Page 6 of 184 FirstFirst 12345678910111656106 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Arodmx View Post
    I had the same problem and I fix it reading some more threds on this web page.
    you probably need to do the same thing as I try this.
    Click START
    - Run
    Type “Services.msc” and hit enter

At this point a large list of programs will appear. Scroll through until you find the following:

Palm Novacom
    right click it and make sure you select the start option.
    Then try to load the ipk file on the quick web os software again and install it,
    I solved my problem doing this, fyi when you finish installing the apps make sure you do the same thing but this time select stop then you can safely disconect your phone from your computer.
    Hope this help for you. I work for me.
    well the Palm novacom drivers were already running and set to automatic, but i got the Pre to work.

Im not sure what it was, but i took it out of Dev Mode and left it for 12hours, put it back in Dev Mode and connected it, and it worked. I have no idea what it was, but i didnt reboot my computer or anything like that, just the Pre.

That was it! Thanks...
    i also just rooted it..good work to everybody whose been working on this stuff, it works perfectly for me now.

now i can install any application i want, and My Tether works perfectly
    Wow...this was much easier than I thought. Thanks for WebOS Quick Install!
    Great work!!
    Is there a limit of Apps you can put on the Pre? I have a bunch of apps installed but now it tells me I have run out of memory, delete some programs to free up space and I did and it work, but now I try too install more programs they do not install. I have plenty of space.
    I'm having some problems getting this running. I believe it is the same problem as I have had when trying to install homebrew apps the old way - dragging and dropping the .ipk onto the install option in the SDK folder.

When I try to install a .ipk, it gives me this error:
    "Error 1: Connection refused: connect"
    "ERROR: No devices found."

My device is connected and is in developer mode.

I believe this is the problem: When I go to services.msc and try to start novacom, it gives me this error:

"Windows could not start the Palm Novacom service on Local Computer.

Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified."

I then went and I found novacomd.exe, double clicked it, it says that it is starting novacom, closes, but the installer still does not work.

Could somebody please help me?

Thank you!
    Wow that was the easiest thing I've ever done with trying to get App.s installed on this phone. Thank You so much and I will be sending you a bit of change for such awsome work.
    Last edited by YBCold; 07/26/2009 at 09:04 PM.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    running vist, won't install...I tried you javaw.exe, nothing worked. phone is in dev mode, got pre on just charge, double click on org.jdesktop.application file.and got same message as loonytunes.
  10.    #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by Knee Dragger View Post
    I uninstalled filecoaster straight from the Pre and tried to reinstall it. When trying to reinstall it by dragging the ipk file in palm-install.bat the command box (black box) only came up for a split second and seemed to not install anything. I then tried to uninstall it straight from the command box with no luck. The OP and creator of this program gave me the following info ( palm-install -d usb c:\path\to\ipk ) to type in the command box to uninstall it but it does not work (see image).

I think I have to completely uninstall the program before I can reinstall?? I cant seem to complete this task. Can anyone help me out?
    File Coaster is a completely separate program for this (and not made by me). Try posting in a different thread and you may get a bit more help. Or you could just use my app to install FileCoaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    File Coaster is a completely separate program for this (and not made by me). Try posting in a different thread and you may get a bit more help. Or you could just use my app to install FileCoaster
    Sorry about that
    There is no spoon
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loonytunes View Post
    Got it to work! Woo Hoo!! For those getting errors like I did when you tried to download the file, click on "email attachment" instead of the .jar itself. I downloaded the file through the email, and it worked instantly. For some reason clicking on the .jar will download a "download" file attachment. When you get it through email, it is the .jar
    When you download it directly, just change the extension of the file from .download to .jar. Windows will give you a warning about making the file unstable. Just click ok.

Then Windows recognizes it as a java archive
    Palm V -->m505 -->Tungsten T3-->T5->Centro-->Pre!
  13.    #113  
    ATTENTION ALL

I've updated to v1.1. For legal concerns I've had to alter my code a bit to download WebOSDoctor. Instructions on how to download it are in the new app. I've updated the first post with the new version.

Impromptu FAQS Listing
    I've unzipped the file, what do I do next?
    Nothing! Don not, I repeat, DO NOT, unzip the .jar file. The nature of a JAR file is that it is both an archive and an executable program. We only wanna use the executable program aspect.

How do I run the program?
    If Java is installed properly, all you'll need to do is double-click and the program will launch.

I've doubled-clicked and it still won't launch
    Chances are Java didn't install properly (maybe some firewall or antivirus interferred). You can download Java here and try re-installing. If you still can't double-click to launch the app, read this very nice article on how you can get it to work.

I'm on a Mac and the program won't start
    As stated on post 1, for Mac OS X, run /Application/Utilities/Java/Java Preferences. Then click and drag Jave SE 6 to top of both list, and exit the program. This will set Java 1.6 as the default version to use.

When I download the program, it's downloaded as a .download file and even renaming it to .jar won't get it to work.
    EDIT: As psm9 puts it "When you download it directly, just change the extension of the file from .download to .jar. Windows will give you a warning about making the file unstable. Just click ok." Is you still can't get it to run, email me.

I've installed v1.1 and still can't get connection to my device.
    There are a number of cause that could get this to happen.
    • First and foremost, make sure DevMode is enabled and that when you plugin the device, you choose "Just Charge"
    • Novacom may not be installed. V1.1 should help in this matter, but for Windows 7 you'll need for follow these instructions and for Linux you'll need to download Novacom from here.
    • As of WebOS Quick Install v1.35, you can go on the menu File->Options and click a button to (re)install Novacom there.
    • On Windows, it's possible Novacom may be installed but not active (possibly firewall or antivirus interference)
      • Go StartMenu->Run... and enter "services.msc" and hit "OK"
      • Look for an entry "Palm Novacom" and double click
      • Press the "Start" button if you can and for "Startup type:" choose "Automatic" (A restart may be required)

Oh, and one last reminder, in WebOS Quick Install, on the menu go File->Options and make sure the device you want to use us selected.
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 08/01/2009 at 04:58 PM.
    Yeah, I'm on Windows 7 and will be waiting for some auto installer...methinks this is too high tech for a low speed guy like me, although I would like to try some of the apps...

Oh well...
    My Pre
    web0S 1.1
    Non-rooted

My Comp OS
    Vista Home Prem
    SDK Installed
    Novacomm working

Problem
    So i had a bunch of homebrews installed on my pre. Then this easy install came out. So i deleted all my homebrews and downloaded all the .ipk's (minus rooting required app) from the forum list to reinstall in order to have the lastest version of every app. So i used "QuickInstall" and it seemed to work fine. But only some of the apps showed up and I can't install anymore including any from the app catalog. So i partial reset my phone a couple of times but it just keeps repeating. So now i have partial reset so i am working from a clean slate. Why will it only let me install a certain number of apps? I get "install failed" from the app catalog and the other apps seem to install according to the "QuickInstall" but don't show up in the launcher. Please help!

Thanks in advance
  16.    #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by mreddy View Post
    My Pre
    web0S 1.1
    Non-rooted

My Comp OS
    Vista Home Prem
    SDK Installed
    Novacomm working

Problem
    So i had a bunch of homebrews installed on my pre. Then this easy install came out. So i deleted all my homebrews and downloaded all the .ipk's (minus rooting required app) from the forum list to reinstall in order to have the lastest version of every app. So i used "QuickInstall" and it seemed to work fine. But only some of the apps showed up and I can't install anymore including any from the app catalog. So i partial reset my phone a couple of times but it just keeps repeating. So now i have partial reset so i am working from a clean slate. Why will it only let me install a certain number of apps? I get "install failed" from the app catalog and the other apps seem to install according to the "QuickInstall" but don't show up in the launcher. Please help!
    Try checking the Device Management part of my program. Are the apps all showing up? It's possible there's an app limit, but I haven't heard of any. How many apps do you have installed?
    maybe im missing it, but whats new in v1.1 besides the load up where it asks which device you want to use (USB or Emulator) and the part where Jason R. said that the new one would help with the Device not found error?
  18.    #118  
    I also switched to having to get the user to download the WebOSDoctor recovery rom and ask them to put that file in the same folder as my program. This was done as a legal pre-caution and allows better novacom handling.

Other than that no new features. If you have 1.0 working and don't wanna update, ya don't have to. (though future versions will probably have new features).
    Wow! This is probably one of the best homebrew apps yet! Thanks!!
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    WebOS Quick Install v1.1

This program is intended for use with WebOS applications that are in-testing, which under section 4.2 of the Palm SDK License Agreement allows for such unapproved applications to be installed on Palm devices. Applications installed with WebOS Quick Install have not be tested by Palm and are installed at your own risk.

This program is freeware, but not opensource. Feel free to share it with other testing forums.

I can be contacted at support@canuck-software.ca
    Also, if you'd like to help support this and my future software development efforts, I have a donation link setup on my website.

Enjoy! :-)

I've posted a FAQ listing here

Requirements
    • Java 1.6
      • For Mac OS X, once you've installed Java 1.6, run /Application/Utilities/Java/Java Preferences. Then click and drag Jave SE 6 to top of both list, and exit the program. This will set Java 1.6 as the default version to use.

• Novacom - As of v1.1, this now gets setup through WebOS Quick Install.

• DevMode enabled
      • This can be done by typing "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart", opening the DeveloperMode app, and enabling the feature.

Lastly, when you plug in the device, if you want to use WebOS Quick Install, choose the "Just Charge" option on the device.

Features
    • Stylish easy-to-use GUI.
    • Cross-platform support (Windows, Mac OS X, Linux).
    • No Linux knowledge required.
    • No rooting required (or whatever getting-access-to-root setup is now called).
    • Support for multiple ipk file transfers.
    • Support for adding files both via filechooser popup and by dragging and dropping files onto the transfer queue.
    • Works with both USB-connected WebOS devices and the WebOS emulator.
    • Ability to hide/make visible the DevMode application in the launcher.
    • Full device information section.
    • Management of user-installed applications. Lists all user-installed applications and gives the option to uninstall those applications.
    • Custom file transfer. Transfers any user-chosen file to any directory on the Pre. Also supports drag and drop of a file from your computer to be transferred.
    • Quick-access link to the PreCentral homebrew forums.
    • Handy usage panel that explains the earlier-mentioned requirements.

Screenshots

ToDo
    - Add advanced ipkg handling
    - Add ipkg feed support
    - Add other app feed format support
    - Show app version # in Device Managment

ChangeLog
    v1.1 - July 26, 09
    - Now requires you to download Recovery ROM
    - Better Novacom driver handling
    - Added first-time setup
    v1.0 - July 25, 09
    - Initial release

Special thanks to the beta testers who helped along the development road the past few weeks. Especially thanks to Dieter of PreCentral, Philip of PreThinking, Ken of WebOSHelp.net, D94, and David Wales. This app wouldn't be what it is without you guys
    Installed emulator no problem everything runs. BTW on Vista 64 bit. When I try and run quick install it can not find device. When I plug Pre in it can not install novacom driver. I believe this is where the error is. i can not find a driver or any info in installing a 64bit driver for novacom. Anyobe have any ideas?