Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    I say go for it. No risk, no reward. Right?
    yeah i already did it...it worked thru preLoad
    Does anyone know where the browser bookmarks and browser launcher items are stored? It would be wonderful to be able to backup and restore these things, which are lost whenever you have to do a total erase of the device.
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    Hey Jason,

Thanks so much! This is one of my must-haves for sure.

Could you consider putting file rename on your list of things to include?
    I am having trouble putting filemgr on my pre. I dont really want to learn how to root it, but WebOS quick install is not installing it, or it does not show up in the program list. When I try to use internalz, it says ca.canucksoftware.filemgr is not running. Am I doing something wrong? or am I going to have to root my Pre to get it running?

Nevermind, I read back to page 2 and found the answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by eKalb View Post
    I am having trouble putting filemgr on my pre. I dont really want to learn how to root it, but WebOS quick install is not installing it, or it does not show up in the program list. When I try to use internalz, it says ca.canucksoftware.filemgr is not running. Am I doing something wrong? or am I going to have to root my Pre to get it running?
    Close the program and try and reopen it. The first time I ran it, it said the same thing. Also, apparently it takes a little bit of time to install the services the first time. The next thing I would try is to reinstall the services.
    Typed the URL into FILECOASTER twenty times and still no icon. Any ideas?
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I have the same problem. I have used webos and filecoaster to install both programs. Filemgr never shows up. And get the same error message.
    Tried several times.
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    Jason, what about this one:

When you download an email attachment it goes somewhere into /var/luna (i'm not positive the exact directory). If the attachment is a picture there is a "copy to photos" button that pops up when viewing the pictures (from inside the email app) that basically takes the .jpg file and copies it to /media/internal/downloads so that it is now accessible from the photo app of the phone.

The problem is that this button only exists for photos in webOS. So if you get emailed an mp3 file, for example, you can download it through the email app - but then clicking on it once downloaded simply loads the phones "streaming" interface to play the song. You cannot see it in the music app of the phone because it is in that /var/luna directory and cannot be moved to the usb accessible portion of the flash (which is where the music app looks for music).

This is just an example but applies to any file type that is not a picture. It's stuck in that /var/luna folder and cannot be accessed or gotten off of the phone in any way.

Is it possible you could allow specific access to this ONE attachment folder so that all of our email attachments could be copied to /media/internal/?
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    installed both apps as required but when I run internalz/says the file mgr is not running? dont see the file mgr app on phone after downloading? plz help

got it disregard
    For those of you still having trouble with the install... The FileManager Service must be installed via the latest version of WebOSquickInstall with your Pre connected to your PC via USB. However, the Internalz program can be installed via FileCoaster if you wish (or also via WebOSquickInstall).

The FileManager Service will not show up as an icon in your app list after the install, instead it just runs automatically in the background.
    ^ive done that and get a java error.. nothing about the service though. ive pm'd jason
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    The thing that really makes my head spin is that the customer support people from Resco said that it was not possible to develop a file manager without low level access to the OS.
    They were correct. Internalz uses a custom service (a technique pioneered by WebOS Internals) to do that low level access to the OS.

You cannot write an app like Internalz using just the official webOS API.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  14.    #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    hi thx for the update! to clarify though, opening of images is still not working yet, right? it's not just my install. thx.
    Correct. I think I'm gonna make a new scene with an image widget to display image types myself.

Quote Originally Posted by RealMayo View Post
    1) Just an fyi the load time for listing a LARGE directory's contents still has a slight delay (up to 5 seconds) but that is understandable since there are a lot of files to read. Maybe a future release could display the contents one file at a time as the files are read (like a growing list as it is being processed). Or at the very least have an "hourglass" so that the user doesn't think the directory is empty because they didn't wait long enough?

2) The Back Gesture is great however there is a slight bug. If I open Internalz and navigate to a folder (lets call the folder "Music") - then I close Internalz and reopen it (of course it remembers my last position) - then when I do the Back Gesture, it won't go back past the Music folder - instead it zooms out the card as though I pressed the center button - however I CAN still press the ".." at the top of the list to go further back.

3) For performing a delete, can a future release allow for a horizontal swipe on the file in order to delete it? That would be cool.

4) I know you don't want Internalz to act as a Media Launcher but what if I already have an M3U playlist file created, can you make that launchable?
    1) Not too much I can do about that speed. I'll look into a more efficient sorting routine, which may or or may not cause a noticable speed increase

2) Correct. The history stack clears on closing the program. Otherwise the history would get really long and would eat up more memory than I'm comfortable with.

3)I tried that originally. However, if you swiped it off, and there was the 'Delete' and 'Cancel' buttons underneath, then if you swiped another entrie, the previous unconfirmed entry would delete. Possibly a bug in mojo, I dunno why it acts like that.

4)If a .m3u file doesn't open currently, then there's not much more I can do. Open performs the default application 'open' command. Looking at the /usr/palm/command-resource-handlers.json file, m3u is registered:
    Code:
    { "extn":"m3u", "mime":"audio/mpegurl", "appId":"com.palm.app.streamingmusicplayer", "streamable":true },
    So it should open in the music player.

Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    I suspect since you have already installed the services you could install the ipk through filecoaster. This is just my educated guess so I hope Jason or someone who knows for sure can confirm this.
    Yep, if you have the FileMgr Service installed, you can install Internalz via FileCoaster.

Quote Originally Posted by flamand View Post
    Could you consider putting file rename on your list of things to include?
    That will be on the Info panel

Quote Originally Posted by thrilsekr View Post
    I have the same problem. I have used webos and filecoaster to install both programs. Filemgr never shows up. And get the same error message.
    Tried several times.
    FileMgr Service is not an application; there will be no icon for it. It is a custom service that must be install via WebOS Quick Install or rooting methods

Quote Originally Posted by bhack View Post
    Is it possible you could allow specific access to this ONE attachment folder so that all of our email attachments could be copied to /media/internal/?
    /var/ is supported for data writing/deleting. So you will be able to edit all files there and move/delete what you want.
    i just gotta say that this is the most useful app for me lol. it can open music files which is pretty neat. future updates i cant wait.. it would be awesome if u can install apps through this too, i guess because i kinda miss the way my touch pro installed apps through .cab files

Donate Via Paypal to Email Adress: silent2205@gmail.com
    Email: fritos1406@aim.com
    Twitter: @fritos1406
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Fantastic, thanks J! A file manager was high on my list of gotta-haves! Now if we could just get a better SMS/MMS client and streaming video on the browser...
    I already downloaded the files onto my pre, will it update on it's own through filecoaster or will i have to do it all over again. I know i jumped the gun because i have been reading about others using Internalz. its not working because the filemgr. is not. But, if in the future this is all up and running as described here, will it work? Thanks
    Any chance you can get it to atleast open up pictures on the storage? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by holley2583 View Post
    I already downloaded the files onto my pre, will it update on it's own through filecoaster or will i have to do it all over again. I know i jumped the gun because i have been reading about others using Internalz. its not working because the filemgr. is not. But, if in the future this is all up and running as described here, will it work? Thanks
    Any package manager that supports advanced homebrew apps will be able to update it. WebOS Quick Install currently supports them. Preware will support them in the 1.0.0 version. fileCoaster and PreLoad/PreUpdater currently don't.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by thrilsekr View Post
    Tried several times.
    Read the OP, you can't download interalz via filecoaster. You must use quickinstall...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast