Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    just an fyi.... still getting the same 'canuck' error.... what i did:

1- from webos quick install (latest vers), downloaded file mngr and installed it
    2- restart luna
    3- from webos quick install (latest vers), downloaded internalz and installed it
    4- restart luna

any ideas? thanks
    Palm Pre (Sprint)
  2.    #322  
    Quote Originally Posted by winb83 View Post
    will this ever be able to extract zip and or rar files? some of our school projects are given to us in that format and it'd be pretty cool to be able to get assignments on the phone. when they come out with a document editor i could write basic programs on this thing.
    yep, zip/rar extraction is in the works

Quote Originally Posted by antmon1 View Post
    just an fyi.... still getting the same 'canuck' error....
    I'll look into it

Now that I've got my own subforum, the next FileMgr Service release will separate into its own thread for better organization

1- from webos quick install (latest vers), downloaded file mngr and installed it
    2- restart luna
    3- from webos quick install (latest vers), downloaded internalz and installed it
    4- restart luna

any ideas? thanks
    YEP getting the same error myself, I just reinstalled it and the fileservice is updated through preware, BUT still does not work.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts

2- restart luna
    4- restart luna

any ideas? thanks
    OK. I thought you had to restart/reboot your phone/Pre/Linux for the file manager service to restart. Not Luna... This is what I've done in the past.

Jason?

Thanks,
    -JerryG
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
  5.    #325  
    Yea, the java needs to reboot (which it should in Preware/WOSQI). If it doesn't, reboot the device
    I tried this and still get the ca.canucksoftware.filemgr is not running. I cannot find it on the Pre either. I've tried filecoaster and WebOSQuickInstall 2.6
    The other day all I wanted to do was 'rename' a file. The file was located in the 'media' partition. That is the partition that we see when we hook up our Pre's via USB to our computers. right?

I also know that Jason has crippled Internalz from doing very dangerous things that can get most novices users (and I am willing to put myself in that class, even though I've had Unix and worked in tech support for years) into big trouble.

Is it possible to allow us to at least 'rename' a file in the media partition?

Thanks!

Rob

And yes, I know I can hook up my Pre and do it from my computer. I wasn't near a computer and just wanted to fix something fast and all I needed to do was rename a file.
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

8.    #328  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    The other day all I wanted to do was 'rename' a file. The file was located in the 'media' partition. That is the partition that we see when we hook up our Pre's via USB to our computers. right?

I also know that Jason has crippled Internalz from doing very dangerous things that can get most novices users (and I am willing to put myself in that class, even though I've had Unix and worked in tech support for years) into big trouble.

Is it possible to allow us to at least 'rename' a file in the media partition?

Thanks!

Rob

And yes, I know I can hook up my Pre and do it from my computer. I wasn't near a computer and just wanted to fix something fast and all I needed to do was rename a file.
    I do allow file write/delete access in all of /media/internal/ and /var/. The reason you can't rename yet is because that isn't implemented yet. Next version it'll be in the file Info panel
    any guestimates as to when that next version could grace our unworthy little screens. I mean, I'm sure you could just use one of your 10 coding hands to ready it right on up. Seriously though, just judging by the speed of other devs progress, since I'm not a programmer, I don't know how you keep up. But you do.

if your response is "its ready when its good and d*#n ready", I understand. Thanks either way. Internalz, together w/terminal by far the most valuable resource on my pre.
    where in Internalz can I look for the default contact picture? I am trying to change the file for contacts in my phone without a pic.
    would there be any way to install patches using internalz. I would like to download patches through my phone and then install them with internalz only for those patches that are not found available via preware
  12.    #332  
    Yea, patching is in the works along with many other features
    awesome I can't wait.
    what about a way to unzip? Lol
    I'm exited
  14.    #334  
    Quote Originally Posted by fritos1406 View Post
    awesome I can't wait.
    what about a way to unzip? Lol
    I'm exited
    yep that too
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Awesome!!! can one of the new features be multiply file selections for moving/copying oh please please
    SECURITY VULNERABILITY ALERT.

Allowing patches to be installed over the air from a random location on the internet will open up an untrusted privilege escalation path to malicious Linux root access and put people at significant risk of social engineering attacks.

I would strongly advise against it, and from my discussions with Palm Security folks, they would also.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  17.    #337  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I would strongly advise against it, and from my discussions with Palm Security folks, they would also.
    I didn't mean from ota, I meant from within the file browser, aka the user has already chosen to manually save the file to the Pre. And even then, it'd follow the WebOS-Internals, so it's be completely undo-able by multiple ways
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 10/24/2009 at 05:08 PM.
    I didn't mean from ota, I meant from within the file browser, aka the user has already chosen to manually save the file to the Pre. And even then, it'd follow the WebOS-Internals, so it's be completely undo-able by multiple ways
    "Hi, I've got this great new patch available on my cracks-are-us.ru website which improves the performance of your Pre by 200% and fixes the repeating 1.2.1 updates problem and allows you to have a million cards open at once.

You just have to download this patch file, and install it using Internalz ..."

This is the scenario I am concerned about. There is no anti-malware safety net on the Pre. It doesn't matter whether a patch can be removed cleanly or not, once it's on the device it can be sending all your keystrokes (including the password to your internet banking site) back to the botnet ...

The layers of defence (and yes, they are not perfect) that we have at the moment is that all patches added to Preware are reviewed for security by people that have a long and reasonably trusted association with the Pre homebrew community, and all installations of patches via Preware give the option for the user to view the script which installs the patch, and all patch files are available for public review in a public git repository. We consider this to be enough layers of review and deterrent to minimize the risk to an acceptable level.

If you remove those layers of defence, you are left with no defence at all. That is not an acceptable level of risk.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    "Hi, I've got this great new patch available on my cracks-are-us.ru website which improves the performance of your Pre by 200% and fixes the repeating 1.2.1 updates problem and allows you to have a million cards open at once.

You just have to download this patch file, and install it using Internalz ..."

This is the scenario I am concerned about. There is no anti-malware safety net on the Pre. It doesn't matter whether a patch can be removed cleanly or not, once it's on the device it can be sending all your keystrokes (including the password to your internet banking site) back to the botnet ...

The layers of defence (and yes, they are not perfect) that we have at the moment is that all patches added to Preware are reviewed for security by people that have a long and reasonably trusted association with the Pre homebrew community, and all installations of patches via Preware give the option for the user to view the script which installs the patch, and all patch files are available for public review in a public git repository. We consider this to be enough layers of review and deterrent to minimize the risk to an acceptable level.

If you remove those layers of defence, you are left with no defence at all. That is not an acceptable level of risk.

-- Rod
    While I think we all (or at least I) totally appreciate all your work to make the Pre experience the best and safest experience possible, jason already allows .patch installations via webOS Quick Install... so how is what he is suggesting for Internalz any different? If you think that this is really a big issue, wouldn't we need Jason to remove this functionality from webOS QI...not that I am suggesting that, just playing devil's advocate.
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    Personally speaking, I am fine putting a hole in the ground knowing some ******* will fall in it. :-P

lol, sorry.