webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developer Forums >  artxxork > Commander
Commander
Like Tree5Likes

Old 08/17/2012, 02:04 PM   #61 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by artxxork View Post
Your bold part is related to case 'If the place to copy the object code is a network server ...'
So, then which other of those five cases does apply for you?
Do you ship a physical product? No. So a) and b) don't apply.
c) Do you "Convey individual copies"? I'm not sure on this, but in this case you'd still fail to provide "a copy of the written offer to provide the Corresponding Source".
d) is in my opinion most likely, that's why I quoted that in my last post.
You don't use (nor does HP) "peer-to-peer transmission", so e) doesn't apply either.
So it's either c) or d), and you currently don't comply with any of these requirements.

Quote:
Btw. Release notes clearly states that Commander uses GNU Source-highlight 3.1.6 together with link to its homepage - which is most probably enough, considering interaction is exclusively via command line use, no source code was modified and no source/object code is part of PDK service.
Please read the GPL license text. Or at least Wikipedia and GPL's FAQ...
E. g. in GPL it doesn't matter if you modified the source or not.
And the App Catalog description certainly isn't enough, it's not included in the distributed product, it doesn't provide nor link to a copy of the license, it doesn't give instructions on how to obtain the source code, and it doesn't even mention 7-zip.
IMHO, the end user should have a way to see which (L)GPL software was used (no matter how your application interacts with it), which license they're under (either link to it or include a copy of the license), and instructions on how to obtain the source code which was used to build the binaries you distribute.

Quote:
No suggestion?
I don't guarantee that this 100% fits the licenses, but I'd do it something like this:
Mention the open source software distributed with your application in the "About" dialog, link to the licenses or, better, include the license texts, and provide instructions on how to obtain the source code.

Quote:
So can we stop this discussion please?
If you show any willingness to respect the rights of people whose software you've redistributed, sure.

By the way, I really like the idea of your app.
It's just that I want people who release their software under such permissive licenses like GPL or even LGPL to be supported, and their little rights should be fully respected.

I am not a lawyer, I was talking about my last holiday in this post and haven't given any legal advice.
Archive Manager extract and create archives (zip, rar, 7z, )
FTPit! full-featured FTP client for webOS
Twitter: @pcworldSoftware; e-mail (contact, support, buy apps via PayPal) if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
pcworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2012, 02:28 PM   #62 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Why do you think that one of the 5 cases MUST apply? What if there is new use case which is not handled yet? Just in theory...

Anyway - based on your suggestion - part of the distribution will be text file with links (valid at the time of writing) to homepages of used products ... same way as HP Touchpad comes with "Open Source Information.pdf" placed in /media/internal ... once v0.0.8 is public feel free to review it...
artxxork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2012, 02:42 PM   #63 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Why do you think that one of the 5 cases MUST apply? What if there is new use case which is not handled yet? Just in theory...
Because of that:
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
You may convey a covered work in object code form under the terms of sections 4 and 5, provided that you also convey the machine-readable Corresponding Source under the terms of this License, in one of these ways: [...]
You see that one of these "ways" MUST apply IF you want to redistribute GPL software in object form.
If there's a "use case which is not handled yet" you couldn't use the software the way you want, unless the copyright owner(s) release the software under another license or give you explicit permission.

Quote:
Anyway - based on your suggestion - part of the distribution will be text file with links (valid at the time of writing) to homepages of used products ... same way as HP Touchpad comes with "Open Source Information.pdf" placed in /media/internal ... once v0.0.8 is public feel free to review it...
(Note that "Open Source Information.pdf" also includes a full copy of the license texts and the copyright notices of each open source software.)
It might be appropriate to provide a hint somewhere in the user interface on where to find your text file.
Archive Manager extract and create archives (zip, rar, 7z, )
FTPit! full-featured FTP client for webOS
Twitter: @pcworldSoftware; e-mail (contact, support, buy apps via PayPal) if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
pcworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2012, 03:26 PM   #64 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Thanks for your input.
Old 09/15/2012, 05:28 PM   #65 (permalink)

Hi Artxxork,

I have encountered a problem in Commander when operating on files which have an apostrophe in the filename. For example, if I mark a file called Aesop's Fables in the left pane and press Copy, the copy fails.

I have noticed that when Commander displays the Linux command in a panel, it adds slashes(/) each it finds a Space or an Apostrophe.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - Wheel-nut
Wheel_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2012, 05:36 PM   #66 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

yeah ... also [ and ] are problem ... v0.0.8 fixes this ... stay tuned
Old 10/02/2012, 08:12 PM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
yeah ... also [ and ] are problem ... v0.0.8 fixes this ... stay tuned
Hi Artxxork, Still tuned.... How's V0.0.8 doing?
Old 10/03/2012, 07:18 AM   #68 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

waiting for VLC player to be finished so it can support some common audio/video files that built-in player cannot play
Liked by renater and agmorris1 like this.
Old 10/09/2012, 06:21 PM   #69 (permalink)

Wow! Well worth waiting for. :-)
Old 11/20/2012, 10:13 AM   #70 (permalink)
tfj

I'm not sure why my TP was missing the /etc/event.d folder before, but it's there now (and full of files),
and, I didn't have to set up novacom in order to root xx.commander - I was able to accomplish this entirely
on-board the TP by using rooted wterm.

p.s. the xxcommander rooting commands can be run as a stand-alone script.

Last edited by tfj; 01/23/2013 at 03:32 PM. Reason: P.S.
tfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2012, 10:18 AM   #71 (permalink)
tfj

While the rooted xxcommander can now list the files in a loop-mounted filesystem, it apparently won't display the html and pdf files - the web-browser says 'No internet connection', and Adobe Reader says 'an Error has occurred'. JPGs, GIFs, and PNGs will usually display.
Old 11/20/2012, 01:23 PM   #72 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

This is probably due to simple fact that only Commander is rooted, not other apps like Web and Adobe Reader.
JPG/GIF/PNGs are opened directly by Commander (internal viewer). HTML/PDF/etc... are opened by associated app (via service call).

One possible solution is to modify your 'jail' specification, ie include your loop-mounted filesystem so it is also mounted by jailer. Doing this will also allow use non-rooted Commander for accessing these files...
Thanked By: tfj
Old 01/03/2013, 05:28 AM   #73 (permalink)

Is it possible to turn off FTP 'Passive' mode in Commander?

I'm trying to log in to my Humax HDR box, which for some reason will only accept Active Mode FTP connections. Is it possible to instruct Commander to use Active mode?
NikThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2013, 08:09 AM   #74 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Currently there is no such option in GUI; However It is possible to patch Commander's JS code to use active mode.

Checkbox for mode selection will be added in future version.
Old 01/23/2013, 03:30 PM   #75 (permalink)
tfj

Is there a proper way to set xxcommander's preference defaults - in particular, for the two sides to have
different defaults? I've tried editing the relevant-looking line in commander.js, which half-works, but the two sides remain
identical.

Thanks,
tfj
Old 10/10/2013, 02:18 PM   #76 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

hello,

thank you for your work on this :-)

is there any progress with new version or development stopped?
Old 12/15/2013, 07:23 AM   #77 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Phone version is in the works - but no ETA yet - will include some improvements too...
Thanked By: Gwidion
Old 01/15/2014, 12:54 PM   #78 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Not in the catalog yet, download here https://app.box.com/s/kwry7j2z1camoywz7g97 and report issues...

NEW: cross-platform (rewritten using Enyo 2)
NEW: low resolution screen support
NEW: archive creation (7z and zip)
NEW: hex viewer (if binary file detected)
NEW: text editor (if text file detected; save not supported yet)
NEW: keyboard support (for navigation and hotkeys)
NEW: persistent preferences (no GUI yet, stored in JSON file)
NEW: resizable panels
REMOVED: FTP support (will be back later with webDAV/LAN/Cloud integration)
REMOVED: command library
REMOVED: image viewer
REMOVED: RAR support

Hotkeys are undocumented, here are some(?) of them:
Code:
back gesture (ESC) - close dialog, remove selection
back key - go to top -> go to parent or (if already on top of root) go to home directory
@ - move up
. - move down
spacebar - add/remove to/from selection
h - show/hide hidden files (in active panel only)

a - ADD NEW (create directory / file / archive)
c - COPY
d - DELETE
m - MOVE
r - RENAME
s - SELECT (add to selection via mask)
v - VIEW

tab - swap active panel
left - make left panel active
right - make right panel active
home - go to top
end - go to end
enter - open directory / file / archive
In addition, in viewer:
Code:
back gesture - close viewer
Sym + s - smaller font
Sym + w - larger font
Comments welcome.

WARNING:
Sym key does not pop-up symbol table for entering special characters. It is handled purely as Ctrl key (and it is reported as Ctrl key by OS). There will be built-in replacement for this missing functionality in next version

Last edited by artxxork; 01/15/2014 at 01:58 PM.
Liked by Gwidion likes this.
Thanked by Gwidion, p41m3r
Old 03/02/2014, 07:26 AM   #79 (permalink)

This could be really useful; thx! The Windows utility by the same name immed comes to mind (as well as Directory Opus). Will install later.

Quote:
REMOVED: image viewer
Does that mean no more gif, jpg or png support? If so, do you plan to add it back in the future?

How about an internal pdf render engine (mupdf? Xpdf?)? The os is also lacking in those areas - no decent image or pdf solutions. Out of utter frustration last year, I vowed to make that (as well as chm, rtf, and vce) a personal thing and enlist the help of some acquaintances. webOS, as we all know, is not the easiest sell ATM, so that didnt pan out. Hopefully one day.
p41m3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/02/2014, 09:32 AM   #80 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

PDF app is being worked on by Ports based on pdf.js! It works on legacy too!

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Tags
artxxork commander

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0