2.    #382  
    v1.4 - August 1, 09
    - Fixed Send File
    - Fixed Receive File
    - Fixed Custom .ipk Install
    - Fixed DevMode unhide option
    - Added Delete File/Directory

Download Mirror
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 08/01/2009 at 07:23 AM.
    jason will myflashlight and tether work now???
    I get the no device found error. I connected and chose "just charge" I have a app sitting in the window ready to go. I tried emulater and usb device runing XP pro
    I hate to be a real ***** here, but here goes.

There are like a gazillion posts in this thread and it would take me 2 hours just to see if there is a response to my question. I apologize in advance if this has already been answered.

Am I to assume that I need to install lots of other stuff to get this to work? I ran the QuickInstall.jar and it ran fine until it got to the Novacomd part, then it just stopped.

I then did the updownrightleft thing, got the dev mode button, restarted the palm, plugged it in and chose just charge, all with the install still sitting on the Novacmd install screen. All the devices were found except for the novacom linux driver.

Please, is there a step by step, new out of the box type set of instructions? I've googled all day, got all kinds of stuff, including the sdk, and every other forum I've been in, depending upon the date of the post, says I need this that or the other thing installed. From what I can tell, I need to install a dozen or so apps, do something to look for root@castle, etc.

I know, I'm being a total dweeb about this and I apologize. If all this is laid out somewhere in one place, (do this, then install that, then type this) in order to get this fantastic sounding program to work, I would love the link. Thanks again, and again I apologize for being an *****.
    Oh, one more thing. Where is this program located once it's installed? And I'm running Vista home 64.

Figured it out, it is a program itself and doesn't reside anywhere. I put the jar file on my desktop.
    Last edited by TheRealAlien; 08/01/2009 at 12:16 PM.
    makes life easier
    Okay. Here's an update...for what it's worth. Again, sorry for being a pain.

Stopped everything I was doing. Uninstalled everything I installed.

Installed Sun Virtual box. Finished with no errors.

Installed WebOs sdk. Finished with no errors.

Ran WebOSQuickInstall.jar Opened fine.

Reinstalled Novacomd from within WebOSQuickInstall. Finally finished with no problems.

Palm is in DevMode, hooked up using ChargeOnly.

WebOSQuickInstall opens. When choosing "USB" as the option, I see all the apps I have installed and get lots of details on the phone. I choose an app to install that I downloaded from here (sorry, but it was the fart app, first one I saw) by selecting the ipk file using the "plus" button. Press the "Install" button. It says, "Installing" and a great little animation box pops up. The pop-up goes away, the app disappears from the list of apps to be installed, and nothing else happens. No app appears in the pre, doesn't show up in the list of apps in WebOSQuickInstall, nothing. Tried it with the 8-ball program as well, just to see, same thing, nothing shows up.

I tried it in emulator mode, and again, nothing.

Self teaching is FUN!

In the steps I've outlined, am I missing something?
    Good job
    i had 1.1, it worked fine, then I uninstalled it and switched to 1.4 and it says cant find my phone?
  11.    #391  
    **WARNING**: An upcoming version will be a restructuring of code to fully support ipkg. The below guide is for those who cannot wait for one reason or another. Be aware, apps installed via the below method will not offer uninstallation for the non-standard ipk files and will need to be removed via Terminal app or via linux root access.

How-To Install Non-Standard Apps

Non-Standard Apps?
    A non-standard app, is a rarity in the current WebOS homebrew world. The average WebOS application simply installs itself into a dedicated folder in /var/usr/palm/applications/. Non-standards apps, however have 2 components: the regular application and the special custom system components. Both need to be installed for the app to run properly

An example is WebOS-Internal's Terminal app. The regular app can be found here and it can be installed like any other app with WebOS Quick Install. Terminal's custom components, as found here (or here for emulator), need to be installed a different way.

Using Custom .ipk Install
    These system component non-standard ipk files need to be installed via a recently added feature, "Custom .ipk Install". It can be found in WebOS Quick Install in the menu under Tools.

You can drag and drop the special .ipk file onto that window, or click the "..." button to choose it. Then, delete "-o /var" from the text box so it's empty and click the "Install" button. Voila, you're done.

This process also should work with MyTether (I don't have a Pre, so I can't test this myself).
    MyTether 1.5 regular app ipk: http://vz.aonic.net/pre/net.aonic.my..._1.5.0_all.ipk
    MyTether special ipk: http://vz.aonic.net/pre/net.aonic.tether_0.5.0_all.ipk
    Install the special ipk in the same way as described above.
    Final update for me:

So far, none of the apps I tried to install ever installed except one. That's the fileCoaster. Once I got that installed, I was able to us IT to install any app I've found...so far.

I don't know why none of the other apps would install; 8-Ball, Comics, PreFarts (yes, don't laugh) and evevn the light saber one. They all installed quite easily using the fileCoaster once I got that installed.

Apparently I have something installed correctly or the fileCoaster would not have installed. Thanks for that! So, all-in-all, the combo of the two programs is an excellent fix to the cumbersome and confusing way it apparently was being done before.

Perhaps you can use my experience to help fix a currently unknown quirk in the program if there is one, or to create a much needed step by step for the next guy who may be as inexperienced as I am. Thanks again!!! Excellent job!
  13.    #393  
    Quote Originally Posted by ckzuber View Post
    I get the no device found error. I connected and chose "just charge" I have a app sitting in the window ready to go. I tried emulater and usb device runing XP pro
    Be sure to read this FAQs post. Should help you.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAlien View Post
    Just FYI, SDK and VirtualBox are not needed.

I'm honestly not sure why FileCoaster would install but others would not. There'll all done the same way and FileCoaster is packed like any other app.

Quote Originally Posted by deviousracing View Post
    i had 1.1, it worked fine, then I uninstalled it and switched to 1.4 and it says cant find my phone?
    Wow, v1.1 was a while ago, many changes ago. Try disabling DevMode then re-enabling it.
    I need help guys! i dont know much about the different terminologies. I'm just trying to load the sdk to my palm. i understand that with sdk, we can load apps right? So how do i load the sdk first? thanks!
  15.    #395  
    Quote Originally Posted by bbyfac314 View Post
    I need help guys! i dont know much about the different terminologies. I'm just trying to load the sdk to my palm. i understand that with sdk, we can load apps right? So how do i load the sdk first? thanks!
    With my app, you do not use the SDK. First post describes the requirements for this program. Try that and if you have more issues, feel free to post
    Jason,
    I'm currently getting this error message:

ERROR: Setup.xml missing unable to continue

Any help would be appreciated.
  17.    #397  
    Quote Originally Posted by ibthaone78 View Post
    Jason,
    I'm currently getting this error message:

ERROR: Setup.xml missing unable to continue

Any help would be appreciated.
    I have never, in all my testing seen my app make that error. What were you doing when it happened?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    I have never, in all my testing seen my app make that error. What were you doing when it happened?
    Wrong thread...

Thats my app PreBrew. Extact the zip file to a folder then run Setup.vbs.

Greg
    I installed the program five minutes ago. Since then I have installed ten homebrews to try on my phone. Thanks this works great. Very easy to use just followed the steps as layed out in the thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by greg_roll View Post
    Wrong thread...

Thats my app PreBrew. Extact the zip file to a folder then run Setup.vbs.

Greg
    Sorry Greg...my wife has been trying to follow this thread...but needs to make an account for herself. I'll tell her what u said and see if it works on her pc...thnx!