Page 64 of 65 FirstFirst ... 145459606162636465 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 1283
    Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Is this the only utility/app that will allow me to replace an icon in the top bar?
    I installed a theme that I really like, but I hate that the EVDO icon has been replaced with a 5G symbol/icon. I was hoping to use this to simply replace the OEM EV icon... but it's not worth damaging the whole thing and having to do a complete Dr on it.
    If you know what file got replaced you can use my steps from a few posts back to obtain the original file extracted from the doctor and use quick install to replace the file on device.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    If you know what file got replaced you can use my steps from a few posts back to obtain the original file extracted from the doctor and use quick install to replace the file on device.
    Yeah... see, that's the problem. I read your instructions. But they indicate that I'll need to know the location of the file as well as the name. I know the name of the image[png], but no idea where it goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Yeah... see, that's the problem. I read your instructions. But they indicate that I'll need to know the location of the file as well as the name. I know the name of the image[png], but no idea where it goes.
    I just had a thought and don't know why it didn't occur to me sooner. You could extract the whole webos doctor to an folder and use windows search to locate the file in the structure from the doctor. The path after "webOSDoctor.jar\resources\webOS.tar\.\nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar.gz\nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar\.\" in the doctor should be the same path on device the only difference is for on device the path uses "/" instead of "\".
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
  4.    #1264  
    webos repair utility 2.0 will be version independent and will be out soon
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    This is Great news! Thank Jason.

Sorry for being a bit slow, but what exactly is meant by version independent?
    You are the man!! Keep up the good work!!!
    Tina T
    MCP, MCSE, MCDBA, VCP

Sharp Zaurus > Cassiopeia A-20 > Casio E-115 > Psion 3 > Phillips VELO 1 > Palm V > Treo 90 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo 4G > Samsung Epic 4G > HTC EVO 4G Shift & a rooted Nook Color!! (But still have nothing but love and hope for Palm)
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Awesome
  8.    #1268  
    Quote Originally Posted by pjjohn73 View Post
    Sorry for being a bit slow, but what exactly is meant by version independent?
    meaning you can have any webos version on your device, and as long as the webOSDoctor you're using matches that version, repair utility can work.

Essentially no more waiting for new Repair Utility to be updated for new version support

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

meaning you can have any webos version on your device, and as long as the webOSDoctor you're using matches that version, repair utility can work.

Essentially no more waiting for new Repair Utility to be updated for new version support
    That is what I was hoping it meant! You are the MAN!
    Thanks for the Hard work!
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Love your work, Jason. Keep it up.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Jason, I hope you are spending your spring break someplace warm

Keep up the great work!

Your a genius. Cheers!
    Hey Jason...
    Saw your tweet.. Maybe today???
    Pretty please??
    Tina T
    MCP, MCSE, MCDBA, VCP

Sharp Zaurus > Cassiopeia A-20 > Casio E-115 > Psion 3 > Phillips VELO 1 > Palm V > Treo 90 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo 4G > Samsung Epic 4G > HTC EVO 4G Shift & a rooted Nook Color!! (But still have nothing but love and hope for Palm)
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    Steps to replace altered files with originals when no other options work

1. After installing 7zip right click on the doctor jar file and choose open archive under the 7zip section of the menu. This will open a file explorer like window of the contents.
    2. From there you will double click on the resources folder.
    3. Then double click on webOS.tar (this will have a progress popup as it temp uncompresses the contents for viewing).
    4. Double click the "." folder.
    5. Double click the nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar.gz file next.
    6. Then double click the nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar (another progress dialog will popup).
    7. Then double click on the "." folder.
    8. At this point you are looking at the directory structure seen on the device you will follow the same path here as the path for the file you need to replace on the device.
    7. Once you have arrived to the folder containing the file you need click to select it.
    8. Click the extract button in the tool bar at the top of the window.
    9. Pick a place to save it to so you remember where it is to copy to the device from webos quick install.
    10. Put your device in dev mode and once the restart completes plug in into the USB of the PC.
    11. Open QI and choose send file from the tools menu.
    12. Click the button to choose the file extracted from the doctor jar.
    13. Type the path to the file to be replaced on the device (for example usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser/app/controllers/). The path is seen in the patch file for each file the patch alters.
    14. Click send to device.
    15. Repeat steps for each file the patch you need to reverse altered.

Thanks for the wonderful information; I think I am 90% there in regards to solving my issues but I do not know what to use for step #13 path name (a cut and pasteable entry would be heaven). MY TOP ISSUE: Battery Life led me to turn off and delete my backup and I am no longer to turn backup on again.

When I ran the "Emergency File Verification Patch" I received an error that I think tells me what files are in need of replacing the important part of the IPKG Log reeds:

Postinst
    Detected stock files modified via a method other than supported patch technologies:
    File: /var/lib/software/tmp/flashing-progress.tga
    File: /etc/hosts
    File: /etc/udev/mount.blacklist

I have extracted the needed files I just do not know the path to the file to be replaced to use in step 13 of the instructions in order to send the file I extracted from the doctor. My knowledge of DOS/Filepaths is non existant!

If someone could give me a path name (x3 issues) to use I would be tremendously appreciative !!!(a cut and pasteable entry would be appreciated; so I do not miss a slash or something)

Thanks for everyones help this community is AMAZING!
  16.    #1276  
    WebOS Repair Utility 2.0 will be out later today. As this thread is getting a bit long, I'll make a new thread for 2.0

To those wondering whether it will fix the dreaded "Error 5", I'm 99% confident it will.

I put in a safeguard-retry system for it. If an "Error 5" happens, Repair Utility will disconnect then reconnect in the background and then retry the function over again (not displaying the error message). If it retries 4 times, it'll pause for 100ms to let the Pre catch up. On the 5th error'd attempt, it'll display the error.

I tried 2.0 on my Pre and the emulator several times, and everything ran perfect fine, under 10min at that

EDIT: Woot, my 2000th post

Quote Originally Posted by FJKB View Post
    Postinst
    Detected stock files modified via a method other than supported patch technologies:
    File: /var/lib/software/tmp/flashing-progress.tga
    File: /etc/hosts
    File: /etc/udev/mount.blacklist
    If someone could give me a path name (x3 issues) to use I would be tremendously appreciative !!!(a cut and pasteable entry would be appreciated; so I do not miss a slash or something)

Thanks for everyones help this community is AMAZING!
    The path is the part without the file name

/var/lib/software/tmp/

However unless you are certain they are modified by the thing you are trying to reverse I would not replace them if they are a part of another patch or something it would break that other thing. I'm also assuming at the time I am making this post that with Jason's last post the new version is out so if you still have trouble you can see what it discovers.
    sweet jason thanks !!! i for one am glad you stuck around lol !!!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    sweet jason thanks !!! i for one am glad you stuck around lol !!!!
    +1000!
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

finally, time to fix my missing pdf app, you are my hero