Page 154 of 184 FirstFirst ... 54104144149150151152153154155156157158159164 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,080 of 3676
Like Tree10Likes
    I believe there are a lot of assumptions of technical expertise on this forum, as well as some directions that are simply unclear. If I may be so bold, here are the precise steps I followed. Windows XP SP3 system, and of course I have the Pre with the latest OS.

1. I downloaded and installed the latest version of Java. Mine was WAY old. Just go to this page: How do I test whether Java is working on my computer?
    and it will tell you if you have the latest version or not. If it says update is available, just scroll down and download/install the latest.

2. I downloaded the Sprint version of Webdoctor. Here it is:
    http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/pre_p...0ewwsprint.jar
    I downloaded it into a folder on my desktop called "pre", and then I renamed the file to "webosdoctor.jar", obviously without the quotes.

3. I downloaded WebOSquickinstall. Here it is:
    http://forums.precentral.net/attachm...ickinstall.jar
    I downloaded it into THE SAME folder on my desktop called "pre".

4. I downloaded the filecoaster app. Here it is:
    http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/filecoaster
    I simply saved this file on my desktop. No folder.

5. I put my Pre into "developer mode". The process is detailed here:
    http://www.precentral.net/how-to-ins...ew-apps?page=1

6. I plugged my Pre into my laptop, selected "Just Charge" on the phone when prompted, then let Windows discover all the hardware. Windows then prompted me to reboot. I rebooted.

7. After reboot, I opened the "pre" folder on my desktop and double-clicked the WebOSquickinstall.jar file. It asked me if I wanted an emulator or USB connect. I chose USB connect.

8. I was presented with the main WebOSquickinstall screen. I simply dragged and dropped the filecoaster idk file onto the main WebOSquickinstall screen. It "added" the app to it's install list automatically.

9. Finally, I plugged in my Pre (chose "Just Charge" again), waited for a moment, and then clicked the "INSTALL" button on the main WebOSquickinstall screen. For about 20 seconds, I watched the install dialog, and then it disappeared, along with the filecoaster info on the main screen. I exited the program, disconnected my Pre, and scrolled down on my Pre to find the filecoaster program. SUCCESS!!!

Hope this clears up some things for folks. I am a complete Windows illiterate as I've been using Linux for nine years now. So, take it from me, if *I* can do this in about 15 minutes, you can!

--Akshun J
    Quote Originally Posted by hiloboy1977 View Post
    i keep getting a error when its telling me to download webos doctor........ can someone help
    Jason or a Mod please help us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is getting too difficult. :exhausted: ut of breath: Can we change the instructions to say it won't download the webosdoctor for you? Or should we all just stop responding to this question? I'm at a loss.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Jason or a Mod please help us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is getting too difficult. :exhausted: ut of breath: Can we change the instructions to say it won't download the webosdoctor for you? Or should we all just stop responding to this question? I'm at a loss.
    Cosign
  4.    #3064  
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post

it's a know issue, and answered on several pages. I haven't updated the first post as I plan on having a working update ready for this weekend
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hiloboy1977 View Post
    i keep getting a error when its telling me to download webos doctor........ can someone help

I've been getting this same problem under Ubuntu 9.04 (x64)

I have set up a new 'pre' folder in which both doctor and quick install .jar files are located (also copied to a separate folder for backup). Running it with Sun Java 6 loads and it recognizes if the Doctor is in the directory or not, if it is not in the directory it attempts to download the latest version and is unable to (Sprint), if it is in the directory it moves (deletes?) it and asks for a restart - on restart it asks to download the file again causing an unbreakable loop (renames of all sorts recommended in this thread do not help).

Running the Doctor once downloaded by it self appears to run without issue.

edit: and now I see an update will be posted, just consider this post as addressing it's the same while under Ubuntu 9.04, thanks for all the hard work Jason.
    I have gotten to #5. When I press the DeveloperMod icon the mode is preset to "Off." Am I supposed to switch it to on? If so, it says the device needs to be "reset" for this action to take place. Do I proceed with pressing "Reset The Device" or will that screw my Pre up somehow?
    Quote Originally Posted by rotag99 View Post
    I have gotten to #5. When I press the DeveloperMod icon the mode is preset to "Off." Am I supposed to switch it to on? If so, it says the device needs to be "reset" for this action to take place. Do I proceed with pressing "Reset The Device" or will that screw my Pre up somehow?
    Yes. Yes, no.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Was using the "change dialer wallpaper" tweak and my pre wasnt able to hang up. I would press the Hang up button and it would just say "ending". And never actually hung up so untill i restarted my pre (which is not a fun thing to do). Tried several times and still wouldnt hang up. I turned the tweak off and remembered i had left Dev Mode on, so i turned that off too and restarted the phone. when the phone turned back on, the glitch went away. Not sure if its related but i figured i would post it since id like to use the tweak when its working
    Quote Originally Posted by MARQDOUG View Post
    I THINK I HAVE FOUND THE SOLUTION FOR ALL OF THOSE WHO MAY BE HAVING TROUBLE!!!!!!!! I was initially trying this out for hours with no success after having the file come up as a zip file and attempting to rename the file and STILL getting the message stating that it could not find the webOSdoctor. I simply solved the problem by first off deleting the webOSdoctor program and downloaded it again. When I clicked on save I RENAMED IT @ THAT POINT to webOSdoctor.jar. Before i just clicked on save and renamed the .zip/.rar file and didnt have success but this time it opened right up. I felt so dumb after trying this out for so long LoL...but go ahead and give it a try!
    I have posted this tip before and will do so again as so many folks seems to have .zip & .rar file issues, or they can't find where their downloaded file ended up.

USE Firefox to download the programs!!! Before you download, go to the Menu >>tools>>options ... select the Main tab and under "Downloads" select the radio button for "Always ask me where to save files"...

This does 2 things for you:

1) you pick the directory where you are saving the 2 files.
    2) you can rename the files as you select where to save them.

Your end result should be a directory with 2.jar files:
    WebOSQuickInstall.jar
    webOSDoctor.jar

And one further tip: If you want to ensure you don't accidentally start the Dr instead of the Quick Install, create a shortcut for QI and drag it to your desktop, start menu, or quick launch.
    Irish
    Jason Robitaille, and who ever else worked on this project and the FileCoaster project, YOU RULE!!

I was in the gang who bought my Pre just two days after launch. I've had a great time modifying it like crazy. Though I never developed, I like to think I helped test a few of the things out and sent in comments.

I just received a replacement Pre. I went as long as I could with the cracks in the housing, but when my battery died, I sent my Pre back to Palm. I've gotten the replacement today. First thing to check was for Oreo twist, not there, dead pixles...nope, cracks....nope. This is one rock solid Pre. It is a reconditioned Pre, but still great. It has the sponge thing holding in the battery, so I am guessing it's a new build.

All in all, I fired up my WebOS Quick Install and most of my modifications I like are just one click away.

Thanks guys!!!
    im getting the same thing any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanJ View Post
    im getting the same thing any suggestions?
    the same thing as what? the previous post?

Quote Originally Posted by jwdesselle View Post
    Jason Robitaille, and who ever else worked on this project and the FileCoaster project, YOU RULE!!

All in all, I fired up my WebOS Quick Install and most of my modifications I like are just one click away.

Thanks guys!!!
    If so, Great!!

If you are having a problem and would like troubleshooting help, I would suggest you provide a bit more detail... such as what your exact problem is (screen shots if possible), what type of system you are on, including OS, and lastly, perhaps peruse the page 1 post which has both a handy setup & troubleshooting guide:

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    WebOS Quick Install v2.03
    Here's my brief Setup Guide.

Please read my Troubleshooting Guide before posting in this thread.
    Irish
    weird. I can't open the jar file.

webosdoctor jar file is opening fine, but this one won't.

Windows 7 x64.

1.6 java is installed.

reinstalling java doesn't help
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    I have posted this tip before and will do so again as so many folks seems to have .zip & .rar file issues, or they can't find where their downloaded file ended up.

USE Firefox to download the programs!!! Before you download, go to the Menu >>tools>>options ... select the Main tab and under "Downloads" select the radio button for "Always ask me where to save files"...

This does 2 things for you:

1) you pick the directory where you are saving the 2 files.
    2) you can rename the files as you select where to save them.

Your end result should be a directory with 2.jar files:
    WebOSQuickInstall.jar
    webOSDoctor.jar

And one further tip: If you want to ensure you don't accidentally start the Dr instead of the Quick Install, create a shortcut for QI and drag it to your desktop, start menu, or quick launch.
    Thanks for posting this. Going through this thread when you are beyond frustrated is not easy. At this point, I want to slap everyone who posts, "Go back and read." Want to know what's worse than reading the same question over and over? The snarky, dickish responses.

The fact that it needs to be downloaded with Firefox should be in troubleshooting, because it's not exactly all over the thread. (Or it wasn't in the 20 pages I read) Some of us are having a problem because the file isn't being downloaded as a .jar file.

Now, I will download this program for the third time. If it doesn't work I will set myself on fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by akshun_j View Post
    I believe there are a lot of assumptions of technical expertise on this forum, as well as some directions that are simply unclear. If I may be so bold, here are the precise steps I followed. Windows XP SP3 system, and of course I have the Pre with the latest OS.

1. I downloaded and installed the latest version of Java. Mine was WAY old. Just go to this page: How do I test whether Java is working on my computer?
    and it will tell you if you have the latest version or not. If it says update is available, just scroll down and download/install the latest.

I downloaded it into a folder on my desktop called "pre", and then I renamed the file to "webosdoctor.jar", obviously without the quotes.

6. I plugged my Pre into my laptop, selected "Just Charge" on the phone when prompted, then let Windows discover all the hardware. Windows then prompted me to reboot. I rebooted.

7. After reboot, I opened the "pre" folder on my desktop and double-clicked the WebOSquickinstall.jar file. It asked me if I wanted an emulator or USB connect. I chose USB connect.

8. I was presented with the main WebOSquickinstall screen. I simply dragged and dropped the filecoaster idk file onto the main WebOSquickinstall screen. It "added" the app to it's install list automatically.

9. Finally, I plugged in my Pre (chose "Just Charge" again), waited for a moment, and then clicked the "INSTALL" button on the main WebOSquickinstall screen. For about 20 seconds, I watched the install dialog, and then it disappeared, along with the filecoaster info on the main screen. I exited the program, disconnected my Pre, and scrolled down on my Pre to find the filecoaster program. SUCCESS!!!

Hope this clears up some things for folks. I am a complete Windows illiterate as I've been using Linux for nine years now. So, take it from me, if *I* can do this in about 15 minutes, you can!

--Akshun J
    EVERYTHING IS PERFECT... but it says "connection refused, connect" "no device found"
    Last edited by jaynovel; 09/10/2009 at 07:04 PM.
    help, I don't know what I am doing wrong. I have installed the webos quick install now I am in the prebrew emulator and don't know what to do. The other quick install wouldn't work for some reason. Maybe I am just not technologically inclined.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    it's a know issue, and answered on several pages. I haven't updated the first post as I plan on having a working update ready for this weekend
    What about those of us who have tried ALL the suggestions on "several pages?"

And still, nothing.

As of now, I have downloaded webOSdoctor 6 times. The first two were for my Mac, which has a 32 bit intel and therefore needed SoyLatte to work. Installing Soy Latte is way beyond my capabilities.

So, I moved onto my wife's PC. I don't understand PCs. I've never used one. But I've carefully gone through this thread and jotted down every problem and answer i could find.

Now, I'm still getting the same message, after trying all the "answers." I just downloaded it on Firefox. Still, not working.

So, it's just not as simple as many of you would are making it out to be. The answer appears to not be in this thread for some of us.

Still getting the message, after clicking quickinstall, asking if I would like to download webosdoctor.

And, yes, I've downloaded it from the suggested location on the front page. I've downloaded it from Palm as well.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by punzada View Post
    I've been getting this same problem under Ubuntu 9.04 (x64)

I have set up a new 'pre' folder in which both doctor and quick install .jar files are located (also copied to a separate folder for backup). Running it with Sun Java 6 loads and it recognizes if the Doctor is in the directory or not, if it is not in the directory it attempts to download the latest version and is unable to (Sprint), if it is in the directory it moves (deletes?) it and asks for a restart - on restart it asks to download the file again causing an unbreakable loop (renames of all sorts recommended in this thread do not help).

Running the Doctor once downloaded by it self appears to run without issue.

edit: and now I see an update will be posted, just consider this post as addressing it's the same while under Ubuntu 9.04, thanks for all the hard work Jason.
    For the record, I booted into windows and copied over the same copies I used and it has loaded fine (vista x64) so there appears to be a linux issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by akshun_j View Post

--Akshun J
    I did everything you said. Again.

Still getting the message to download webosdoctor.
    i tried multiple times but when i click to install the webos doctor also and i choose sprint it starts then gives me an error saying location not found

can anyone help?

what if i don't download webOS doctor