Page 18 of 184 FirstFirst ... 813141516171819202122232868118 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

I DON'T KNOW IF I'M ALLOWED TO PUT SITES ON, I'M SORRY IF IM NOT, I AM !EXTREMELY! NEW TO THIS... BUT FOR THOSE WHO ARE STRUGGLING THIS HELPED SUBSTANTIALLY!!
  2.    #342  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPreFanatic View Post

I DON'T KNOW IF I'M ALLOWED TO PUT SITES ON, I'M SORRY IF IM NOT, I AM !EXTREMELY! NEW TO THIS... BUT FOR THOSE WHO ARE STRUGGLING THIS HELPED SUBSTANTIALLY!!
    Wow, didn't even know this video existed, nice

The video is slightly out dated in that is says the SDK is required for Novacom. Current version installs Novacom (for select OSes) via WebOSDoctor.

And last I checked, there's no need to stop the Novacom service
    Any chance of seeing that guide today Jason? Appreciate all the hard work. I'm travelling currently on a 2000+mile trip and would love to tether.
  4.    #344  
    v1.35 - July 30, 09
    - Add support for custom .ipk installations
    - Improved DevMode hide/unhide option to no longer require device reset

Download Mirror

Writing the guide now
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    v1.35 - July 30, 09

Writing the guide now

Awesome
    If my post helped you, Please Thanks Me !
    -sYnOnYx-
    --Pre User--
    Try disabling then re-enabling DevMode. For some, updates tend to reset DevMode, but not actually change the toggle-value.
    Also, it sounds as if Novacom may not be running on your computer. On your Windows computers, go to services.msc and see if Novacom is there and if it's Started.
    I really appreciate the reply Jason, I've tried both of those suggestions before, and just gave them another shot now just for good measure, but still no luck at all. I saw a comment about reinstalling the SDK, but I'm sure I read that your latest versions do not require it.

I am still stuck, but would humor any other tips you can provide.
    v1.35 - July 30, 09
    - Add support for custom .ipk installations
    - Improved DevMode hide/unhide option to no longer require device reset

Download Mirror

Writing the guide now
    Jason, first of all, thank you for putting this app together. I can see it'll work great, if I can get my Pre to 'see' the apps I'm trying to move over.

A little history, I have successfully installed apps via the SDK prior to the 1.1 update (not sure if that has anything to do with my problem, but it could be relevant). I recently tried going that route again and could not get apps to my Pre, and that's what led me to your app - I was looking for something that would work. I've also tried PreBrew in the meantime as well. Everything seems to work right, even to the programs showing the status of the files being transferred.

The one app I did have success with recently was My Tether, but I had to root in and run a command-line update. I was originally on my WinXP computer and switched to my Vista machine, to no avail. Although, I can't get the USB net driver installed on the Vista machine (again, probably not related, but I just don't know enough).

Now, I just noticed that you made a change with the latest version of QuickInstall affecting the DevMode app. I tried checking that box, and that window closed for a second then came back up (no check in the box). At the same time, my Pre reset.

Again, thank you for your efforts. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of why some of us appear to have properly connected Pre's but can't get apps on 'em.
  8.    #348  
    Just FYI, I'm having to postpone my guide as I've found a bug with Custom .ipk Install code
    So, I cannot really explain this AT ALL... and I swear I am not losing my mind, but I've been having so much difficulty installing homebrews since the 1.1 update. My last hope was to try connecting up to the SDK or Quick Install with DevMode OFF... yes, OFF... and low and behold, IT IS WORKING! Yes, I am now able to install and use Quick Install when I have Dev Mode "turned off" according to the UI. Whoo Hoo!!!
    JASON,

Do I just download your new software? I'm not sure what exactly to do when you have a newer software. V1.3 ... do i just download and thats it? can you help?
    Is anyone going to answer the question as to what is the fix to the issue that a lot of people are having???????????
    When I click on install, nothing happens!!!!

Novacom is running, Pre is in Dev Mode, ans in Just Charge.
    No install of any apps happens.
    Anyone????????????????????????????????????????????
    I know this sounds odd Aaron, but have you tried turing DevMode off? As odd as it sounds, I was having similar issues, I turned DevMode off, restarted, and everything started working fine.
    inside the Zip File is a jar. I suspect you're trying to open the jar and that's giving you the error. Inside the zip is a ReadMe.html (basically describes my above post) and WebOSQuickInstall.jar (the app)

EDIT: thanks to Dieter for adding .jar upload support, uploading the the unzipped jar file now

EDIT2: uploaded to first post
    ok i already downloaded the WebOSQuickInstall.jar but dont know how to install it
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    ok i already downloaded the WebOSQuickInstall.jar but dont know how to install it
    hey maxima, you dont 'install' it, you just run it like an executable. What OS are you on? In windows, you can normally double click a jar and run it. If you are running linux, you would go to the directory in command line where the file is housed and run the following command 'java -jar <filename>'

Not sure how it works on the mac. Hope this helps.
    As long as you have Java 1.6 installed (check here : Verify Java Version), you should be able to just double click on the jar and the application will launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by lnknpk04 View Post
    hey maxima, you dont 'install' it, you just run it like an executable. What OS are you on? In windows, you can normally double click a jar and run it. If you are running linux, you would go to the directory in command line where the file is housed and run the following command 'java -jar <filename>'

Not sure how it works on the mac. Hope this helps.
    i got windows vista...when i downloaded WebOSQuickInstall.jar it came out to WebOSQuickInstall.download...im guessing u change it to WebOSQuickInstall.jar and then wut do u do?
    Quote Originally Posted by dharris007 View Post
    As long as you have Java 1.6 installed (check here : Verify Java Version), you should be able to just double click on the jar and the application will launch.
    yeah i have the latest
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronB1979 View Post
    When I click on install, nothing happens!!!!

Novacom is running, Pre is in Dev Mode, and in Just Charge.
    I am having the same problem.
    I have gone thru all the messages including the trouble shooting message on page6.

BTW - when i select Show Dev Mode app in laucher - it freezes...I don't know if that helps.

Thanks
    BTW i have WinXp
    i got windows vista...when i downloaded WebOSQuickInstall.jar it came out to WebOSQuickInstall.download...im guessing u change it to WebOSQuickInstall.jar and then wut do u do?
    Now we're getting somewhere . A *.download extension usually means that the file is still downloading or didn't finish or something....bottom line is that I dont think thats the complete .jar file, thus why its not running. What browser is it you're using?
    I just installed the latest version and finally it opens up like it should.
    I put a file into the app and click install and I get a 'device not found error.
    I have exited and reentered devmode, plugged in the pre as Charge Only, and made sure its on, and nothing !

I am on a mac 10.5.7

Any ideas?
    Thanks