Page 130 of 130 FirstFirst ... 3080120125126127128129130
Results 2,581 to 2,596 of 2596
Like Tree1Likes
    I wanted to add something to the above statement by jtorres:

I believe some of the developers in Homebrew are trying to figure out a way to install apps in the user available space, the space we get when we plug out Pre in with the USB cable.

If you look at your Device Info, you never have the full 8gb of storage space, part of that 8gb goes to the WebOS like what jtorres is talking about.

Palm allocated so much for the WebOS and additional applicatons, email, etc.. And then gave us the rest for our Photos, Music, Video, etc.

So again, the developers are looking for a way to install some apps in the USB (for lack of better words) portion of the available space, so more can get installed.

That's one way they are going to try and break the so called barrier.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

I wanted to add something to the above statement by jtorres:

I believe some of the developers in Homebrew are trying to figure out a way to install apps in the user available space, the space we get when we plug out Pre in with the USB cable.

If you look at your Device Info, you never have the full 8gb of storage space, part of that 8gb goes to the WebOS like what jtorres is talking about.

Palm allocated so much for the WebOS and additional applicatons, email, etc.. And then gave us the rest for our Photos, Music, Video, etc.

So again, the developers are looking for a way to install some apps in the USB (for lack of better words) portion of the available space, so more can get installed.

That's one way they are going to try and break the so called barrier.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by jtorres View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to clarify this.
    I know what it's like coming to these forums when you get a new device after the initial crowd. There is a lot of reading to catch up on and it seemed to me like you were drinking from the fire hose as best as you could. I just put a little kink in the hose so you could better taste what you were drinking!

rlanza1054, thanks for your additional post about what (xorg, I believe, and others) are doing to alleviate the issue we were discussing. That's good info that jtorres will want to know too!
    Last edited by sudoer; 10/04/2009 at 12:59 AM. Reason: changed punctuation
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by smkcpa View Post
    Per Jason:

>>Wow, that's a bit harsh, especially considering I helped port patches to the Preware ipk format and WebOSQuickInstall tweaks will be compatible with Preware....

And there are still some things WebOS Quick Install can do that Preware can't, like set messaging avatar, set boot logo, set dialer background, and such. Plus sending and receiving files without linux access.

And don't forget about future plans for resizing /var/ to allow for more application space and plans for device backup. <<
    Is there a "head to head" comparison anyplace? Trade offs etc.
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goky View Post
    Is there a "head to head" comparison anyplace? Trade offs etc.
    Most people just use both
    Quote Originally Posted by bdgdl08 View Post
    Most people just use both
    Good point.

thanks

My thanks button no work!
    the "updates" icon also shows updates of installed apps...
    Quote Originally Posted by SISGO View Post
    Check if ur palm novacom is working ....go to start.....right click in my computer ... Choose manage.... There is a list look for services and applications .. Click services there is another list look for palm novacom click over to see is working if not press start device!!! Good luck
    i have done all this but it still says the same thing it shows the device is started and automatic but still cannot detect the device i also deleted that mci file for windows please help
    I realize that this post duplicates dozens of other on here, so if need be, let any op go ahead and delete it. Unfortunately, my pre updated to 1.2 before I realized it isn't compatible with QI. I'd really like to have access to the homebrew apps.
    I s'pose I could perform a total reset and go back to the factory settings, but would that bring 1.1 back?
    I've also read too much conflicting info on here that QI will work for apps, but not for tweaks. I also read that the earlier versions of QI will work with 1.2; so I tried 2.03 and then 2.6, neither did the job.
    Also, instead of panicking, does anyone know if Jason has a new version of QI in the works, as 1.2.1 is already out.

IMHO: There really should be some sort of liaison between PreCentral and Palm, as I've heard they have people scouring the boards, but is that really good enough?
    I know this is going to sound like a Bitc* rant but i do not mean it to sound that way...

1st we all we were all noobs at one point in time...

2nd Sending links to stupid unrelated websites does not help any one if you must link to something send them to page one or a related thread (trust me its not hard at all)

3rd who ever the jack ***** was that posted that some one should run a command that would render there phone useless ie format it or something like that has no right to be here and should be forced to use a jitterbug phone for life....

(I bought my 13 year old cousin a Pre for his birthday because he has wanted one since it came out he was having an Odd problem with WebOS QI... I told him that the answer is some were in this thread but i could not remember what page to just read up and you will find it... well he did come to this thread and came upon that post and he did what it said to do... It toasted his phone took a while to get it working as per he is 900 miles away so again not every one will under stand that was a sarcastic joke especially if there native language is not English)...

So again Noobs you need to read before asking a questions... You can read maybe the first 10 pages and the last 4 or 5 and get your answer 90% of the time... When you do need to ask a question make sure you tell em what steps you have taken and be polite Jason works his *** off on this (thank you) and if some one refers you to another thread that has your answer look at it and don't just ask the same thing again... I know that when your trying to fix your phone after a mod goes wrong can be very frustrating... You just need to sit it down for 10 min take a breather and read some more... Most likely you will find the answer Or you could just use the search option it helps also...

Sorry if this seams like a Bitc* rant but i just felt i should say this my cousin should have never had to go through what he did because some one thought they were being smart and witty when in realty they were just being jerks... The whole reason for this to help each other and solve problems...

PAY IT FORWARD...
  11.    #2591  
    Could a mod please close this thread.

New v2.7 thread can be found here: http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...-7-beyond.html

Thanks
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    I'm sorry, I missed the part about why you didn't advise your cousin to hold off until Jason gets his update done? Especially since he is a 13 year old noob.

At some point, there needs to be line where modding is just over your head. It's okay to learn, but it's not a god given right to sit on a throne and have answers hand delivered. I don't think I've seen any honest efforts abused.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pardoe View Post
    how the hell did you manage to read this entire post?!?
    I started reading it the day Post # 1 was put up. This is a continuation thread from the first WebOsQuick Install thread, which many of us had been following from it's inception date. When that thread was closed and this new thread was created (hence the "cont'd" in the name of the thread) I, along with many others, moved to this thread. I check the thread numerous times per day and read the posts to see if there are any new developments.

Lately, it has become quite a chore, as many newcomers come here and post a question without bothering to read anything first. Had they read first, and tried running the thread search tools, they would have found that most of their questions had been asked an answered numerous times.

The post that I made recently regarding the Palm update converting my Pre back to a Palm Pilot was meant to lighten the mood, while we continue to wait for Jason to release version 2.7.

The reader who told me that I shouldn't have asked the question about my problem before "first reading the thread" would have known that my post was a joke, had he just taken the time to read it (my post, not the entire thread).

And now, we should all move on to Jason's new thread :

New v2.7 thread can be found here:

[http://forums.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/206905-webos-quick-install-v2-7-beyond.html#post1946232[/URL]
    Last edited by smkcpa; 10/04/2009 at 07:20 AM.
    Steve
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    When I first read your post, I was like W T F ???, until I got to the Palm Pilot part and then I started busting out laughing I've been playing catch-up on what happened today and I think you had the funniest post of the day!
    Thank you!! The whole point of my post was to help lighten the mood while we wait for Jason to post V2.7
    Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    Hi Jon,
    The "out of space" issue you are referring to is a check done on the Pre when downloading/installing apps from the app catalog. The software that installs from the app catalog wants to make sure there is plenty of free space on the filesystem mounted on /var on the Pre. It actually complains at some percentage full (somewhere around 50%, but I don't remember the exact percentage so my 50% guess is off by as much as 10-20%). This has nothing to do with rooting the pre or installing or not installing homebrew apps, but homebrew apps are also installed in the /var filesystem so they can help to fill up the space. In therory, a Pre without any homebrew or tweaks could also run into problems filling the /var filesystem beyond the percentage threshold (for instance if you installed a lot of apps and downloaded a lot of email). Homebrew just helps to get /var above the threshold sooner.

The person who told you that rooting circumvents this problem really does not understand how things work. What [s]he meant to say was that you can still install homebrew apps even after the app store complains that you are out of space.

Regarding your questions about why so many have "rooted" their Pre's - many of us did this when we didn't have a choice (because WebOsQuickInstall and preware did not yet exist). Now, there really isn't a reason to do this unless you know/understand Linux and want to ssh into your Pre and see how things are laid out (or if you want to start inventing your own tweaks). You might actually find this interesting. If so, join the conversation on the #webos-internals IRC channel over on irc://irc.freenode.net/
    HI BCLANCY (OR ANYONE) can you help me out with this one and let me know what to do. When I try to download or update from filecoaster it tells me not enough install space . But my device says 8GB total and 6GB is available. Why would I not have enough space? ...how do I increase it since I have 6GB left over. Thanks...IF anyone would like to call to help me out with this feel free to do so. Just ask for RINGTONE JOE @ 216-592-8585 don't worry about the minutes I'm sure we all have any mobile to mobile by now
    Last edited by RINGTONE JOE; 10/04/2009 at 08:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Could a mod please close this thread.

New v2.7 thread can be found here: http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...-7-beyond.html

Thanks
    hello jason ; i noticed an update for multi web patch and uninstalled to reinstall it an what do you no i now get this really long log about how it wont install and now i cant get it to work on either preware or webos QI can you check and see if this update messed something up thanks !?
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->