Page 27 of 184 FirstFirst ... 1722232425262728293031323777127 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    Well, I used the linked update, but it tells me it can't be installed on a 32-bit mac

still working on the install on my windoze netbook. i was unable to download webosquickinstall, as others have reported. got it on the mac, tho. weird

had to give up and go to bed last night,gonna play with the netbook pretty soon

Quote Originally Posted by srfcrzy View Post
    Here's what I used: Apple - Downloads - Application Updates - Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 1

Good luck!

It took a while for me to download--might have been because I was also downloading WebOSdoctor.
    i have the program installed properly but evrtimei plug up my pre its not found by WEB OS and when i hit the install button nothing happens....can sumbody tell me what i did wrong
    i cannot do this on vista...i keep getting an error message why?????
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Please bear with me. 2 days since my last post in this thread and 3 pages to look through, 16 emails, and 2 visitor messages (even though I've stated I will delete support request messages there, lol). I'm only one guy who develops this program during my spare time

Most of those issues have been solved for others, or by others, earlier in the thread. However, given the thread has grown in size so quickly and contains info based on v1.4 and early versions, I can see how things could be confusing. One thing I would like to clarify: if PreBrew works on your device, WebOS Quick Install will; they use the same install and uninstall methods.

To that end, I've added a very brief setup guide on Tutorials webOS Installing An Ipk - WebOS Internals (feel free to clarify my wording and add whatever notes you guys may feel is appropriate, it is a wiki after all Also, here's a quick guide for troubleshooting (some of it's a rehash from the FAQs post):

Troubleshooting
    I've unzipped the file, what do I do next?
    Nothing! Don not, I repeat, DO NOT, unzip the .jar file. The nature of a JAR file is that it is both an archive and an executable program. We only wanna use the executable program aspect.

How do I run the program?
    Windows
    • Double-clicking on the .jar should work. If it doesn't, reinstall Java 1.6

Mac OS X
    • According to this document, OS X 10.5 Update 1 is when Macs got Java SE 6 (aka Java 1.6). This is required for WebOS Quick Install to run correctly.
    • Also, run /Application/Utilities/Java/Java Preferences. Then click and drag Jave SE 6 to top of both list, and exit the program. This will set Java 1.6 as the default version to use and should have no ill side effects.

Ubuntu
    • To install the current version of Java, enter the following in terminal:
      sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre
    • To run the .jar, right click, choose "Open with" and select "Sun Java X.X runtime"

For more info, see How to Run a .Jar Java File: 11 steps - wikiHow

I already WebOSDoctor downloaded. Do I have to download it again?
    Nope, you can just move your existing copy to the same folder as WebOS Quick Install and the program will run.

I'm seeing this screen. What do I do next?
    Nothing, close that window! That's WebOSDoctor. You don't want to run that unless you want to reset your Pre to factor WebOS 1.03 settings (and wiping all your data).

In WebOS Quick Install, clicking menu Tools->Device Management does absolutely nothing
    This means WebOS Quick Install is unable to access the WebOSDoctor.jar file. Possibly corrupted jar file. You'll want to delete the WebOSDoctor.jar file then redownload from this link. Put that downloaded file in the same folder as WebOS Quick Install.

I'm getting "ERROR: No device found."
    Common error. Two reasons this could occur:
    1. Mis-matched your choice of device. In WebOS Quick Install, click menu File->Options. If your target is the WebOS emulator on your computer, choose "Emulator"; if your target is a real device, like a Palm Pre, choose "USB Device".
    2. Your device and/or computer are not configured correctly. WebOS Quick Install depends on both your device being ready for the connection as well as your computer being ready for the connection.
      • Novacom needs to be installed on your computer. In WebOS Quick Install, click menu File->Options. Click the "Attempt Novacom (re)installation" button.
        • Alternatively, Windows users can manually install Novacom via this method.
        • Linux users can download Novacom here. Read this guide if your Linux distribution doesn't use Debian files.
        • A computer restart is highly recommended.
        • Windows users can verify Novacom is running by going StartMenu->Run...->"services.msc" and looking for a "Palm Novacom" entry and making sure it's started.
      • WebOS device needs to have DevMode.
        • This can be done by typing "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart", opening the DeveloperMode app, and enabling the feature.
        • Some circumstances can cause the the toggle to show as enabled even when its disabled. To solve this problem, disable it then re-enable it.
        • Some people report OTA updates reset DevMode. Keep that in mind when updating.
      • When you plugin your device, choose "Just Charge"
    I'm another one getting "ERROR: NO DEVICE FOUND". And I've done all of the steps in the above post, and I am still having no luck. I've tried restarting the computer, checked to make sure Palm Novacom is started, turned off devmode and then back on and still nothing. Can anyone help determine what my problem is? I would really like to be able to do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Grant24 View Post
    i have the program installed properly but evrtimei plug up my pre its not found by WEB OS and when i hit the install button nothing happens....can sumbody tell me what i did wrong
    make sure ur phone is in dev mode
    here's the situation, i made sure that my computer was running the current java. I downloaded webosquickinstall but when i open it there was no file association with it. I then assigned the java.exe to open .jar file but when it does, there is never an application to come up. I know I am missing the obvious so please help me out. I want to get additional applications on the pre.
    This might sound dumb

But am I suppoused to download java on my phone or through my computer.. I'm not really familiar w my palm pre yet.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica91 View Post
    This might sound dumb

But am I suppoused to download java on my phone or through my computer.. I'm not really familiar w my palm pre yet.
    On your computer...
    Quote Originally Posted by chelssdawn View Post
    I'm another one getting "ERROR: NO DEVICE FOUND". And I've done all of the steps in the above post, and I am still having no luck. I've tried restarting the computer, checked to make sure Palm Novacom is started, turned off devmode and then back on and still nothing. Can anyone help determine what my problem is? I would really like to be able to do it!

I am having the same issue...I have tripple checked every step and I am still getting the NO Device found error. Help...I really want this to work.
  10. STNC
    I am having a heck of a time with the quickinstall.jar, it doesn't load, I've even set 1.6 to my default.
    how can i install java 1.6 for mac os x on my vista ?
    I can't figure out how to get Java 1.6 on my Mac because I have tiger and it is only for leopard. Is there a way around this? I can't launch the quick installer without it. That's as far as I have gotten on installing homebrew.
    I have a mac and cant get the webos to load. Anyone have any ideas for help?
    Have you had any luck with your issue?
    I am having the same problem. Where you able to figure it out?
    I am trying to install WebOS quick Installer and I cant get it to download anyone know were to get it
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I had been trying for days to sort out my perpetual No Device Found error; in my case it turns out to have been a conflict with a Canon ImageClass MF4150 laser printer. I don't know if the conflict is isolated to that particular model or with Canon ImageClass printers in general, but once I pulled the printer's USB cable, Quick Install functions as advertised. If you own one of these models and you have been dealing with this error/issue, I recommend you pull the USB cable from the back of your printer and try again (no reboot necessary). I now (finally!) have File Coaster on my Pre, installing homebrew apps OTA.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I have successfully installed and run WebOS Quick Install and connected to my Pre in developer mode and I have downloaded the fileCoaster ipk but when I try to add the ipk to the installer it says "the system cannot find the path specified".

Screen Capture: Yfrog - jm2q.jpg - Uploaded by punchingaugust1

Edit: I just re-downloaded WebOS Quick Install and put it on the desktop and it works fine.
    Last edited by ksixftfour; 08/09/2009 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Solved
    Hello! I clicked on Download Mirror, when I go to download the file, I receive a message that states that the website is having difficulties. I cant get this to download to my PC. I did try downloading this to my PC yesterday and it went great, but i cant find the file on my computer or an icon for the web os install. Any ideas as to what I may have done wrong?
    THE DOWNLOAD MIRROR FOR WEBOS QUICK INSTALL IS DEAD...what a drag..i had just worked myself up to tackle this homebrew thing and live the dream...i am so sad right now.

detroitkruk