Page 1 of 65 1234561151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 1283
  1.    #1  
    This is an obsolete version. Please continue discussion in the 2.0 and greater thread



    WebOS Repair Utility 1.9

    WebOS Repair Utility is a completely unofficial, cross-platform desktop program that will compare md5sums. In essence, it checks which file are altered or damaged and gives options like to ignore or restore directly from WebOSDoctor.

    Currently only compatible with WebOS v1.3.5.1 (Sprint/Bell Pre/Pixi), 1.3.1 (GSM Pre), and 1.2.5 (Telcel Pre). Running on a different version will undoubtedly cause serious damage (possibly requiring WebOSDoctor to recover/whipe the device). This is an in-development app, so don't be surprised to see bugs.



    There is absolutely no obligation to donation, just some people requested a link, plus all funds go to help keeping me developing (which as university goes by requires stricter and stricter time-management).


    Download Here



    Usage

    Be sure to save WebOSRepairUtility.jar to the same folder as WebOSDoctor. I've you've used WebOS Quick Install, you'll already have it downloaded to the same folder as WebOSQuickInstall.jar.

    Also be sure to have your device with DevMode enabled and connected in "Just Charge" before running WebOSRepairUtility.jar.

    Everything else is pretty self explanitory. There's 2 main functions:
    1. Scan/Repair
      • Upon clicking, you'll need to find WebOSDoctor.
      • Then, it will proceed to do a scan of WebOS program files on your device.
      • If a file is missing from your device or a file has been altered, you're given the option to "Restore" or "Ignore"
        • "Restore" will restore the original factory file directly from WebOSDoctor and put it in place on your device.
        • "Ignore" is handy for situations where you want files left altered, like in the case of certain files with Virtual-Keyboard
    2. Restore Specific File
      • This will bring up a popup get will let you restore a specific file directly from the WebOSDoctor to device. No hassle, no mess.


    Oh, and I feel I should mention, the system scan can take a long time (tests with the emulators showed it taking over 30min to complete a full scan).

    Also, if you're a user of WebOS Quick Install, you get the added benefit that this will not interfere with the tweaks and will in fact help correct things if things go wrong and will even prevent some things that could go wrong. It's also PreCentral themer compatible and won't bug you about having themes installed.


    Screenshot



    Requirements
    • Java 1.5 or greater
    • WebOSDoctor (current version)
      • If you use WebOS Quick Install, chances are you have this already downloaded, though it migjt not be the the current version.
      • Manual download links can be found on this page



    Oh, and standard disclaimer applies; this software is provided "as is" without guarantee, and usage is at your own risk. I am in no way affiliated with Palm Inc. and this this software is completely unofficial.


    Enjoy!


    Changelog
    v1.9 - January 13, 09
    - Tecel Palm Pre support
    - webOS 1.3.5.1 support for Sprint/Bell devices
    - Increased verbose logging

    v1.8 - December 15, 09
    - Fixed the notorious "Error 3" and "Error 5"
    - Added Pixi 1.3.2 support
    - Added GSM Pre 1.3.1 support
    - Fixed bug causing scans of backups of backups
    - Fixed various other minor bugs

    v1.72 - November 20, 09
    - Fixed issue preventing files from transferring to the device and causing it to freeze
    - Fixed issue that under extremely rare circumstances would delete the webOSDoctor file
    - Improved verbose logging with Restore Specific File tool
    - Improved verbose logging of webOS Doctor selection errors
    - Fixed issue affecting usage with the Palm Pixi

    v1.71 - November 20, 09
    - Fixed issue with on-device-demo included in scan list
    - Uses a new method to close novacom streams

    v1.7 - November 19, 09
    - Fixed issue with repairing PreThemer theme and patch backups
    - Works with Pixi and GSM Pre
    - Works with 1.3.1 (Sprint/Bell/Emulator) and 1.1.3 (GSM)

    v1.6 - October 10, 09
    - Updated for v1.2.1 WebOSDoctor
    - Better first-usage handling of WebOSDoctor
    - Faster filechooser loading
    - Distinct separate md5sum lists for Sprint and Bell
    - Now properly handles the WebOS-Internals patching system
    - Wider layout
    - Now able to fully handle exiting mid-scan

    v1.5 - September 30, 09
    - WebOS 1.2-compatible
    - Added option to download WebOSDoctor

    v1.4 - September 28, 09
    - Internal code cleanup
    - Better handling of when a file isn't found in WebOSDoctor
    - Fixed issue that would occasionally cause error with ViewDiff

    v1.31 - September 28, 09
    - Better memory management
    - Many critical bugfixes

    v1.3 - September 27, 09
    - Attempted fix at keep device in tune with computer, preventing false positives and skipping files
    - Much more detailed verbose logging
    - Minor bugfix with override compatability and tweaks

    v1.21 - September 24, 09
    - Fixed issue preventing launch for some

    v1.2 - September 24, 09
    - Better handling of requiring webosDoctor.jar to run
    - File chooser starts in program's current folder
    - Added PreThemer themes to compatibility
    - Added "Override Compatibility" option
    - Various minor bugfixes

    v1.1 - September 24, 09
    - Improved file stream handling
    - Added verbose logging option
    - Added "Restore all" button
    - Added option to see the differences between file conflicts

    v1.01 - September 23, 09
    - Numerous bugfixes

    v1.0 - September 23, 09
    - Initial release
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 03/15/2010 at 03:31 AM.
  2. #2  
    siiiiiiiiiiiiiick thanks!
  3. #3  
    Wow. Nice. So if I have manually sent files to my Pre that are modified in any way, this will recognize that, pull the file from WebOSDoctor, and then overwrite the changed file? I'm just trying to understand it better.

    Also, this poses another question. What if your WebOSDoctor file is the leaked 1.2 file? Will this virtually upgrade your phone to 1.2?

    Great work though!
  4. #4  
    You did it again Jason. Amazing work. Thank you!
  5. #5  
    you can't seem to amaze me more jason...this is awesome! Will download it when I get home!
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Wow. Nice. So if I have manually sent files to my Pre that are modified in any way, this will recognize that, pull the file from WebOSDoctor, and then overwrite the changed file? I'm just trying to understand it better.

    Also, this poses another question. What if your WebOSDoctor file is the leaked 1.2 file? Will this virtually upgrade your phone to 1.2?

    Great work though!
    Kinda right. It'll detect you have put a modified file on your device and give you the option to restore from webosdoctor or to ignore the discrepancy. If you choose to restore, it'll grab the needed file from within the webosdoctor.jar file and install it directly to your device, replacing the modified one.

    It would not upgrade to v1.2 as the current version md5sums for the v1.1 program files are stored internally in WebOSRepairUtility. I highly discourage using the repair utility with a v1.2 webosdoctor (besides the fact you can't, given my file chooser is coded specifically for 1.1 )
  7. #7  
    Wow. Great program. Great idea.

    I am curious... I put the jar file in a directory that already has webOSDoctor.jar in it. How come the repair utility still asked me to locate it (and started in my documents folder, instead of current).

    I'm happy you released this. I was surprised to find that there was indeed a problem on my Pre.

    Also, a little bug, I think.....
    it said that the following file was missing:
    Missing file found: /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser/app/views/download/download-container.html
    I told it to restore it.
    It then immediately told me that the file had been modified and asked if i wanted to replace with the original (which it had just done 3 seconds earlier).

    BTW: The scan completed on my Pre in 2 minutes 31 seconds!
  8. #8  
    Jason,

    Do we need to undo Tweaks before running this? {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by KnoxBNYC View Post
    Wow. Great program. Great idea.

    I am curious... I put the jar file in a directory that already has webOSDoctor.jar in it. How come the repair utility still asked me to locate it (and started in my documents folder, instead of current).

    I'm happy you released this. I was surprised to find that there was indeed a problem on my Pre.

    Also, a little bug, I think.....
    it said that the following file was missing:
    Missing file found: /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser/app/views/download/download-container.html
    I told it to restore it.
    It then immediately told me that the file had been modified and asked if i wanted to replace with the original (which it had just done 3 seconds earlier).

    BTW: The scan completed on my Pre in 2 minutes 31 seconds!
    Are you using the downloading in browser patch? That file was used in the base downloading framework that doesn't get implement til 1.2, but that hackers have had fun with to enable downloading in browser. Not an important problem for you.

    In regards to the bug you mention, I'll look into it. I could've sworn I squashed that patch earlier today.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    Jason,
    Do we need to undo Tweaks before running this? {Jonathan}
    Nope, I've made sure it'd be friendly with tweaks
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Are you using the downloading in browser patch? That file was used in the base downloading framework that doesn't get implement til 1.2, but that hackers have had fun with to enable downloading in browser. Not an important problem for you.
    No, not important at all, nor did it alarm me in the slightest. Just thought you'd wanna know.

    Yes, I am using that patch. Installed by Quick Install (freaking COOL program!!!).

    As a matter of fact, the ONLY patches/hacks/tweaks on my phone are from Quick Install.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by KnoxBNYC View Post
    No, not important at all, nor did it alarm me in the slightest. Just thought you'd wanna know.

    Yes, I am using that patch. Installed by Quick Install (freaking COOL program!!!).

    As a matter of fact, the ONLY patches/hacks/tweaks on my phone are from Quick Install.
    I should probably ask to make sure, but does downloading in browser still works?
  12. #12  
    Holy S!

    This is a great program. You rock!!
  13. #13  
    So if it says "Scan complete" and does not provide any other information, that means that everything is okay?
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    So if it says "Scan complete" and does not provide any other information, that means that everything is okay?
    Yep
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Yep
    Fantastic. Of course, mine should be clean because I just ran the doctor this morning.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    I should probably ask to make sure, but does downloading in browser still works?
    I just went to www.irs.gov and downloaded "Form W-4" from their main page.

    It asked me if I wanted to download. I said yes. But it does not APPEAR to have downloaded. I looked in PDS Viewer and saw nothing (i have downloaded this file on my Pre before without a problem).

    Then, when I try again (in the same browser session on that page), nothing happens when I click the link for any of the 5 PDF's in the "Forms and Publications" section on the top-left of the page.

    I also verified using my desktop browser that the files are indeed there.
    Last edited by KnoxBNYC; 09/23/2009 at 09:27 AM.
  17. #17  
    So let me get this straight. If I understand correctly, this tool has the capability to restore a Pre to factory-like conditions without having to wipe all the customizations or the USB drive?

    Jason, this is gigantic. Stupendous. Magnificent. You, sir, are worthy of platitudes beyond the conception of mere humanity. I hope Palm offers you a job upon graduation.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by KnoxBNYC View Post
    I just went to www.irs.gov and downloaded "Form W-4" from their main page.

    It asked me if I wanted to download. I said yes. But it does not APPEAR to have downloaded. I looked in PDS Viewer and saw nothing (i have downloaded this file on my Pre before without a problem).

    Then, when I try again (in the same browser session on that page), nothing happens when I click the link for any of the 5 PDF's in the "Forms and Publications" section on the top-left of the page.

    I also verified using my desktop browser that the files are indeed there.
    k, I figured out the problem. It was actually a minor issue with the patch itself. I'll update webos quick install later today with a fix
  19. smkcpa's Avatar
    Posts
    112 Posts
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    #19  
    Jason-

    Does this eliminate the need for me to keep WOQICleanUp on my computer? (I am assuming that this new program replaces that?)
    Steve
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by smkcpa View Post
    Jason-

    Does this eliminate the need for me to keep WOQICleanUp on my computer? (I am assuming that this new program replaces that?)
    What's WOQICleanUp?
Page 1 of 65 1234561151 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions