Page 31 of 184 FirstFirst ... 2126272829303132333435364181131 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Thanks, finally took a walk over to the dark side today...success!
    i downloaded everything but when i try to download the filecoaster it says connection refused no device found can anyone help me
    Quote Originally Posted by ****indraino View Post
    im having trouble with installing annything from Index of /feeds/preware/all i tryin to get terminal to work ...nothing. i drag it into webos quick install it says installing ...installed but it doesnt show up on the pre.
    i also tryed installiing the led ipk and no luck not sure whats wrong but i am super confused. since it say these apps install and dont.
    Both those apps require the additional installation of custom services or plugins.

I'm working with Jason on a method for WebOS Quick Install to support those more advanced ipkg files that require commands to be run as root.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    ok here is my problem, I'm on a mac, did all of my software updates.... I downloaded the WebOSQuickinstall.jar, and launch it... And it gives me the prompt about downloading webdoctor, I hit yes and then nothing...

So then I tried to d/l webdoctor on my own then launch the WebOSQuickinstall and still nothing... I don't really know what else to do

I checked again the updates and still nothing so I must have the latest version of java, and I can run the webdoctor app just fine... Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    I'm having the same problem as Pask2155. I'm on a Mac with all of the most recent Software Updates installed. However, in the Java preferences, it says I have JSE 5. I went to the Java site, but the only way to get newer Java is by Software Update on the Mac. And according to Software Update, I have the most up to date software. Try running WebOS Quick Install and it crashes out. Any ideas?
    Hi, I am trying to download the WebOS Quick Install, can anyone please tell me how long does it take to complete, it seems like its taking forever. i just want to make sure i am downloading it correctly since i am new to all of this.

thank you!
    Hello all....I'm completely new to anything technical.
    REALLY want some Homebrew apps on my computer.
    Running Windows XP.
    Have the latest Java according to the Java website.
    Have tried to install the WebOS QuickInstall jar....got the prompt to download WebOSdoctor and have done that twice....it's taken quite a long time each time.
    It says it's downloaded 100% and then the download box closes and nothing happens.
    Both times.
    When I search for the file on my computer (The Webosdoctor one (195MB?)) the search companion says it can't be found.
    I have NO IDEA where to go from here.
    I've allready spent several hours and gotten nowhere...how can everyone say this is so easy?
    Can anyone tell me what to do next? Please?
    Thanks!
    Shari
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    this is wonderful. thank you for sharing your work, Jason!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynda1 View Post
    Hi, I am trying to download the WebOS Quick Install, can anyone please tell me how long does it take to complete, it seems like its taking forever. i just want to make sure i am downloading it correctly since i am new to all of this.

thank you!
    good to know i am not the only one going through this!
    I'm running on Vista 64 bit and am getting an error when running the webos quick install and get error 1 connection refused : connect, then i click ok and it says error devise not found can any one help
    Downloaded fine,launches fine, but get error when I connect Pre that says connection refused, no connection found????
    Took the plunge this morning. No problems at all.
    I'm with Pask2155 and Chesterinny. I've followed all the directions and I can't get WebOSQuickinstall to open! and I don't want to run Webosdoctor and wipe all my music and pictures off my Pre.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chesterinny View Post
    I'm having the same problem as Pask2155. I'm on a Mac with all of the most recent Software Updates installed. However, in the Java preferences, it says I have JSE 5. I went to the Java site, but the only way to get newer Java is by Software Update on the Mac. And according to Software Update, I have the most up to date software. Try running WebOS Quick Install and it crashes out. Any ideas?
    Sounds like you either have a PowerPC Mac or a Intel Core Duo. If that's the case, you will need to install SoyLatte and run Java manually

cd /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/soylatte16-i386-1.0.3/bin/
    ./java -jar ~/Downloads/WebOSQuickInstall.jar (or wherever)

Not sure exactly why it requires 1.6.0, but it's really lame that Apple doesn't include a 32-bit Java 6 VM.
    I just downloaded and this error came up. can anyone help?

The jar file "WebOSQuickInstall.jar" couldn't be launched. Check the Console for possible error messages

by the way I have a mac and also updated software.
  16.    #616  
    Hi all, sorry for my absence the last few days. Good news, the big version 2.0 is out!

v2.0 - August 15, 09
    - Slightly altered some button graphics
    - Internal code completely reworked
    - Added standard ipkg feed support with a few (including PreCentral's) built in
    - Added a Tweaks panel with many useful mods
    - Added postinst and prerm script support
    - Device Management gives more detailed installed-applications information

To those with issues, please try this new version. If you still get "No Device Found" error, read the troubleshooting guide link on post #1.

If that still doesn't work, open up Command Prompt/Terminal and type:
    Code:
    novacom -l
    And tell me what output you get.

This new version is a buge step forward. With postinst and prerm support, WebOS Quick Install will now have the ability to install things like Terminal, MyTether, etc. once those .ipks have been updated to include those scripts
    This is working great, loving the ipkg feed Glad to see its finally being adopted by ALL means of installation..

Great work, suggestions I have are:
    Various ways of sorting apps... (Date Released, Name, Etc.)
    Have an option to display info about the app by a double click or right click/menu or whatever..
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Hi all, sorry for my absence the last few days. Good news, the big version 2.0 is out!

v2.0 - August 15, 09
    - Added standard ipkg feed support with a few (including PreCentral's) built in
    - Added postinst and prerm script support
    This new version is a buge step forward. With postinst and prerm support, WebOS Quick Install will now have the ability to install things like Terminal, MyTether, etc. once those .ipks have been updated to include those scripts
    Congratulations on the release, Jason.

For those who are not aware, the WebOS Internals group has been working with Jason to engineer a secure host-based method of installing the more advanced webos-internals applications that install custom services or plugins, and which require Linux commands to be run as root as part of the installation.

Using the WebOS Quick Install application, end users can now take full advantage of these advanced webos-internals applications, without needing to manually install the application using the native ipkg commands, and without needing to manually run extra Linux commands to enable or disable the functionality.

Over the next few days, we will be updating our wiki installation instructions to take full advantage of this breakthrough functionality that has now been included in WebOS Quick Install. This is a major step along the path of being able to get rid of the "rooting your Pre" concept forever.

We have also discussed with Jason some additional features to automatically support package dependencies, and to default to asking for informed consent from the user when running additional commands automatically as root (to prevent future rogue developers from misusing this feature for nefarious purposes).

A very important part of these new features is that they support the full lifecycle of package management, including the uninstall steps that are required to cleanly remove advanced custom services and custom plugins from the Pre.

The WebOS Internals group is also working on a secure advanced package mangement service and corresponding preware installer application which provides the same functionality for management of advanced webos-internals applications on the Pre. But we will always require a secure host-based advanced installer like WebOS Quick Install to bootstrap that service and application onto the device.

Congrats again, Jason - it has been a pleasure working with you to enable this functionality for all Pre users ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  19.    #619  
    Quote Originally Posted by dhMassacre View Post
    This is working great, loving the ipkg feed Glad to see its finally being adopted by ALL means of installation..

Great work, suggestions I have are:
    Various ways of sorting apps... (Date Released, Name, Etc.)
    Have an option to display info about the app by a double click or right click/menu or whatever..
    Unfortunately that extra info is not available; a limitation of the ipkg feed. Clicking on the name of the app will get its name, size, version and developer info though
    I downloaded it perfectly and it's on my phone but when I try to install an app it comes up install failed: not enough install space. I know my phone isn't full, so can anyone help me with why it's doing this. I tried it on a few different apps to test it and they all come up like that.

Thanks