Page 155 of 184 FirstFirst ... 55105145150151152153154155156157158159160165 ... LastLast
Results 3,081 to 3,100 of 3676
Like Tree10Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by apalemick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    I have posted this tip before and will do so again as so many folks seems to have .zip & .rar file issues, or they can't find where their downloaded file ended up.

USE Firefox to download the programs!!! Before you download, go to the Menu >>tools>>options ... select the Main tab and under "Downloads" select the radio button for "Always ask me where to save files"...

This does 2 things for you:

1) you pick the directory where you are saving the 2 files.
    2) you can rename the files as you select where to save them.

Your end result should be a directory with 2.jar files:
    WebOSQuickInstall.jar
    webOSDoctor.jar

And one further tip: If you want to ensure you don't accidentally start the Dr instead of the Quick Install, create a shortcut for QI and drag it to your desktop, start menu, or quick launch.

Thanks for posting this. Going through this thread when you are beyond frustrated is not easy. At this point, I want to slap everyone who posts, "Go back and read." Want to know what's worse than reading the same question over and over? The snarky, dickish responses.

The fact that it needs to be downloaded with Firefox should be in troubleshooting, because it's not exactly all over the thread. (Or it wasn't in the 20 pages I read) Some of us are having a problem because the file isn't being downloaded as a .jar file.

Now, I will download this program for the third time. If it doesn't work I will set myself on fire.
    First, if you go the fire route, upload the video!!

but seriously, it doesn't have to be downloaded with Firefox, but having used Internet Exploder, Chrome, Safari, and others, I personally think it is the better product... in Exploder, I think you can right click on links and do a save target as, and maybe get the same thing...

and you really can't blame the author of this fantastic program for the crappy design and implementation of brand name browsers...

good luck and hopefully you will be downloading apps to your Pre real soon!
    Irish
    Quote Originally Posted by apalemick View Post
    What about those of us who have tried ALL the suggestions on "several pages?"

And still, nothing.
    Wait until this weekend when the new version of WebOS Quick Install is supposed to be released. Hopefully it will simplify things for those having problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    First, if you go the fire route, upload the video!!
    I almost posted the exact same thing! Even had it typed out but then deleted it.
    could some one help me??? i try to install everything...but when it came to install the
    Quick Install i couldn'.. this message appear after i clicked on the icon

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...e/errorrr2.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    WebOS Quick Install v2.03

This program is intended for use with WebOS applications that are in-testing, which under section 4.2 of the Palm SDK License Agreement allows for such unapproved applications to be installed on Palm devices. Applications installed with WebOS Quick Install have not be tested by Palm and are installed at your own risk.

This program is freeware, but not opensource. Feel free to share it with other testing forums.

I can be contacted at support@canuck-software.ca
    If you contact me, or post in this thread to contact me, you must also include the following information:
    - Device: are you using a Palm Pre or the emulator
    - Operating System (include 32bit or 64bit)
    - Have you followed my troubleshooting guide completely
    I will be ignore emails/posts that don't follow that format.

Donations are appreciated as I'm just one person developing this app during my spare time.

Enjoy! :-)

Here's my brief Setup Guide.

Please read my Troubleshooting Guide before posting in this thread.

Tweaks Guide

Requirements
    • WebOSDoctor recovery rom
      • As of v1.2, WebOSQuickInstall can download and setup WebOSDoctor's file for you.
      • Do not run WebOSDoctor, or you may inadvertently erase your device to WebOS 1.03 factory settings
      • If you want to download it on your own, Sprint download here, Bell download here (use either if you're just using emulator) and copy that .jar file to the same folder as WebOSQuickInstall.jar

• Java 1.6
      • For Mac OS X, once you've installed Java 1.6, run /Application/Utilities/Java/Java Preferences. Then click and drag Jave SE 6 to top of both list, and exit the program. This will set Java 1.6 as the default version to use.

• Novacom - As of v1.1, this now gets setup through WebOS Quick Install.
      • You can manually install Novacom by going in WebOSQuickInstall and in the menu File->Options, then press the "Attempt Novacom (re)installation" button.
      • If you have issues and you're on Windows, try following these instructions (even if you aren't on Windows 7).
      • For Linux, try downloading the Novacom file here.

• DevMode enabled
      • This can be done by typing "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart", opening the DeveloperMode app, and enabling the feature.

Lastly, when you plug in the device, if you want to use WebOS Quick Install, choose the "Just Charge" option on the device.

Running WebOS Quick Install
    • Simply double-click WebOSQuickInstall.jar and (as long as Java is installed properly) it will launch

Features
    • Stylish easy-to-use GUI.
    • Cross-platform support (Windows, Mac OS X, Linux).
    • Supports postinst and prerm scripts.
    • Tweaks panel for OS customization on a deeper level.
    • Supports standard ipkg feeds.
    • No Linux knowledge required.
    • No rooting required (or whatever getting-access-to-root setup is now called).
    • Support for multiple ipk file transfers.
    • Support for adding files both via filechooser popup and by dragging and dropping files onto the transfer queue.
    • Works with both USB-connected WebOS devices and the WebOS emulator.
    • Ability to hide/make visible the DevMode application in the launcher.
    • Full device information section.
    • Management of user-installed applications. Lists all user-installed applications and gives the option to uninstall those applications.
    • Send and receive files to and from a WebOS device.
    • Support for custom .ipk installations.
    • Quick-access link to the PreCentral homebrew forums.
    • Handy usage panel that explains the earlier-mentioned requirements.

Screenshots

ChangeLog
    v2.03 - August 31, 09
    - Added "Change launcher opacity" mod
    - Added "Spoof iPhone user agent" mod
    - Updated email landscape mod for better compatibility
    - Changed dialpad vibration tweak to last 200ms each (was 250ms)
    - Fixed 4x4 icons mod for app names overlap
    - Updated messaging landscape mod with added avatar selection

v2.02 - August 29, 09
    - Added Bell WebOSDoctor support
    - Fixed "Download in Web Browser" mod
    - Changed the "5x4 Icon" mod to a "4x4 Icon" mod
    - Added 8 new system mods to the Tweaks panel

v2.01 - August 18, 09
    - Fixed postinst script support
    - Updated 5x4 launcher icons mod to properly format long app names
    - Fixed Send File feature

v2.0 - August 15, 09
    - Slightly altered some button graphics
    - Internal code completely reworked
    - Added standard ipkg feed support with a few (including PreCentral's) built in
    - Added a Tweaks panel with many useful mods
    - Added postinst and prerm script support
    - Device Management gives more detailed installed-applications information

v1.4 - August 1, 09
    - Fixed Send File
    - Fixed Receive File
    - Fixed Custom .ipk Install
    - Fixed DevMode unhide option
    - Added Delete File/Directory

v1.35 - July 30, 09
    - Add support for custom .ipk installations
    - Improved DevMode hide/unhide option to no longer require device reset

v1.3 - July 29, 09
    - Many Mac/Linux bugfixes
    - Minor internal code changes

v1.25 - July 29, 09
    - Fixed NullPointerException preventing program launch for some
    - Fixed downloading routine. Will no longer corrupt the downloaded file.
    - Added button in options to (re)install Novacom.
    - Added panic button in options that will launch WebOSDoctor.

v1.2 -July 28, 09
    - Linux/Mac issues are fixed.
    - Added ability to grab files off the WebOS device
    - Now downloads WebOSDoctor itself, for easier installation

v1.1 - July 26, 09
    - Now requires you to download Recovery ROM
    - Better Novacom driver handling
    - Added first-time setup
    - Retrieve file functionality

v1.0 - July 25, 09
    - Initial release

Special thanks to the beta testers who helped along the development road the past few weeks. Especially thanks to Dieter of PreCentral, Philip of PreThinking, Ken of WebOSHelp.net, Rod of WebOS-Internals, D94, and David Wales. This app wouldn't be what it is without you guys
    Sorry to bother, I am using a pre, vista 6.0 32 bit and I have been through the troubleshooting guide. No luck. I download webosquickinstall.jar without any problem. Double click it and answer yes to downloading webosdoc (trying from sprint and emulator). Either way I get the message "java.io.filenotfoundexception:http??palm.cdnetworks.net/staging/rom/webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar." That suggests to me that the link is no good. But, when I went to dowload directly from Palm I got a .zip that I do not know what to do with (no .jar file in it).

Sorry if I missed something. But, am I missing something? Much thanks for your efforts.
    I am having the same probs as everyone else. Tried on a Vista machine and Win7.
    Hi,

Thanks for a great tool. I hope you can help me get it running. After running the .jar file and selecting my carrier, I get this message:

ERROR: java.io.FileNotFoundException http://palm.cdnetworks.net/staging/r...0ewwsprint.jar

Also, I copied that URL into a browser, and got a 404 error.

-sherman
    Quote Originally Posted by sdmonroe View Post
    Hi,

Thanks for a great tool. I hope you can help me get it running. After running the .jar file and selecting my carrier, I get this message:

ERROR: java.io.FileNotFoundException http://palm.cdnetworks.net/staging/r...0ewwsprint.jar

Also, I copied that URL into a browser, and got a 404 error.

-sherman
    its a known issue just download it directly from the palm website
    I keep getting this when downloading the file:

java.io.filenotfoundnotfoundexception

I have checked for and made sure I had the latest java. Does anyone know what could be wrong?
    I SELECTED THE MESSAGE FOWARDING TWEAK, DISCONNECTED THE PHONE AND TRIED TO USE THE TEXT MESSAGING AND NOW I CANT OPEN MESSAGES NOR SEND THEM.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
    can some one tell me if we have to remove the GNU patch before webos 1.2
    I think I understand what's going on...

*Some people are getting to the HomeBrew frontpage, following those instructions (which are outdated), failing, then hitting up the very end of this EXTREMELY long thread with some very basic questions which are answered at the very beginning of this thread. (Questions like, "webOSdoctor won't download' or "webOSdoctor won't install")

*Others realized (like myself) realized that the link to this thread on the frontpage was actually a cleverly-disguised rabbit-hole meant to be followed in order to find the updated install instructions. But there are still a few tweaks/tricks missing from the Page 1 post, and thus those people are also hitting up the end of the thread with questions like "Why am I getting a java lang exception file not found webOSdoctorblahblahblahsprint.jar error?"

And lastly there are some others who are having what sounds like legitimate install issues given that they've followed all of the instructions within the previous posts (properly renaming the webOSdoctor file, putting it in the same folder, etc). They are ALSO hitting up this thread with their questions.

Bottom line is that THIS THREAD IS TOO POLLUTED to be of help to anyone! Questions are all over the board, answers are ranging from snarky to rude, and everybody is frustrated.

When the new version is released, I hereby volunteer to RE-WRITE a comprehensive HOWTO in collaboration with anyone who wants to help. This takes NOTHING away from the developer who I give much praise and thanks to for creating an awesome app like this. But as a community, we need to pitch in and do our part to support others. Who's with me?

--Akshun J
    I am getting the same error. Did u figure it out?
    how can i fix a the no device error ?
    Can't get any of this to work. Downloaded from Sprint but don't see "read me". Tried to extract and keep getting errors. Also, where do I type the "updownleftright thing"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Loonytunes View Post
    I am using Windows 7 and used java to open. Still getting an error. Cannot find the main class, program will exit."

Im getting the same error, did you figure it out?
    how can i fix a the no device error ?
    how can i fix a the no device error ?j
    how can i fix a the no device error ? n
  20.    #3100  
    Quote Originally Posted by siner_1988 View Post
    how can i fix a the no device error ? n
    Read the Troubleshooting Guide and please don't spam the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by akshun_j View Post
    I think I understand what's going on...
    *Some people are getting to the HomeBrew frontpage, following those instructions (which are outdated), failing, then hitting up the very end of this EXTREMELY long thread with some very basic questions which are answered at the very beginning of this thread. (Questions like, "webOSdoctor won't download' or "webOSdoctor won't install")
    I agree, though the issue here is people need to read the first post of the thread, at the very least. I've linked all important posts and info in the first post, if only people would read it.

*Others realized (like myself) realized that the link to this thread on the frontpage was actually a cleverly-disguised rabbit-hole meant to be followed in order to find the updated install instructions. But there are still a few tweaks/tricks missing from the Page 1 post, and thus those people are also hitting up the end of the thread with questions like "Why am I getting a java lang exception file not found webOSdoctorblahblahblahsprint.jar error?"
    The error you mention hasn't been posted on post #1, as I've been wanting to get a new version out this weekend, which would fix the issue. And I'm not sure what Tweaks you're referring to, but my Tweaks guide does include them all.

And lastly there are some others who are having what sounds like legitimate install issues given that they've followed all of the instructions within the previous posts (properly renaming the webOSdoctor file, putting it in the same folder, etc). They are ALSO hitting up this thread with their questions.
    I feel I must point out, 90% of the people who post in this category can get their issue solved by reading through my Troubleshooting Guide. I can't tell you how many emails I get on a daily basis from people exhibiting problems that could be solved by simply reading and following the Troubleshooting Guide

Bottom line is that THIS THREAD IS TOO POLLUTED to be of help to anyone! Questions are all over the board, answers are ranging from snarky to rude, and everybody is frustrated.
    This thread is polluted in the sense its long. Imagine how difficult things would be if I did separate threads for each release. People would keep posting to older threads, and I'd have difficulty managing multiple threads. If people would read and follow the guides I've posted, or even search before they post, this thread would be 50% shorter.

And I take offense to you saying answers have only been snarky to rude, I've been as polite as I can, giving much more support than other developers would, especially considering this is freeware and I'm spending my spare time developing/answer emails/responding to forum posts.

When the new version is released, I hereby volunteer to RE-WRITE a comprehensive HOWTO in collaboration with anyone who wants to help. This takes NOTHING away from the developer who I give much praise and thanks to for creating an awesome app like this. But as a community, we need to pitch in and do our part to support others. Who's with me?

--Akshun J
    That'd be sweet. I'd definitely replace the current Setup Guide link once you do this