Page 137 of 184 FirstFirst ... 3787127132133134135136137138139140141142147 ... LastLast
Results 2,721 to 2,740 of 3676
Like Tree10Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 321contak View Post
    Are the tweaks in WebOS Quick install the same as D2Globals's HOW TO's? If I am going to use the tweeks from WebOS QI, should I remove D2globals patches first?

Thanks
    It would be advisable to remove the prior patches if you're going to use WebOS Quick Install, especially if the tweaks are the same ones that a particular patch might have already enabled (however, it is your call). I will say though, It's too difficult to troubleshoot issues in WebOS Quick Install if prior patches exist from a different developer. Just something to keep in mind.
    Last edited by Achill3s; 09/08/2009 at 01:27 AM.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Hey guys,

Try to keep it civil.

Also,
    some questions get asked/answered often when it's a long thread. Which can become frustrating. So, please, do try and search first.

Thanks,
    Berd
    Why wont my webos quick install have tweek option...why after i use orca and still nothing
    Jason, can you add the date next to time tweek. This would allow me to get rid of the calendar-quick launch on the desktop.
    OK...

So I just finished almost three hours of reading >47 pages very thoroughly and trying several remedies to enable the SMS Tweaks.

Clearly, several of us cannot get the SMS Tweaks to work at all (although having the 4 "SMS Fix" files at least restores our ability to use the SMS capabilities of the Pre).

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    FYI, a heads up for those interested, the new update will be out by the upcoming weekend
    Jason, Do you plan to have updated SMS Tweaks available in the upcoming release of WebOS QI?

Here is my Story:

I have never rooted, patched or quilted my Pre, except through Web OS QI.

- Device: Palm Pre
    - Operating System: 32bit
    - Have you followed my troubleshooting guide completely? YES, and the followup posts specifically related to this Bug

I got the SMS White Screen Of Death (WSOD) when I tried to enable the SMS Tweaks, and although I can restore the SMS ability with your 4 files, I cannot for the life of me get the Tweaks to Work.

Here is my latest path of steps (1-4) and substeps (*):

*starting with a jacked up messaging function (WSOD, no responsiveness)
    *also have the newest WebOS QI 2.03 (v.from 09/08)
    *also starting in DevMode

1)
    *uncheck message forwarding
    *uncheck landscape messaging
    *uninstall preware
    *uninstall package manager
    *reboot
    *send Jason's 4 "messaging fix" files to Pre
    *reboot
    [Messaging DOES WORK at this point]

2)
    *turn off DevMode
    *reboot
    *turn on DevMode
    *reboot
    *re-download WebOS QI to appropriate folder
    *install package manager
    *install preware (not critical to this mission, but I need it anyway)
    *reboot

3)
    *check message forwarding in WebOS QI
    *reboot
    [Messaging DOES NOT WORK at this point (will not even open, not even the white screen of death: WSOD)]
    *recheck landscape messaging in WebOS QI
    [Messaging still DOES NOT WORK at this point]
    *reboot

4)
    *reboot
    *reboot

From my count since page ~95, the following folks have had the same non-responsive text thread & WSOD bug, and have been unable to get it working despite trying multiple fixes (although I think everyone has at least restored their SMS capability to stock with the 4 magic files... Thanks for those!!):

*splmonster
    *palm ftw
    *gunner636
    *jokerzwyld77
    *colnel kernel
    *Dr Grace
    *merrix
    *rustytaco's father
    *epotter pc

...and of course me, superduperpre.

If anyone whose name is on this list has indeed been able to get the SMS Tweaks working, please post here and PM me if you don't mind... I would like to hear how you did it after initially not being able to.

Thanks for the WebOS QI, Jason!! It is a real boon to us, and I appreciate your efforts to both advance the field and help us work out the bugs which always accompany this developmental process.

Will you be investigating the SMS Tweak issue further and do you think that this next update will address this problem?

TAGS for searchers:

SMS text bug WSOD white screen of death unresponsive nonresponsive tweak landscape forward message messaging reboot four files fix restore
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    One thing I've noticed is that Novacom will sometimes not overwrite itself if it is initially corrupted somehow. Uninstall Novacom (add/remove) programs, then open up Quick Install (File > options > Reinstall Novacom)

See if that works. I'm better with the XP setups but try that just in case it's that issue. Win7 is still too new a beast and I've yet to play with that version of Windows but hopefully soon.
    Same as everybody else, I spent hours to get this worked. I almost quit and going to bed.
    then I saw your post and noticed hadn't tried so I did,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

My Gosh ! WORKED!!

Anybody hasn't tried this. TRY IT OUT!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ceo2be View Post
    Try selecting Bell Mobility instead of Sprint, that did it for me. Even though I have the sprint version and the quickinstall in the same folder.
    Then what happens if you have to use WebOS Doctor? Your phone gets set to Bell's factory settings? Won't be much help if you are using Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsiegner View Post
    I have downloaded all of the correct programs.... but when i try and upload the apps to my phone it is saying no device found... my phone is in developer mode and i have it plugged into the computer as just charge... any suggestions?
    That happened to me the very first time I ran the program. I rebooted my PC and it's been working fine since. If you haven't got it working, try a reboot - both the PC and the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by fizymike View Post
    ok guys i really need help.

I tried reinstalling then re-uninstalling the tweaks in the hope that doing so would fix the messenger app, no such luck and now neither webosDoc nor webosQuickinstall recognize that my pre is plugged into my PC. I have restarted my computer and my pre, and a FULL restart to my pre(along with devmode)
    Check out this post to fix the messaging issue. You will need webOS quick install to see your Pre for that fix to work though. See if novacom is running in your task manager. Try restarting novacom. Try reinstalling novacom. Make sure devoloper mode is on.

And wow! I get drunk one weekend and miss almost 400 replies!?! I'm never going to get the 3000th post.
    OK problem, been working with Win7 x64 and no luck getting around the NO DEVICE FOUND error, SO...

I installed Virtual PC on my freinds Win7 and used XP mode....worked perfectly, so decided to try mine that way.

For some reason everytime I plug the Pre in to my computer it pops up as an UNRECOGNIZED USB device and will not install itself anymore. Is there a way to fix this (NOTE: had installed drivers previously on my machine for using with only Win7, so thats why my friends worked and mine might not be) and what is the problem etc as I cant get it to reinstall the drivers. And Novacom doesnt show up in the Add/remove programs as some have mentioned

Here is my setup:

Using Pre with WebOS 1.1 non-rooted, with Dev mode ON
    Read the Troubleshooting Guide.

Thanks in advance for the help!
    Last edited by DJeremyC; 09/08/2009 at 09:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by superduperpre View Post
    OK...

So I just finished almost three hours of reading >47 pages very thoroughly and trying several remedies to enable the SMS Tweaks.

Clearly, several of us cannot get the SMS Tweaks to work at all (although having the 4 "SMS Fix" files at least restores our ability to use the SMS capabilities of the Pre).

Jason, Do you plan to have updated SMS Tweaks available in the upcoming release of WebOS QI?

Here is my Story:

I have never rooted, patched or quilted my Pre, except through Web OS QI.

- Device: Palm Pre
    - Operating System: 32bit
    - Have you followed my troubleshooting guide completely? YES, and the followup posts specifically related to this Bug

I got the SMS White Screen Of Death (WSOD) when I tried to enable the SMS Tweaks, and although I can restore the SMS ability with your 4 files, I cannot for the life of me get the Tweaks to Work.

Here is my latest path of steps (1-4) and substeps (*):

*starting with a jacked up messaging function (WSOD, no responsiveness)
    *also have the newest WebOS QI 2.03 (v.from 09/08)
    *also starting in DevMode

1)
    *uninstall preware
    *uninstall package manager
    *reboot
    *reboot

2)
    *turn off DevMode
    *reboot
    *turn on DevMode
    *reboot
    *re-download WebOS QI to appropriate folder
    *install package manager
    *install preware (not critical to this mission, but I need it anyway)
    *reboot

3)
    *check message forwarding in WebOS QI
    *reboot
    [Messaging DOES NOT WORK at this point (will not even open, not even the white screen of death: WSOD)]
    *recheck landscape messaging in WebOS QI
    *reboot

4)
    *reboot
    *reboot

From my count since page ~95, the following folks have had the same non-responsive text thread & WSOD bug, and have been unable to get it working despite trying multiple fixes (although I think everyone has at least restored their SMS capability to stock with the 4 magic files... Thanks for those!!):

*splmonster
    *palm ftw
    *gunner636
    *jokerzwyld77
    *colnel kernel
    *Dr Grace
    *merrix
    *rustytaco's father
    *epotter pc

...and of course me, superduperpre.

If anyone whose name is on this list has indeed been able to get the SMS Tweaks working, please post here and PM me if you don't mind... I would like to hear how you did it after initially not being able to.

Thanks for the WebOS QI, Jason!! It is a real boon to us, and I appreciate your efforts to both advance the field and help us work out the bugs which always accompany this developmental process.

Will you be investigating the SMS Tweak issue further and do you think that this next update will address this problem?

TAGS for searchers:

SMS text bug WSOD white screen of death unresponsive nonresponsive tweak landscape forward message messaging reboot four files fix restore
    That's a great write up with excellent detail. The landscape text view is troublesome for many. The text forwarding seems to be more stable for most so I'm surprised that forwarding didn't work for you. What I would do is go through your #1 and then follow it up with #2 but this time, omit Preware and package manager for now. It's too difficult to try and narrow down the issue with too many variables. Since this is Jason's Quick Install thread, we need to rule that out as a potential cause. I think that at least text forwarding should work for you and when you install tweaks, start with text forwarding please (and test it before you install another tweak).

That being said and as I mentioned before, landscape text view has been hit and miss for many. If the above doesn't work for you, you might have to wait on a newer version from Jason to see if it works for you. Just have a little patience.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    OK problem, been working with Win7 x64 and no luck getting around the NO DEVICE FOUND error, SO...

I installed Virtual PC on my freinds Win7 and used XP mode....worked perfectly, so decided to try mine that way.

For some reason everytime I plug the Pre in to my computer it pops up as an UNRECOGNIZED USB device and will not install itself anymore. Is there a way to fix this (NOTE: had installed drivers previously on my machine for using with only Win7, so thats why my friends worked and mine might not be) and what is the problem etc as I cant get it to reinstall the drivers. And Novacom doesnt show up in the Add/remove programs as some have mentioned

Here is my setup:

Using Pre with WebOS 1.1 non-rooted, with Dev mode ON
    Read the Troubleshooting Guide.

Thanks in advance for the help!
    DJ, try this:

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ml#post1876637
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I posted this in my Audible.com and the Pre thread. Wanted to put it here also just to thank Jason. I am not sure what I am thinking him for (in addition to the GREAT tweaks I already thanked ghim for) but there's something in this package that makes classic run Audible better. If it can be isolated it'd be worth some $ since neither Palm nor Audible really seem to care about whether official software gets developed. Audible has all their goofy 'not my job' answers and Palm does not talk to humans directly.

"For all thread followers. I have had Audible running on Classic for a while now. Long enough I'd have to go read my own postings and others in the thread to do it again...but just last Friday I installed quickinstall and now Audible is even more stable. I was still having crashes now and then and sometimes it'd just disappear etc.
    Now this stuff seems to have stopped happening and it's the only change I made. Might have something to do with WEBOSDOCTOR being involved ...no idea really , but it seemed like a good tip to pass along."
    Treo 300,600,650,755p and now Pre
    One thing I've noticed is that Novacom will sometimes not overwrite itself if it is initially corrupted somehow. Uninstall Novacom (add/remove) programs, then open up Quick Install (File > options > Reinstall Novacom)

See if that works. I'm better with the XP setups but try that just in case it's that issue. Win7 is still too new a beast and I've yet to play with that version of Windows but hopefully soon.
    HUH?

This is the question I asked!

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ml#post1876246
    I tried searching the thread for this but nothing came up. I'm getting the following error:
    java.io.FileNotFoundException: http://palm.cdnetworks.net/staging/r...0ewwsprint.jar

Anyone know what this means?
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    Ahh, for some reason when I clicked on the first link, it took me to a different question (that's why I answered with the Novacom answer and it actually helped someone else, lol).

For you, I've got no help on that topic. Mac is something I'm not familiar with nor have I ever really used one. Maybe one of the Mac guys can help but I'm a Windows person myself. Sorry I couldn't help on that one.

The only thing that I can think of is that they both need to be in the same folder but I'm sure you've probably already covered that. And technically, they both don't require the same programs to work. Webdr can be started w/o WebOS Quick Install however, the same cannot be said about Quick Install (it does need WebDr in the same folder).

Also, did you try the SoyLatte that Jason had advised in his response for Java issues with Mac?
    Quote Originally Posted by kyata View Post
    I tried searching the thread for this but nothing came up. I'm getting the following error:
    java.io.FileNotFoundException: http://palm.cdnetworks.net/staging/r...0ewwsprint.jar

Anyone know what this means?
    What are you trying to do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Then what happens if you have to use WebOS Doctor? Your phone gets set to Bell's factory settings? Won't be much help if you are using Sprint.
    For me, if I selected the Bell Mobility option then I don't get that Java exception error and I was able to get quickinstall to load. I don't put the Bell version in the same folder with the quickinstall, I have the Sprint version. I checked my device info and it says Sprint 1.7 in the Configuration bar, so I guess it's still Sprint?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    That is strange. So you get the error message when you double click the WebOSQuickInstall.jar file? The webosdoctorp100ewwsprint file should also have a .jar extension when you first download it (webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar)

Do you have the latest version of java on your machine? You can check by going here to check it.

I see your running Vista....I have XP but I don't think that should matter.
    I have Java 6.0.160.1. It is still not working.
    What are you trying to do?
    Install this WebOS program. I just clicked yes to dl WebOSDoctor and this popped up. Before this I installed the latest version of Java (version 6 update 16).