Page 129 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2979119124125126127128129130 LastLast
Results 2,561 to 2,580 of 2596
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smkcpa View Post

I didn't have time to read any of the messages on this board
    Maybe take the time to read the messages so that you wont be in a mess in the first place.

I have two palm pre's, neither of them automatically installed the update.

Suggest looking at the following post for recovery http://www.precentral.net/how-to-res...en-bricked-pre
    It will auto update if you allow it to download the update but hit install later. It gives two options for the install later, update at next charge and update in ten minutes.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by makurz View Post
    Maybe take the time to read the messages so that you wont be in a mess in the first place.

I have two palm pre's, neither of them automatically installed the update.

Suggest looking at the following post for recovery http://www.precentral.net/how-to-res...en-bricked-pre
    I noticed that you only quoted 1 sentence from my post, and then attacked me.

If you would have actually read my ENTIRE post, you would most likely have figured out that it was tongue in cheek. My references to Palm Pilot and Treo were dead give aways, don't you think???

And for your information, I HAVE taken the time to read this ENTIRE thread.
    Steve
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    I had an idea, but if you read the entire thread, then you know the answer and the whole post was tounge in cheek.

Ha Ha
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by uminchu View Post
    Since updating to v1.2.1, QI v2.03 and v2.6, Two separate PCs running Vista32 no longer recognize my Pre. v1.2 was fine, other than the known tweaks issues. Using both a desktop and a laptop, whether attempting to initiate device management or browse a repository, I continually get the dreaded "Please connect your device then hit OK" error. Rebooting the phone and/or either PC has no effect. Has anyone experienced similar issues since updating to v1.2.1? Any help appreciated.

Thanks
    *Update* - Connecting the Pre no longer invokes the Novacom driver. I installed the 1.2 SDK to try to restore Novacom, but no luck. I then followed the instructions for manually extracting the 386 file from WebOS Doctor, editing with Orca, and manually reinstalling. The Novacom driver still does not activate when connecting a Pre. Can someone with skills please explain to me how to force the Novacom drivers to activate in Vista32?

Thanks again
    Can someone with skills please explain to me how to force the Novacom drivers to activate in Vista32?
    Have you tried re-installing Novacom via the WebOS QuickInstall GUI? Go to file, options, attempt Novacom (re)installation.

Also, are you in Dev mode?
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I noticed that you only quoted 1 sentence from my post, and then attacked me.

If you would have actually read my ENTIRE post, you would most likely have figured out that it was tongue in cheek. My references to Palm Pilot and Treo were dead give aways, don't you think???

And for your information, I HAVE taken the time to read this ENTIRE thread.
    how the hell did you manage to read this entire post?!?
    Once you are in Hell, Only the Devil can help you

Click To See My Themes

If you have any theme requests email me at Pardoe@live.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Pardoe View Post
    how the hell did you manage to read this entire post?!?
    Hey it's possible. I've been a member of this forum for a while (3 months isn't really a LONG time, but it is in 'Pre years'). mostly reading, learning, laughing... I have seen some long posts before but this one is a biggie. I would imagine with a large enough bottle of eye drops and a case of excedrin, it could be done..
    ~= The Crimson Knight =~

"To Pre or not to Pre? . . . If you have to ask, I'll kick your a.."
    I am having a problem downloading the Webinstaller to my phone. It downloads to my mac and I clik on the english button and agree to the terms. I then connect my pre using the usb and click continue....then I wait. The next button never comes up. I have waited over 3 hours one time. What do I do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    I have seen some long posts before but this one is a biggie. I would imagine with a large enough bottle of eye drops and a case of excedrin, it could be done..

Yes, but it would be an exercise in madness.
    Its so nice to have all my tweaks back, I was going crazy without them
    *Update* - Connecting the Pre no longer invokes the Novacom driver. I installed the 1.2 SDK to try to restore Novacom, but no luck. I then followed the instructions for manually extracting the 386 file from WebOS Doctor, editing with Orca, and manually reinstalling. The Novacom driver still does not activate when connecting a Pre. Can someone with skills please explain to me how to force the Novacom drivers to activate in Vista32?

Thanks again
    I had the same problem, try and reboot your computer.

That fixed it for me.

I had at first, clicked on 'Re-Install Novacom' first. So I at least knew I had that installed.

And that still did not make it work.

Then I rebooted my computer and that did not work.

Then I looked over and had forgotten to put the Pre in Dev Mode.

So I did that.

IT worked.

For some reason lately it doesn't always see the Pre. I found if you just reboot both devices (making sure you are in Dev Mode, and if necessary, turn off DEV mode and then turn it back ON), that seems to fix the issue.

Hope this helps!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Well, going to bed, I guess a late night release isn't going to happen....hopefully tomorrow.....I'm dying to get my Pre all tweaked out.
    "Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off"
    Good night, Jason. Don't stay up too late.

And thanks.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Ok, it's waaaay too many pages to read in this thread. I have 1.2.1, and Quick Install 2.6. On the tweaks, I get an error message on almost all of them. the only tweaks I can get to work is the call duration, and IM status. What am I doing wrong?
    IT'S NOT A DAMN BLACKBERRY!....
    Quote Originally Posted by djraw View Post
    Ok, it's waaaay too many pages to read in this thread. I have 1.2.1, and Quick Install 2.6. On the tweaks, I get an error message on almost all of them. the only tweaks I can get to work is the call duration, and IM status. What am I doing wrong?
    your not reading the very first post of this thread. The same thing as everybody else who asks that same question.

BAT SIGNAL is up and waiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtorres View Post
    Has anyone else heard that the Pre without being rooted may give an error of "out of space", which is avoided by rooting?
    Hi Jon,
    The "out of space" issue you are referring to is a check done on the Pre when downloading/installing apps from the app catalog. The software that installs from the app catalog wants to make sure there is plenty of free space on the filesystem mounted on /var on the Pre. It actually complains at some percentage full (somewhere around 50%, but I don't remember the exact percentage so my 50% guess is off by as much as 10-20%). This has nothing to do with rooting the pre or installing or not installing homebrew apps, but homebrew apps are also installed in the /var filesystem so they can help to fill up the space. In therory, a Pre without any homebrew or tweaks could also run into problems filling the /var filesystem beyond the percentage threshold (for instance if you installed a lot of apps and downloaded a lot of email). Homebrew just helps to get /var above the threshold sooner.

The person who told you that rooting circumvents this problem really does not understand how things work. What [s]he meant to say was that you can still install homebrew apps even after the app store complains that you are out of space.

Regarding your questions about why so many have "rooted" their Pre's - many of us did this when we didn't have a choice (because WebOsQuickInstall and preware did not yet exist). Now, there really isn't a reason to do this unless you know/understand Linux and want to ssh into your Pre and see how things are laid out (or if you want to start inventing your own tweaks). You might actually find this interesting. If so, join the conversation on the #webos-internals IRC channel over on irc://irc.freenode.net/
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    ... but when WebOs 1.2.1 forced itself onto my phone, my phone reverted to a:Palm Pilot
    When I first read your post, I was like W T F ???, until I got to the Palm Pilot part and then I started busting out laughing I've been playing catch-up on what happened today and I think you had the funniest post of the day!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    I just followed the instructions on...i think it was page 76, it might have been a little earlier then that, can not remember for sure
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    Hi Jon,
    The "out of space" issue you are referring to is a check done on the Pre when downloading/installing apps from the app catalog. The software that installs from the app catalog wants to make sure there is plenty of free space on the filesystem mounted on /var on the Pre. It actually complains at some percentage full (somewhere around 50%, but I don't remember the exact percentage so my 50% guess is off by as much as 10-20%). This has nothing to do with rooting the pre or installing or not installing homebrew apps, but homebrew apps are also installed in the /var filesystem so they can help to fill up the space. In therory, a Pre without any homebrew or tweaks could also run into problems filling the /var filesystem beyond the percentage threshold (for instance if you installed a lot of apps and downloaded a lot of email). Homebrew just helps to get /var above the threshold sooner.

The person who told you that rooting circumvents this problem really does not understand how things work. What [s]he meant to say was that you can still install homebrew apps even after the app store complains that you are out of space.

Regarding your questions about why so many have "rooted" their Pre's - many of us did this when we didn't have a choice (because WebOsQuickInstall and preware did not yet exist). Now, there really isn't a reason to do this unless you know/understand Linux and want to ssh into your Pre and see how things are laid out (or if you want to start inventing your own tweaks). You might actually find this interesting. If so, join the conversation on the #webos-internals IRC channel over on irc://irc.freenode.net/
    Thank you for taking the time to clarify this.
    "Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off"