Page 26 of 184 FirstFirst ... 1621222324252627282930313676126 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by many_miles View Post
    I have read this whole thread, and, unless I missed something, I never saw the answer to my problem.

I've got WebOSQuickInstall installed on my MacBook Pro 10.5.7. But, I cannot install any IPKs to my Pre via it.

I can run WebOSQuickInstall OK, and, add IPKs to the list, click "Install!", a windows pops up, that window first says "Connect to device" (for a VERY quick time, less than a second), then says installing (some stuff that is a bit to quick to read, but, I believe includes the name of the IPK I am trying to install), and, seems to complete.

Then, when I look on the Pre, I don't see the new App in the Launcher.

From terminal, I have done a "sudo /opt/nova/bin/novacomd".

I have plugged in my Pre into the USB port and chose "Just Charge".

I believe I am in developer mode. In any event, I've tried it with the Developer Mode switch showing both Off and On.

I have REdownloaded my targeted IPKs in case they were not fully downloaded due to a shortsave by Firefox.

I have also tried downloading the apps via Safari, to take any shortsave issue out of the equation.

I have rebooted the Mac and the phone a number of times.

I have tried a few different homebrew apps.

When I do a "Device Management", I get appropriate information back, including 9 apps. I've seen talk about quantity of applications being a limiting factor. Is 9 too many?

Also, in "Device Management", the "Device:" line shows <unknown>. Is this a symptom of a problem?

Any and all help, guidance, or assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    I found my problem. I had previously rooted my PRE, and, my /var directory on my Pre was 67%, which (according to http://discussion.treocentral.com/we...gh-memory.html Post #6), is the magic I-cannot-let-you-install-anymore number.
    Working smoke detectors save lives.
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    Ok so messed something up and I hope someone can help! After installing this quickinstall and finally getting it to work, I added some apps. After I played with this for a while I got a call so I answered it. My icon on the phone app shows that it is connected to something and cannot hear a thing. The only option I have is to turn on speaker phone for it to work... Any ideas to correct before I do a reset?
    I am unsure after reading different how-tos here, does this process require the sdk to be installed first?

Also - I ran software update and the OS 10.5 Java update, but Java preferences shows J2SE 1.4.2 and J2SE 5.0. Do I need 1.6? How do I get it?

Running 10.5.8

tia
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalehofmann View Post
    I am unsure after reading different how-tos here, does this process require the sdk to be installed first?

Also - I ran software update and the OS 10.5 Java update, but Java preferences shows J2SE 1.4.2 and J2SE 5.0. Do I need 1.6? How do I get it?

Running 10.5.8

tia
    Here's what I used: Apple - Downloads - Application Updates - Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 1

Good luck!

It took a while for me to download--might have been because I was also downloading WebOSdoctor.
  5.    #505  
    Please bear with me. 2 days since my last post in this thread and 3 pages to look through, 16 emails, and 2 visitor messages (even though I've stated I will delete support request messages there, lol). I'm only one guy who develops this program during my spare time

Most of those issues have been solved for others, or by others, earlier in the thread. However, given the thread has grown in size so quickly and contains info based on v1.4 and early versions, I can see how things could be confusing. One thing I would like to clarify: if PreBrew works on your device, WebOS Quick Install will; they use the same install and uninstall methods.

To that end, I've added a very brief setup guide on Tutorials webOS Installing An Ipk - WebOS Internals (feel free to clarify my wording and add whatever notes you guys may feel is appropriate, it is a wiki after all Also, here's a quick guide for troubleshooting (some of it's a rehash from the FAQs post):

Troubleshooting
    I've unzipped the file, what do I do next?
    Nothing! Don not, I repeat, DO NOT, unzip/unrar the .jar file. The nature of a JAR file is that it is both an archive and an executable program. We only wanna use the executable program aspect.

How do I run the program?
    Windows
    • Double-clicking on the .jar should work. If it doesn't, reinstall Java 1.6

Mac OS X
    • According to this document, OS X 10.5 Update 1 is when Macs got Java SE 6 (aka Java 1.6). This is required for WebOS Quick Install to run correctly.
    • For some MacOS versions that don't support the above release of Java 1.6, you want to try SoyLatte.
    • Also, run /Application/Utilities/Java/Java Preferences. Then click and drag Jave SE 6 to top of both list, and exit the program. This will set Java 1.6 as the default version to use and should have no ill side effects.

Ubuntu
    • To install the current version of Java, enter the following in terminal:
      sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre
    • To run the .jar, right click, choose "Open with" and select "Sun Java X.X runtime"

For more info, see How to Run a .Jar Java File: 11 steps - wikiHow

I already WebOSDoctor downloaded. Do I have to download it again?
    Nope, you can just move your existing copy to the same folder as WebOS Quick Install and the program will run.

I'm seeing this screen. What do I do next?
    Nothing, close that window! That's WebOSDoctor. You don't want to run that unless you want to reset your Pre to factor WebOS 1.03 settings (and wiping all your data).

In WebOS Quick Install, clicking menu Tools->Device Management does absolutely nothing
    This means WebOS Quick Install is unable to access the WebOSDoctor.jar file. Possibly corrupted jar file. You'll want to delete the WebOSDoctor.jar file then redownload from this link. Put that downloaded file in the same folder as WebOS Quick Install.

I'm getting "ERROR: No device found."
    Common error. Two reasons this could occur:
    1. Mis-matched your choice of device. In WebOS Quick Install, click menu File->Options. If your target is the WebOS emulator on your computer, choose "Emulator"; if your target is a real device, like a Palm Pre, choose "USB Device".
    2. Your device and/or computer are not configured correctly. WebOS Quick Install depends on both your device being ready for the connection as well as your computer being ready for the connection.
      • Novacom needs to be installed on your computer. In WebOS Quick Install, click menu File->Options. Click the "Attempt Novacom (re)installation" button.
        • Alternatively, Windows users can manually install Novacom via this method.
        • Linux users can download Novacom here. Read this guide if your Linux distribution doesn't use Debian files.
        • A computer restart is highly recommended.
        • Windows users can verify Novacom is running by going StartMenu->Run...->"services.msc" and looking for a "Palm Novacom" entry and making sure it's started.
      • WebOS device needs to have DevMode.
        • This can be done by typing "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart", opening the DeveloperMode app, and enabling the feature.
        • Some circumstances can cause the the toggle to show as enabled even when its disabled. To solve this problem, disable it then re-enable it.
        • Some people report OTA updates reset DevMode. Keep that in mind when updating.
      • When you plugin your device, choose "Just Charge"
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 08/28/2009 at 05:45 AM.
    I don't know if this is your problem, but I'm running Vista 64 and the default Novacom driver wasn't working for me. This post had the instructions for a several-step process that did the trick.

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...er-method.html
    Download mirror (File Front) for webOS Quick Installer is not responding. Is there an alternate location to download it from?
  8.    #508  
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrDrgn View Post
    Download mirror (File Front) for webOS Quick Installer is not responding. Is there an alternate location to download it from?
    Worked for me in both Internet Explorer and Firefox
    Same problem for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    inside the Zip File is a jar. I suspect you're trying to open the jar and that's giving you the error. Inside the zip is a ReadMe.html (basically describes my above post) and WebOSQuickInstall.jar (the app)

EDIT: thanks to Dieter for adding .jar upload support, uploading the the unzipped jar file now

EDIT2: uploaded to first post
    I have sent attachment of webosquickinstall.jar to my email and the file will not open, says it can't find application to open this file.
    Same for me as well.
  12.    #512  
    Quote Originally Posted by czelik View Post
    I have sent attachment of webosquickinstall.jar to my email and the file will not open, says it can't find application to open this file.
    Sounds like you should reinstall Java

Quote Originally Posted by celtic05 View Post
    Same for me as well.
    Alternate Download Mirror
    when i download the file nothing happens. The download for the webos doctor shows up and when it gets to 100% it basically just shuts down and the quickk install program does not start. i am running vista and i have the latest java version. help!!
  14.    #514  
    Quote Originally Posted by jlvon View Post
    when i download the file nothing happens. The download for the webos doctor shows up and when it gets to 100% it basically just shuts down and the quickk install program does not start. i am running vista and i have the latest java version. help!!
    Yea, it momentarily hangs for a short bit at 100% when it gets transferred out of Java's temp memory storage to a local file. You could always just manually redownload webosdoctor (see above Troubleshooting guide for link)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Sounds like you should reinstall Java

Alternate Download Mirror
    I was able to downlaod from that mirror, but I received a zipped folder of the jar contents, but not a zipped jar file.
    It always give me an error when it brings me to the file website what do I do??
  17.    #517  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre - Fred View Post
    I was able to downlaod from that mirror, but I received a zipped folder of the jar contents, but not a zipped jar file.
    That's not a zip. It's a Jar. As stated in both my FAQs and Troubleshooting posts, jar files are considered both archives and executable programs. So don't unzip.

Quote Originally Posted by Jklecyngier View Post
    It always give me an error when it brings me to the file website what do I do??
    As stated a few times, the download mirrors should be considered a last resort in in the even the standard download method faiils. The standard download being the file attached to post #1 Try that one
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre - Fred View Post
    The mirror in the original post was unresponsive for me as well. The alternate mirror worked for me (thanks!) but I also got a .zip file when it was done downloading. Not really sure what went on there but I didn't bother to troubleshoot.

Just rename the WebOSQuickInstall.zip to WebOSQuickInstall.jar. Double click and it should start the install process.
    still cant get the install to happen. when the webosdoctor finished the insall nothing happens. it just shuts off. i cant install webosdocotr directly either. i rebooted and this is what i saw a message stating that windows is unable to install my novacom linux.....is this the possible problem?
    Device not found error...i admit i am a bit of a retard when it comes to this but i have downloaded several times to no avail and nothing. what do i do