Page 38 of 184 FirstFirst ... 2833343536373839404142434888138 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    I had the same error 1 problem. I'm using windows 7. I started running the web os doctor without the pre connected and it installed the novacom driver. The following link helped me fix the error problem. Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals
    This directed me to install virtual box and the SDK. After that the quick install worked.
  2.    #742  
    Quote Originally Posted by tyea View Post
    I had the same error 1 problem. I'm using windows 7. I started running the web os doctor without the pre connected and it installed the novacom driver. The following link helped me fix the error problem. Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals
    This directed me to install virtual box and the SDK. After that the quick install worked.
    The link I mentioned in post #1 and the Troubleshooting Guide also so have worked (and save you the time of downloading the SDK: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...er-method.html
    This looks like a nice utility that you have worked on. I have a question which I think I know the answer on, but wanted to throw it out there to get some other people's feedback. I have already rooted my pre as this App was not available when I started. I have applied a few of the rooted patches, Add/Delete Launcher Pages, 5x4 icons and a few others that are not part of the Quick Install.

I am assuming that I can not simply use the Quick Install to apply these patches and let Quick Install maintain them for me since when I run the quick install, it does not recognize the patches as already being applied. Do they only work on a non-rooted untouched Pre? Or is there smarts built in that knows what needs to be changed and can handle an already modified system?

If this is the case, can I just pull the original files from the WebOSDoctor.jar file and then use the Quick Install to re-apply the patches and then it can manage them and remove them for me?

Any help and thoughts would be great,

Thanks,

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Under StartMenu->Run...->"services.msc"Is "Palm Novacom" there and running?* If so, right click it and choose "Properties". What's the "Path to executable:"?Also, what output do you get when you type in Command Prompt:
    Code:
    novacom -l
    (that's a lowercase "L" by the way)
    it is running
    Service Name: NovacomD
    Display name: Palm Novacom
    Description: Palm Novacom
    driverPath to executable:
    C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc\novacom\amd64\novacomd.exe
    Startup type: AutomaticS
    ervice status: Started

I may be misunderstanding your second question but I opened a command prompt window, typed novacom -l as well as novacom-l and got the same response:
    'novacom' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
    Last edited by mercyswake; 08/19/2009 at 10:57 AM. Reason: formatting
    While searchng around in webos quick install there is a led service provided by webos internals. Is there a program you have to have make this work?
    Quote Originally Posted by uminchu View Post
    I had been trying for days to sort out my perpetual No Device Found error; in my case it turns out to have been a conflict with a Canon ImageClass MF4150 laser printer. I don't know if the conflict is isolated to that particular model or with Canon ImageClass printers in general, but once I pulled the printer's USB cable, Quick Install functions as advertised. If you own one of these models and you have been dealing with this error/issue, I recommend you pull the USB cable from the back of your printer and try again (no reboot necessary). I now (finally!) have File Coaster on my Pre, installing homebrew apps OTA.
    I went through the install several time, checked and rechecked than ran into this Canon printer idea. I unplugged my Canon iP4300 printer and bingo, INSTALLED SOME APPS! What a save! Thanks!
    i m running the file... not extracting
    Jason - quick question:

If I already have the SDK running perfectly (ie. palm-install works to transfer ipks), but WebOSQuickInstall won't connect to my device, is there something easy/stupid I am missing? Windows XP 32-bit, so nothing fancy.

I've written my own GUI using the Novacom java libraries as well and not had any issues with it running and connecting to my device so I don't believe that should be the problem....
    hey Jason...just a thought...I'm in QA and yesterday we were testing a new app on vista64 that the developer had built on vista32. he was unaware that vista64 has two program files folder "program files" and "program files x86" which caused problems with paths during install. I noticed 2 things when I looked at the path for novacom you asked me to give you:
    1: it has amd64 in the path name (have no idea if that matters or not but I'm on a intel quadcore)
    2: the path went to program files and not program filesx86

anyway, I'm just a tester and not a developer so I have no idea if that's useful or not but thought I'd toss it out there.

I may try using my work laptop with xp pro later today to try the install and see if that works...if I get a chance to do that I'll let ya know what happens
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_phelps View Post
    Jason - quick question:

If I already have the SDK running perfectly (ie. palm-install works to transfer ipks), but WebOSQuickInstall won't connect to my device, is there something easy/stupid I am missing? Windows XP 32-bit, so nothing fancy.

I've written my own GUI using the Novacom java libraries as well and not had any issues with it running and connecting to my device so I don't believe that should be the problem....
    I've done it once so I will throw it out there. Is your Pre in developer mode? I forgot to turn it on once so I figure it could happen to others.
    Does this app fix the problem of only being able to have a certain amount of homebrew apps on the pre? because when i try installing with preload and file coaster it read "could not install ipk not enought install space" but with quick install they are coming onboard perfectly!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nique0201 View Post
    Does this app fix the problem of only being able to have a certain amount of homebrew apps on the pre? because when i try installing with preload and file coaster it read "could not install ipk not enought install space" but with quick install they are coming onboard perfectly!!!!
    +1 by the way how many apps r the minimum u can have?
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    +1 by the way how many apps r the minimum u can have?
    Idk what the minimum you can have is. probally 0. but about 2 weeks ago mine maxed out around 98-100 depending on the app sizes and i had to keep deleting some to add new 1's. i had read that it was because of the partitioned space for applications. but since using quick install that doesnt seem to be happening anymore. its seems like it must be using space thats not in the partition anymore!!
    Idk what the minimum you can have is. probally 0. but about 2 weeks ago mine maxed out around 98-100 depending on the app sizes and i had to keep deleting some to add new 1's. i had read that it was because of the partitioned space for applications. but since using quick install that doesnt seem to be happening anymore. its seems like it must be using space thats not in the partition anymore!!
    yeah i know same here...like i have active home screen which takes up like 4 mb and i have a bunch of homebrew apps also and it hasnt done anything to tell me im maxed out with webos quick install
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Just tried the latest version and its very nice.
    I like the tweaks section that was added. Personally I like doing the patches, but its nice for those that don't know how.
    Works real nice with the emulator now to.
    Another tweak suggestion -- ability to change the "drag up to unlock" icon. I saw other icons that people posted on the forums that I would love to use of my Pre...how easy/hard is that?
    ok so I did this on my work laptop with xp pro and it took about 5 minutes to do successfully(mostly because our work machines boot up so slowly) ~ thanks for the tip palmprenyubi
    kinda has to be a vista64 issue looks like.

now I'm aggrevated that I spent like 8 to 10 hrs of free time to get this to work on my home machine when it coulda just taken 5 minutes lol

anyway, I think the program file path may still be part of the issue especially if some items are installing to x86 and others are not.

quick question...sorry if it's already been answered....what's the new icon for in the app? After the last couple nights trying to get the install to work I'm scared to click a button if I don't know what it'll do lol
    Last edited by mercyswake; 08/19/2009 at 02:15 PM. Reason: forgot something
    so if you dont have mac os x leopard this wont work huh?

cant get it to work on tiger because i dont think there is a java 6 for tiger
    any help?
    Try to make phone USB not just charging. If the device shows up in explorer as PRE you should be able to download file. My problem is I downloaded file manager and no application shows up. Any ideas?
  20.    #760  
    Quote Originally Posted by mercyswake View Post
    C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc\novacom\amd64\novacomd.exe

I may be misunderstanding your second question but I opened a command prompt window, typed novacom -l as well as novacom-l and got the same response:
    'novacom' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
    Strange...it should have recognized that command...maybe novacom didn't install properly. Maybe go to Add/Remove Programs, uninstall "NovacomD" then reinstall?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesonrw View Post
    While searchng around in webos quick install there is a led service provided by webos internals. Is there a program you have to have make this work?
    I don't believe there's any apps that take advantage of that custom service currently.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_phelps View Post
    hmmm...I'm not completely sure why that would be happening. On thing I could suggest would be reinstalling novacom or disablng the re-enabling devmode.

hey Jason...just a thought...I'm in QA and yesterday we were testing a new app on vista64 that the developer had built on vista32. he was unaware that vista64 has two program files folder "program files" and "program files x86" which caused problems with paths during install. I noticed 2 things when I looked at the path for novacom you asked me to give you:
    1: it has amd64 in the path name (have no idea if that matters or not but I'm on a intel quadcore)
    2: the path went to program files and not program filesx86
    Yea, I aware of 64 issues (I hated 64bit vista for the longest time, lol). I was just checking to make sure the executable path was correct, which it way. A person I dealt with a while ago had an issue where somehow the path was point somewhere that didn't even exist, heh.

It doesn't fix the problem, so I'm surprised it worked for you, lol.

Now that I have postinst and prerm scripts working, it's possible to do that, but it would have one large caveat: you could not be able to uninstall that app from your launcher on-device; you'd be forced to use the uninstall function on WebOS Quick Install's Device Management screen. Would that still be something you guys would be interested in?

Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    Another tweak suggestion -- ability to change the "drag up to unlock" icon. I saw other icons that people posted on the forums that I would love to use of my Pre...how easy/hard is that?
    Easy to do, I'll add it to an upcoming version

quick question...sorry if it's already been answered....what's the new icon for in the app? After the last couple nights trying to get the install to work I'm scared to click a button if I don't know what it'll do lol
    If you're referring to the icon just below the "+" and "-" icons, that's the "Download From Feed" icon.

I connects you to the current IPKG feeds out there, including PreCentral's Homebrew Gallery, PimpMyPre's Application Repository, and WebOS-Internals' feeds. If you see a "++" next to an app name in the list, that means the file there is an upgrade to a program already on your device.

Quote Originally Posted by nismoG20 View Post
    so if you dont have mac os x leopard this wont work huh?
    cant get it to work on tiger because i dont think there is a java 6 for tiger
    any help?
    I believe someone mentioned SoyLatte being an alternative that works if you want to investigate that option.