Page 19 of 65 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819202122232429 ... LastLast
    Will running the Repair Utility flash my ROM? I accidentally ran WebOSDoctor about a month ago and it flashed my ROM and I ended up with a Pre that was just as the man handed it to me over the counter at the Sprint store. I just want to ensure the Repair Utility won't wipe everything. If it does wipe something, what should I have to expect to replace and what should be left alone? Thanks in advance for your help.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loaderloser View Post
    Will running the Repair Utility flash my ROM? I accidentally ran WebOSDoctor about a month ago and it flashed my ROM and I ended up with a Pre that was just as the man handed it to me over the counter at the Sprint store. I just want to ensure the Repair Utility won't wipe everything. If it does wipe something, what should I have to expect to replace and what should be left alone? Thanks in advance for your help.
    nope doesnt wipe anything
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    dang it didnt fix my err 4 broken keyboard problem!
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rothoof View Post
    dang it didnt fix my err 4 broken keyboard problem!
    So it didn't fix it. What does that tell you?

Sorry, I'm not picking on you specifically. I've been wanting to say that a long time to many, many posts. Folks, you don't have to understand every line of code. But if you can't deduct conclusions from errors and plan your next move, you're probably over your head and shouldn't be doing this stuff.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 02589 View Post
    So it didn't fix it. What does that tell you?

Sorry, I'm not picking on you specifically. I've been wanting to say that a long time to many, many posts. Folks, you don't have to understand every line of code. But if you can't deduct conclusions from errors and plan your next move, you're probably over your head and shouldn't be doing this stuff.
    That sure is helpful. Thanks
    Do you need the updated 1.2 webos doctor for this?
    "Requirements
    Java 1.5 or greater
    WebOSDoctor v1.1
    If you use WebOS Quick Install, chances are you have this already downloaded, and it may be v1.1 (if you're able to see it in the file chooser when using WebOSRepairUtility, then you have a valid version)
    Sprint users can download here
    Bell users can download here "

Has this just been overlooked or is the WebOSDoctor requirement still 1.1?
  8.    #368  
    Quote Originally Posted by free hurricane View Post
    Do you need the updated 1.2 webos doctor for this?
    As stated in post #1, yes, you do
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    WebOS Repair Utility 1.5

WebOS Repair Utility is a completely unofficial, cross-platform desktop program that will compare md5sums. In essence, it checks which file are altered or damaged and gives options like to ignore or restore directly from WebOSDoctor.

Currently only compatible with WebOS v1.2. Running on a different version will undoubtedly cause serious damage (possibly requiring WebOSDoctor to recover/whipe the device). This is an in-development app, so don't be surprised to see bugs.

There is absolutely no obligation to donation, just some people requested a link, plus all funds go to help keeping me developing (which as university goes by requires stricter and stricter time-management).

Usage

Be sure to save WebOSRepairUtility.jar to the same folder as WebOSDoctor. I've you've used WebOS Quick Install, you'll already have it downloaded to the same folder as WebOSQuickInstall.jar.

Also be sure to have your device with DevMode enabled and connected in "Just Charge" before running WebOSRepairUtility.jar.

Everything else is pretty self explanitory. There's 2 main functions:
    1. Scan/Repair
      • Upon clicking, you'll need to find WebOSDoctor v1.2. If your webosdoctor doesn't show up in the file chooser, you'll need to download the current version.
      • Then, it will proceed to do a scan of WebOS program files on your device.
      • If a file is missing from your device or a file has been altered, you're given the option to "Restore" or "Ignore"
        • "Restore" will restore the original factory file directly from WebOSDoctor and put it in place on your device.
        • "Ignore" is handy for situations where you want files left altered, like in the case of certain files with Virtual-Keyboard
    2. Restore Specific File
      • This will bring up a popup get will let you restore a specific file directly from the WebOSDoctor to device. No hassle, no mess.

Oh, and I feel I should mention, the system scan will take a long time (tests with the emulators showed it taking over 30min to complete a full scan).

Also, if you're a user of WebOS Quick Install, you get the added benefit that this will not interfere with the tweaks and will in fact help correct things if things go wrong and will even prevent some things that could go wrong. It's also PreCentral themer compatible and won't bug you about having themes installed.

Screenshot

Requirements
    • Java 1.5 or greater
    • WebOSDoctor v1.1
      • If you use WebOS Quick Install, chances are you have this already downloaded, and it may be v1.1 (if you're able to see it in the file chooser when using WebOSRepairUtility, then you have a valid version)
      • Sprint users can download here
      • Bell users can download here

Oh, and standard disclaimer applies; this software is provided "as is" without guarantee, and usage is at your own risk. I am in no way affiliated with Palm Inc. and this this software is completely unofficial.

Enjoy!

Changelog
    v1.5- September 30, 09
    - WebOS 1.2-compatible
    - Added option to download WebOSDoctor

v1.4 - September 28, 09
    - Internal code cleanup
    - Better handling of when a file isn't found in WebOSDoctor
    - Fixed issue that would occasionally cause error with ViewDiff

v1.31 - September 28, 09
    - Better memory management
    - Many critical bugfixes

v1.3 - September 27, 09
    - Attempted fix at keep device in tune with computer, preventing false positives and skipping files
    - Much more detailed verbose logging
    - Minor bugfix with override compatability and tweaks

v1.21 - September 24, 09
    - Fixed issue preventing launch for some

v1.2 - September 24, 09
    - Better handling of requiring webosDoctor.jar to run
    - File chooser starts in program's current folder
    - Added PreThemer themes to compatibility
    - Added "Override Compatibility" option
    - Various minor bugfixes

v1.1 - September 24, 09
    - Improved file stream handling
    - Added verbose logging option
    - Added "Restore all" button
    - Added option to see the differences between file conflicts

v1.01 - September 23, 09
    - Numerous bugfixes

v1.0 - September 23, 09
    - Initial release
    Under "Requirements" you state that you need to have WebOsDoctor V1.1, but at the top of your post you state that we can only run this on WebOs V1.2, so shouldn't WebOs Doctor V1.2 be the required version in your requirements section?

Also, when I tried to run the new repair utility, it said that it couldn't run because WebOsDoctor was not present in the folder. It did not offer me the opportunity to download it.

I await your response.
    Last edited by smkcpa; 09/30/2009 at 07:40 PM. Reason: fixed typos
    Steve
    I think the requirement section just got overlooked. Put any version of WebOSDoctor in the folder with the repair utility. Then download and replace WebOSDoctor thru the repair utility(TOOLS>Download WebOSDoctor). This will get you the WebOSDoctor 1.2. Then you can scan your pre.
    Last edited by iTBaggedUrPre; 09/30/2009 at 07:50 PM.
  11.    #371  
    Quote Originally Posted by iTBaggedUrPre View Post
    I think the requirement section just got overlooked. Put any version of WebOSDoctor in the folder with the repair utility. Then download and replace WebOSDoctor thru the repair utility. This will get you the WebOSDoctor 1.2.
    Yea, 1.2 is required. Forgot to update the requirements section when I was editing the post earlier; my bad. Updated now
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iTBaggedUrPre View Post
    I think the requirement section just got overlooked. Put any version of WebOSDoctor in the folder with the repair utility. Then download and replace WebOSDoctor thru the repair utility(TOOLS>Download WebOSDoctor). This will get you the WebOSDoctor 1.2.
    That worked. Thanks.
    Steve
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    And if lots of you haven't noticed by now... most people don't read the instructions, or the majority of the posts in a thread. They don't test the waters, they just jump in the pool, whether they can swim or not... (Hi, Ken!)

After all, lots of us here are lifeguards, aren't we?

Cheers,
    -JerryG
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
    Yay!
    Backup file damaged: /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/stylesheets/systemui.css
    --user restored file.
    Backup file damaged: /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/app/controllers/bar-assistant.jsjsjs
    --user restored file.
    Scan complete!
    ==============================

thanks once again Jason! it fixed my App Catalog!
    Last edited by iTBaggedUrPre; 09/30/2009 at 08:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryG View Post
    I think it's time to let a few drown. Maybe the rest will take the hint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    As stated in post #1, yes, you do
    It worked. Thanks.

Aw man, going back to 3x3 on the launcher is terrible. the icons look so big now!
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Hey folks i got an issue with my photo viewer showing all folders in my system that contain pictures. See post: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1934684

Will this utility fix it possibly? Should there be certain files i don't want it to let update?

Thanks!
    Sprint Palm Pre-
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryG View Post
    And if lots of you haven't noticed by now... most people don't read the instructions, or the majority of the posts in a thread. They don't test the waters, they just jump in the pool, whether they can swim or not... (Hi, Ken!)

Cheers,
    -JerryG
    Classic. This would make a great poster anyone up for the challenge to turn this into a motivational poster idea where the picture tells the story of the caption of this post? I'm tempted to quote this as my signature but I don't like long sigs so I will refrain.

Quote Originally Posted by free hurricane View Post
    It worked. Thanks.

Aw man, going back to 3x3 on the launcher is terrible. the icons look so big now!
    How come you are going back to 3x3? 4x4 and 5/row are working for 1.2. The patches for both are in the webos-internals quilt repo. I personally updated 5/row because I added in the tweaks to it for two line names for long names and reduced the side margins for more space between columns and kept the add/remove launcher page code out of it as it was in the original patch so that people can add them both or only one if they don't want both.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GigaS27 View Post
    Hey folks i got an issue with my photo viewer showing all folders in my system that contain pictures. See post: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1934684

Will this utility fix it possibly? Should there be certain files i don't want it to let update?

Thanks!
    I'm having the same problem with tons of extra pictures and folders showing up in my photos. I'm running webos repair right now... crossing my fingers. I'll let you know.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    WebOs repair seemed to fix my issues since updating. The extra pictures folders were all from the virtual keyboard. After running the repair, I was able to get preware to load and I uninstalled VKB and reinstalled it. I'm soooo happy that its all fixed now.

Big thanks to Jason!!