webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developer Forums >  artxxork > Commander
Commander
Like Tree5Likes

Old 03/03/2012, 05:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Please post all comments related to Commander (https://developer.palm.com/appredire...d=xx.commander) here...

Commander
- file manager with ability to copy/rename/move/create/delete single or multiple files and/or directories (recursively)
- archive extractor with ability to extract whole archive or selected parts of the archive only (ZIP, 7z, tgz, tar, bz2, gz, z)
- file viewer with syntax highlighting - see Ace - The High Performance Code Editor for the Web

<b>vX.X.X</b>
Please consider donation to support further development:
- hotkeys customisation
- Search (including search by content)
- File compare by content
- Hex editor
- Patch support
- Archive move from/move into/copy into/delete from
- Password protected archives
- Cloud storage integration
- FTP upload/delete
- embedded Flash (swf) player
- embedded Video (VLC or mplayer) player
...and more

v0.1.0 https://app.box.com/s/kwry7j2z1camoywz7g97
NEW: cross-platform (rewritten using Enyo 2)
NEW: low resolution screen support
NEW: archive creation (7z and zip)
NEW: hex viewer (if binary file detected)
NEW: text editor (if text file detected; save not supported yet)
NEW: keyboard support (for navigation and hotkeys)
NEW: persistent preferences (no GUI yet, stored in JSON file)
NEW: resizable panels
REMOVED: FTP support (will be back later with webDAV/LAN/Cloud integration)
REMOVED: command library
REMOVED: image viewer
REMOVED: RAR support

v0.0.7
registered handler for RAR, ZIP and 7z files
additional sort option (dirs+files by date)
Refresh button
Themes support (put your CSS into /media/internal/appdata/xx.commander/theme.css)

v0.0.6
wildcard support
command library (various useful run commands)
image viewer improvements

v0.0.5
busy indicator to indicate ongoing background operation
sorting order (by name/extension/size/date) can be set in preferences
independent preferences for left and right panel
row height can be changed dynamically (use zoom-in / zoom-out gesture)

v0.0.4
file viewer with Syntax Highlighting (uses GNU Source-highlight 3.1.6)
rename single file or directory
improved Help screen
Home button with double functionality (move to top of the list OR go to home directory - depends if already on top of the list)

v0.0.3
basic FTP support - connect to server, browse directories download file(s) to device
Help screen

v0.0.2
preferences dialog - change Home directory and Show hidden files; preferences are not saved
show hidden files - will also list files/directories starting with '.'

v0.0.1
copy/move/mkdir/delete local files - use 'Ins' to add more items into selection
view images (bmp, gif, jpg, jpeg, png, ico) - swipe left/right to view all selected images
basic archive support (zip, tgz, tar, bz2, gz, z, 7z, rar)

For advanced users: how-to escape jail in Commander

Feel free to donate to support further development: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...=CKT5GAHGQ68P4

Last edited by artxxork; 01/15/2014 at 12:34 PM.
artxxork is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by panel likes this.
Thanked by panel, Wheel_nut
Old 03/07/2012, 02:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

very cool app. :-)

Tried to copy some files via ftp today. I was only able to copy one file, after this the buttons didn't react any more. I had to change dir and go back again in order to copy another file.
ChLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2012, 03:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

How do you extract archives with this app? I couldn't find out how...

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
matchqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2012, 04:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChLange View Post
very cool app. :-)
Tried to copy some files via ftp today. I was only able to copy one file, after this the buttons didn't react any more. I had to change dir and go back again in order to copy another file.
Try with v0.0.4 (when it is approved by HP) as it has many under-the-hood improvements. In this particular case it is possible that your FTP transfer is still happening (in the background) so any operations you are trying to do are queued (or cancelled automatically).
Little spinner in right-top corner indicating there is ongoing background operation would be nice (on todo list already)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchqq View Post
How do you extract archives with this app? I couldn't find out how...
-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Enter (or tap twice) as you would enter real directory ... you will see flat list of archive content ... select files you are interested in (using "Ins" or for single item just tap it once) ... then press "Copy"

Again: v0.0.4 is much better than v0.0.3 - as it tells you if you are trying to do any unsupported action (like delete from archive etc.)
Old 03/07/2012, 08:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artxxork View Post
Try with v0.0.4 (when it is approved by HP) as it has many under-the-hood improvements. In this particular case it is possible that your FTP transfer is still happening (in the background) so any operations you are trying to do are queued (or cancelled automatically).
Little spinner in right-top corner indicating there is ongoing background operation would be nice (on todo list already)

Enter (or tap twice) as you would enter real directory ... you will see flat list of archive content ... select files you are interested in (using "Ins" or for single item just tap it once) ... then press "Copy"

Again: v0.0.4 is much better than v0.0.3 - as it tells you if you are trying to do any unsupported action (like delete from archive etc.)
I love this app as I'm using Total Commander(which used to be Windows Commander) every day.
Haven't used it much but if it does all the cool stuff and more it seems by the description it's really nice. I read some of the comments in the catalog and have to agree that the font and folders are a bit tiny for touch interface.
Also tabs will be handy sometimes but I guess with what I'm about to use it for on the TP it's a bit of overkill. But in my day to day work where I need to access multiple file shares and keep "tabs" of all that is going on.
60RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2012, 01:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Great like its simplicity and interface, Gemini has more functions but is less intuitive.

BTW Do I overlook a file rename option or is it not yet in there? Would be great to have that.
Update: rename is apparently in 0.0.4

Last edited by renater; 03/08/2012 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Update: apparently in 0.0.4
renater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2012, 09:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

v0.0.4 won't be available anymore ... Rejection Pending ... will be replaced with v0.0.5 as soon as possible (depends on how quickly HP can reject/accept new version)

v0.0.5
busy indicator to indicate ongoing background operation
sorting order (by name/extension/size/date) can be set in preferences
independent preferences for left and right panel
row height can be changed dynamically (use zoom-in / zoom-out gesture)
Old 03/09/2012, 07:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

Installed on a Pre 3 with App Tuckerbox. Sweet. But I only have 7 buttons on the bottom (view, edit, copy, move, mkDir, Del, Home". I think I'm missing "ins" (and another?) which would permit me to do multiple selections. The "Edit" button doesn't seem to do anything either.

So I guess the Pre 3 version isn't far off?

The ability to define favorites or shortcuts would be great and much appreciated. Love the version X upcoming features!

Edit...one sorting error: I have a folder named "-VIDEOS" and it appears above the level up folder/button ".." because of the hyphen. I assume the ".." folder should always be first in the list.

Edit 2: just added viewport metatag <meta name="viewport" content="height=device-height, width=device-width"> and now I get all 11 bottom buttons. I'm using 0.0.3, but am thus looking forward to the row height zoom as everything's quite tiny now.

Edit 3: Wow. How do you get it to load images so quickly? I get the high resolution zoomable version instantly, even with animated gifs, and I can swipe back and forth without waiting for background process to finally load the next picture.

I finally figured out the delayed double tap: first tap selects, second opens the file. I had initially been trying to aim for the little tiny (at least on a Pre 3 screen) icon, as in Internalz (tap on icon opens, tap on filename opens context menu).

Last edited by Goyena; 03/09/2012 at 08:49 AM.
Goyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/15/2012, 07:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

Awesome work Artxxork.

One request: Can you make the app save and re-use the line heights when zoomed?
Old 03/15/2012, 08:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Preferences are loaded on startup already ... just saving them is not implemented yet ... it is planned as part of Themes/Skins support - user will be able to define row height, fonts used for name, size, date, colors etc ... but patience is the key here as there is no time schedule for new versions ... 0.0.6 is ready - but only adds wildcards support and command library
Old 03/15/2012, 08:47 AM   #11 (permalink)

It's awesome already that you can turn out even those incremental updates so fast. Thanks.

Was something fundamental changed on the in-app image viewer between 0.0.3 and 0.0.5? I do admit I'm running it slightly modified (on a Pre 3 with the viewport device-height and device width tag) but it would perfectly before. Now, when I double-tap, the images open in default app (Internalz). When I use the View button, the image is overlaid over the app gui (you can still see Commander to the right and left of the image). The image can't be zoomed and can't be swiped to go to the next.

Any chance I can have an ipk of 0.0.3, pretty please? :-D
Old 03/15/2012, 12:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
Was something fundamental changed on the in-app image viewer between 0.0.3 and 0.0.5? I do admit I'm running it slightly modified (on a Pre 3 with the viewport device-height and device width tag) but it would perfectly before. Now, when I double-tap, the images open in default app (Internalz). When I use the View button, the image is overlaid over the app gui (you can still see Commander to the right and left of the image).
Yes. Embedded IMG viewer is (as text viewer) launched with "View" button; "Enter" (or double-tap) is used for launching default (system-wide) application. This is standard behaviour for "file managers" .

Quote:
The image can't be zoomed and can't be swiped to go to the next.
Image CAN be zoomed (and can be swiped left/right IF more files are selected ... marked for viewing using "Ins").

Quote:
Any chance I can have an ipk of 0.0.3, pretty please? :-D
Embedded IMG viewer will be improved in next version - solid background will be back (as this is much better for transparent images) ... and tapping "View" on supported file with empty selection (ie no other selected files) will automatically add all image files from current directory into selection.
This will bring image viewer from v0.0.3 - only difference being button for launching it (Enter in 0.0.3 vs View in 0.0.6+).
Thanked by Goyena, Tim Dugan
Old 03/18/2012, 08:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

This is a great app, thanks for the hard work!!

I mount USB drives into a folder in /media/internal and at this point I cannot see the contents in Commander. I can see the folder listing in Internalz Pro, but Commander is a much easier to use application. Do you have any plans to include this capability in some future release?

Wayne
WDPage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/19/2012, 04:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

This capability is already implemented (in v0.0.6) ... unfortunately HP is quite slow with with App Catalog updates.

But I can confirm that 0.0.6 can run as 'root' (with little help from user obviously)...details will be published once 0.0.6 is public... which means access to whole file system, ability to run any (shell) command.
Thanked by WDPage, Wheel_nut
Old 03/21/2012, 05:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

So v0.0.6 is public - here is simple how-to ENABLE ROOT (full file system access and unrestricted shell commands)

Part I - edit /etc/event.d/customization-install (remount / for rw first)
Add following lines before 'end script':
Code:
        if [ -x /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/xx.commander/bin/service -a -f /media/internal/appdata/xx.commander/nojail ]; then
        	/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/xx.commander/bin/service hotkey &
        fi
Part || - create file /media/internal/appdata/xx.commander/nojail
Code:
touch /media/internal/appdata/xx.commander/nojail
Part III - restart device

After reboot you can launch Commander application using 'hotkey' - quickly press/release (physical) Home button twice. If you want temporarily disable hotkey - just rename or delete 'nojail' in appdata subdirectory and restart device.

NOTE: You can still launch application tapping icon in launcher - that way it will be launched in default (jailer) mode.
NOTE: This only works on Touchpad-s, guide for phones will be available later

Last edited by artxxork; 01/15/2014 at 11:40 AM.
Liked by Wheel_nut likes this.
Thanked By: Wheel_nut
Old 03/22/2012, 04:41 AM   #16 (permalink)

Can it then "see" network mounts also?

So root access is only available via Hot Key?

I'd rather have the root access every time especially when started from the launcher. How can I do this?

Thanx in advance.
berzerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2012, 11:20 AM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by berzerk View Post
Can it then "see" network mounts also?
Yes

Quote:
So root access is only available via Hot Key?
Yes

Quote:
I'd rather have the root access every time especially when started from the launcher. How can I do this?
https://developer.palm.com/content/a...our-hybrid-app
By default 'nojail' file is deleted upon restart, but you can disable this check if you really want disable this security measure... but it is NOT RECOMMENDED, USE IT ON YOUR OWN RISK

Last edited by artxxork; 03/29/2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03/29/2012, 11:44 AM   #18 (permalink)

Any way to make it remember FTP settings?
roberts2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/29/2012, 12:20 PM   #19 (permalink)

One of my favorite features is the ability to sort by date. I noticed the files sort by date but not the directories. While not critical, would be nice to have directories sort as well.
texasflood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/29/2012, 12:34 PM   #20 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

FTP: already on todo list - technically easy (will use cookies for storing server/dir/login/password-optionally) ... maybe in 0.0.7 or (more realistically in 0.0.8)

Sort-by-date: sounds like 5th option ... name / ext / size / date (files only) / date (also dirs) ... 15mins work ... so should be available in 0.0.7

Tags
artxxork commander

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0