PDA

View Full Version : Josh laments webOS...

laoh
03/03/2012, 07:10 PM
On this week's Vergecast.
54:53

The Vergecast 020 - 03.02.2012 | The Verge (http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/2/2838866/the-vergecast-020-03-02-2012)

Music to my ears :)

MDsmartphone
03/03/2012, 07:27 PM
its quite amazing how they reference hp/webOS/palm/touchpad weekly...without fail.

p41m3r
03/04/2012, 09:22 AM
Funny that he misses it now... the Engadget crew did a decent job dogging it back then.
But we all feel his pain.

Derek Kessler
03/04/2012, 02:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i28UEoLXVFQ

sorli
03/04/2012, 03:02 PM
Very interesting and wow I'm guessing Barcelona wasn't that exciting. Don't know really since I haven't been paying much attention to Verge, Engadget or otherwise as of late. Either way, thanks for the link and insight. Sorli...

Update: interesting article and worth the listen. Thanks for the timing 54mins mark, but I listed to the whole things and liked how things progressed where things did.

MDsmartphone
03/04/2012, 05:42 PM
By the way has has dieter just completely abandoned webos? on the verge mobile podcast he seems to Intentionally avoid the subject altogether. I'm. Sure he's catering to. His new audience but seriously hownmuch can one talk about android devices when they are just iterations of last month's device

kryptonite_2448
03/04/2012, 08:02 PM
By the way has has dieter just completely abandoned webos? on the verge mobile podcast he seems to Intentionally avoid the subject altogether. I'm. Sure he's catering to. His new audience but seriously hownmuch can one talk about android devices when they are just iterations of last month's device

Dieter does not cover webOS because he is with Lisa Brewster, better known as @Adora who is employed by the webOS team. If you go to his profile on The Verge it even states it: Dieter Bohn Articles & Activity | The Verge (http://www.theverge.com/users/Dieter%20Bohn) "Personal Ethics Statement: Dieter's better half works at HP. Thus, he does not cover HP for The Verge."

So, no, he's not catering to his new audience. He's doing what he has to do.

MDsmartphone
03/04/2012, 08:16 PM
To bad really sad to see one of the most vocal palm supporters talk only about android gibberish.. I like androidhardware but really hard to get excited about them given the frequency of releases and even harder to listen to podcasters talk about them.

speaking of which when is the next paomcast?

Adora
03/04/2012, 10:40 PM
To bad really sad to see one of the most vocal palm supporters talk only about android gibberish.

I know, right?? :D

eblade
03/05/2012, 02:26 AM
Did someone play the "Summon Adora" card?

bluenote
03/05/2012, 07:41 AM
On this week's Vergecast.
54:53

The Vergecast 020 - 03.02.2012 | The Verge (http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/2/2838866/the-vergecast-020-03-02-2012)

Music to my ears :)

Here's the thing: I'm glad Topolsky keeps referencing webOS. Its not wasted time. Sooner or later some hardware manufacturer is going to take a look at webOS and decide that its worthwhile supporting this over android (with google-owned motorola purchase).
Until then, lets continue to support webos-internals, as they will be the main engine driving anything interesting that happens with webOS (it will not be HP beyond completing the opensource roadmap they published)

http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-open-source-general-discussion/311865-isis-browser-donations-whos-me.html

gbp
03/05/2012, 09:33 AM
Here's the thing: I'm glad Topolsky keeps referencing webOS. Its not wasted time. Sooner or later some hardware manufacturer is going to take a look at webOS and decide that its worthwhile supporting this over android (with google-owned motorola purchase).
Until then, lets continue to support webos-internals, as they will be the main engine driving anything interesting that happens with webOS (it will not be HP beyond completing the opensource roadmap they published)

http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-open-source-general-discussion/311865-isis-browser-donations-whos-me.html

Know what, I don't think its going to happen.

I was patiently waiting for the likes of Sony or LG to use webOS. These two are behind Samsung/HTC on Android sales. I hoped that they choose webOS because its the third alternative. That didn't happen. The other OEMs for Android , Lenovo, Acer ... Asus are timid companies who are scared of Microsoft. Their main source of revenue is from the PC division. They might choose Windows mobile than webOS. I see Microsoft burning few million dollar bills a day till they position their mobile OS as the third choice. Overall I think no OEM is interested in webOS until they reach a point where they make less money on Android and are forced to make phones for Microsoft with losses. The only hope for HP to do a 180. But that might take couple of years before they start accumulating cash on their balance sheet. The other option is for HP is to persuade Huawei or that Indian mobile outfit LAVA (http://www.lavamobiles.com/home)who took the risk of jumping in mobile handset business with Intel processors.

Its my third year with Pre- on Sprint. No phone came closer to the webOS with Pre form factor for getting things done faster.

All in all, I am sick of the whole thing. Gutless HP and timid OEMs.

doctj
03/05/2012, 11:18 AM
My Pre plus is literally falling apart. It has cracks so wide you can see the internal circuitry. I'm now faced with the awful possibility of mobile spyware (android) or an iphone which for all it's apps is still a half-baked phone. I was viewing the "improved" notifications on my wife's iphone and it's still a joke compared to the Pre. I've read that webOS 2.0 bluetooth is incompatible with BMW's so I can't take that last upgrade path as I absolutely need that functionality. HP really screwed this up.

bluenote
03/05/2012, 12:17 PM
Know what, I don't think its going to happen.

I was patiently waiting for the likes of Sony or LG to use webOS. These two are behind Samsung/HTC on Android sales. I hoped that they choose webOS because its the third alternative. That didn't happen. The other OEMs for Android , Lenovo, Acer ... Asus are timid companies who are scared of Microsoft. Their main source of revenue is from the PC division. They might choose Windows mobile than webOS. I see Microsoft burning few million dollar bills a day till they position their mobile OS as the third choice. Overall I think no OEM is interested in webOS until they reach a point where they make less money on Android and are forced to make phones for Microsoft with losses. The only hope for HP to do a 180. But that might take couple of years before they start accumulating cash on their balance sheet. The other option is for HP is to persuade Huawei or that Indian mobile outfit LAVA (http://www.lavamobiles.com/home)who took the risk of jumping in mobile handset business with Intel processors.

Its my third year with Pre- on Sprint. No phone came closer to the webOS with Pre form factor for getting things done faster.

All in all, I am sick of the whole thing. Gutless HP and timid OEMs.

I see you've thought about this. What I've learning also in life there is the "X" factor where some unknown player comes in and changes the game. We don't know how this might play out with webOS.

In the meantime, do yourself a favor and get a Franken Pre2. Once you get one, you will be sorry you didn't do it sooner and as someone who enjoys webOS like you do, its the right move.

ajs26
03/05/2012, 03:37 PM
My Pre plus is literally falling apart. It has cracks so wide you can see the internal circuitry. I'm now faced with the awful possibility of mobile spyware (android) or an iphone which for all it's apps is still a half-baked phone. I was viewing the "improved" notifications on my wife's iphone and it's still a joke compared to the Pre. I've read that webOS 2.0 bluetooth is incompatible with BMW's so I can't take that last upgrade path as I absolutely need that functionality. HP really screwed this up.
WebOS 2.2.4 (I have a Pre3 on Verizon) definitely IS compatible with BMWs (I have a 2012 528i) and it works fine for phone and contacts - and playing music.

Stevesrjr86
03/05/2012, 03:43 PM
do yourself a favor and get a Franken Pre2. Once you get one, you will be sorry you didn't do it sooner

I completely agree. Did the swap last summer but was mad that I waited that long to do it in the first place. The performance is night and day!

OldSkoolVWLover
03/05/2012, 05:00 PM
GSM Just saying :D

Veer/Pre2/Pre3

laingman
03/05/2012, 05:20 PM
WebOS 2.2.4 (I have a Pre3 on Verizon) definitely IS compatible with BMWs (I have a 2012 528i) and it works fine for phone and contacts - and playing music.

I think they made some changes to the Bluetooth with 2.2.4 for the better

gbp
03/06/2012, 08:23 AM
I see you've thought about this. What I've learning also in life there is the "X" factor where some unknown player comes in and changes the game. We don't know how this might play out with webOS.

In the meantime, do yourself a favor and get a Franken Pre2. Once you get one, you will be sorry you didn't do it sooner and as someone who enjoys webOS like you do, its the right move.

I guess I will pass on the franken thing and switch to ATT with Pre3 :).

I scratch my head when I see any news about Sony Mobile phones. Its not that Sony doesn't have smart people who did not know about webOS, they are just timid to take the risk. They ignored Meego too. They are just providing a phone to their gaming folks. And they are content with the small money they make.

Someone should tell them that they will become the next RIMM in all their business.

gbp
03/06/2012, 08:24 AM
GSM Just saying :D

Veer/Pre2/Pre3

Yess,
Talk and browse.

doctj
03/06/2012, 10:53 AM
That's encouraging. Do you mean music can be streamed via bluetooth? Can messages and email be downloaded to the car? Does it transfer ongoing calls from the phone to the car and vice versa?

laoh
03/06/2012, 04:25 PM

What's actually the norm is Josh or someone manages to bring up webOS in nearly every Vergecast. And it's usually to the tune of "I told myself I'm not going to talk about it" but they end of talking about it. Josh was a very big supporter of webOS. Even when Ruby went on his engadget show and showed him pre3, he voiced that pre3 will be his next phone. Even when HP cancelled pre3, he commented on one Vergecast the fact that he had a pre3 right there next to him and how badly he wanted to use it (although that reference was more to the tune of how unfinished pre3s software was).... I think when Open webOS comes up and alive and we start seeing some new devices, he'll be one of the first to take the dive.

laingman
03/06/2012, 05:05 PM
I have a feeling josh will always use an iphone no matter what

jdlashley
03/06/2012, 06:11 PM
I have a feeling josh will always use an iphone no matter what

He's been using the Nexus S as his main phone for a while now; I think he might have a Galaxy Nexus, too.

laingman
03/06/2012, 06:21 PM
Really, didn't think that would ever happen. I stopped following them for a while