webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developer Forums >  Canuck Coding > How To: Install .patch files with WOSQI
How To: Install .patch files with WOSQI
  Reply
Like Tree1Likes

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10/21/2009, 12:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Legend
 
Jason Robitaille's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,852
Often times on these forum, you may notice patches posted in .patch format. Most people are used to seeing patches as ipk files, though in reality, those ipks are actually containing .patch files inside.

Since the WebOSQuickInstall v2.7 update, it's patching system was changed to be fully compatible with the WebOS-Internals format. I added a neat feature of being able to install basic .patch files under that format.

So I figured it'd help people if I gave a quick tutorial
  1. First off, download the patch file.
    Currently the forums don't support .patch uploads, so most times you'll see the .patch inside a zip.
  2. Click the "+" button in WOSQI
  3. Browse to, and select, the .patch file you've downloaded.
  4. Hit the "Install" button and you're done!

(Alternatively, you could just drag and drop the .patch file onto the WOSQI window)


The patch will be completely WebOS-Internals format compatible. This means you will be able to remove it like any other patch: via Tools->Device Management (switch dropdown box to "Patches") or in Preware under the "Patches" section.

Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 02/27/2010 at 11:48 AM.
Jason Robitaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by naptime likes this.
Old 10/21/2009, 12:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Audemars02's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
The patch will be completely WebOS-Internals format compatible. This means you will be able to remove it like any other patch: via Tools->Device Management (switch dropdown box to "Patches") or in Preware.
Jason -- I just installed the "Improved Camera Filename" patch we have been discussing in a separate thread and noticed that in Preware, this shows up under "Install Packages" under "Unknown" and not "Patches". Is that how this is supposed to be shown, or should it show up under "patches"?

thanks again for all your hard work!
Audemars02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2009, 01:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Legend
 
Jason Robitaille's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
Jason -- I just installed the "Improved Camera Filename" patch we have been discussing in a separate thread and noticed that in Preware, this shows up under "Install Packages" under "Unknown" and not "Patches". Is that how this is supposed to be shown, or should it show up under "patches"?
Remember that file access issue you mentioned in the other thread, that'd be a side effect. For the average user, it'll install error-free, appearing as a patch
Jason Robitaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2009, 01:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Audemars02's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
Remember that file access issue you mentioned in the other thread, that'd be a side effect. For the average user, it'll install error-free, appearing as a patch
D'oh!!! oh well.. any idea why that error would happen?
Audemars02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2009, 01:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Legend
 
Jason Robitaille's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
D'oh!!! oh well.. any idea why that error would happen?
At first guess, a file read access error in your "temporary files" folder. I could definitely be wrong though.
Jason Robitaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2009, 01:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
elryon's Avatar
 
Posts: 715
How bout something that creates a .patch file? The one I made with quilt doesn't want to work right for some reason...
__________________
Avatar on Left Patch
Call Rejecter Patch
Make your messanger look like the iphone's
SMS tone per Contact
No Alert During call

Thanks are always appreciated or for a really big Thanks you can always:
(it can go a long way to convince my fiancee that this is worth my time)

Please feel free to PM for more direct assistance.
elryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2009, 01:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Legend
 
Jason Robitaille's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by elryon View Post
How bout something that creates a .patch file? The one I made with quilt doesn't want to work right for some reason...
You can do that easily in commandline with diff:
Code:
eg./  diff -u original.js revised.js > output.patch
It you want a real quick java-based cross-platform GUI, I can make that if you want
Jason Robitaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by elryon, Jeffmcc
Old 10/21/2009, 01:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
elryon's Avatar
 
Posts: 715
if that's all I need than I can do that... will try when I get home from work.. thanks
__________________
Avatar on Left Patch
Call Rejecter Patch
Make your messanger look like the iphone's
SMS tone per Contact
No Alert During call

Thanks are always appreciated or for a really big Thanks you can always:
(it can go a long way to convince my fiancee that this is worth my time)

Please feel free to PM for more direct assistance.
elryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2009, 02:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Legend
 
Jason Robitaille's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by elryon View Post
if that's all I need than I can do that... will try when I get home from work.. thanks
Alternatively I've also just released UnifiedDiffCreator: http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...f-creator.html
Jason Robitaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: elryon
Old 10/21/2009, 02:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
deltasig's Avatar
 
Posts: 5
how would I go about getting the latest version of quickinstall?
deltasig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2009, 02:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Legend
 
Jason Robitaille's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasig View Post
how would I go about getting the latest version of quickinstall?
http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...-7-beyond.html
Jason Robitaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/22/2009, 02:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
You can do that easily in commandline with diff:
Code:
eg./  diff -u original.js revised.js > output.patch
It you want a real quick java-based cross-platform GUI, I can make that if you want
As an aternative, check out this link:

The Ten Minute Guide to diff and patch

It explains towards the bottom how to use diff to make a patch on a whole directory! Makes it ALOT easier when multiple files are edited
daventx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/22/2009, 03:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Audemars02's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
Remember that file access issue you mentioned in the other thread, that'd be a side effect. For the average user, it'll install error-free, appearing as a patch
jason -- found the reason for the error... I deleted the contents of my Temp directory (something I haven't done in over 2 years, and it was over 15 gig!!!), uninstalled the patches, and then reinstalled 2 patches (the filename patch and the unthrottle download manager patch). The patches were able to download and install without any errors, but the patches still show up as "other" and not "patches" in Preware.
Audemars02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Jason Robitaille
Old 11/30/2009, 01:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 18
Well, I downloaded the patch and follow the instructions as stated above using WOSQI, but it does not let me select or drag and drop the patch into the WOSQI window.

I am able of installing other "Homebrew" apps, OK, but does not seem to like the ".patch" file.

Any suggestions?

Fedman
FAtristain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2009, 03:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Legend
 
Jason Robitaille's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAtristain View Post
Well, I downloaded the patch and follow the instructions as stated above using WOSQI, but it does not let me select or drag and drop the patch into the WOSQI window.

I am able of installing other "Homebrew" apps, OK, but does not seem to like the ".patch" file.

Any suggestions?

Fedman
What version of WebOS Quick Install does it say in the About screen?
__________________
If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
Jason Robitaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/2009, 02:49 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
What version of WebOS Quick Install does it say in the About screen?
Version 2.6....
FAtristain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/2009, 03:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
Legend
 
Jason Robitaille's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAtristain View Post
Version 2.6....
May wanna upgrade to the the current version. 2.6 didn't support .patch installation
__________________
If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
Jason Robitaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/2009, 04:07 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
May wanna upgrade to the the current version. 2.6 didn't support .patch installation
Any suggestions as to where to get the latest one?

Thanks in advance for your input

And for sure certain YOUR PATIENCE!!! :-)
FAtristain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/2009, 04:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
Legend
 
Jason Robitaille's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAtristain View Post
Any suggestions as to where to get the latest one?

Thanks in advance for your input

And for sure certain YOUR PATIENCE!!! :-)
The WebOS Quick Install thread, post 1
__________________
If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
Jason Robitaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: FAtristain
Old 12/02/2009, 04:58 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
The WebOS Quick Install thread, post 1
Got it. Installed and running. I also installed the YouTube patch.

Thanks.

One minor item, in the WOSQI --> Tools --> Tweaks --> Online Repository

I get an error stating "Error Reading Package List" with an OK button.

Pressing the OK button brings the list of patches.

Any suggestions, or just not to worry about it....

Regards,
FAtristain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0