Page 54 of 184 FirstFirst ... 444495051525354555657585964104154 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 3676
Like Tree10Likes
    Quick question: We need to uncheck all of the tweaks before we update, the ones I have installed are the Add/Delete Page and Hiding the Nascar/NFL apps. I currently have 4 pages on my Pre, if I were to uncheck the Add/Delete Page, would I still have 4 pages? And do you think I would still be able to update my phone if I had 4 pages? Or would I have to go back down to 3?
    For mroony...

Hmmm. Looks like you are running a 64-bit version of Java on your Windows 7 machine. I am running WebOS Quick Install fine on Win7 RTM - but I don't have a 64-bit Java installed. The Palm SDK is not required but you do have to perform a custom installation of Novacom on that platform.

Here are the results of a couple commands entered into a command console window - your path to Java will be different:

C:\>java -version
    java version "1.6.0_15"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_15-b03)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 14.1-b02, mixed mode, sharing)

C:\>where java
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe
    I have a request, I think my first! I love everything the new WebOS Quick Install does, especially the tweaks stuff.

I added the extra Launcher pages feature and I like that it's accessible from the menu bar.

I tried the smaller icons, and I like that too but I changed it back because I thought it might be a little too small, and hard to choose the right app.

To undue the small icons, I had to go back to WebOs Quick Install to uncheck that box to get the normal size icons back.

My request: Is there a way to have this as a toggle feature from the Launcher Menu bar.

Something like, Icon Size: Regular or Normal, and then a choice for Smaller, or Mini or some such wording. And then I can toggle the feature without having to hook up the Pre and run WebOS Quick Install.

Is this a possible feature request?

Thank you!

Rob
    Last edited by rlanza1054; 08/24/2009 at 08:17 PM. Reason: spelling
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by rickets1 View Post
    I'm really computer illiterate, but why isn't there a shortcut placed on the desktop for the webos quick install? It seems that I have to login to this website and click the install for webos to start up.
    Yes, we Windows users are pretty accustomed to clicking on an icon to run a program. You could create an icon to point to the .jar file if you wish. Just hover your mouse cursor over the file, "WebOSQuickInstall.jar", then press your secondary mouse button (possibly your right mouse button). A small window pops up - choose "Send to" then choose "Desktop (create shortcut)". Now you will have an icon on your desktop to run WebOS Quick Install.

Of course users of UNIX/Linux based systems may be more accustomed to just double-clicking the .jar file on their machines. That works the same for us Windows users as well - we just aren't used to running programs that way.
    Im so frustrated with this darn program! I've done absolutely everything, and it wont work at all. And yes i've gone through all the troubleshooting and im very computer smart. I have turned on Dev Mode on the pre, I have the latest version of Java, JavaSE6 is at the top of my list under preferences. I have downloaded the Doctor program. I open the quick installer, add my ipk files and click install. It just says "connecting to device" for a long *** time then "host is down" followed by "no device found." I clicked just charge on the phone, same cable that came with the phone and its brand new. I tried file options and reinstall novacom and it does nothing, literally. USB is selected and if check off "show devmode app in the laun..." i get the host and no device errors once more. If its not checked off, nothing happens at all and nothing trys to reinstall. Im about to give up on this thing, its not working for me at all.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Novacom simply refuses to install for me. Everytime I try to install it, I get a message in a cmd box that says, "Controlservice failed. Service removed".

I'm using Windows XP on a 32-bit system.

What could cause this?
    Quote Originally Posted by junit0524 View Post
    Im so frustrated with this darn program! I've done absolutely everything, and it wont work at all. And yes i've gone through all the troubleshooting and im very computer smart. I have turned on Dev Mode on the pre, I have the latest version of Java, JavaSE6 is at the top of my list under preferences. I have downloaded the Doctor program. I open the quick installer, add my ipk files and click install. It just says "connecting to device" for a long *** time then "host is down" followed by "no device found." I clicked just charge on the phone, same cable that came with the phone and its brand new. I tried file options and reinstall novacom and it does nothing, literally. USB is selected and if check off "show devmode app in the laun..." i get the host and no device errors once more. If its not checked off, nothing happens at all and nothing trys to reinstall. Im about to give up on this thing, its not working for me at all.
    It sounds like you are running a mac and are encountering the same frustration I did...try downloading the sdk and virtualbox from the palm website, re-downloading the sdk worked for me...
    Quote Originally Posted by MortiseMaker View Post
    For mroony...

Hmmm. Looks like you are running a 64-bit version of Java on your Windows 7 machine. I am running WebOS Quick Install fine on Win7 RTM - but I don't have a 64-bit Java installed. The Palm SDK is not required but you do have to perform a custom installation of Novacom on that platform.

Here are the results of a couple commands entered into a command console window - your path to Java will be different:

C:\>java -version
    java version "1.6.0_15"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_15-b03)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 14.1-b02, mixed mode, sharing)

C:\>where java
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe
    Thank you for your help. I tried the commands you said. I am showing that I am running the exact version that you are... and my where java shows the same path. I was still able to do everything on my other XP machine, but I would really like to get it working on my main Laptop. So I am still searching for ideas.

EDIT - No 64-bit for either.
    Last edited by mroony; 08/24/2009 at 09:09 PM. Reason: forgot information
    Quote Originally Posted by mroony View Post
    Thank you for your help. I tried the commands you said. I am showing that I am running the exact version that you are... and my where java shows the same path. I was still able to do everything on my other XP machine, but I would really like to get it working on my main Laptop. So I am still searching for ideas.

EDIT - No 64-bit for either.
    Understood. No 64-bit for the Windows 7 and Java. Sorry, I was looking at your link to java that you indicated you had modified and did not see the (86) in the path, so incorrectly assumed that you were running the 64-bit version of Java. Just had the blinders on and thought your environment matched mine almost exactly.

I wonder if you could take a look at your PATH environment variable. If you do not currently have the path to \Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin in your path, perhaps that is causing the error you see. My path ends with: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin

If yours does not, perhaps you could try adding that manually and try running the program again.
    I know for Vista 32, you can't put it in the Programs folder since Vista has some protection about what can run from that folder. (Maybe unless you ran the program as administrator but I didn't try that). I have the program running from the C:\ directory.
    can anyone help i the installer doesnt detect my phone?!?!?!?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by DretheAce View Post
    Quick question: We need to uncheck all of the tweaks before we update, the ones I have installed are the Add/Delete Page and Hiding the Nascar/NFL apps. I currently have 4 pages on my Pre, if I were to uncheck the Add/Delete Page, would I still have 4 pages? And do you think I would still be able to update my phone if I had 4 pages? Or would I have to go back down to 3?
    In my experience (and I've tried several times) no, you would not still have 4 pages (you would return to the original 3). And before you ask, you would NOT lose any apps that you've installed onto the extra pages. My apps simply moved to their original positions on the original 3 pages that came stock with the Pre.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ram13890 View Post
    can anyone help i the installer doesnt detect my phone?!?!?!?!?
    Please provide the following, it'll be much easier to help you:

- Do you have the latest version of WebOS Quick INstall? (2.01)
    - Do you have the latest version of java? (Build 1.6)
    - Device: are you using a Palm Pre or the emulator
    - Operating System (include 32bit or 64bit)
    - Have you followed Jason's troubleshooting guide completely? (page 1 of this thread)
    Last edited by Achill3s; 08/25/2009 at 12:35 AM.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    i just installed everything yesterday
    and im useing palm pre and i downloaded the latest java........ how do i find out whats my operating system im kinda new at this.......
    and yes i have followed all of jasons......im to the point were i copied the downloaded file which is file coaster and then i click install but it says it hasent found me device and i have it conected as just charge like it said but it contiues to say device not found and it searches and i left it all night last night but nothing
  17.    #1077  
    Quote Originally Posted by bwbishop View Post
    Couldn't find the answer I was looking for in this long thread, so I'll ask again, forgive me.

I update everything, click on the webos quick install, it asks to download WebOS Doctor, downloads it, shows 100%, then after a few minutes the pop-up disappears and then nothing. Tried it on both of my computers with the same problem. What gives?
    Check to see if WebOSDoctor.jar downloaded correctedly. If now, manually download it (see first post for link) and put the .jar file in the same folder as WebOS Quick Install then run WebOS Quick Install

Quote Originally Posted by Charlemagne View Post
    Jason, I'm completely at a loss -- I've tried everything. (See this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-device-2.html). What should I do? Many, many thanks in advance.
    Go StartMenu->Run...->cmd.exe
    Then type: "java -version"
    and tell me what it says.
    Then, type "novacom -l"
    (that's a lowercase L by the way) and tell me what it says.

Quote Originally Posted by pebe98 View Post
    I believe I was lost in the fray of this rather busy forum, I apologize for asking again...
    Thank you for sharing your time and extraordinary talents!!!
    I'll look into this. Thanks for reporting this and sorry I missed this earlier.

now im stuck im waiting for the web os doctor to read my device and say next so i can move on
    Don't run WebOSDoctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Pre3P0 View Post
    I'm running windows vista and accidentally associated the file type with a program since i couldn't figure out how to open it.
    Now I'm stuck in the cycle of having to associate it with another program. I tried deleting webos quick install and re downloading it but it keeps opening it with a program instead of opening by itself.
    What can I do?
    Reinstall Java (post #1 has a link)

Quote Originally Posted by bjl95mustang View Post
    In the ipkg repository viewer (button under the - on the main screen) there is a drop down menu with different apps listed in it. Under webos-internals feed there are a few apps but I can't find any info on what these apps do. Yes, I looked on webos-internals and I could not fine anything when i searched.
    It's a direct feed to WebOS-Internals' ipkg repository, so there may be stuff there with no documentation available yet.

Quote Originally Posted by kkumar99 View Post
    I'm still getting the "no device detected" problem with my pre. The previous ...
    Open up Terminal
    Then, type "novacom -l"

Quote Originally Posted by mroony View Post

I had the same problem as others where .jar's had been associated with WinRAR (for me at least) so I associated it with \Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe I hope thats right. I tried removing and reinstalling hoping that Java would take back over the association but it didn't.
    Sounds like a Java issue. Try reinstalling (link in post #1)

So here's my tentative list of new Tweaks for v2.02:
    - Updated "Downloading In Browser"
    - Message Fowarding
    - Roam Only control
    - Extend minimum brightness setting
    - Battery %
    - Show Call Duration in the Call Log
    - Turn off dial pad sounds, with option to add vibration feedback
    - Allow email app in landscape
    and im useing palm pre and i downloaded the latest java........ how do i find out whats my operating system im kinda new at this.......

go to your system properties and it will list all the attributes, easiest way is hold the windows key and press the pause/break key or go to your my computer and right click and go to properties
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Check to see if WebOSDoctor.jar downloaded correctedly. If now, manually download it (see first post for link) and put the .jar file in the same folder as WebOS Quick Install then run WebOS Quick Install

Go StartMenu->Run...->cmd.exe
    Then, type "novacom -l"

I'll look into this. Thanks for reporting this and sorry I missed this earlier.

Don't run WebOSDoctor.

Reinstall Java (post #1 has a link)

It's a direct feed to WebOS-Internals' ipkg repository, so there may be stuff there with no documentation available yet.

Open up Terminal
    Then, type "novacom -l"

Sounds like a Java issue. Try reinstalling (link in post #1)

So here's my tentative list of new Tweaks for v2.02:
    - Updated "Downloading In Browser"
    - Message Fowarding
    - Roam Only control
    - Extend minimum brightness setting
    - Battery %
    - Show Call Duration in the Call Log
    - Turn off dial pad sounds, with option to add vibration feedback
    - Allow email app in landscape

Can't wait for this buddy, the quick install is awesome and well put together. Also very simple and easy to use. Keep up the good work, look forward to seeing the new version.
    damn! cant wait for 2.02