Page 62 of 184 FirstFirst ... 1252575859606162636465666772112162 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 3676
Like Tree10Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Beestinga View Post
    question:
    is it cool to update the Package Manager Service via Preware?

Additionally, can preware itself be updated via preware in the future? I really hate having to go into the next room to unplug my usb cable from my touchstone and the wall to plug my (wi-fi enabled, bluetooth enabled) cell phone into my laptop.
    At the moment, it's still best to use WebOS Quick Install to update Preware and the Package Manager Service.

We're working on Preware being able to update itself before we get to 1.0.0

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    thx for the quick response, Rod. It shows an update for each right now (pkg manager service and preware). I'll just let those chill for a while until I can get home and update manually.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nastinupe View Post
    Ok... I hate to *****, but this **** is just stupid. I bought this damn phone to make my life easier, not sit here for hours trying to figure out how to down load an app to down load an app to down load an app to up load an app to erase my damn phone to down load an app.

All I have accomplished is ****ing up my phone, erasing my pictures, losing my FB connections that took me hours to connect.

WTF, its a damn app, not computer programming. I see freaking 7 year olds down loading apps on other phones, why must I risk destroying my personal computer and phone with beta **** just to down load a calorie counter?

Now I feel like an ***** because I have went backwards and have to spend time reconfiguring my damn phone tomorrow.

Maybe you guys enjoy spending time tinkering with a phone all night, but I have a damn job and need my free time for my family and children. I don't see how in the hell you can sit here and get excited about screwing up your phones just to down load tetris. This is freaking stupid!!!
    If you have any difficulty figuring out exactly how that works, you're not to be trusted with sharp objects or your own money.
    Anti iPhone wallpapers for your Palm Pre
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...allpapers.html

Palm Pre X-Ray App
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...amera-app.html

“Smile! It's irritates people.”
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    Sorry new to this whole Quick Install thing.
    I have Win7 RC1 OS and followed the directions on the web. Also I installed Java 1.6 new and then downloaded the .jar file and also the webdoctor.jar and put in the same folder. BUT now everytime I run the quickinstall.jar file all it does is say it needs to download webdoctor to run....did i miss something?

HELP!!! Guess I need someone to hold my little hand and walk across the street....i feel so dumb.

Thanks, and btw great work...love that there is a chance of not rooting and get all the customization I like.
    Do you have webdr and Quick Install in the same folder? If not, please do so.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Do you have webdr and Quick Install in the same folder? If not, please do so.
    When installing I took the Instructions from the Win7 install Wiki. so downloaded the WebOS image they talked about. Unzipped it and extracted to a folder on my computer called "My Files" then put the registry fix and the Palm Inc in the x64 Program Files folder. Put the WebDoctor in the folder in My Files where you see the rest like Resources and along with Quick Install.

I tried opening the WebDoctor folder and it looks the same as the WebOS image folder, so do i need to back Quick Install up one level to be on the same dir level?

I also have the Mojo SDK installed in the x86 Program Files folder...not sure if that matters, and virtual box installed too. Mainly from when I first tried a month or so ago to do the SDK on Win7 and it didnt work.

Will try a few things tonight when i get home, thanks for any insight.
    Whatever... there's posts upon posts about people having issues with these downloads so don't make it seem like it's just me.

Besides, I was able to get every thing to down load on my computer and my phone. Everything went as stated, but there's no apps.

All I am saying is that these processes should be simplified to a few clicks. I understand unlocking your phone, but other than that, I am just not feeling this phone's interface. I miss the simplicity of the Treo's 755 sync cord. I miss having the Palm desk top, I don't understand why Palm would want to upload information to a server. It's just all things to make things more difficult than it has to be.

I can tell by reading a lot of you guys posts that these types of activities aren't new to you. Everyone has a passion and I apologize for disrespecting that. It's not about me having a family and stuff, but more so, me not being one to mess with my phone to this level. However, I am into cars and the stuff I do with superchargers and turbos and MAP sensors and tuning, you may consider "over the top" because it's just a car, you put a key in it a go.

So just like people in the automotive industry say something like, I wish that the Miata had more horse power, there's always going to be that group that says, well if you want more hp, then put on a turbo, beef up the suspension, change out the fly wheel, MAP sensors, bore the engine, etc. But that's not the majority of people, most people want to by the car the way that they want it. They don't want to have to spend countless hours and money making the car into something that it wasn't from conception.

Heck, I know people who are the same way about their homes, you have some that swear buy buying something relatively new and others that want and old house that they can gut and rebuild. I feel like, if you're going to gut the house, why not just buy a new one, but hey, that's them.

So back to this phone. I just realized last night through my ranting that going through all these steps wasn't something that I want to do. And yes, you do have to erase the phone's memory to do this and lose your photo's and stuff. And now my facebook won't reload onto my phone. So I'm just frustrated because I spent hours getting my phone the way I want it and now I have to spend more time just to get it back to normal... and it's just a phone.

But I guess that brings me to my over all frustration with this phone. I feel like the phone was falsely advertised. It doesn't even have a facebook application, it doesn't have yahoo IM, MSN IM, it doesn't do facebook IM, it doesn't do a lot of stuff that I thought that it should do (because the Treo 755 did it). It's like when Palm cleaned the slate... they cleaned it completely and left out some great stuff that the Treo used to do, like color code the calender on month mode or have categories for your contacts or have pre typed text messages on call. The treo had a louder speaker, more ring tones and more options. It was easier to cut and paste, just so many little things that I feel like I went backwards on. When I owned my Treo, I never once felt like I needed to go to find non Palm apps to just get the phone to work normally. I never had phone envy and wish that my phone did x y and z.

So although the Pre was a big step forward, I also see it as a big step back. I may be moving on to a blackberry, seems to have the detail in execution that the Treo had me expect.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    When installing I took the Instructions from the Win7 install Wiki. so downloaded the WebOS image they talked about. Unzipped it and extracted to a folder on my computer called "My Files" then put the registry fix and the Palm Inc in the x64 Program Files folder. Put the WebDoctor in the folder in My Files where you see the rest like Resources and along with Quick Install.

I tried opening the WebDoctor folder and it looks the same as the WebOS image folder, so do i need to back Quick Install up one level to be on the same dir level?

I also have the Mojo SDK installed in the x86 Program Files folder...not sure if that matters, and virtual box installed too. Mainly from when I first tried a month or so ago to do the SDK on Win7 and it didnt work.

Will try a few things tonight when i get home, thanks for any insight.
    What I did is simply place both WebOS Quick Install and Webdoctor in the same folder on my desktop and that's how I run it.

Just a side note: You don't need to run Webdoctor (leave it alone unless you want to put your Pre back to the stock image (fresh out of the box condition).

Just run WEbOSQuickInstall.jar

Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    ...stuff...
    I think the problem is that your rant came across as, to use your analogy, *****ing at the modders for a miata not having enough hp. I'm not sure if this was your original gripe or not, but it's not a car modder's job to wrap up a nice little button that you can press that'll install a chevy big block crate engine into your miata.

If you're simply complaining that the palm app store should be useful, then sure - you're right. It's ****ty that they released an incomplete product, but these are the breaks. Your original post didn't convey that very well, though. What you seemed to convey is "it's your fault that it's not easier for me to mod my phone."

I think your car tweaking metaphor is a good one, and it fits here. If you can't take the heat, then stay out of the kitchen.
  9.    #1229  
    Whatever... there's posts upon posts about people having issues with these downloads so don't make it seem like it's just me.
    The only issues I've seen with WebOSDoctor downloads is from certain OSes, like MacOS. Even in those cases, 99% can be resolved by manually downloading the WebOSDoctor.jar file, as mentioned on post #1, same section as the warning not to run WeboSDoctor.jar in fact! Those who read, learn.

Besides, I was able to get every thing to down load on my computer and my phone. Everything went as stated, but there's no apps.
    What do you mean there's no apps? Do you mean because you whiped your device's memory you haven't installed any new apps, or do you mean there's no apps available, in which case, a simple click of the Download button in WebOSQuickInstall will hook you up with 160+ apps you can download in a click of a button.

All I am saying is that these processes should be simplified to a few clicks. I understand unlocking your phone, but other than that, I am just not feeling this phone's interface. I miss the simplicity of the Treo's 755 sync cord. I miss having the Palm desk top, I don't understand why Palm would want to upload information to a server. It's just all things to make things more difficult than it has to be.
    Palm made it clear a while ago they want all the stable WebOS apps at a centralized location, aka the App Catalog, so users do have to go from website to website to find a single program, something the PalmOS was really bad for. Sideloading was never something Palm intending to happen and it's been fueled entirely by the homebrew community.

The most difficult part of WebOS Quick Install is its initial setup. That really says something about how easy and streamlined I've made the installation process. Sure some users may have difficulty with initial setup, but I've setup a Troubleshooting guide and have personally helped countless people get their setup working in this thread, via email, and via IM. My app is in no way sponsored by Palm. I make this app in my spare time, release it as freeware, and I don't even have a Pre myself yet. Appreciate what's available for the WebOS; it's a 1.0 product after all. Don't expect *****-proof installation; some basic grade 2 reading skills are required for reading post #1.

I can tell by reading a lot of you guys posts that these types of activities aren't new to you. Everyone has a passion and I apologize for disrespecting that. It's not about me having a family and stuff, but more so, me not being one to mess with my phone to this level. However, I am into cars and the stuff I do with superchargers and turbos and MAP sensors and tuning, you may consider "over the top" because it's just a car, you put a key in it a go.

So just like people in the automotive industry say something like, I wish that the Miata had more horse power, there's always going to be that group that says, well if you want more hp, then put on a turbo, beef up the suspension, change out the fly wheel, MAP sensors, bore the engine, etc. But that's not the majority of people, most people want to by the car the way that they want it. They don't want to have to spend countless hours and money making the car into something that it wasn't from conception.
    Exactly. If you aren't prepared to actually read the instructions attached to the first post, where you downloaded the app, then you should avoid the homebrew scene. Wait for the official app catalog to update and exit beta this fall. The majority of the homebrew apps will probably transition to it then anyways.

So back to this phone. I just realized last night through my ranting that going through all these steps wasn't something that I want to do. And yes, you do have to erase the phone's memory to do this and lose your photo's and stuff. And now my facebook won't reload onto my phone. So I'm just frustrated because I spent hours getting my phone the way I want it and now I have to spend more time just to get it back to normal... and it's just a phone.
    No, you do not have to erase your phone's data to get webos quick install to work. In fact, I greatly discourage using WebOSDoctor; it's just that WebOS Quick Install uses it as a java library to access WebOS devices, thus why it needs to be in the same folder. Palm does backup much of your setting, you may want to consider restoring from that. And if you mean the Facebook bookmark, it's just x.facebook.com in the browser.

But I guess that brings me to my over all frustration with this phone. I feel like the phone was falsely advertised. It doesn't even have a facebook application, it doesn't have yahoo IM, MSN IM, it doesn't do facebook IM, it doesn't do a lot of stuff that I thought that it should do (because the Treo 755 did it).
    They never advertised a facebook app, they advertised facebook integration, which is tightly done. And chances are within the next year we'll see a Facebook app of some sort. MSN, Yahoo will also probably come to the WebOS in some form in the next year, though, again, this was not an advertised feature.

It's like when Palm cleaned the slate... they cleaned it completely and left out some great stuff that the Treo used to do, like color code the calender on month mode or have categories for your contacts or have pre typed text messages on call. The treo had a louder speaker, more ring tones and more options. It was easier to cut and paste, just so many little things that I feel like I went backwards on. When I owned my Treo, I never once felt like I needed to go to find non Palm apps to just get the phone to work normally. I never had phone envy and wish that my phone did x y and z.
    It's not the PalmOS, and that's a good thing. The PalmOS was greatly outdated. The WebOS is a 1.0 product and has never stated being otherwise. If you want an outdated, albeit, 5th generation product, stay with the Treo 755p.

So although the Pre was a big step forward, I also see it as a big step back. I may be moving on to a blackberry, seems to have the detail in execution that the Treo had me expect.
    As previously stated, the Pre is a 1.0 product, treat it as such.
    @nastinupe. Return your pre and get a blackberry. This phone is not for you...
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    hey jason....ur the only one that i havent donated to yet....is there a link i can donate....bc from all the apps....urs has to be the top of the line!!

Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    Page 1
    The Donate Button is also available from the "About" screen inside the WebOS Quick Install.

PS- Thanks maxima2k53 for the reminder! Jumped to the donate page myself!
    Irish
    Is there a version 2.1 out? I saw someone mention it in a txt forwarding thread...
  13.    #1233  
    Quote Originally Posted by schott1984 View Post
    Is there a version 2.1 out? I saw someone mention it in a txt forwarding thread...
    v2.01 is the current version. If you wanting the TXT forward mod, you'll need to wait a few days for v2.02
    Any peeks at what other updates it will have?
    Quote Originally Posted by schott1984 View Post
    Any peeks at what other updates it will have?
    Seriously?? Did you not read the thread posts already? Check out Post 1124 ( http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ml#post1847310) where he lists the updated tweaks:

For those interested, here's my revised list of new Tweaks for v2.02:
    - Updated "Downloading In Browser" (youtube/email compatibility)
    - 5x4 icons in launcher pages changed to 4x4
    - Message Fowarding
    - Roam Only control
    - Extend minimum brightness setting
    - Battery %
    - Show Call Duration in the Call Log
    - Turn off dial pad sounds, with option to add vibration feedback
    - Allow email app in landscape
    Sweet deal, thanks! No, I did not read every post in 62 pages, but I could have looked for it in posts since the release of 2.01 I suppose... My bad.
    Yes, v. 2.01 of WebOS Quick Install
    Latest version of Java
    Using Pre
    32 bit OS
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Jason, could you please shed some light on the issue regarding 32bit Macs and the lack of Java 1.6? Thanks.
  19.    #1239  
    Quote Originally Posted by fugm View Post
    Jason, could you please shed some light on the issue regarding 32bit Macs and the lack of Java 1.6? Thanks.
    That you'll have to take up with Apple. Apple decides which Macs get Java 6 update and which don't.

One alternative for some Macs is SoyLatte: SoyLatte - Port of BSD Java

It's not like Java 1.6 is new. In fact Java 1.5 is reached its end-of-life point way back April 8, 2008 and will be unsupported by Sun as of this October 30, 2009.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccdoss View Post
    Can ANYONE help me? I've asked and asked the same thing and still haven't gotten a response. I've followed just about every suggestion for troubleshooting on here. Novacom simply refuses to work for me. Yes, I've done the orca jar modification.

I'm running Windows XP, 32-bit system.

I went to the command prompt and typed "novacom -l". I get "failed to connect to server"

When I try to install novacom, I get
    "ControlService Failed
    Service Removed"

Path to executable:

C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc\novacom\x86\novacomd.exe

Checked Windows File explorer, and that path is indeed there.

Checked in Add/Remove programs, and Novacomd is back there (meaning my reinstall worked...it did nothing before, I guess because novacom was already there).

Checked the version and it is Novacom Palm 1.0.33

Please help. I can't install anything or do any developing.
    I will try to help. I normally run Windows 7 RTM - but decided to try to assist you by installing WebOS Quick Install on another PC here running Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 3. The installation went completely fine. I did see a prompt, possibly from the Windows Firewall or some security program asking to allow novacomd to access the internet. I did so. Other than that the installation was flawless. By the way, I DID NOT install the SDK. That software is not required to get WebOS Quick Install running.

So, to your problem - novacomd is apparently not running on your machine and you have removed and reinstalled it at least once. Please bring up a command console / Prompt (we used to call that an MSDOS window back in the old days). Enter the following commands and report your results:

sc qc novacomd

sc query novacomd

Here are the results of those commands for comparison with your results:

C:\>sc qc novacomd
    [SC] GetServiceConfig SUCCESS

SERVICE_NAME: novacomd
    TYPE : 10 WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
    START_TYPE : 2 AUTO_START
    ERROR_CONTROL : 1 NORMAL
    BINARY_PATH_NAME : C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc\novacom\x86\novacomd.exe

LOAD_ORDER_GROUP :
    TAG : 0
    DISPLAY_NAME : Palm Novacom
    DEPENDENCIES :
    SERVICE_START_NAME : LocalSystem

C:\>sc query novacomd

SERVICE_NAME: novacomd
    TYPE : 10 WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
    STATE : 4 RUNNING
    (STOPPABLE,NOT_PAUSABLE,IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)
    WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
    SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
    CHECKPOINT : 0x0
    WAIT_HINT : 0x0

C:\>