Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Wow this sounds lil harder than expected. Sounds like can't simply save the graphic as web.png, or Tweed.png but need to know the whole location?? Errr how do you know that without rooting the pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    This app will let theme creators easily create themes zips, nice and neatly. This zip file is both compatible with PreCentral Theme Gallery and the PreThemer website, and of course, is 100% compatible with WebOS Quick Install.
    And now users of this great theme building application who upload their themes to PreCentral's theme gallery will be pleased to know that preware.org now automatically converts those theme zips into theme ipkgs so that users of Preware can directly install the themes on-device from the PreCentral Themes open standard package repository: http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=1906316

Great work, Jason!

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I am just curious. Do the themes also contain sounds? If not why not? ii
    Custom ringer sound as well as a notification sound would be great. You also do not have to use them, maybe add a use sound A and B option...

I am not using any themes until I get to 1.2 just in case.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    So I know someone asked, and was told its self explanatory how to use this, but I guess I am having a blonde moment. I understand its creates the zip file - but I am not sure what I am adding to it? When I click the little green + it gives me a pop up box I am not sure what to do with ( or what to put in the spaces? )

I tried a search on how to make themes, thinking it would help make it more understandable, but I didnt find anything -

Can someone pretty please explain or point me to the right thread that will?

Thank You very much!
    smiles for your day ~ pixielee
    In a love/hate relationship w/my PalmPre(s) 6/6/09 3/22/10 4/12/10 and 5/5/10 (ops yes I lost one!)

Its Life - Live it, Love it, PLAY in it
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Wow this sounds lil harder than expected. Sounds like can't simply save the graphic as web.png, or Tweed.png but need to know the whole location?? Errr how do you know that without rooting the pre?
    It's a bit more complicated that it seems, yes, but keep in mind, for the simpler changes, like just changing the bootscreen or phone wallpaper, you can do that in WebOS Quick Install tweaks section, no theme needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    I am just curious. Do the themes also contain sounds? If not why not? ii
    Custom ringer sound as well as a notification sound would be great.
    Yes, you can add sounds to themes. Just add the mp3/wav/whatever to the theme and specify where on the Pre you want it to go

Quote Originally Posted by pixielee View Post
    So I know someone asked, and was told its self explanatory how to use this, but I guess I am having a blonde moment. I understand its creates the zip file - but I am not sure what I am adding to it? When I click the little green + it gives me a pop up box I am not sure what to do with ( or what to put in the spaces? )
    It creates a zip file with all the theme files in it, as well a file "theme.xml" that details which files in the zip go where on the device. You add virtually anything to it, images, replacement css files, sounds, etc.
    It creates a zip file with all the theme files in it, as well a file "theme.xml" that details which files in the zip go where on the device. You add virtually anything to it, images, replacement css files, sounds, etc.
    This a a very generic format which allows any type of theming to be performed. That's great.

It seems it is so generic that it could also contain any other types of file, including binaries, right? That could be bad.

How is the user alerted on installation of such a package containing binaries that they should be careful to check that the package is not containing a rewritten Palm binary which includes a Trojan which sends all their personal details to some overseas bot-net ? Especially when they can install such a zip file from anywhere on the internet, not restricted to known good community feeds?

Of course no-one in this community would do such a thing, and there are no known instances of it occurring, but the Theme Builder tool is powerful enough to package up such things it seems. How do we protect the end-users from being scammed if it is used maliciously by someone who does not have the interest of the end-user in mind?

Do you have some mechanism planned for WebOS Quick Install like the secure informed user consent screen (the screen with the big green and red buttons which shows the script and asks the user for consent to execute it) that Preware shows when installing the ipkg version of the xml theme format?

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    This a a very generic format which allows any type of theming to be performed. That's great.

It seems it is so generic that it could also contain any other types of file, including binaries, right? That could be bad.

How is the user alerted on installation of such a package containing binaries that they should be careful to check that the package is not containing a rewritten Palm binary which includes a Trojan which sends all their personal details to some overseas bot-net ? Especially when they can install such a zip file from anywhere on the internet, not restricted to known good community feeds?

Of course no-one in this community would do such a thing, and there are no known instances of it occurring, but the Theme Builder tool is powerful enough to package up such things it seems. How do we protect the end-users from being scammed if it is used maliciously by someone who does not have the interest of the end-user in mind?

Do you have some mechanism planned for WebOS Quick Install like the secure informed user consent screen (the screen with the big green and red buttons which shows the script and asks the user for consent to execute it) that Preware shows when installing the ipkg version of the xml theme format?

-- Rod
    Yea, I'll probably add user-consent for certain filetypes. That said, these themes are akin to homebrew in a sense. A person could make malicious app (no-window banckground running keylogger or similar that reports info directly to another server). Just gotta be smart about theme installations. Chances are if a theme installs something mallicious there'll be bad comments left in the theme page or Dieter would be notified. Currently all themers get approved by Dieter, so it's not like someone and register and upload themes immediately anyway.
    One suggestion I can give is try downloading themes on the theme gallery and look inside the theme.xml file to see the locations the images install to.

I could prepare a list of common image locations if that'd help
    I wanna List Please
    Global Posts
    532 Global Posts
    I am a firm supporter of the .xml format, it gives me so much more flexibility and expandability.
    Chances are if a theme installs something mallicious there'll be bad comments left in the theme page or Dieter would be notified. Currently all themers get approved by Dieter, so it's not like someone and register and upload themes immediately anyway.
    Can't malicious themes be created by the Theme Builder, hosted on some random malicious web site, and then people can download the zip file from that web site and install it using WebOS Quick Install without any warning of the danger of what they are doing?

If WebOS Quick Install could *only* install things from the PreCentral feed, I wouldn't be so concerned.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by madolen View Post
    I am a firm supporter of the .xml format, it gives me so much more flexibility and expandability.
    Yes, fully agree.

But with great power comes great responsibility on the part of the people who write the tools which can install these amazingly flexible formats (which could be used for both good and evil).

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    532 Global Posts
    Jason is super busy with the Quick Install and I have a ton of request for help with this program.. so here is a HOW TO

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-t...mebuilder.html
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I can't figure the theme builder out, don't no the destination locations in pre. Could you possibly make a theme for the Aliens (movie) with a face hugger for the start up icon. Or at least help me understand. I'm a noob but I love my pre and all the hard work you fine folks a precentral have done.
    Sorry to be the first but I've been using the Blue theme since last night and before throwing my Pre on the Charger for tonight I did a reboot and when I went to turn it on I got an error about the battery and once it came back on it lost the custom Battery Symbol.

Any ideas?

This may belong in the WebOSQuick Install thread.
    Well with themes coming along now, is it possible to get a Winterboard like app. Winterboard is on te iPod touch and allows you to save themes and change them on the fly on the device. That would be so awesome. Thanks again 
    Global Posts
    532 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Well with themes coming along now, is it possible to get a Winterboard like app. Winterboard is on te iPod touch and allows you to save themes and change them on the fly on the device. That would be so awesome. Thanks again 
    PREWARE already does this
    is there a way to go back and add more icons after youve already closed the theme builder.

I guess what I'm asking is is there a way to edit my theme or do I have to redo every single file plus the ones I want to add?
  18.    #58  
    Theme zip editing and a setup-wizard are in the works for the next version
    Global Posts
    532 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    is there a way to go back and add more icons after youve already closed the theme builder.

I guess what I'm asking is is there a way to edit my theme or do I have to redo every single file plus the ones I want to add?

If you send my your .xml file, and the name of the icons you want to add I can fix your file manually. Please include app id's
    Thanks man I just finished a theme last night I will try this theme builder when I get home from work today
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678 13 ... LastLast