Page 21 of 184 FirstFirst ... 1116171819202122232425263171121 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    Program couldn't restart my phone and now when I try to turn on my pre it just shows the palm emblem and doesn't pull up webos???
    Jason:

When installing an app I get the following error mssg:

ERROR: No Device Found.

I'm in DevMode and Novacom is working, Java as well...I just rebooted and nothing...any help?
    Jason:

Not only are u the man...but after I rebooted my pc everything worked...I am installing apps like a mad man...thank u for answering my many questions!
    Installed flawlessly on Windows XP. Thanks for one of the best apps here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Using Custom .ipk Install
    These system component non-standard ipk files need to be installed via a recently added feature, "Custom .ipk Install". It can be found in WebOS Quick Install in the menu under Tools.

You can drag and drop the special .ipk file onto that window, or click the "..." button to choose it. Then, delete "-o /var" from the text box so it's empty and click the "Install" button. Voila, you're done.
    I would strongly caution against doing things this way. Removing the -o /var means that you are now messing with Palm's built-in ipkg database (the one that manages the underlying Linux subsystem on which all of webOS runs). Messing with that can easily cause immediate problems with the Pre (if someone, for example, installed a package called "busybox" this way it would make your Pre inoperable) and is quite likely to cause problems with OTA updates in the future. It also means that you can't use the normal Pre GUI commands to delete applications installed this way.

I have (in private, but anyone is welcome to get the details) provided Jason with details of the way to do this properly (by supporting the standard prerm and postinst scripts that are defined by the ipkg format). I'm hoping that will be in a future version of WebOS Quick Install instead of the dangerous procedure listed above.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    This is a great App, thank you so much for all of your work
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Wow Im not tech savvy but I can't believe I got this to work! And my first app I installed through Quick Install was the blackjack.

Thanks so much!!!
    Tries to start and then quits. Get the following in the console log:

8/3/09 12:22:55 PM [0x0-0x6e86e8].com.apple.JarLauncher[11958] Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0"
    8/3/09 12:22:55 PM [0x0-0x6e86e8].com.apple.JarLauncher[11958] java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/swing/GroupLayout$Group
    8/3/09 12:22:55 PM [0x0-0x6e86e8].com.apple.JarLauncher[11958] at ca.canucksoftware.WebOSQuickInstallApp.startup(WebOSQuickInstallApp.java:59)
    8/3/09 12:22:55 PM [0x0-0x6e86e8].com.apple.JarLauncher[11958] at org.jdesktop.application.Application$1.run(Application.java:171)
    8/3/09 12:22:55 PM [0x0-0x6e86e8].com.apple.JarLauncher[11958] at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
    8/3/09 12:22:55 PM [0x0-0x6e86e8].com.apple.JarLauncher[11958] at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:461)
    8/3/09 12:22:55 PM [0x0-0x6e86e8].com.apple.JarLauncher[11958] at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:269)
    8/3/09 12:22:55 PM [0x0-0x6e86e8].com.apple.JarLauncher[11958] at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:190)
    8/3/09 12:22:55 PM [0x0-0x6e86e8].com.apple.JarLauncher[11958] at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:184)
    8/3/09 12:22:55 PM [0x0-0x6e86e8].com.apple.JarLauncher[11958] at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:176)
    8/3/09 12:22:55 PM [0x0-0x6e86e8].com.apple.JarLauncher[11958] at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)
    8/3/09 12:22:55 PM [0x0-0x6e86e8].com.apple.JarLauncher[11958] at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)
    Last edited by NetWhiz; 08/03/2009 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Update
    Ah, won't work b/c lacking Java 6 on a 32-bit Intel Macbook Pro. Can you compile it for Java 5 compatibility?
    WebOS Quick Install won't start for me. I see ca.canucksoftware.WebOSQuickInstallApp come up in the bar (Using a Mac) and then it just goes disappears as if it never started. Help?

Update: Fixed it, right before I saw you're post Jason Robitaille
    Last edited by Mythodycle; 08/03/2009 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Fixed
  11.    #411  
    Quote Originally Posted by NetWhiz View Post
    Ah, won't work b/c lacking Java 6 on a 32-bit Intel Macbook Pro. Can you compile it for Java 5 compatibility?
    I may in the future, but currently, I probably won't. October 30, 2009 is the end-of-life marker for Java 5 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythodycle View Post
    WebOS Quick Install won't start for me. I see ca.canucksoftware.WebOSQuickInstallApp come up in the bar (Using a Mac) and then it just goes disappears as if it never started. Help?
    Make sure you have Java 1.6 installed. Then, run /Application/Utilities/Java/Java Preferences. Then click and drag Jave SE 6 to top of both list, and exit the program. This will set Java 1.6 as the default version to use.
    I've searched for this, but couldn't find anything about it, so I'll post here. Seems obvious enough that others would've tried this, but I can't find it, so sorry if this is duplicate.

I used the send/receive files tools in Quick Install to do some of the patches located on webos-internals.org. I didn't want to root. Worked great to add pages to the launcher, add the other analog clock, and change the dialer images. Didn't try anything else yet, but lots of them are just editing existing files. I imagine the next update will change these back, but now I have the edited files ready to send again.

Steps:
    1) Use Quick Installer to "receive" file that needs to be changed according to webos-internals
    2) Make copy of file in case you don't like it
    3) Edit file. .jsjsjs $or$ .$html$ $with$ $text$ $editor$, $images$ $with$ $photoshop$
    4) Use Quick Installer to "send" file back to original location on phone

Again, sorry if this was already somewhere else.
  13.    #413  
    Quote Originally Posted by drossing View Post
    I've searched for this, but couldn't find anything about it, so I'll post here. Seems obvious enough that others would've tried this, but I can't find it, so sorry if this is duplicate.

Again, sorry if this was already somewhere else.
    Lol, I wrote a How-To guide using the add/delete pages hack as an example for PreCentral yesterday, just hasn't been posted yet. Once it's posted, I''ll answer any questions you guys might have
    thanks
    After posting that, I had a thought for a program. Using the send/receive, could you write a program that has a list of these "customizations" that can be chosen to turn on or off? Check a bunch of boxes, hit send, the program sends them all, then reboots?

Could also make it so custom images could be used for things like the dialer or launcher background.

Just some thoughts, wish I knew how to do it myself. Anyway, thanks for this program and the quick response!
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I have been digging thru the posts on this thread, but have given up. This seems like a silly problem, but I can't get the WebOSQuickInstall.jar file to run. My computer wants to know what program to use to open the file. I have verified that I have the latest Java version, and restarted my computer. Also have deleted and re-downloaded the file. I'm using WindowsXP. Any ideas?
  17.    #417  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcurt10 View Post
    I have been digging thru the posts on this thread, but have given up. This seems like a silly problem, but I can't get the WebOSQuickInstall.jar file to run. My computer wants to know what program to use to open the file. I have verified that I have the latest Java version, and restarted my computer. Also have deleted and re-downloaded the file. I'm using WindowsXP. Any ideas?
    As annoying as this is gonna sound, I recommend re-installing Java
    I used the send/receive files tools in Quick Install to do some of the patches located on webos-internals.org. I didn't want to root.
    I'm really interested to know what it is about "rooting" (as you refer to it) that you think is over and above what you've done by sending and receiving files that overwrite Palm application files?

The act of installing an ssh daemon or optware tools is actually far *less* intrusive than what you've done.

I really don't get this irrational fear of accessing Linux, yet a seeming willingness to do even more intrusive and modifying-of-webOS things by using a windows tool to do it instead ...

Can you explain your thought processes to me? I really am genuinely interested to know why you think this way and how this distinction is rationalised in your mind ...

(I'm not having a go at you personally - this seems to be a very common reaction, and I really want to understand why everyone seems to have this same misconception about installing an ssh daemon versus using a windows tool to directly modify webOS files ...)

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    "Rooting" (as I and many many other people have referred to it since it first started), is not something I understand. I don't know linux. I don't understand linux. I've never used linux. I never plan to use linux. I don't know linux commands. I don't want to learn linux commands. I don't have the first clue what "ssh daemon" means. Since reading your reply though, I've done a little research and I don't see any difference in what I did from what you want me to do. Both techniques are replacing Webos files with modified files.

I wasn't so concerned with intruding, as I was with understanding what I was doing. I understand replacing one text file with another. I was bored, saw some options in quick install, and I tried it. I tried it on the emulator, which is extremely easy to figure out. It worked. It seemed obvious that I was just changing lines in text files. Seemed ok. So I tried it on my phone. Worked great. May have taken longer, but I understood what I was doing, rather than having to learn a whole new language.

I'm sorry for being intrusive. I didn't mean to intrude. Clearly there are a lot of people out there who don't know linux, so I thought I'd point out a solution. Clearly, Jason, who seems to be fairly well respected around here, didn't think this was so irrational, or he wouldn't have made it possible with his program.

I apologize if I mis-read the tone of your message, but I don't need to be talked down to for trying to help out. I also apologize for not knowing the latest lingo for "root".
    "Rooting" (as I and many many other people have referred to it since it first started), is not something I understand. I don't know linux. I don't understand linux. I've never used linux. I never plan to use linux. I don't know linux commands. I don't want to learn linux commands. I don't have the first clue what "ssh daemon" means. Since reading your reply though, I've done a little research and I don't see any difference in what I did from what you want me to do. Both techniques are replacing Webos files with modified files.

I wasn't so concerned with intruding, as I was with understanding what I was doing. I understand replacing one text file with another. I was bored, saw some options in quick install, and I tried it. I tried it on the emulator, which is extremely easy to figure out. It worked. It seemed obvious that I was just changing lines in text files. Seemed ok. So I tried it on my phone. Worked great. May have taken longer, but I understood what I was doing, rather than having to learn a whole new language.

I'm sorry for being intrusive. I didn't mean to intrude. Clearly there are a lot of people out there who don't know linux, so I thought I'd point out a solution. Clearly, Jason, who seems to be fairly well respected around here, didn't think this was so irrational, or he wouldn't have made it possible with his program.

I apologize if I mis-read the tone of your message, but I don't need to be talked down to for trying to help out. I also apologize for not knowing the latest lingo for "root".
    Believe me, I genuinely wasn't intending to talk down to you, and mean no disrespect to the way you are achieving the things you want to achieve.

By "intrusive" I was meaning instrusive in the sense of changing things on the Pre, I didn't mean it in any personal sense.

You've given me good insight that people such as yourself are "brave" enough to do very significant things to the Pre (like modifying and replacing webOS files), but simply have not used Linux before and therefore the "Linux rooting" instructions are just something that is foreign and to be avoided for that reason.

What Jason has done is a great thing, cause it provides the power of modifying files on the Pre to a whole new set of people who have no desire to learn Linux.

The outcome of this is that I now realise that all the webos-internals stuff really needs to have two explanations of how to do each thing - an explanation for those who know Linux, and an explanation for those who don't. Neither group is better or worse than the other - they just desire different means of achieving the same result.

Thanks for your answer, and again I apologise that the wording of my message caused you to take it in a manner which was not intended.

BTW, I have been working closely with Jason for the last week or more to work out how a lot of the custom Linux commands for doing things like installing the Terminal application or MyTether, or any other application that requires a custom plugin or service, can be done using just the WebOS Quick Install program and a specially prepared ipkg from the author of the custom plugin or service application.

-- Rod