Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Often times on these forum, you may notice patches posted in .patch format. Most people are used to seeing patches as ipk files, though in reality, those ipks are actually containing .patch files inside.

Since the WebOSQuickInstall v2.7 update, it's patching system was changed to be fully compatible with the WebOS-Internals format. I added a neat feature of being able to install basic .patch files under that format.

So I figured it'd help people if I gave a quick tutorial

1. First off, download the patch file.
      Currently the forums don't support .patch uploads, so most times you'll see the .patch inside a zip.
    2. Click the "+" button in WOSQI
    3. Browse to, and select, the .patch file you've downloaded.
    4. Hit the "Install" button and you're done!

(Alternatively, you could just drag and drop the .patch file onto the WOSQI window)

The patch will be completely WebOS-Internals format compatible. This means you will be able to remove it like any other patch: via Tools->Device Management (switch dropdown box to "Patches") or in Preware under the "Patches" section.
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 02/27/2010 at 12:48 PM.
    naptime likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    The patch will be completely WebOS-Internals format compatible. This means you will be able to remove it like any other patch: via Tools->Device Management (switch dropdown box to "Patches") or in Preware.
    Jason -- I just installed the "Improved Camera Filename" patch we have been discussing in a separate thread and noticed that in Preware, this shows up under "Install Packages" under "Unknown" and not "Patches". Is that how this is supposed to be shown, or should it show up under "patches"?

thanks again for all your hard work!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    Jason -- I just installed the "Improved Camera Filename" patch we have been discussing in a separate thread and noticed that in Preware, this shows up under "Install Packages" under "Unknown" and not "Patches". Is that how this is supposed to be shown, or should it show up under "patches"?
    Remember that file access issue you mentioned in the other thread, that'd be a side effect. For the average user, it'll install error-free, appearing as a patch
    Remember that file access issue you mentioned in the other thread, that'd be a side effect. For the average user, it'll install error-free, appearing as a patch
    D'oh!!! oh well.. any idea why that error would happen?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    D'oh!!! oh well.. any idea why that error would happen?
    At first guess, a file read access error in your "temporary files" folder. I could definitely be wrong though.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    How bout something that creates a .patch file? The one I made with quilt doesn't want to work right for some reason...
    Call Rejecter Patch
    Make your messanger look like the iphone's
    SMS tone per Contact
    No Alert During call

Thanks are always appreciated or for a really big Thanks you can always:
    (it can go a long way to convince my fiancee that this is worth my time)

Please feel free to PM for more direct assistance.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by elryon View Post
    How bout something that creates a .patch file? The one I made with quilt doesn't want to work right for some reason...
    You can do that easily in commandline with diff:
    Code:
    eg./  diff -u original.jsjsjs $revised$.$js$ &$gt$; $output$.$patch$
    It you want a real quick java-based cross-platform GUI, I can make that if you want
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    if that's all I need than I can do that... will try when I get home from work.. thanks
    Call Rejecter Patch
    Make your messanger look like the iphone's
    SMS tone per Contact
    No Alert During call

Thanks are always appreciated or for a really big Thanks you can always:
    (it can go a long way to convince my fiancee that this is worth my time)

Please feel free to PM for more direct assistance.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by elryon View Post
    if that's all I need than I can do that... will try when I get home from work.. thanks
    Alternatively I've also just released UnifiedDiffCreator: http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...f-creator.html
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    how would I go about getting the latest version of quickinstall?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by deltasig View Post
    how would I go about getting the latest version of quickinstall?
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...-7-beyond.html
    You can do that easily in commandline with diff:
    Code:
    eg./  diff -u original.jsjsjs $revised$.$js$ &$gt$; $output$.$patch$
    It you want a real quick java-based cross-platform GUI, I can make that if you want
    As an aternative, check out this link:

The Ten Minute Guide to diff and patch

It explains towards the bottom how to use diff to make a patch on a whole directory! Makes it ALOT easier when multiple files are edited
    jason -- found the reason for the error... I deleted the contents of my Temp directory (something I haven't done in over 2 years, and it was over 15 gig!!!), uninstalled the patches, and then reinstalled 2 patches (the filename patch and the unthrottle download manager patch). The patches were able to download and install without any errors, but the patches still show up as "other" and not "patches" in Preware.
    Well, I downloaded the patch and follow the instructions as stated above using WOSQI, but it does not let me select or drag and drop the patch into the WOSQI window.

I am able of installing other "Homebrew" apps, OK, but does not seem to like the ".patch" file.

Any suggestions?

Fedman
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by FAtristain View Post
    Well, I downloaded the patch and follow the instructions as stated above using WOSQI, but it does not let me select or drag and drop the patch into the WOSQI window.

I am able of installing other "Homebrew" apps, OK, but does not seem to like the ".patch" file.

Any suggestions?

Fedman
    What version of WebOS Quick Install does it say in the About screen?
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    What version of WebOS Quick Install does it say in the About screen?
    Version 2.6....
  17.    #17  
    Version 2.6....
    May wanna upgrade to the the current version. 2.6 didn't support .patch installation

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

May wanna upgrade to the the current version. 2.6 didn't support .patch installation
    Any suggestions as to where to get the latest one?

Thanks in advance for your input

And for sure certain YOUR PATIENCE!!! :-)
  19.    #19  
    Any suggestions as to where to get the latest one?

Thanks in advance for your input

And for sure certain YOUR PATIENCE!!! :-)
    The WebOS Quick Install thread, post 1

The WebOS Quick Install thread, post 1
    Got it. Installed and running. I also installed the YouTube patch.

Thanks.

One minor item, in the WOSQI --> Tools --> Tweaks --> Online Repository

I get an error stating "Error Reading Package List" with an OK button.

Pressing the OK button brings the list of patches.

Any suggestions, or just not to worry about it....

Regards,
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast