller.get('msg_rte');

Where the Email.kSubjectPrefixFw = $L("Fw: "); line is the last line in the first patch file and var editor = controller.get('msg_rte'); is the first line in the second patch. I have tried many different combinations and keep getting hunk failures no matter how I join the 2 files.
    can you email me the patches for me to take a quick look (one after the other should work)? support [at] canuck-software [dot] ca

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast