Page 57 of 165 FirstFirst ... 747525354555657585960616267107157 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 3299
Like Tree11Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpmypre View Post
    And, of course, I suggest you have them install PreLoad. It does everything Preware does but has ringtones, wallpapers, sounds and a real time messageboard too.
    Way to one-up-manship both WebOS Quick Install (written by Jason) and Preware (written by the WebOS Internals team, not by Jason) with PreLoad (written by the WebOS Group, but uses the Package Manager Service written by the WebOS Internals team, not by Jason or the WebOS Group, to be able to install advanced homebrew apps, themes and patches) in a WebOS Quick Install thread

It's a good thing us open source guys are not concerned about popularity

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 10/07/2009 at 01:32 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Way to one-up-manship both WebOS Quick Install (written by Jason) and Preware (written by the WebOS Internals team, not by Jason) with PreLoad (written by the WebOS Group, but uses the Package Manager Service written by the WebOS Internals team, not by Jason or the WebOS Group, to be able to install advanced homebrew apps, themes and patches) in a WebOS Quick Install thread

-- Rod
    So, promoting PreLoad (which committed early on with you before you ever came out with preware to be open source and adhere to the open interoperatability of the ipkg format) is a popularity contest?

Sorry if that ****es you off - but people do have options.
    WOG Dev - WebOS Group http://www.WebOSGroup.com
    PMP Dev - http://www.PimpMyPre.com
    Apps: WOG O.S.K., WOG Card Keeper, WOG Glowstick, WOG Kid Protect, PreLoad, PimpMySounds
    So, promoting PreLoad (which committed early on with you before you ever came out with preware to be open source and adhere to the open interoperatability of the ipkg format) is a popularity contest?

Sorry if that ****es you off - but people do have options.
    Hey man, did you miss the smileys? I think it's great that both PreLoad and WebOS Quick Install are reusing the work that WebOS Internals has done - that's why we open source things in the first place.

I want to see all three of Preware, PreLoad and WebOS Quick Install succeed - my focus is on the open and interoperable packages, themes and patches, not the tool that someone happens to choose today to use to install them.

Of course I think Preware is the best of the four installers, but that's not the point ;-)

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 10/07/2009 at 01:34 AM.
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Hey man, did you miss the smileys? I think it's great that PreLoad is reusing the work that WebOS Internals has done - that's why we open source things in the first place.

-- Rod
    Ya, I missed them - sorry. Always seems to be tone missed when talking to you, or I mean most people, via text.Just doesn't convey well I guess.

I also think it's a great *option* to have, in addition to the normal Palm installation we support. It's all about options and choice.
    Apps: WOG O.S.K., WOG Card Keeper, WOG Glowstick, WOG Kid Protect, PreLoad, PimpMySounds

-- Rod
    And this still sounds condescending, no matter how many simley's you put in it Rod.

We committed to an open source operation, and an interoperable package management system, when we had an OTA installer and preware was still not completed. We told you to go ahead and have a look at our code and use whatever would help. Privately you have condescendingyl joked the package name of our app too.

We used to have a long dialog with you and Dieter, but that has since drizzled since preware was released ad the dialog seems to occur after the fact.

If you want us to create our own package manager (smiley) we can do that (smiley). I just think it's ok, as well as you do (smiley) to promote our own app and tell people why (smiley).

I would also ask that any future changes be as open and discussed before hand, as they used to be.
    Guess I don't have the hang of those smiley things yet.
    We committed to an open source operation, and an interoperable package management system, when we had an OTA installer and preware was still not completed. We told you to go ahead and have a look at our code and use whatever would help. Privately you have condescendingyl joked the package name of our app too.
    Yep, the WebOS Group (formerly known as PimpMyPre) has been open source from the start, and I have applauded you for that. I have always said to you that the PimpMyPre name would be a barrier to wider adoption of PreLoad, and it seems from your group's name change that you agreed. I don't get the condescending part of it - it was simply my opinion on how I saw people might react to that old name.

We used to have a long dialog with you and Dieter, but that has since drizzled since preware was released ad the dialog seems to occur after the fact.
    On the contrary, we have been careful to maintain full backwards compatibility of the Package Manager Service, specifically so that other groups can continue to use it. My apologies if we've missed something.

We also created a wiki page to be used for packaging standards at Packaging Standards - WebOS Internals, and hoped that you would participate there.

If you want us to create our own package manager (smiley) we can do that (smiley). I just think it's ok, as well as you do (smiley) to promote our own app and tell people why (smiley).
    On the contrary, I'd love for the WebOS Group open source developers to get more involved in the #webos-internals IRC channel and the development of the existing package manager service. We could do with help in the rewriting of it from being a Java service to being an even faster C-based service, and we're trying to work out how to make it timeout on unavailable feeds and also give better progress feedback to the user during installations by using subscriptions.

I love the fact that you guys promote PreLoad. It's a great app with some features that neither WebOS Quick Install or Preware has. I personally don't like the colour scheme, but that's just my personal opinion

I love the fact that WebOS Quick Install supports the advanced package format that the WebOS Internals team designed for applications, themes and patches.

I love the fact that WebOS Quick Install uses the package feeds that the WebOS Internals team maintains on the preware.org servers.

As a community of developers, we need to help each other an be interoperable, rather than getting upset about how many users are using which front-end tool. That's why my post had smileys in it.

I would also ask that any future changes be as open and discussed before hand, as they used to be.
    That's definitely my intent. How can we make it happen better? At the moment most of the development discussion happens in the IRC channel ...

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 10/07/2009 at 02:19 AM.
    Privately you have condescendingyl joked the package name of our app too.
    Oh, I get what you mean here now. I said to you in private "You guys are a bit presumptuous using the name com.palm.repomanager for PreLoad".

I stick by that - any organisation who is not Palm, and uses the com.palm namespace, and then calls the app com.palm.repomanager (as if it's Palm repository manager) is being presumptuous.

I would have thought you would call the app com.webosgroup.preload (or comp.palm.webosgroup.preload if you needed to use the private bus) ...

-- Rod
    Yep, the WebOS Group (formerly known as PimpMyPre) has been open source from the start, and I have applauded you for that. I have always said to you that the PimpMyPre name would be a barrier to wider adoption of PreLoad, and it seems from your group's name change that you agreed. I don't get the condescending part of it - it was simply my opinion on how I saw people might react to that old name.
    This is in response to your remark to Matt about repomanager - and that name was from our intent to manage our repo. I could care less about what people think about pimp my pre. We just felt that the application side should sound more professional because we have apps we are building for the app catalog. But, again, I have no reason to justify our reason either way.

The condescending remark was in how you took my repl to telling someone I think they might try PreLoad and making it like I put down preware and QI by doing it in this thread. We committed to the system you made before it was ever made, yet now we're supposedly leeching off of it for popularity?

On the contrary, we have been careful to maintain full backwards compatibility of the Package Manager Service, specifically so that other groups can continue to use it. My apologies if we've missed something.

We also created a wiki page to be used for packaging standards at Packaging Standards - WebOS Internals, and hoped that you would participate there.

On the contrary, I'd love for the WebOS Group open source developers to get more involved in the #webos-internals IRC channel and the development of the existing package manager service. We could do with help in the rewriting of it from being a Java service to being an even faster C-based service.

I love the fact that you guys promote PreLoad. It's a great app with some features that neither WebOS Quick Install or Preware has. I personally don't like the colour scheme, but that's just my personal opinion ;-)

That's definitely my intent. How can we make it happen better? At the moment most of the development discussion happens in the IRC channel ...

-- Rod
    What happened to the good old days of the few of us actually emailing each other (before preware was released)? Do we all have to go to an irc to talk about this? Would/should I ask you and Deiter to come to the PreLoad message board for discussion?

How about a heads up before new stuff is added?
    I'm sure an email wouldn't be too difficult until there are more than 4 installers.
    Oh, I get what you mean here now. I said to you in private "You guys are a bit presumptuous using the name com.palm.repomanager for PreLoad".

I stick by that - any organisation who is not Palm, and uses the com.palm namespace, and then calls the app com.palm.repomanager (as if it's Palm repository manager) is being presumptuous.

I would have thought you would call the app com.webosgroup.preload (or comp.palm.webosgroup.preload if you needed to use the private bus) ...

-- Rod
    If your app isn't com.palm - you couldn't use the palm installation functions.

Maybe that's changed.
    Remember - we were installing apps before preware was ever released.
    We found that was the way to do it.

-- Rod
    LMAO - "not concerned about popularity" yet you name dropped and never said a thing to help the OP.

I tried to help them with their problem about why the install maybe did not work and all you have done is turn this into a preware.preload.qi whatever conversation. Sorry I mentioned that they *might* try PreLoad.

Too funny.

Good night (or afternoon in your case).
    I'll stick to the PreLoad thread and try to not offend preware again.
    Too early in the AM here - I need sleep.
    The condescending remark was in how you took my repl to telling someone I think they might try PreLoad and making it like I put down preware and QI by doing it in this thread. We committed to the system you made before it was ever made, yet now we're supposedly leeching off of it for popularity?
    Oh man, we really did miscommunicate. I was saying that it is great that all the installer developers work together and reuse each other's work and ideas without getting hung up on popularity.

How about a heads up before new stuff is added?
    I'm sure an email wouldn't be too difficult until there are more than 4 installers.
    I'm not aware of where that hasn't happened. The last thing that was added to the packaging standard was the RestartFlags, and I know that I discussed that with you guys either by email or GTalk before it was implemented. I discussed other plans with Matt on the 3rd, 18th, 21st and 24th of September too. Please contact me offline if there is something we missed communicating on.

We probably should stop hijacking Jason's WebOS Quick Install thread now

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by guyver510 View Post
    I had a weird problem today trying to help a couple of friends get Preware loaded today. From my own Macbook, that I use to tweak my own Pre, I hooked up their Pres, after updating to 1.2.1 today, to install the Package Manager Service (Step 1 to get Preware on). QI could see the Pre just fine (by looking at Device Management), but when I click on the 3rd button the right, the only repository shown is Precentral. In fact, I believe it was greyed out. It did show all of the various apps from Precentral, but I couldn't select WebOS-Internals Feed All, since it wasn't listed.
    I had that same problem last night. I also couldn't determine what the problem was - WebOS Quick Install definitely has been able to access all the feeds before, and it worked fine again this morning. I experienced exactly the same symptoms as you on my Mac.

I had previously installed a custom feed, and theorised that it might have been some problem with preferences not carrying forward properly across WebOS Quick Install versions, but the fact that it works fine this morning blows that theory out of the water.

I'll be keeping an eye on it and if it recurs I'll debug it some more.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    sorry if im stepping in when i may not be needed but i think you two should just let each other be and get the topic back on quick install

both preware and preload are great installers you both make the pre very enjoyable for people....

EDIT: ooops my bad read the few last post's and saw that you said to stop thanks for being able to get back on topic
    Quote Originally Posted by smith2sc View Post
    gtit, this is my same problem, but i have mac osx, and for the novacom, i dont see anyway to make it install in osx if the button doesn't work within quick install; any ideas?? or anyone who has any clue about os x? i'm starting to get the feeling that everyone in here is just using windows since no one has said anything about novacom for mac
    Sorry bud i am not on a mac and am not sure how to get it working on that
    Mine keeps saying no device found!!! ive done everything and everything is the way its supposed to be but still NO DEVICE FOUND. PLEASE HELP!!!
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhill23falcons View Post
    Mine keeps saying no device found!!! ive done everything and everything is the way its supposed to be but still NO DEVICE FOUND. PLEASE HELP!!!
    Are you sure your device is in dev mode?
    What OS? Did you un-install and re-install novacom?

I've had some weird issues in the last few days where one time it is working just fine, I install something, and then it seems to not see it anymore. Very strange.
    After the 1.21 I can't seem to install all the tweeks and mods I had. They just aren't going through.
    We probably should stop hijacking Jason's WebOS Quick Install thread now
    You both should have stopped a long time ago. PM.
    2.72 to 2.73 do we have to remove tweaks b4 add new ones?