07/25/2009, 03:32 PM
we have started a new thread for WebOS Quick Install. Please continue any discussion here.
WebOS Quick Install v2.03
This program is intended for use with WebOS applications that are in-testing, which under section 4.2 of the Palm SDK License Agreement allows for such unapproved applications to be installed on Palm devices. Applications installed with WebOS Quick Install have not be tested by Palm and are installed at your own risk.
This program is freeware, but not opensource. Feel free to share it with other testing forums.
I can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you contact me, or post in this thread to contact me, you must also include the following information:
- Device: are you using a Palm Pre or the emulator
- Operating System (include 32bit or 64bit)
- Have you followed my troubleshooting guide completely
I will be ignore emails/posts that don't follow that format.
Donations are appreciated as I'm just one person developing this app during my spare time.
Here's my brief Setup Guide.
Please read my Troubleshooting Guide before posting in this thread.
- WebOSDoctor recovery rom
- As of v1.2, WebOSQuickInstall can download and setup WebOSDoctor's file for you.
- Do not run WebOSDoctor, or you may inadvertently erase your device to WebOS 1.03 factory settings
- If you want to download it on your own, Sprint download here, Bell download here (use either if you're just using emulator) and copy that .jar file to the same folder as WebOSQuickInstall.jar
- Java 1.6
- For Mac OS X, once you've installed Java 1.6, run /Application/Utilities/Java/Java Preferences. Then click and drag Jave SE 6 to top of both list, and exit the program. This will set Java 1.6 as the default version to use.
- Novacom - As of v1.1, this now gets setup through WebOS Quick Install.
- You can manually install Novacom by going in WebOSQuickInstall and in the menu File->Options, then press the "Attempt Novacom (re)installation" button.
- If you have issues and you're on Windows, try following these instructions (even if you aren't on Windows 7).
- For Linux, try downloading the Novacom file here.
- DevMode enabled
- This can be done by typing "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart", opening the DeveloperMode app, and enabling the feature.
Lastly, when you plug in the device, if you want to use WebOS Quick Install, choose the "Just Charge" option on the device.
Running WebOS Quick Install
- Simply double-click WebOSQuickInstall.jar and (as long as Java is installed properly) it will launch
- Stylish easy-to-use GUI.
- Cross-platform support (Windows, Mac OS X, Linux).
- Supports postinst and prerm scripts.
- Tweaks panel for OS customization on a deeper level.
- Supports standard ipkg feeds.
- No Linux knowledge required.
- No rooting required (or whatever getting-access-to-root setup is now called).
- Support for multiple ipk file transfers.
- Support for adding files both via filechooser popup and by dragging and dropping files onto the transfer queue.
- Works with both USB-connected WebOS devices and the WebOS emulator.
- Ability to hide/make visible the DevMode application in the launcher.
- Full device information section.
- Management of user-installed applications. Lists all user-installed applications and gives the option to uninstall those applications.
- Send and receive files to and from a WebOS device.
- Support for custom .ipk installations.
- Quick-access link to the PreCentral homebrew forums.
- Handy usage panel that explains the earlier-mentioned requirements.
v2.03 - August 31, 09
- Added "Change launcher opacity" mod
- Added "Spoof iPhone user agent" mod
- Updated email landscape mod for better compatibility
- Changed dialpad vibration tweak to last 200ms each (was 250ms)
- Fixed 4x4 icons mod for app names overlap
- Updated messaging landscape mod with added avatar selection
v2.02 - August 29, 09
- Added Bell WebOSDoctor support
- Fixed "Download in Web Browser" mod
- Changed the "5x4 Icon" mod to a "4x4 Icon" mod
- Added 8 new system mods to the Tweaks panel
v2.01 - August 18, 09
- Fixed postinst script support
- Updated 5x4 launcher icons mod to properly format long app names
- Fixed Send File feature
v2.0 - August 15, 09
- Slightly altered some button graphics
- Internal code completely reworked
- Added standard ipkg feed support with a few (including PreCentral's) built in
- Added a Tweaks panel with many useful mods
- Added postinst and prerm script support
- Device Management gives more detailed installed-applications information
v1.4 - August 1, 09
- Fixed Send File
- Fixed Receive File
- Fixed Custom .ipk Install
- Fixed DevMode unhide option
- Added Delete File/Directory
v1.35 - July 30, 09
- Add support for custom .ipk installations
- Improved DevMode hide/unhide option to no longer require device reset
v1.3 - July 29, 09
- Many Mac/Linux bugfixes
- Minor internal code changes
v1.25 - July 29, 09
- Fixed NullPointerException preventing program launch for some
- Fixed downloading routine. Will no longer corrupt the downloaded file.
- Added button in options to (re)install Novacom.
- Added panic button in options that will launch WebOSDoctor.
v1.2 -July 28, 09
- Linux/Mac issues are fixed.
- Added ability to grab files off the WebOS device
- Now downloads WebOSDoctor itself, for easier installation
v1.1 - July 26, 09
- Now requires you to download Recovery ROM
- Better Novacom driver handling
- Added first-time setup
- Retrieve file functionality
v1.0 - July 25, 09
- Initial release
Special thanks to the beta testers who helped along the development road the past few weeks. Especially thanks to Dieter of PreCentral, Philip of PreThinking, Ken of WebOSHelp.net, Rod of WebOS-Internals, D94, and David Wales. This app wouldn't be what it is without you guys