Page 24 of 184 FirstFirst ... 1419202122232425262728293474124 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    My MacBook Pro only has 2 USB Slots and I've tried almost everything. I even uninstalled, and reinstalled WebOS Quick Install and rebooted a couple times. Nothing... :-(
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Hey all,
    I was having the same problem as many and found a fix. It seems that Novacom is not running correctly, and I couldn't get the SDK to find the device either. If you run novacom via terminal first, WebOS Quick Install finds the device right away. Follow the instructions on this page and hopefully it will work for you too! Gets novacom working before you run the app. If this was previously posted in the thread please forgive me. Got it working immediately!!!
    Good luck!!!
    Palm Pre “Novacom Not Running” error on Mac OS X « TheJeffFiles.com
    my first post here!

OMG, getting homebrews on pre is so ****ing EASY! I can't believe how easy it is.

1. Konami code
    2. download WebOS Quick Install
    3. even easier when when I installed my first app "fileCoaster"

This, you are awesome. Palm, catch up!

THANKS!!!
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Niris777 View Post
    Nice! Downloading now to test it out!
    Been messing around with this forever just trying to get all to download and no luck , feel like ripping my hair out.

I get a popup saying cannot find program to download or the link just will not work. Anyone out there that can give a better step by step to get the dowloader/installer downloaded PLEASE and THANKYOU !
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    please give me a dummy guide on how you did that.
    I have tried several times with multiple installs...still doesn't work...HELP
    I'm new at this so please be patient. I downloaded WebOS Quickinstaller and WebDoctor. I then downloaded filecoaster into the quickinstaller, hooked up my pre via usb and hit just charge. When i tap install it starts a sync animation but then I get an error message no device? what am i doing wrong? can someone give me layman step by step directions please. I would greatly appreciate it so I can try these homebrew apps out. Thank you
    gbattaglia02...you're in the same boat as a lot of people. We patiently wait for the experienced ones to help out the lil pre'ers
    To start the installation under ubuntu (jaunty) type:

java -jar WebOSQuickInstall.jar

in a terminal
    say what??? please you have to speak layman. I just gave up my abicuss for a calculator last week. I don't know what a abuntu, jaunty, terminal is?
    OMG, getting homebrews on pre is so ****ing EASY! I can't believe how easy it is.

1. Konami code
    2. download WebOS Quick Install
    3. even easier when when I installed my first app "fileCoaster"

This, you are awesome. Palm, catch up!

THANKS!!!
    This worked for me as well. I was getting the device not found error as well, and becoming very frustrated. I put my pre in dev mode, and now I am using filecoaster to download apps!
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Okay, here is how I got this to work in Slackware Linux...step-by-step:
    Please note, run all these commands in a Linux terminal.
    This should work, with slight variation, in any version of Linux.

Additional Required app
    Alien for converting the novacom .deb to a Slackware package

Download alien .tgz package file from the link above and install it:
    as root, installpkg alien-8.76-i486-1mch.tgz

From the head of this thread, download WebOSQuickInstall and novacom
    Convert novacom with alien:
    alien -t --noscripts palm-novacom_0.3-svn177284-hud9_i386.deb

Install novacom:
    as root, installpkg palm-novacom-0.3-svn177284.tgz

Run novacom manually: <- (This was the magic that I needed to get it to work)
    as root, /opt/Palm/novacom/novacomd (this is case sensitive)

Enable dev mode on the Pre:
    In the Pre launcher screen, open the keyboard and type this:
    upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart

This will bring up an icon for dev mode. Tap it, enable it, flick it away.
    Plug the Pre into the USB port and choose "Just Charge the Battery"

Run WebOSQuickInstall as a non-root user:
    java -jar WebOSQuickInstall.jar

In the program, under File...Options, select USB Device and check "Show Dev mode..."

Click Close

Click the plus sign to add the ipk files you want to install.

Select the files you want

Click Select, then Install

They will take just a few seconds, after which you can close WebOSQuickInstall and press control+C in the Linux terminal to end novacom.
    Unplug the Pre from the USB and enjoy your new apps!
    Wow! Big thanks to everyone who made getting the homebrews so easy!!
    Even bigger thanks to all the people working on apps!
    Quote Originally Posted by philstevens View Post
    Hey all,
    I was having the same problem as many and found a fix. It seems that Novacom is not running correctly, and I couldn't get the SDK to find the device either. If you run novacom via terminal first, WebOS Quick Install finds the device right away. Follow the instructions on this page and hopefully it will work for you too! Gets novacom working before you run the app. If this was previously posted in the thread please forgive me. Got it working immediately!!!
    Good luck!!!
    Palm Pre “Novacom Not Running” error on Mac OS X « TheJeffFiles.com
    Thanks, but I'm not on a MAC...I'm on a PC.
    new to this but every time i try my pre says cannot find an appliaction which can open this files. what do i do
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    GIANT thank you to Jason, a Pre user's new best friend for the Home Brew App Install. Great tool, even for a non-developer like me.

Thank you!!!
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    looking forward to new version
    I have read this whole thread, and, unless I missed something, I never saw the answer to my problem.

I've got WebOSQuickInstall installed on my MacBook Pro 10.5.7. But, I cannot install any IPKs to my Pre via it.

I can run WebOSQuickInstall OK, and, add IPKs to the list, click "Install!", a windows pops up, that window first says "Connect to device" (for a VERY quick time, less than a second), then says installing (some stuff that is a bit to quick to read, but, I believe includes the name of the IPK I am trying to install), and, seems to complete.

Then, when I look on the Pre, I don't see the new App in the Launcher.

From terminal, I have done a "sudo /opt/nova/bin/novacomd".

I have plugged in my Pre into the USB port and chose "Just Charge".

I believe I am in developer mode. In any event, I've tried it with the Developer Mode switch showing both Off and On.

I have REdownloaded my targeted IPKs in case they were not fully downloaded due to a shortsave by Firefox.

I have also tried downloading the apps via Safari, to take any shortsave issue out of the equation.

I have rebooted the Mac and the phone a number of times.

I have tried a few different homebrew apps.

When I do a "Device Management", I get appropriate information back, including 9 apps. I've seen talk about quantity of applications being a limiting factor. Is 9 too many?

Also, in "Device Management", the "Device:" line shows <unknown>. Is this a symptom of a problem?

Any and all help, guidance, or assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by many_miles; 08/07/2009 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Added the novacomd troubleshooting step, and, the Safari step
    Working smoke detectors save lives.
    I'm doing something wrong here because I still can't get this program to recognize my pre. It is still giving me an error message that my device can not be found.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Should have been included in Mac updates. Only online article I could find was this one, which says Mac OS X 10.5. Oh, and go /Application/Utilities/Java/Java Preferences to see if you already have it downloaded
    FYI, it looks (yet again) like those of us with Mac OS X 10.4 will not be able to participate.

Java 6 system requirements for Mac include Mac OS X 10.5.7.