Page 126 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2676116121122123124125126127128129130 LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,520 of 2596
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaHooska View Post
    This thread keeps pelple from starting completely new threads. Think about how many people have re-asked questions that have already been answered many times, and then just imagine what the forums would look like if all those people opened completely new WebOSQI threads instead of posting in this thread. Yikes!
    True - so maybe just make this "read
    only" with emphasis on READ, and add to the banner "all of your questions are answered in the posts in this forum. Please read them."
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Well, it may seem petty but here is the difference:

1) Jason's battery % tweak showed the full number in addition to the percent symbol. Example: 100%

2) The patch available via Preware seems limited to 2 characters. So, instead of showing 100%, it shows 10. Granted, wait a few minutes and it will show up as 99 but it still doesn't show the percent symbol.

Now, the world isn't going to end because of it, but given a choice, I would rather have the full version, it just looks nicer.
    The patch I used from Preware shows the icon and percentage. And the percentage shows 100%.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtorres View Post
    As a noob, I am not fiddeling with my phone until the new QI comes out, however I am not for sure exactly "what" is rooting, and the benefits to rooting, such as is it required in order to do certain tweaks, etc. So if someone would be so nice as to tell me what is the purpose of rooting, the benefit, and if it is in fact a required step in order to take "full" advantgae of my pre.
    You don't need to get root access to your pre, just follow precentral's homebrew app instructions using the new QI (when available) and you'll be good to go. The root access happens behind the scenes thanks to the handy tools that Jason and others are producing.
    I am actually waiting. Real time, right now... WebOSQI 2.7
    (Thumbs up for the plug ins for, the new Beta IMs. Live & Yahoo on my 1.2.1!!)
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    We need to call the new thread "Look in here for puke and snot!" until we make sure everything works.
    Quote Originally Posted by rdmpe View Post
    You don't need to get root access to your pre, just follow precentral's homebrew app instructions using the new QI (when available) and you'll be good to go. The root access happens behind the scenes thanks to the handy tools that Jason and others are producing.
    So why are many rooting their phone?

I was under the impression that QI was for apps and such, but thought rooting was for certain tweaks or patches, which I haven't figured out the difference between "tweaks/patches"....I just want to make sure I am fully informed/educated abou all this for when the new QI is available I will just install, and enjoy, which is why I haven't installed anything at all.

I want to avoid being one of the many posters saying tey screwed up this or that because of lack of "reading".

So if your statment is correct that I don't have to root, or no additional benefits will be available to me by doing so....then I will not root, unless anyone else has any other information I could use about rooting.

thanks again,
    Jon
    Quote Originally Posted by opendave View Post
    Oh, the younger generation!

Our moderator has named himself after a character from the book Catch-22. Bev misses the book and is considering reading it again. He is not really bending fenders or milo's mind.

oh how the older generation is ignorant in that they think they know everything and us younger people dont know anything. I am full aware of the book and if you would read through the thread we have been playing with his name for about 30 pages now. dont come in at the end and think you know what is going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twosted View Post
    The patch I used from Preware shows the icon and percentage. And the percentage shows 100%.
    There are 2 patches. One for percent and one for icon and percent. I'd like just the percent patch and have it show the full version.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    i installed the "date on top bar" patch earlier today and of course they had an update right after i did. i tried removing it and it gave me an error. i think i removed it on quickinstall because it doesn't show up in "installed packages" on preware now but there the date is on the top bar. any thoughts?

Edit: Nevermind, i ran emergency patch recovery and all is better
    Last edited by polo79; 10/03/2009 at 03:22 PM.
    I don't know what's more annoying guys.

The people complaining and asking for the new update, or the people complaining about people asking and requesting the thread be closed.

Everybody just relax already. This is the internet, do not expect too much more than 4chan-like maturity and respectfulness.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtorres View Post
    while others are asking totally stupid questions without 1st searching for the answer, I have asked but have not received a reply to mine, and although I know I could start a whole new thread for this question, it is related to this new QI, here goes my question again, I hope someone will be kind enought to asnwer:

"can anyone tell me what is the purpose of rooting? what will i be able to do by rooting my phone that I would benefit from?"

Thanks
    rooting gives you full access to the phone. It is like the super user of a computer. You could technically rewrite the entire operation system if you knew how to. With many of the apps/tweaks/patches you don't have to. So unless you have something in mind that you want to install and the directions say to root your pre, I wouldn't touch it. QI, Preware, Virtual Keyboard and FileCoaster don't need a rooted pre. I don't know what else you are looking for. I hope that helps!
    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomPhreak53 View Post
    rooting gives you full access to the phone. It is like the super user of a computer. You could technically rewrite the entire operation system if you knew how to. With many of the apps/tweaks/patches you don't have to. So unless you have something in mind that you want to install and the directions say to root your pre, I wouldn't touch it. QI, Preware, Virtual Keyboard and FileCoaster don't need a rooted pre. I don't know what else you are looking for. I hope that helps!
    Perfect, thats what I was looking for.

I guess i'll just continue to bite my nails waiting on the new QI, just got my pre like 4 days ago and want to get its full potential.
    well real quick question i jus dowm loaded the new version today and totally forgot i had added patches and didnt take them off will that effect or mess anythin up on my Pre. Thanks Again for everything.
    Ash
    Question:

Does this NOT work on Windows 7?

I installed Windows 7 RC1 last night and when I go to WebosDoctor OR Quick Install... it says to connect the device... but it is connected.

Advice?
    This thread has become so entertaining. I'm willing to bet that half the people in here don't even know what they will do with the new version of WOSQI once Jason finishes building it and people finally get their hands on it.

I mean seriously, what will you be able to do with the new WOSQI that you can't already do with the latest version of Preware (installed via WOSQI 2.03 and running on WebOS 1.2)?
    For anyone interested, I have upgraded to WebOS 1.2.1 today (clean, meaning no previous patches present), then used WebOS QuickInstall 2.03 to sucessfully add the following:
    Virtual Keyboard
    Tweaks:
    Add/Delete Launcher Pages
    Silence Dialpad and add vibrating feedback
    Email in Landscape mode
    Battery % in top header.

All are working fine so far, so good luck! And for those inevitable questions......READ THE PREVIOUS POSTS FOLKS! You WILL find the answers there, including "where can I get WOSQI 2.03", becasue the system won't let me put it here. But you can go to the WebOS Quick Install Thread and look at post #2421 by benp3rd.

Thank you all to all the informative posts, and most of all THANK YOU JASON!! Awesome work dude!!
    For anyone interested, I have upgraded to WebOS 1.2.1 today (clean, meaning no previous patches present), then used WebOS QuickInstall 2.03 to sucessfully add the following:
    Virtual Keyboard
    Tweaks:
    Add/Delete Launcher Pages
    Silence Dialpad and add vibrating feedback
    Email in Landscape mode
    Battery % in top header.

All are working fine so far, so good luck! And for those inevitable questions......READ THE PREVIOUS POSTS FOLKS! You WILL find the answers there, including "where can I get WOSQI 2.03", becasue the system won't let me put it here. But you can go to the WebOS Quick Install Thread (this Thread) and look at post #2421 by benp3rd.

Thank you all to all the informative posts, and most of all THANK YOU JASON!! Awesome work dude!!
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Question:

Does this NOT work on Windows 7?

I installed Windows 7 RC1 last night and when I go to WebosDoctor OR Quick Install... it says to connect the device... but it is connected.

Advice?
    two things:
    do a search for windows 7 novacom install and make sure its in Developer Mode
    If you're a Linux nut, you want to "root" your Pre - you can look at the file structure, remount the / file system read/write, edit the files directly (in other words, instead of using the patches/tweaks utilities, you can "do it yourself"), or secure shell into/out of your device. If you're not, you just wanna stick to using QI or Preware to do it for you.

BTW: Jason isn't sure he'll have the next QI done today ... http://twitter.com/JayCanuck/status/4586624079
    Last edited by ericdives; 10/03/2009 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Saw a tweet from Jason ...
    I take pictures both under water and above. I talk about a bunch of stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by bignoze View Post
    two things:
    do a search for windows 7 novacom install and make sure its in Developer Mode
    It's in dev mode, I even took it out of dev mode and then put it back in.

Also, I tried the novacom edit and it just causes crash logs.

Also, Novaterm will not connect.
    Last edited by Mattykinsx; 10/03/2009 at 05:12 PM.