PDA

View Full Version : KalemSoft Media Player for TouchPad

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

damienh
07/21/2011, 07:19 AM
KalemSoft Media Player has just been released for the TouchPad on the App Catalogue ;-)

This is a very good app to watch videos with a wide variety of codec support (including .avi divx/xvid, etc...)

At least .avi files won't need to be converted to .mp4 to work on the TP and with this app we are able to see file names (not the case in HP's photos/video app)

bluenote
07/21/2011, 07:23 AM
I have some version on my TouchPad that looks like it was resized from the phone version. It won't run an M4v file. Will yours?

damienh
07/21/2011, 07:28 AM
This version seems to be TP optimized and has just been released today. I haven't tried with m4v files. Looks ok but the interface could benefit from some polishing (thumbnail preview / auto indexing...)

laingman
07/21/2011, 07:45 AM
should the touchpad version be able to stream over 3g using free tether?

Beanis
07/21/2011, 07:51 AM
This may be just what I was waiting for, but before dropping $7 can someone verify that it plays most bittorented .avi files? (xvid/dvix/mkv)

Most importantly, can it do it locally or only stream from it's server?

Siah1214
07/21/2011, 08:10 AM
This may be just what I was waiting for, but before dropping $7 can someone verify that it plays most bittorented .avi files? (xvid/dvix/mkv)

Most importantly, can it do it locally or only stream from it's server?
"It can play audio/video content stored locally on device ... [for streaming content] the content is streamed ... without [any] relay server in the middle"

megaman821
07/21/2011, 08:32 AM
I really wish this was DLNA compliant, I don't really want to install more software to stream stuff when the built in ability already exists. Also, there are some devices like NAS's that have DLNA streaming built in but where you can't install anything on them.

Beanis
07/21/2011, 08:34 AM
Ok so next question: Can it play videos stored on box.net?

sledge007
07/21/2011, 08:48 AM
Can someone here help me with this port forwarding? I had a hell of a time setting up uTorrent Remote for my Pre....and it was some months ago as well. I have a D-Link DIR-615 router, I have the Streamer client set up and the app paid for and launched. I thought I knew what I was doing, but I keep getting hung out to dry.

Felipe
07/21/2011, 09:29 AM
Can someone here help me with this port forwarding? I had a hell of a time setting up uTorrent Remote for my Pre....and it was some months ago as well. I have a D-Link DIR-615 router, I have the Streamer client set up and the app paid for and launched. I thought I knew what I was doing, but I keep getting hung out to dry.

i didnt have to do anything on my server.

download software,
run setup,
create account
do the set up for streaming and folders
after folders, the app finally runs and you should be able to connect once you input the same account info on the tp.

i was able to play 2/3 files that i copied over.

i was able to stream all the files i tried, even the file that would show up locally.

the one file that didnt even show up in the listings, even though i copied it over and was able to play it on my pc from the tp, was a 2gig+ avi file.

i havent tested mkv files, apparently dont have any yet.

i too wish i didnt have to install yet another media streamer (this is the 3rd on the laptop), but would dnla work out side of the network?

sorli
07/21/2011, 09:49 AM
I really wish this was DLNA compliant, I don't really want to install more software to stream stuff when the built in ability already exists. Also, there are some devices like NAS's that have DLNA streaming built in but where you can't install anything on them.

Would also prefer DLNA or uPNP support since I use mostly Mac computers and they don't have a server client for anything besides Windows.

Either way, it worked pretty well on my Pre with little effort on my part and the new TP interface also looks real clean. Also like the ability to play and transcode anything or almost anything. Sorli...

sorli
07/21/2011, 09:57 AM
i was able to stream all the files i tried, even the file that would show up locally.

the one file that didnt even show up in the listings, even though i copied it over and was able to play it on my pc from the tp, was a 2gig+ avi file.

i havent tested mkv files, apparently dont have any yet.

i too wish i didnt have to install yet another media streamer (this is the 3rd on the laptop), but would dnla work out side of the network?

DLNA works over WAN and is supported on a network setup to handle Port Forwarding and proper communication on the outside. My ZyXEL NSA221 has built-in Dynamic-DNS support to make this option easier and map external domain names to internal resources and NAS.

Please also note, I referenced my ZyXEL NSA221 NAS and this unit has some flaws and it should only be purchased at significant discount like I bought it or replaced with something newer and faster. Sorli...

sledge007
07/21/2011, 10:15 AM
56 minutes on the phone with D-Link and I'm getting nothing accomplished. Don't know if I can stay up much longer.

Ok I got it working on my home wifi finally...now to see if it'll work via freeTether

I don't know why I can't get my brain around port forwarding, but it's never been a strong suit.

scotsmn30
07/21/2011, 10:16 AM
I was thinking of buying this app, but wanted to verify if it would play video that is local on the TP and is 2+gigs. Has anyone tried this yet or is that the limit period??

sledge007
07/21/2011, 10:58 AM
Ok scotsmn30 it plays local media files both audio and video. I ended up getting it working. Almost flawless on home wifi, but as far as going through freeTether very, very choppy due to running out of buffer room. Mind you, my phone's in one of those spots in the house. At this point, I'm happy just streaming through home wifi, as this is where that hammock, under the umbrella, on the deck comes in. I worked all night, stayed up half the morning trying to get this to work.

Bottom line, if you're looking for something to stream while you're hanging out in your yard, then I'd recommend it. As far as going through freeTether, I'm done testing it out for now, I'll try again later after I get some sleep.

danh35
07/21/2011, 11:13 AM
Just bought it, awesome app. This came out just in time, I'm going on a trip tomorrow, so now I don't have to waste time converting the video files I want to bring with me.

normalo
07/21/2011, 12:16 PM
I bought the app and it does play a mkv file with approx. 12 gb (1920 x 1080 resolution). So it does work with files bigger than 2 gb.

bb147
07/21/2011, 02:05 PM
I bought the app and it does play a mkv file with approx. 12 gb (1920 x 1080 resolution). So it does work with files bigger than 2 gb.

Does it work nicely? Good frame rates, etc?

Btw, can someone try if RMVB streaming works?

Edit: Damn, no RMVB, doesn't even show up. and I wish it would just use either the "proper" aspect ratio, stretched or zoomed in. Right now its like 16:9 or 4:3 and that's it.

I like the streaming though, definitely nice to have. Copying some local files over to see how it handles that.

Edit 2: 720p MKVs (the ones I tried) didn't work properly, it played but the sound is all garbled.

I am really liking this app just because I no longer have to convert anything!

Theonlyix
07/21/2011, 03:35 PM
where Is it, cant find it in the app cat, is it geo restricted?

Theonlyix
07/21/2011, 04:02 PM
nm. Its in paid, so users outside of release countries cant access it :-(

d503
07/21/2011, 04:05 PM
Edit 2: 720p MKVs (the ones I tried) didn't work properly, it played but the sound is all garbled.

I am really liking this app just because I no longer have to convert anything!

I played some MKVs and XviD encoded AVIs on it. I noticed two things:
- MKV file had jittery framerate for video and was out of sync (audio was ahead)
- The XviD file was sync'd audio wise, but the audio frequency seemed slow (voices were deeper than they should've been)

I haven't tried any other files, but will report back when I see some of my other AVIs and how they stack up.

miles4000
07/21/2011, 04:52 PM
Any one use it with an video capture card in pc and stream TV? I wonder if it would work with my old ATI All in One card.

bb147
07/21/2011, 05:21 PM
Any one use it with an video capture card in pc and stream TV? I wonder if it would work with my old ATI All in One card.

i tried with a USB capture card and it won't work.

setup the channels and everything but when I try to watch, it just stops after a few seconds (no video or sound)

Felipe
07/21/2011, 09:31 PM
just any fyi to clear up my 2gig file issue.

i transferred it to the same folder that i did the other two files, but kalemsoft does not see it. it doesnt list it.

while internalz does see it.

i reported it.

sidotij
07/21/2011, 10:28 PM
I don't go out of my way to buy apps... usually I can do what I need to with the free apps.

That being said I decided to spring for KalemSoft Media Player
We have several different mobile players in the house and after a lot of trial and error found one that plays on all the devices.. until I got my TouchPad that is

and let me tell you.. you'd be damn lucky to get away with your fingers if you try to take it away from me.

This app works beautifully on my touchpad and saved me from having to re-rip/convert a library of DVDs for offline viewing

Weaser999
07/21/2011, 10:29 PM
So far it's working fairly well for me. AVI and Xvid non-encoded files do get grainy if blown up to full screen. Seem ok in 16:9. I find if you do encode them through Kalem they are better quality, but definately watchable even if not encoded. Good start. I hope it does get upgraded eventually for better full screen of non-encoded video.

sledge007
07/21/2011, 10:46 PM
Ok, I am 150km north of my house approximately,& streaming movies onto my TouchPad with this app! I do have to let it stream for awhile to let it get ahead a bit,but pretty cool nonetheless! Music files are no problem. No wait required. This IS FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!! Thanks KalemSoft :D

Only thing that would be cool would be to just select a whole folder to play, but I haven't explored around enough yet, maybe I missed how to do that.
Is it worth $6.99? You bet your **** it does!! :cool:

Felipe
07/22/2011, 12:17 AM
so another bug?

stop the video and restart, it doesnt remember where it left off.

damienh
07/22/2011, 07:13 AM
I've now had some time to test a bit further the app.

+works with all the .avi files I've tried so far
+media streaming: works like a charm, the app not only lets you stream files stored on a local PC but also to server directories attached to it - I've linked the streamer to my HP Home Media Server and can now stream my whole library from the server to the TP ;-)

There are however a couple of improvements I'd like to see in the next update:
+aspect ratio: currently inly two options toggle: 4:3 overly cropped/zoomed and 16:9 which is most of the time slightly distorted/off - need to handle 16:9 files better and add more options (full screen stretched, 16:9 stretched, keep original aspect ratio, etc...)
+file handling: an automatic indexing of supported content with thumbnail preview would be great (but at least the app can navigate in the folder structure and display file names which is not the case in the native photos/videos app)

I hope that KalemSoft will keep up the good work and release updates soon.

bigbradbad
07/22/2011, 10:52 AM
I love this app, I use it on my Pre all the time. With the Touchpad though, it seems to be having issues streaming live TV. The stream will buffer to 100% but will still be choppy and pause, then drop down to 0%, it won't run smooth at all. On my Pre over my Sprint 3G connection it will be stuttery at first, but eventually runs as smooth as watching it on my TV at home, but my home wifi network which is a lot faster is having these issues. Anyone else have these issues, or what is your experience with streaming live TV?

Sanjay
07/22/2011, 01:36 PM
It would be nice if they had a trial version to try out before buying the app.

miles4000
07/22/2011, 02:21 PM
I agree they should have a trail version.

bigbradbad - what type of tuner card are you using?

kayphoonstar
07/22/2011, 04:25 PM
so another bug?

stop the video and restart, it doesnt remember where it left off.

I think if you do a long tap (is that what you call it?) on the file you want to restart, you should get a dialog that includes "resume".

steffej3
07/22/2011, 04:40 PM
It would be nice if they had a trial version to try out before buying the app.

I know it seems like quite a bit of loot, but if you have a solid video library, it's by far the best option on the TouchPad. IMO, well worth the price, especially if you are usually around a reliable wifi signal. I hear you though, when it first launched on the Pre, I think there was a trial. You could use it for a week or so before it required a login. Perhaps that's a possibility with this one?

If the reported tethering lags can be worked out (I haven't tested it on a trip yet), it would be near perfect for me. Works on planes, works in airports, etc. Wifi & a properly set up account = works. :)

You could go the route of creating your own web server, etc., but that's not only a lot of work/maintenance, but also not always reliable on the video front (at least for me). It's nice to have a dev like this that has put the work into it & made it relatively easy.

I will also note that the dev is very responsive. I've had a few support questions in the past with my Pre & I used the support site...rec'd a response very quickly. Solved my issue too. I say, buy it. But don't flame me if you don't like it. Just giving my anecdotal view.

miles4000
07/22/2011, 05:32 PM
"I will also note that the dev is very responsive. I've had a few support questions in the past with my Pre & I used the support site...rec'd a response very quickly"

Hope so cause I posted a question yesterday and still waiting for a response.

Felipe
07/22/2011, 09:03 PM
I think if you do a long tap (is that what you call it?) on the file you want to restart, you should get a dialog that includes "resume".

yes, that works.

thank you.

k4ever
07/22/2011, 09:45 PM
I really wish this was DLNA compliant, I don't really want to install more software to stream stuff when the built in ability already exists.

I do also. The desktop server only works on Windows, which is a definite minus for me. I would like to see server software for Linux (which I use primarily) and for MacOS-X. I would also like the server to work with other devices like my Playstation 3. It would eliminate the need to run multiple servers.

That being said, I bought the player for the Touchpad and it is pretty good! It has played every file that I threw at it: .avi, .mpg, .mkv, .m4v, and .mp4. That's awesome. The quality on native videos is good but the quality on streaming videos is a little low. I would like to see the quality on streams improve in future versions of the server/app as well as the stuff I mentioned in the first paragraph.

Malkozaine
07/23/2011, 12:55 AM
can it play MKV's? And if it can how well?

irifan
07/23/2011, 05:41 AM
There are however a couple of improvements I'd like to see in the next update:
+aspect ratio: currently inly two options toggle: 4:3 overly cropped/zoomed and 16:9 which is most of the time slightly distorted/off - need to handle 16:9 files better and add more options (full screen stretched, 16:9 stretched, keep original aspect ratio, etc...)

I have already filed a ticket for stretched 16:9 files. I got a response within one hour and sent them three screenshots. Looking forward to see this fixed. Still a great app to have...

Weaser999
07/23/2011, 12:33 PM
What a great app. I just tried remote streaming from my computer at home to work. Works flawless. No conversion or anything.. just starts right up. I like this better than airplay. Now if only we could get native aspect ratio then we're set!

kayphoonstar
07/23/2011, 03:22 PM

It only works on analog tuner cards - so I think the old ATI might work. I've got it working with a Hauppauge USB2PVR and a Kworld PCIe dual tuner - although there's an issue with the Kworld on the TP - works great on the Pre but stutters alot on the TP. I know Kalemsoft is trying to run down the Kworld - TP issue, though.

OldSkoolVWLover
07/23/2011, 04:32 PM
I will have to try this on a pre we run a hauppauge card

richip
07/24/2011, 12:54 AM
I'm still waiting on server software for Linux. All my media are on my desktop which run on Fedora Linux.

JeffGr
07/24/2011, 01:38 AM
I have a home server that is running Microsoft's Windows Home Server operating system (essentially a home-centered version of Windows 2003) and was able to successfully install Kalemsoft server on it. I was also able to set it up to run as a Windows service, which keeps it running even when no user is logged in to the server. I realize this may not be a common need, but I figured I'd post the steps here in case anyone else can get use out of it. Note that these instructions could probably be easily adapted to running it as a service on a Windows 7 or XP box as well.

1. Log in to the server as an administrator and download and install the Kalemsoft media streamer.

2. Run the media streamer and do any configuration (add channels and local folders, set up ports, etc.) Make sure that the check box to "auto run on boot" is unchecked.

3. Verify that you can connect with the TouchPad and successfully stream a video.

4. Exit the media streamer using the "Exit" commend from the menu (don't just close the window as that keeps the streamer running in the background).

5. Download and install Microsoft's Windows 2003 Resource Kit Tools from Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools (http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=17657). Note that you could probably find the XP or Win7 version with a quick Google search.

6. Open a command prompt and switch to the directory where the tools are installed (default is C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools).

7. Type the following: instsrv "Kalemsoft Media Streamer" "c:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\srvany.exe"
(Adjust the directory if you installed the resource kit somewhere else).

8. Run regedit (use the "run" command from the start menu) and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Kalemsoft Media Streamer.

9. Add a new subkey called "Parameters" and switch to that subkey.

10. Add a new string value named "Application" and set its value to the location of the Kalemsoft executable. The default is "C:\Program Files\KalemSoft\KalemSoft Media Streamer\KSMediaStreamer.exe"

11. Add a new string value named "AppDirectory" and set it to the application directory. Default is "C:\Program Files\KalemSoft\KalemSoft Media Streamer".

12. Go into the "Services" screen either by navigating through Control Panel/Administrative Tools or by using the Start menu Run command and typing "Services.msc".

13. Find "Kalemsoft Media Streamer" in the services list, right click it, and select "Properties".

14. Confirm that the Startup type is set to "Automatic". It should be set to that by default.

15. Select the log-in tab and set it to run under an administrator account (click the "This Account" radio button and enter the appropriate username and password).

16. Start the service by clicking the "Start" button on the "General" tab (or cancel out and right-click and select "Start").

17. Log off from the server and confirm that your TouchPad can access the server.

Assuming all these steps were completed correctly, the streamer will remain up and running regardless of whether you are logged in to the server and it will also auto-start on reboot. If you ever need to change any settings (such as adding new folders or channels), just log in as an administrator, stop the service, run the streamer UI and make the necessary adjustments, exit, and then start the service again.

Hopefully some of you might find this helpful!

-Jeff

bigbradbad
07/24/2011, 11:43 AM
I agree they should have a trail version.

bigbradbad - what type of tuner card are you using?
I have the ATI TV Wonder HD USB card

Tiddlekins
07/24/2011, 04:52 PM
It is worth noting that playing XviD videos using this software will require far more battery life than videos that are in H264 format and therefore able to be decoded natively by the H264 chip in the TouchPad.

niegowsj
07/25/2011, 12:37 AM
Does anyone have a list of supported files? Most of mine are an iso but I do have some mp4s.

kulf
07/25/2011, 05:08 AM
Would love to be able to stream videos (AVI / MPEG) from my Synology DLNA. Any chance this will be possible in the near future?

miles4000
07/25/2011, 10:40 AM
JeffGR - nice info for how to on running it as a service. Only issue I have was that it didnt work for my tv tuner card. I was able to get to media folders but couldnt stream tv. So I ended up disabling service and removing regedits.

steffej3
07/25/2011, 10:51 AM
Just an update. I used freetether over the weekend, to enable TouchPad use, with zero issues (no lag, no stoppages, etc.). I only had 3 bar Sprint EV coverage on my Pre. My kids watched about 4 to 5 hours of movies, approximately 20 miles from our home.

My only issues, and one is definitely not within dev control:

1. That 5 hours pushed me from 300mb of data usage to 1.3gb of data usage. Unlimited, but it's definitely my highest usage in a long time. 5 hours of streaming will do that though, and it's rare for me to not have a local wireless connection.

2. Volume. I had two Bose travel speakers with me. I had the TouchPad & speakers turned up to maximum. You could still only barely hear the movies. The files are plenty loud on all other media we stream them on (Pre, iPad, HTPC, etc.). I know this is a fairly common issue so far with TouchPad apps, but it's also inconsistent. Some apps provide much louder volume. I'm not sure why the inconsistency, but if this app could bypass the stock volume & allow for a rather significant increase, it would do wonders.

As awesome as it was, and the kids didn't care much, the volume issue will make it unusable for me when travelling. No way it would work on a plane, or anywhere with even moderate noise levels. At least not for me. Anyone know if this can be fixed on the dev side, or if it's strictly HP?

Thanks,

steffej3

FesterTreo
07/25/2011, 12:21 PM
Steffej3,

There is another thread on this site about Beats Audio volume, a patch has been developed that modifies the sound levels and resolves all the 'too soft' discussions. Patch should be out on Preware soon or just load the IPK the the dev posted.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad/286890-beats-volume-anyone-5.html

steffej3
07/25/2011, 12:39 PM
Steffej3,

There is another thread on this site about Beats Audio volume, a patch has been developed that modifies the sound levels and resolves all the 'too soft' discussions. Patch should be out on Preware soon or just load the IPK the the dev posted.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad/286890-beats-volume-anyone-5.html

Will do. Thanks. Going to wait until the OTA first...and I hope it's not too much longer. I patched the be*esus out of my TouchPad a couple of weeks ago. Started getting reboots like crazy. Wasn't stable at all (at least for me). Doctored & have only had one reboot since. First time in my webOS (launch Pre user) life I've been reluctant to patch. :(

OldSkoolVWLover
07/25/2011, 01:02 PM
Will do. Thanks. Going to wait until the OTA first...and I hope it's not too much longer. I patched the be*esus out of my TouchPad a couple of weeks ago. Started getting reboots like crazy. Wasn't stable at all (at least for me). Doctored & have only had one reboot since. First time in my webOS (launch Pre user) life I've been reluctant to patch. :(

Any chance you want to start another thread about what patches you were using and maybe what you were doing that resulted in reboots? I haven't had any issues with patching thus far.

FesterTreo
07/25/2011, 01:25 PM
steffej3

The patch only just sets a variable at boot time for the volume. Its not the kind of thing that would cause reboots as its not keeping anything running in memory etc.

miles4000
07/25/2011, 01:26 PM
"No way it would work on a plane, or anywhere with even moderate noise levels. "

What about with headphones on? On planes I use noise isolating headphones in general and would think this would help.

LA6507a
07/25/2011, 03:33 PM
Kalemsoft worked for the first three movies I played over my network, but since then, I get error message "Could not connect to the streaming server. Please make sure KSMS is running on your PC and is in Ready state." which it is. I've used the static IP of my WHS Server and even made sure that the ports 7000 & 7001 were open and assigned on both my router and my WHS firewall. It is awesome when it works!

EDIT: I originally downloaded and set up the sstreaming software on my laptop, tested it (it worked fine), then closed the software and installed it on my Windows Home Server and after some tweaking to the ports in the firewall, it worked for the 3 movies that I mentioned before not working anymore. In both installs I used the same account information - could that be the problem?

sledge007
07/25/2011, 05:15 PM
Has anyone been able to play an entire folder(or make a playlist of multiple folders) of music or are you just limited to play one .mp3 at a time? I haven't been able to figure out if it's possible yet.

sledge007
07/26/2011, 03:45 PM
I just got an email back from KalemSoft and thought I'd share some info with you:

You will need to enable the shuffle option for that. There is a shuffle button just above the slider in player controls. Once you enable that, the songs will be streamed one after the other from the current folder you are in. If the current folder is a remote folder on the server, the songs in that folder will be streamed back to back.

You can also create a dynamic playlist. To do that, tap and hold an item in the list. This will bring up the context menu. From the context menu, select Add To Favorites. The item will be added to the favorites list. Then, go to favorites list and play a song while shuffle is turned on. The songs in the favorites list will be played one after the other.

Future versions will let you setup multiple playlists on the fly.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Regards,

KalemSoft

steffej3
07/26/2011, 04:07 PM
Any chance you want to start another thread about what patches you were using and maybe what you were doing that resulted in reboots? I haven't had any issues with patching thus far.

I can start a thread on it, if it's needed. I installed all of the 'turbo' patches, had glass effect theme, and I think that's pretty much it. I was in forced reboots several times a day. I've seen the widely reported issues similar to mine, so I assumed that something was a bad install or it was simply the current version of webOS that was the issue. Didn't think it needed to be made redundant. The only reason I thought it may be from patching is that I haven't had any forced reboots since doctoring the device (maybe 1 ;)). Heck, it could have been from bad app installs or deletions. I have no idea.

I'm OCD with un-patching & doctoring for an OTA anyway, so I figured I'd be patient until things stabilize on all fronts. Then I'll gladly spend time reporting issues that may result from patching or not. ;)

steffej3
07/26/2011, 04:19 PM
"No way it would work on a plane, or anywhere with even moderate noise levels. "

What about with headphones on? On planes I use noise isolating headphones in general and would think this would help.

I have two pair that accomplish what you're stating, and it just isn't quite enough volume with tons of noise. One pair are Klipsch, the other are Shure. I am an audio geek, so I'm overly critical on that front for sure. Everything works great in my office (for music..haven't tested video here), I generally can't hear people with the headphones in...but it's not a loud office either.

There's a thread for it, I know. I was just questioning if there was anything in the dev's control that could help. My chief interest is being able to produce enough volume to the speakers so that my kids can enjoy the movies. It was pretty much just visuals for them last weekend (I should have thought to video that, but it's really hard to video an audio issue). Seriously, not unhappy with the app. I love it. Hope I didn't give the wrong impression. Just looking for some feedback. :)

d503
07/26/2011, 07:01 PM
I played some MKVs and XviD encoded AVIs on it. I noticed two things:
- MKV file had jittery framerate for video and was out of sync (audio was ahead)
- The XviD file was sync'd audio wise, but the audio frequency seemed slow (voices were deeper than they should've been)

I haven't tried any other files, but will report back when I see some of my other AVIs and how they stack up.

So the XviD file I apparently had was actually an mp4 that I converted with handbrake. The audio plays fine using the built-in video app, but in Kalemsoft, the voices/audio are lower (frequency-wise, not volume-wise).

EDIT: The original XviD file audio sounds fine. only issue I have now is the aspect ratio thing...no matter how many different aspect ratio options I choose, I can't get the native AR.

OldSkoolVWLover
07/26/2011, 07:27 PM
I can start a thread on it, if it's needed. I installed all of the 'turbo' patches, had glass effect theme, and I think that's pretty much it. I was in forced reboots several times a day. I've seen the widely reported issues similar to mine, so I assumed that something was a bad install or it was simply the current version of webOS that was the issue. Didn't think it needed to be made redundant. The only reason I thought it may be from patching is that I haven't had any forced reboots since doctoring the device (maybe 1 ;)). Heck, it could have been from bad app installs or deletions. I have no idea.

I'm OCD with un-patching & doctoring for an OTA anyway, so I figured I'd be patient until things stabilize on all fronts. Then I'll gladly spend time reporting issues that may result from patching or not. ;)

cool just curious cuz I havent had the same problems, but I havent patched with all the speed up patches some have

shrxwin
07/26/2011, 10:21 PM
I have a home server that is running Microsoft's Windows Home Server ...

Hopefully some of you might find this helpful!

-Jeff

VERY helpful, great instructions, worked out perfectly with no effort (I'm an IT person so I am hopefully a little more savvy than most) thank you so much for taking the time to put this together!

I bought KalemSoft hoping to find a way to stream my IP Camera feeds, not sure if that will ever work, but at least now I can access all my ripped DVD and CD files.

Thanks so much! Clarice

jcbone
07/27/2011, 04:43 AM
I just purchased this app upon most of the good feedback this media player is getting. I was able to play my avi movies fine but I tried 3 different videos that are mkv files and none of those worked or even showed up on the media player that it was found. I checked internals file manager just to make sure it transferred over correctly to my touchpad and yes the files were there.

I read that this media player played mkv file formats but i'm confused as mine won't even show that my mkv movies aren't even there. Help!

Sukram71
07/27/2011, 05:11 AM
KalemSoft plays all my local Videos on the Thouchpad.
Even .avi, .mpg, .divx, .flv (but not real-media). Great app!

But streaming runs out of buffer verry fast and is stuttering.
I think, because I run it with wine unter Ubuntu 11.04 Linux. Im not shure.

Has anyone a solution for streaming with KSserver under Linux?

(bHome ist another UPnP-App for the Touchpad, this works with Linux-UPnP-Server,
but bHome plays only the TP-Codecs.)

sledge007
07/27/2011, 05:50 AM
Just a quick reminder, and I'm not implying that posting these questions here is wrong or anything, but KalemSoft does have a direct support channel in the HP App Catalogue where you bought the app.

I posted a question here that was left unanswered, before I actually thought of contacting them. When I did contact them yesterday, I had answers/solutions in a matter of hours. I thought I would have had to wait at least a day. Pleasantly mistaken & kudos to KS for speedy support.

Don't forget to share your info :)

kayphoonstar
07/27/2011, 12:01 PM
KalemSoft plays all my local Videos on the Thouchpad.
Even .avi, .mpg, .divx, .flv (but not real-media). Great app!

But streaming runs out of buffer verry fast and is stuttering.
I think, because I run it with wine unter Ubuntu 11.04 Linux. Im not shure.

Has anyone a solution for streaming with KSserver under Linux?

(bHome ist another UPnP-App for the Touchpad, this works with Linux-UPnP-Server,
but bHome plays only the TP-Codecs.)

Have you checked the player option on the TP Player 'Enable Progressive Downloads'? If you use that, and then give it a bit of time to get ahead, your stuttering issues should ease up. That's great that you have it running with wine! I'm curious how CPU usage is when the streamer is working. (?)

miles4000
07/27/2011, 12:59 PM
Another tip is to make sure you disable screensaver on media server pc. I was streaming TV to Touchpad and it would stop after 10 minutes. I checked my pc and the screensaver was set for 10 minutes, so I disabled it and it was good to go.

k4ever
07/27/2011, 08:51 PM
I would like to use this app in conjunction with BHome. Is that possible? My vision is for BHome to find content on my UPnP server and then use KalemSoft Media Player to play it. I asked a similar question in this thread (post #15):

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad-apps/288951-dlna-upnp-streaming-bhome-upnp-client.html#post3038455

neville1355
07/27/2011, 10:02 PM
So the XviD file I apparently had was actually an mp4 that I converted with handbrake. The audio plays fine using the built-in video app, but in Kalemsoft, the voices/audio are lower (frequency-wise, not volume-wise).

EDIT: The original XviD file audio sounds fine. only issue I have now is the aspect ratio thing...no matter how many different aspect ratio options I choose, I can't get the native AR.

My MP4 videos encoded with handbrake also had a lower frequency for sound... very odd!

My native xvid videos play perfectly (aside from aspect ratio issues), which, IMO, is way better than encoding everything to MP4.

bigbradbad
07/28/2011, 02:08 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm still having the same problem streaming live TV, it's unwatchable. My remote video files work fine, but live tv will have a bit of audio and the frame will pause and change every 20 seconds sometimes, then it will just say "No Link" and won't show anything. I love this app on my Pre, no troubles at all, but the Touchpad version isn't working as well yet.

Also I've noticed that when touching the channel I want in the list, it chooses the channel below it, so to get channel 51 I have to hit channel 50, weird, but it's still usable.

kayphoonstar
07/28/2011, 04:36 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm still having the same problem streaming live TV, it's unwatchable. My remote video files work fine, but live tv will have a bit of audio and the frame will pause and change every 20 seconds sometimes, then it will just say "No Link" and won't show anything. I love this app on my Pre, no troubles at all, but the Touchpad version isn't working as well yet.

Also I've noticed that when touching the channel I want in the list, it chooses the channel below it, so to get channel 51 I have to hit channel 50, weird, but it's still usable.

I've reported similar issues to the devs, but another report with details of tuner card, etc., would probably be helpful.

miles4000
07/28/2011, 11:02 AM
I also notice the issue with selecting channels, its off by one.

d503
07/28/2011, 12:47 PM
My MP4 videos encoded with handbrake also had a lower frequency for sound... very odd!

My native xvid videos play perfectly (aside from aspect ratio issues), which, IMO, is way better than encoding everything to MP4.

The aspect ratios drive me batty...I can just *tell* when it's office, and as an American, I can't bear to cut off my screen and not get the full value of the videos I...backed up :)

laingman
07/28/2011, 12:59 PM
I have noticed three problems so far.

1. I repaet a short 1 1/2 minute video and the video and sound get out of sync
2. The problem with the stations being off by one
3. Try to stream tv and the sound works but not the picture. It freezes and say no link. I was trying to do it tethered to phone with free tether. Didn't try wifi yet

Scott L
07/28/2011, 02:56 PM
Am I correct that this won't stream FLAC files? I've noticed that my FLAC directories all show up empty on the Touchpad, but mp3s and almost all my video files play just fine.

kalemsoft
07/28/2011, 06:45 PM
Thanks a lot for the feedback so far. We wanted to give a quick status update. We have found the reason behind the aspect ratio problem and have a fix for it (currently being tested). There will be a bug fix submission to the catalog by the end of this week. If the app gets reviewed by HP quickly, it should be available early next week.

On the other hand, the TV streaming issues (one channel being off and video freeze) are being worked on currently. These are likely to be server side issues, so when the fix is found and verified, it will be available immediately.

Regards,

KalemSoft

damienh
07/29/2011, 02:35 AM
@KalemSoft: thanks for your prompt action and for fixing soon this aspect ratio issue!

KalemSoft Media Player is a fantastic (+essential) app for the TP: keep up the good work...

As mentioned in my review+posts, other "nice to have" enhancements in a future release include:
+Automatic indexing of supported media (and/or of certain folders) rather than having to always go through the folder structure
+Thumbnail icon preview of videos

Sukram71
07/29/2011, 04:49 AM
+ KS-Linux-Media-Server, please

miles4000
07/29/2011, 10:35 AM
"These are likely to be server side issues, so when the fix is found and verified, it will be available immediately."

How will this update be communicate? Does the server software check for new updates when it is started?

bigbradbad
07/29/2011, 10:52 AM
Thanks a lot for the feedback so far. We wanted to give a quick status update. We have found the reason behind the aspect ratio problem and have a fix for it (currently being tested). There will be a bug fix submission to the catalog by the end of this week. If the app gets reviewed by HP quickly, it should be available early next week.

On the other hand, the TV streaming issues (one channel being off and video freeze) are being worked on currently. These are likely to be server side issues, so when the fix is found and verified, it will be available immediately.

Regards,

KalemSoft

Awesome to hear, can't wait for the update!

boarder1999
07/29/2011, 02:04 PM
Does anyone know if there's a way to associate the KalemSoft player with video files in the web browser? I know it's trivial to click on a video link in the web browser to have it download, then open up the file with KS Mediaplayer; but I want the browser to automatically know to open KS MP for me. Right now it pops up a dialog box saying it doesn't know how to open a .mpg, when it would be awesome to tell the web browser that .mpg files are to be opened by KS MP (much like how every single desktop browser works).

kayphoonstar
07/29/2011, 02:42 PM
Does anyone know if there's a way to associate the KalemSoft player with video files in the web browser? I know it's trivial to click on a video link in the web browser to have it download, then open up the file with KS Mediaplayer; but I want the browser to automatically know to open KS MP for me. Right now it pops up a dialog box saying it doesn't know how to open a .mpg, when it would be awesome to tell the web browser that .mpg files are to be opened by KS MP (much like how every single desktop browser works).

Maybe there's a possibility (future possibility?) for this in the new Advanced Browser?

boarder1999
07/29/2011, 04:08 PM
Well, i found an app called RegisterApp (http://metaviewsoft.de/wordpress/?p=440) that will make default file handlers for whatever app you have. It allows me to create .mpg as a known file type and associate KalemSoft MediaPlayer as the app to launch.

It almost works. Clicking on a link in a browser to a .mpg now brings up KS MP, but it doesn't load up the .mpg movie or download the movie. I'm not sure if this is a limitation to the file handler scheme WebOS uses or a limitation in the loading screen of KS MP.

UPDATE:
KalemSoft said that they have tried to do exactly this, but since the app is a native PDK instead of an Enyo/Mojo app it isn't something they can easily do. They are still working on it, though.

noseph
07/29/2011, 05:49 PM
boarder1999 - Please stop double posting.

boarder1999
08/01/2011, 01:11 PM
boarder1999 - Please stop double posting.

I had a question about having links from a web browser open up mediaplayer... I guess I'm just an annoying jerk for asking that question in a thread about a web browser and also a thread about mediaplayer. And when different people in both threads expressed interest in the same thing as me, I thought it might be helpful of me to post the results of my research in both those threads so that those different people might find the answer. It seems you were browsing both threads, so I apologize with great humility for slightly annoying one person while possibly helping many.

BTW, if I were you I'd avoid any thread that pertains to Preware or WebOSInternals lest your head explode from all the double posts by Rod Whitby answering the same questions over and over.

noseph
08/01/2011, 01:30 PM
It is just that you asked the same question in two threads minutes apart, instead of waiting for any response from your first post. Please do not confuse yourself with Rod Whitby who is answering question and not posing them.

jhoff80
08/02/2011, 10:30 PM
I just used the version off the Kalemsoft website to see if I wanted to buy it in the catalog, and I'm finding that 720p video doesn't play at anywhere near full speed.

This is with a 720p .MKV as well as a 720p .MP4 file, and in fact the MP4 plays perfectly without any slowdown in the Photos & Videos app.

Maybe is this purely decoding in the CPU where maybe the Photos & Video app has hardware decoding or something?

Schanske
08/09/2011, 03:40 PM
I've downloaded the demo from their site.

Sometimes there are cracks in the sound.
The app quit regulary. Sometimes after a minute.

Not worked well for me.

Regards,
Schanske

Weaser999
08/09/2011, 04:31 PM

Not worked well for me.

Regards,
Schanske

Thats odd. I don't experience anything like that at all on my touchpad. The only time the player won't work is when trying to watch mv4 files. Cracking sound? Odd.

kalemsoft
08/09/2011, 07:14 PM

Not worked well for me.

Regards,
Schanske

Try turning down the volume from player volume control (not the touchpad). See if that helps.

The only known issue is with files that have DRM copy protection like ones you get from iTunes. Non-copy protected files should play fine. If you are having issues with regular files, please contact us and we can setup a server for you to upload some samples.

Regards,

KalemSoft

niegowsj
08/09/2011, 09:58 PM
I downloaded the demo version and wanted to try it out so I tried to download some movies onto it. The touchpad wouldn't let me saying they are too large. Does anyone know of a workaround?

mrmark27
08/09/2011, 11:17 PM
Does anyone else experience grainy video when streaming? Its weird, some files are crystal clear and others are really grainy, even smaller ones. I have a 537mb video that, if I put the source file on the TP and play through KalemSoft app it plays crystal clear but the streaming of that same file is super grainy. But then ill have other files that are 2+ gigs and the picture is crystal clear. Im confused :(

Bacstar
08/09/2011, 11:46 PM
Does anyone else experience grainy video when streaming? Its weird, some files are crystal clear and others are really grainy, even smaller ones. I have a 537mb video that, if I put the source file on the TP and play through KalemSoft app it plays crystal clear but the streaming of that same file is super grainy. But then ill have other files that are 2+ gigs and the picture is crystal clear. Im confused :(

Just purchased the app and had the same problem. You can set the quality under Settings/Player Options/Stream Quality. I set it to High.

mrmark27
08/10/2011, 12:18 PM
Just purchased the app and had the same problem. You can set the quality under Settings/Player Options/Stream Quality. I set it to High.

Thanks I just noticed that and was coming on to correct myself so it didn't scare anyone away. I clicked the high quality and progressive download and it looks great.

Messerschmitts
08/10/2011, 11:08 PM
I just shelled out $7 for this app. It is not working for me. I open the app and load a video, and the video will play for a few seconds and the app will immediately shut down. This occurs with both mpeg4 files and .avi files (likely xvid). It does not go into card mode, the app just plain shuts down and has to be re-opened. It makes the app absolutely broken and useless. Does anyone else have this issue?

Messerschmitts
08/10/2011, 11:22 PM
I just shelled out $7 for this app. It is not working for me. I open the app and load a video, and the video will play for a few seconds and the app will immediately shut down. This occurs with both mpeg4 files and .avi files (likely xvid). It does not go into card mode, the app just plain shuts down and has to be re-opened. It makes the app absolutely broken and useless. Does anyone else have this issue?

Nevermind I reset the TP and now it works fine. If anyone has a similar problem, hold the power button till the TP shuts down completely and turn it back on again.

noseph
08/11/2011, 09:04 AM
Nevermind I reset the TP and now it works fine. If anyone has a similar problem, hold the power button till the TP shuts down completely and turn it back on again.

Two other ways to restart a TouchPad. Open Device Info, select Reset Options and then select Restart. Also from Preware install Advanced Reset Options patch.

spud101
08/11/2011, 08:07 PM
Too bad, it doesn't see any files on samba shares :(
Don't want to stream, just to open it from a NAS.

notme23
08/11/2011, 08:48 PM
I have the same problem where the program just shuts down. No card view or anything. also i dont get any video to start playing, it says loading but when loaded it just closes. I have rebooted but no change.

bb147
08/12/2011, 12:34 PM
any news on when the update that will fix the aspect ratio issue will come? I love this app but watching all my movies make with this app makes them all look really funny.

thanks!

Weaser999
08/12/2011, 07:31 PM
I think it just came out. Awesome!

Much nicer now that the movies take up more of the screen with the proper aspect ratio. Glad I bought this app. I like it better than air video server on the ipad.

Judman13
08/13/2011, 12:18 AM
Does not play .mkv well at all.

Trying to watch a 900mb Tv show and the audio was out of sync within the first 20 seconds. Very disappointing. Especially for a $7 app.

And .mkv support was the only reason I got it. Guess I will convert and play, which is exactly what I didn't want to do.

Fyi im running 3.0.2 and overclocked to 1.5Ghz.

Andrmgic
08/13/2011, 02:34 AM
Disappointed in this app.. any chance of a fix for .mp4 files with AAC audio having slower than expected playback? The built-in player handles it fine.. but the audio is slow in this one.

Schanske
08/14/2011, 11:16 AM

That did the job! Thanks. After resetting, the program did'nt crash anymore!

Malkozaine
08/14/2011, 12:09 PM
MKVs work more or less fine with me but can have some issues. Would like to see that cleaned up/fixed. Also I watch animes so would like to see subtitle support. If it can do subs the can someone tell me how to turn them on?

FesterTreo
08/14/2011, 08:12 PM
New ratios work but I wish they would display the aspect ratio somewhere on the screen when you toggle through all 3.

bigbradbad
08/14/2011, 11:31 PM
I'm still having an issue with the live TV not working, still stutters like before.

TopTongueBarry
08/15/2011, 03:36 AM
How about letting us tailor the specific bandwidth setting we want to use for streaming on the client side ourselves, like Orb does? I set my Orb mobile clients at 200k for bandwidth on the client side so I can use the tv tuner without hiccups. Yes its a little grainy, but it does work properly on a consistent basis without stalling based on the quality of my carriers network in the area I strream TV and video most. Until LTE is rolled out on a grand scale, we all have to put up with latency issues no matter which carrier we are using.

When I stream live TV using Orb set at 200k on the client side, no problemo. When I stream live TV using kalemsoft, even set to low quality bandwidth on my clients, it eventually huccups and or stalls forcing me to close Kalemsoft then reopen it and try to reconnect at which time most of the time I find my desktop streamer to be unavailable. Usually a restart of Kalemsoft desktop streamer resolves this, but how, I'm not at home at the those times, I'm remotely streaming through a client.

Ability to specifically set the client side bandwidth use for streaming would allow the user to adjust it based on his or her individual carrier's good or crappy data network.

stiekes
08/15/2011, 11:08 AM
The widescreen ratio is better, but still off.

I understand you were going for ability to stream over remote connections (your tethering example) but the picture quality, even on 'high' is quite poor compared to DLNA based solutions, and the sound quality still leaves a lot to be desired.

Xadion
08/15/2011, 03:03 PM
Just bought it- plays my game of thrones encoded .m4v perfectly, toggels aspect from useing entire screen, or "aspect on" for the "widescreen" mode

smooth and synched here

now did I hear that it could stream from our box.net accounts? if so- awesome!

kalemsoft
08/15/2011, 07:43 PM
How about letting us tailor the specific bandwidth setting we want to use for streaming on the client side ourselves, like Orb does?

This is indeed being planned for the next release.

Regards,

KalemSoft

kalemsoft
08/15/2011, 07:43 PM
We have a new beta release of the media streamer that increases audio and video streaming quality at "high" setting for the TouchPad. It is available here:

http://www.kalemsoft.com/site/demos/KSMediaStreamer_v1.0.5b.msi

Could you please give a try to this and let us know how it works?

Note that since this is only a release candidate, it will display a notification that a newer version is available when you launch it. Please ignore that.

Regards,

KalemSoft

mikeyvt1
08/15/2011, 08:03 PM
Will you add any more support to .mkv files? Such as if the file has dual audio and subtitles you can change it.

craftsman
08/15/2011, 08:55 PM
We have a new beta release of the media streamer that increases audio and video streaming quality at "high" setting for the TouchPad. It is available here:

Note that since this is only a release candidate, it will display a notification that a newer version is available when you launch it. Please ignore that.

Regards,

KalemSoft

For me 1.0.5 is working great the sound slowdown is gone.

bb147
08/16/2011, 02:38 AM
KalemSoft:

Any chance you can make this play .RMVB?

Since this device just got released in Asia Pacific Region, if it can play .RMVB you'll have everyone buying a Touchpad there buying this app!

Edit: And also if the remote media can support unicode it would be awesome, right now it just shows up as ?????? and you can't access those folders.

Sanjay
08/16/2011, 03:16 AM
Will this stream media from my PC on my wifi network at home. In other words is this DLNA compliant. Also, does this support WMA?

PS: It would be a good idea to have a trial version. I am sure a lot more people would buy this, considering the higher than average price, if they could be sure that it would serve their purpose.

Achill3s
08/16/2011, 02:09 PM
Will this stream media from my PC on my wifi network at home. In other words is this DLNA compliant. Also, does this support WMA?

PS: It would be a good idea to have a trial version. I am sure a lot more people would buy this, considering the higher than average price, if they could be sure that it would serve their purpose.

There is a trial version on at their website. That's the one I'm using to see how I like it before I choose to buy it.

KalemSoft - Products (http://www.kalemsoft.com/site/downloads2.html)

kalemsoft
08/16/2011, 03:42 PM

There is no DLNA support yet. You can stream over wifi network if you install our free media server to your PC though.

WMA is supported.

Regards,

KalemSoft

TopTongueBarry
08/16/2011, 07:27 PM

Regards,

KalemSoft

I run my streamer as a background service in Windows 7, its much more reliable and remains running in the background no matter who is logged in. Do you know if I can set this beta version up the same way?

Highcroft
08/16/2011, 10:40 PM
I was wondering if there is way to have the video continue when it's in card mode, or at least just the audio since I like listening to a podcast or tv show in the background while I browse the internet.

kalemsoft
08/17/2011, 10:42 PM
I was wondering if there is way to have the video continue when it's in card mode, or at least just the audio since I like listening to a podcast or tv show in the background while I browse the internet.

The current TouchPad version in the app catalog lets you play audio in card view. We will soon update the non-catalog version as well.

Regards,

KalemSoft

Theonlyix
08/18/2011, 07:09 AM
Just a sidenote - for anyone who hasnt tried kalemsoft on their TPAD, get it. Its the best app there is!

spud101
08/18/2011, 08:19 AM
There is no DLNA support yet. You can stream over wifi network if you install our free media server to your PC though.

I would like not to stream but simply open files on network shares. I can access samba shares from my TP (with uberkernel) just fine, but the Kalemsoft Media Player doesn't see the contents of these mounted drives, while e.g. internalz does without a problem.

Sanjay
08/18/2011, 10:15 AM
There is a trial version on at their website. That's the one I'm using to see how I like it before I choose to buy it.

Thanks. Since they don't have a demo version in the app catalog, one would have never known.

kalemsoft
08/18/2011, 12:28 PM
I would like not to stream but simply open files on network shares. I can access samba shares from my TP (with uberkernel) just fine, but the Kalemsoft Media Player doesn't see the contents of these mounted drives, while e.g. internalz does without a problem.

Not sure what you mean by opening files, but trying to play them from a samba share would certainly involve streaming from the host where they reside to your TouchPad. We gave this a quick try and it works fine.

Have you added the mapped samba drive to shared folders in KalemSoft Media Streamer? To do that, you need to choose "Selete Media Folders..." option from Settings menu and add your samba drive there. Then, the player application should see the folder.

Regards,

KalemSoft

firehawk12
08/20/2011, 11:21 AM
Hi, is there a way to turn on subtitles when playing mkv files?

kalemsoft
08/20/2011, 11:48 PM
Hi, is there a way to turn on subtitles when playing mkv files?

Not yet, this is a planned feature.

Regards,

KalemSoft

kalemsoft
08/20/2011, 11:51 PM
Hi all,

We have a few reports of video files crashing the player. A few users indicated that restarting the device fixes the problem, but we would like to understand the reason behind it. If you experience this, could you please contact us via KalemSoft - Live Support Solution (Powered By Help Center Live) (http://www.kalemsoft.com/support) or just leave us a private message.

Thanks,

KalemSoft

BShack
08/21/2011, 12:56 AM
Would someone kindly direct me to a tutorial on how to install the demo version of this app?

syxbit
08/21/2011, 09:08 PM
Is this the same app for Pre2 and TP?
I have a Pre2, and a Touchpad. Can I buy the app once and use on both devices?

kayphoonstar
08/21/2011, 09:35 PM
Is this the same app for Pre2 and TP?
I have a Pre2, and a Touchpad. Can I buy the app once and use on both devices?

No, I don't believe so.

fventura03
08/21/2011, 11:52 PM
omg this is so amazing, I wanted an airvideo alternative but for my touchpad (which I got for $99), and this does just that, I am using the trial right now, taking it through its paces but I will be buying this very soon.

100% satisfied, my server isn't bogged down or anything either, it's running at less than 50% cpu usage when streaming

BShack
08/22/2011, 12:38 AM
When I download the demo I get a message that says "Cannot open MIME type"

Could someone please help me out here?

xaev01
08/22/2011, 02:24 AM
Not yet, this is a planned feature.

Regards,

KalemSoft

Any possibility of an ETA on this? Because 5 months ago, this was posted:

We are looking at subtitling support.

As soon as subtitle support is implemented, I, as well as many others who purchased a Touchpad during this fire sale, would buy this in a heartbeat. But without it, I'd rather look into another solution.

sahil0984
08/22/2011, 04:50 AM

I hope you are using Preware to install this. If not, you need to install preware on your device and then click on the demo app link.

Sahil

blkonblk17
08/22/2011, 09:45 AM
Hi guys, I recently purchased my Touchpad. I downloaded this file from the Kalemsoft website in the downloads section named: New: KalemSoft Media Player v0.3.3 for TouchPad. and installed this application using the WebOS quick install application on my mac like I have done for several other applications which work fine. For some reason when I open a .avi file the video plays fine however, the audio sounds distorted and lagging. Any advice?

blkonblk17
08/22/2011, 09:59 AM
Hi guys, I recently purchased my Touchpad. I downloaded this file from the Kalemsoft website in the downloads section named: New: KalemSoft Media Player v0.3.3 for TouchPad. and installed this application using the WebOS quick install application on my mac like I have done for several other applications which work fine. For some reason when I open a .avi file the video plays fine however, the audio sounds distorted and lagging. Any advice?

Ok for some reason I think it was the actual movie. I added 2 other movies and they played fine. For some reason the movie I was trying (Toy Story 3) on the left status bar where your search for files it appeared as two files. 1 which was like 400kb that you would open but obviously wouldn't play and the other was the actual movie file at 1.8gb. Odd, don't know why it showed up as two files. Either way, seems to be working with other files which is good.

kalemsoft
08/22/2011, 11:00 AM
Hi all,

We have a new (beta) version of the media player with some improvements. Could you please give a try to this and let us know your experience with it:

www.kalemsoft.com/betas/com.kalemsoft.ksmplayera_0.3.5_all.ipk

The main improvements are:

Faster mkv, mp4, etc. decoding support for HD content (should fix lipsync issues as well).
Support for rm and rmvb file formats
Support for back to back playback from a list in order (press the shuffle button twice)
Fix for occasional audio pitch shift/distortion

Regards,

KalemSoft

kalemsoft
08/22/2011, 11:04 AM
Any possibility of an ETA on this? Because 5 months ago, this was posted:

As soon as subtitle support is implemented, I, as well as many others who purchased a Touchpad during this fire sale, would buy this in a heartbeat. But without it, I'd rather look into another solution.

We are still working on this. It was moved up in the priority list though. It will be the next feature update after the bug fixes.

Regards,

KalemSoft

BShack
08/22/2011, 11:18 AM
I hope you are using Preware to install this. If not, you need to install preware on your device and then click on the demo app link.

Sahil

This, my good sir, is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks a ton!

blkonblk17
08/22/2011, 11:21 AM
Hi all,

We have a new (beta) version of the media player with some improvements. Could you please give a try to this and let us know your experience with it:

Faster mkv, mp4, etc. decoding support for HD content (should fix lipsync issues as well).
Support for back to back playback from a list in order (press the shuffle button twice)

Regards,

KalemSoft

Thanks for the new update. I've installed it but still seem to be have problems with mp4 files. The audio continues to be distorted and laggy. On the other hand .avi play fine.

jonavalon
08/22/2011, 11:24 AM
Hi all,

Regards,

KalemSoft

Sweet! Thanks mate!

Installed and trying it now, working good so far.

kalemsoft
08/22/2011, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the new update. I've installed it but still seem to be have problems with mp4 files. The audio continues to be distorted and laggy. On the other hand .avi play fine.

Do you know the codec types for video and audio on those files? If you have VLC on your PC, play the file via VLC, then select Codec Information from the Tools menu. If you could send us the codec information, that would be great.

Regards,

KalemSoft

blkonblk17
08/22/2011, 11:45 AM
Do you know the codec types for video and audio on those files? If you have VLC on your PC, play the file via VLC, then select Codec Information from the Tools menu. If you could send us the codec information, that would be great.

Regards,

KalemSoft

I'm on a mac and couldn't find the tools menu in the VLC application. I played the movie and found this information by selecting the playlist tab in the application player box, right click the video file being played and selecting media information from the pop up box and then selecting the codec details tab.. This is what it revealed

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o189/rocejo/ScreenShot2011-08-22at114045AM.png

MentatYP
08/22/2011, 12:18 PM
We are still working on this. It was moved up in the priority list though. It will be the next feature update after the bug fixes.

Regards,

KalemSoft

Will subtitle support include separate .srt files? Once it does, this is an immediate buy for me. See KMplayer for example implementation. With KMplayer the movie and .srt subtitle files just have to be in the same folder and the player will show subtitles.

Thanks for considering it.

aeharding
08/22/2011, 12:25 PM
Just curious, MentatYP, why do you need subtitles so badly?

Alternatively, you can always hardcode videos with "any video converter". It's freeware, too.

MentatYP
08/22/2011, 01:12 PM
Just curious, MentatYP, why do you need subtitles so badly?

Alternatively, you can always hardcode videos with "any video converter". It's freeware, too.

Actually I don't, but my sister does :) She watches a lot of shows that aren't in English and are fan-subbed in a separate sub file.

Thanks for the tip on Any Video Converter. I've found a few tutorials on how to use other similar programs to burn the subtitles into the video file so that might be an option, but I would much prefer the media player be able to handle separate sub files without having to go through the re-econding hassle. My sister isn't the most tech-savvy, plus she has tons of these videos that she would have to re-encode, taking up precious hard drive space.

BShack
08/22/2011, 01:17 PM
I installed this beta specifically to fix lipsyc issues with .mkv files, and now the sound simply doesn't work. No sound, and no slider on the volume control.

Edit- I didn't specify. There is no sound in mkv files, avi still works fine.

Type: Video
Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)
Language: English
Resolution: 1280x720
Frame rate: 23.976215

Type: Audio
Codec: A52 Audio (aka AC3) (a52 )
Channels: 3F2R/LFE
Sample rate: 48000 Hz
Bitrate: 640 kb/s

Hi all,

Regards,

KalemSoft

jhoff80
08/22/2011, 02:16 PM
I tried the 0.3.5 beta myself, but it says my trial period has expired, despite the fact I have the full version bought from the App Catalog.

kalemsoft
08/22/2011, 02:39 PM
I tried the 0.3.5 beta myself, but it says my trial period has expired, despite the fact I have the full version bought from the App Catalog.

Unfortunately, there is no way our system can know that you purchased via app catalog since developers don't get any information other than download counts. The app catalog users should update from the app catalog instead.

Regards,

KalemSoft

kalemsoft
08/22/2011, 02:42 PM
I installed this beta specifically to fix lipsyc issues with .mkv files, and now the sound simply doesn't work. No sound, and no slider on the volume control.

Edit- I didn't specify. There is no sound in mkv files, avi still works fine.

Type: Video
Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)
Resolution: 1280x720
Frame rate: 23.976215

Type: Audio
Codec: A52 Audio (aka AC3) (a52 )
Channels: 3F2R/LFE
Sample rate: 48000 Hz
Bitrate: 640 kb/s

Working on it, will release a new update soon. Stay tuned...

dong1225
08/22/2011, 02:53 PM
Is no sound expected? I'm trying out the 0.3.5 beta playing a mkv file and I'm not hearing anything or seeing any sound slider as BShack reported too.
*edit, Just saw that reply post above. Thanks for working on it!

dong1225
08/22/2011, 03:01 PM
testing out the same file in 0.3 version listed on Preware resulted in sound playing but with video distortion.
If sound can be restored to 0.3.5 version and subtitle support added, this will be a god send for my use of TouchPad as media player, thank you so much for your hard work KalemSoft!

xaev01
08/22/2011, 03:34 PM

Regards,

KalemSoft
Excellent. Will definitely be buying this as soon as my Touchpad comes.

JirafaBo
08/22/2011, 05:32 PM
Installed the PreWare beta version and my video goes crazy. It's kinda like a tiled wallpaper on windows. Big screen, with a few smaller screens, and then also some crazy lines. Any ideas what my problem is?

kalemsoft
08/22/2011, 06:12 PM
Installed the PreWare beta version and my video goes crazy. It's kinda like a tiled wallpaper on windows. Big screen, with a few smaller screens, and then also some crazy lines. Any ideas what my problem is?

Preware version is pretty old and is for Pre. Please update to the latest version for TouchPad from our website:

or better yet you are welcome to try the latest beta freshly baked:

www.kalemsoft.com/betas/com.kalemsoft.ksmplayera_0.3.6_all.ipk

kalemsoft
08/22/2011, 06:15 PM
Hi all,

As you can see from the above post, a new beta version is now available:

Enjoy!

P.S. Due to some reports with audio volume control causing audio distortion, we had to disable volume control for video playback. That is why you won't get the volume slider for video playback only.

JirafaBo
08/22/2011, 06:19 PM
Preware version is pretty old and is for Pre. Please update to the latest version for TouchPad from our website:

or better yet you are welcome to try the latest beta freshly baked:

Oops, sorry! New to WebOS and still learning. Thanks for the quick reply. I plan on buying the app as soon as I try out the Beta. Just a little nervous buying all these apps with no refund option in WebOS market. Thanks again!

oooh pretty new icon too!

kingwyatt
08/22/2011, 06:20 PM
KalemSoft Media Player has just been released for the TouchPad on the App Catalogue ;-)

This is a very good app to watch videos with a wide variety of codec support (including .avi divx/xvid, etc...)

At least .avi files won't need to be converted to .mp4 to work on the TP and with this app we are able to see file names (not the case in HP's photos/video app)
Like many very new to TP. I've heard some folks talking about a trial version of KalemSoft Media Player for TouchPad that is free and available from the website. I went to their website and downloaded KalemSoft Media Player v0.3.3 for TouchPad onto my TP when I attempted to open the file I got a message Cannot open MIME type. There are no install instructions on the website either. I attempted to download the file to my PC but could do nothing with it there either. Can someone help me out here? thanks

ChickenMan
08/22/2011, 06:34 PM
Anyway to switch audio tracks? I transferred a Japanese anime movie the other day and when I got ready to watch it, it would only play in german. On my PC with VLC I can switch it to Japanese, and switch subtitles too.

zenintrude
08/22/2011, 06:37 PM
I bought this yesterday and I tried out a 576p MKV Blu-ray rip at lunch time and it ran flawlessly...

Then this evening I set minimal logging levels using ##LOGS# (##5647#) and now video is stuttering and audio is getting out of sync. Is this something to do with the change I made to the logging levels or is it unrelated?

I was really hoping this thing could handle 576p videos.

kalemsoft
08/22/2011, 06:37 PM
Like many very new to TP. I've heard some folks talking about a trial version of KalemSoft Media Player for TouchPad that is free and available from the website. I went to their website and downloaded KalemSoft Media Player v0.3.3 for TouchPad onto my TP when I attempted to open the file I got a message Cannot open MIME type. There are no install instructions on the website either. I attempted to download the file to my PC but could do nothing with it there either. Can someone help me out here? thanks

http://www.kalemsoft.com/site/docs/wqi.txt

Regards,

KalemSoft

kalemsoft
08/22/2011, 06:42 PM
I bought this yesterday and I tried out a 576p MKV Blu-ray rip at lunch time and it ran flawlessly...

Then this evening I set minimal logging levels using ##LOGS# (##5647#) and now video is stuttering and audio is getting out of sync. Is this something to do with the change I made to the logging levels or is it unrelated?

I was really hoping this thing could handle 576p videos.

Are you running this on a Pre? Logging will eat up CPU cycles for sure.

Regards,

KalemSoft

ChrisL
08/22/2011, 06:45 PM
I just installed the latest beta version (v0.3.6) and I've been having some playback issues. It's a little hard to explain, so bare with me :P I should mention that the audio and video sync up perfectly, so that's not the problem. The problem is that the video is very blurry and pixel-y. With the resolution being 624x352, you can make the argument that the resolution is the problem, but it's not because my iPad can play this video perfectly fine (not blurry/pixel-y).

I took the liberty to take a screenshot of the video's codec information:
http://i52.tinypic.com/30w6vs3.png

Hope my screenshot helps in identifying the problem :3

PS: I have the player installed as a trial, if that changes anything.
PPS: How long does the trial last?

zenintrude
08/22/2011, 06:47 PM

Regards,

KalemSoft

Running on a Touchpad...

The irony is that I went from the stock logging to minimal logging and now video is running worse.

kalemsoft
08/22/2011, 07:01 PM
Running on a Touchpad...

The irony is that I went from the stock logging to minimal logging and now video is running worse.

Probably you tried restarting your TouchPad already? All we can say, the video playback performance will not drop suddenly without a change in the system. Are you running any custom kernel?

Regards,

KalemSoft

zenintrude
08/22/2011, 07:05 PM
Probably you tried restarting your TouchPad already? All we can say, the video playback performance will not drop suddenly without a change in the system. Are you running any custom kernel?

Regards,

KalemSoft

Nope, literally the only thing I did was turn down the logging... I did try restarting, but I can try again I suppose.

kalemsoft
08/22/2011, 07:13 PM
Nope, literally the only thing I did was turn down the logging... I did try restarting, but I can try again I suppose.

You can also try the latest beta version which has improved performance:

http://www.kalemsoft.com/betas/com.kalemsoft.ksmplayera_0.3.6_all.ipk

If you purchased it through the app catalog, you can still try the beta for a week (hopefully, by the time it expires the update will be available on the app catalog anyway). If you purchased it from us directly, you can activate it like before.

Regards,

KalemSoft

dong1225
08/22/2011, 07:14 PM
Oh great! The new 0.3.6 version seems to have perfect audio and video playback! At least for me. And of course volume control is no problem with the TouchPad's own volume control.

If srt and ssa/*** subtitle support is added, this will be just the app I need for media playback on TouchPad! Just fantastic!

*edit Seems like they censor acronym for Advanced Sub Station (Alpha) subtitle file format here. lol

zenintrude
08/22/2011, 08:28 PM
Volume for the new build is lower than before and there's no longer the ability to raise the volume in the app while a video is playing... is this a bug or just something left out of the beta?

kingwyatt
08/22/2011, 08:43 PM
Was able to install and bring up application. One more question please. The .avi files are widescreen or letterbox and when played on the TP are distorted to fit into the TP screen. Is there a way to adjust this so that they display correctly. Thanks so much.

kingwyatt
08/22/2011, 09:09 PM
I found the aspect ratio buttin, thanks again. :^)

wphend00
08/22/2011, 10:38 PM

Regards,

KalemSoft

Quick question, will you be including embedded or file supported subtitles, any time soon?

xaev01
08/22/2011, 11:49 PM
Quick question, will you be including embedded or file supported subtitles, any time soon?

Was recently answered:

We are still working on [subtitle support]. It was moved up in the priority list though. It will be the next feature update after the bug fixes.

Regards,

KalemSoft

cyklo
08/23/2011, 12:19 PM
Hey, got my TouchPad today (just like everyone else!) and am trying out your media player. Excellent stuff, handles files a lot better than the internal player. One bug and one tiny feature request, though:

1) A lot of my content was encoded anamorphically, using Handbrake, with iPhone & Apple TV in mind. It seems neither the default player or the Kalemsoft Media Player notice that the content is anamorphic, and the video is very distorted and not scaled to its proper dimensions. Before I go and re-encode EVERYTHING, would you plan on fixing this in a newer version?

2) The "local files" browser starts in the bottom of the user folder, /media/internal/. It'd be nice if I could set a default folder, e.g. /media/internal/Videos/ so I don't have to go through everything in the home directory.

Thanks very much, looks like pretty great stuff. Would you profit more if I bought it from you direct or through the store? :P

kalemsoft
08/23/2011, 12:50 PM
1) A lot of my content was encoded anamorphically, using Handbrake, with iPhone & Apple TV in mind. It seems neither the default player or the Kalemsoft Media Player notice that the content is anamorphic, and the video is very distorted and not scaled to its proper dimensions. Before I go and re-encode EVERYTHING, would you plan on fixing this in a newer version?

Doesn't aspect ratio button help?

cyklo
08/23/2011, 01:06 PM

Afraid it does not. I'm running 0.3.6, and the aspect ratio button seems to behave more like a "fit to screen button" - toggling it does nothing to change the aspect ratio. It simply seems to change between "fill screen, with cropping" and "fit to screen, with black bars".

Here's a video of it: Aspect ratio scaling on 0.3.6 - YouTube (http://youtube.com/watch?v=gAqu0-c5Zq8)

The metadata for the video is below:

Video

ID : 1

Format : AVC

Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile : High@L3.1

Format settings, CABAC : Yes

Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames

Codec ID : avc1

Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding

Duration : 23mn 15s

Duration_LastFrame : -7ms

Bit rate mode : Variable

Bit rate : 2 070 Kbps

Width : 720 pixels

Height : 592 pixels

Display aspect ratio : 16:9

Frame rate mode : Constant

Frame rate : 25.000 fps

Color space : YUV

Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0

Bit depth : 8 bits

Scan type : Progressive

Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.194

Stream size : 344 MiB (93%)

Writing library : x264 core 112

Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=300 / keyint_min=29 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=20.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=3 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

pchrist
08/23/2011, 03:47 PM
What is the best format if you are going to convert a file? I have a 720p file that plays all garbled up. Was thinking of converting it but want to make sure i keep the best quality.

dong1225
08/23/2011, 05:10 PM
What is the best format if you are going to convert a file? I have a 720p file that plays all garbled up. Was thinking of converting it but want to make sure i keep the best quality.

Now since the whole point of KalemSoft player is that it plays files without converting, if you're going to convert I think you should just convert it to format supported by built in movie player.
This is easily done by selecting the iPad preset of most converting programs. H.264 MP4 file 720p

senor_kabong
08/23/2011, 05:56 PM
I am LOVING this app!

Question: I paid for and installed it on my new touchpad and love it so much I want to put it on my Pre as well. In the app catalog on the Pre it still shows that I need to pay the $6.99, is this correct or is there a way to refresh the profile to see that I already own it?

I apologize if this is covered elsewhere, I couldn't find it.

Gezza
08/23/2011, 09:16 PM
Hi Guys,

I've just picked up my TP and started loading it with goodies. I had read about the KS Media Player and went to buy it but got the error message that it was not available for my country! Will it be made available soon?

viper151
08/23/2011, 09:18 PM
Hi Guys,

I've just picked up my TP and started loading it with goodies. I had read about the KS Media Player and went to buy it but got the error message that it was not available for my country! Will it be made available soon?
You can buy it from here
KalemSoft - Store (http://www.kalemsoft.com/site/purchase.html)
It is the official site and then you'll be able to install from here

Jookwarrior
08/23/2011, 09:52 PM
I'm on a mac and couldn't find the tools menu in the VLC application. I played the movie and found this information by selecting the playlist tab in the application player box, right click the video file being played and selecting media information from the pop up box and then selecting the codec details tab.. This is what it revealed

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o189/rocejo/ScreenShot2011-08-22at114045AM.png

I also have issues with playback...dropping frames and then the video can't catch up to the audio. VLC on the mac also says the video codec is H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (Part 10) (H264).

Resolution is 848x480 and framerate is 23.97

Also had this lagging issue with VLC on my iphone4 with this file. Regular desktop VLC had no problems with it though.

I tried with versions 0.3.3, 0.3.5, and 0.3.6 with no discernable change.

ac

NSA
08/23/2011, 11:21 PM
Couple of questions:

Is there any way to add support for the Bluetooth keyboard?

I'd love to be able to PAUSE via space bar or skip ahead with the arrow keys etc.

As of right now none of the regular keys seem to do anything.

It would be a perfect match with the Touchstone to watch while relaxing.

Thanks!

voltes5
08/24/2011, 12:53 AM
is there a way to just play the files sequentially? the only options I saw were to shuffle and to repeat. I really hope there is a way to just watch them in the order of the files in the folder (as i watch tv series episodes...).
if this is already possible, i will definitely buy the app (used the demo)...
thanks!

aeharding
08/24/2011, 12:59 AM
Couple of questions:

Is there any way to add support for the Bluetooth keyboard?

I'd love to be able to PAUSE via space bar or skip ahead with the arrow keys etc.

As of right now none of the regular keys seem to do anything.

It would be a perfect match with the Touchstone to watch while relaxing.

Thanks!
I TOTALLY agree. +1. Subtitles first, though. ;)

You can buy it from here
KalemSoft - Store (http://www.kalemsoft.com/site/purchase.html)
It is the official site and then you'll be able to install from here
It'd be great if this was in app description (if not already... didn't look).

And thanks for being so actively supporting this app!

Chris1712
08/24/2011, 08:57 AM
Any plans to attempt hardware acceleration? The Adreno 220 is capable of high profile 1080p decode, as shown by the HTC Sensation so it should be possible for us eventually?

NSA
08/24/2011, 12:23 PM
I'd love to get around the 2GB file limitation (Why is that there, FAT32 should handle close to 4GB files?).

kalemsoft
08/24/2011, 03:33 PM
is there a way to just play the files sequentially? the only options I saw were to shuffle and to repeat. I really hope there is a way to just watch them in the order of the files in the folder (as i watch tv series episodes...).
if this is already possible, i will definitely buy the app (used the demo)...
thanks!

The latest beta version lets you do it. You need to press the shuffle button twice. Please search this forum for a link.

Regards,

KalemSoft

kalemsoft
08/24/2011, 03:34 PM
I'd love to get around the 2GB file limitation (Why is that there, FAT32 should handle close to 4GB files?).

This should work in the latest version. What version are you running now?

Regards,

KalemSoft

kalemsoft
08/24/2011, 03:35 PM
Any plans to attempt hardware acceleration? The Adreno 220 is capable of high profile 1080p decode, as shown by the HTC Sensation so it should be possible for us eventually?

Please check out the latest beta posted in this forum.

Regards,

KalemSoft

fventura03
08/24/2011, 05:40 PM

go into preware and type in the URL of the file, that's how i did it.

cyklo
08/24/2011, 06:04 PM

Odd - I've just tried 0.3.4 on someone else's TouchPad, and it works fine. It seems the aspect ratio button is a recent regression?

Loccy
08/24/2011, 06:27 PM
I've just tried the latest beta - am new to the app. Trying a fairly low-rent XVID (624x352px) and while it plays, it's not smooth. I wouldn't go as far as saying that it's jerky, but it's definitely nowhere near as fluid as videos playing natively and looks as if it's in the realm of 16 fps rather than the full 24/25. It's watchable, but enough to bug me. Are there any tweaks I can make? Should I try the non-beta?

NSA
08/24/2011, 06:37 PM
This should work in the latest version. What version are you running now?

Regards,

KalemSoft

I believe I am running the 0.3.6 beta. It doesn't seem to be a limitation with KalemSoft, Windows won't let me copy the file from my PC to the TP. Gives an error. I'll have to look again when I get home tonight.

Do you know when 0.3.6 or later will be on the app store? I purchased from there, but can't use 0.3.6 when offline :\

javierlp
08/24/2011, 06:45 PM
Anyway to set the default folder videos?

jamesking
08/24/2011, 07:03 PM
I downloaded and installed the 0.3.6 beta from the links you've been giving. It seems to work pretty well, with just a small audio/video sync problem, that I assume you'll be fixing as your support on this forum seems to be second to none!

Can you confirm that this is time limited to one week?

If so, I'd like to buy the full version! Should I do this through the Palm App Catalog, or on your website? It's a different price via the two options?

JoQ
08/24/2011, 07:15 PM
Any way to use my Mac as a server? The Kalemsoft media server is Windows only? Is there any application for mac that does the same thing? Really would appriciate the help!

Matt V
08/24/2011, 08:29 PM
I've noticed that the default player is sort of laggy when playing my movies. I converted ripped files from DVD Shrink to MP4 (M4V) in Handbrake according to specs in another thread but still isn't playing that smooth. Will this player solve laggy video playback? If so I might have to fork over the cash on this one.

Also, can anyone confirm if you purchase an app that you can re-download it later?

NSA
08/24/2011, 09:02 PM
Matt..

I've had good experiences with the built in player, but only with certain file types.

The current beta (0.3.6 I believe) of KalemSoft plays everything I can throw at it well (720p .mkv's especially). The version in the app store at the moment is 0.3.3 I think (not 100%) and it had some audio playback issues.

I am pretty sure if you purchase an app you can update/download it again free of charge.

lcee210
08/24/2011, 09:03 PM
I've noticed that the default player is sort of laggy when playing my movies. I converted ripped files from DVD Shrink to MP4 (M4V) in Handbrake according to specs in another thread but still isn't playing that smooth. Will this player solve laggy video playback? If so I might have to fork over the cash on this one.

Also, can anyone confirm if you purchase an app that you can re-download it later?

there's a demo to this app to see if it fits your needs and yes if you download apps you can always download them again for free

ChrisL
08/24/2011, 10:44 PM
Just out of curiosity, how long does the demo last?

Xadion
08/24/2011, 11:08 PM
just buy it... I did, I love it. Can't wait for update for it to be even better.

ChrisL
08/24/2011, 11:11 PM
just buy it... I did, I love it. Can't wait for update for it to be even better.

Thanks for the help.

kettlecorn
08/24/2011, 11:12 PM
For the streaming options with remote server, will KalemSoft release one for OSX/Mac and not just PC?

Guru#WN
08/25/2011, 01:53 AM
Will I be able to watch a local avi file on my device without having to have an internet connection with the paid app?

jamesking
08/25/2011, 03:12 AM
yes you will

kalemsoft
08/25/2011, 04:53 AM
I've just tried the latest beta - am new to the app. Trying a fairly low-rent XVID (624x352px) and while it plays, it's not smooth. I wouldn't go as far as saying that it's jerky, but it's definitely nowhere near as fluid as videos playing natively and looks as if it's in the realm of 16 fps rather than the full 24/25. It's watchable, but enough to bug me. Are there any tweaks I can make? Should I try the non-beta?

Yes, could you please try the non-beta (0.3.3) and let us know how it works?

Regards,

KalemSoft

kalemsoft
08/25/2011, 04:54 AM
For the streaming options with remote server, will KalemSoft release one for OSX/Mac and not just PC?

The support for other systems is in the list. Linux version is being worked on currently. Mac version will follow that.

Regards,

KalemSoft

kalemsoft
08/25/2011, 04:58 AM
Anyway to set the default folder videos?

It is not the same thing, but you can mark your videos as favorites and reach them by clicking the Favorites button. To do that, click an item in the list and hold your finger for a second or so and then release it. A window will popup from which you can select "Add to Favorites".

Regards,

KalemSoft

kalemsoft
08/25/2011, 05:00 AM

Have you tried the latest beta (0.3.6)?

Regards,

KalemSoft

kalemsoft
08/25/2011, 05:05 AM
I downloaded and installed the 0.3.6 beta from the links you've been giving. It seems to work pretty well, with just a small audio/video sync problem, that I assume you'll be fixing as your support on this forum seems to be second to none!

Can you confirm that this is time limited to one week?

If so, I'd like to buy the full version! Should I do this through the Palm App Catalog, or on your website? It's a different price via the two options?

Yes, the trial version lasts for one-week.
If you buy it from us, you will need to install it yourself. We provide instructions in a confirmation email, but the process may be hard for some users. If you have installed applications outside the catalog before though, you should consider buying it from us because we can release versions at our website without having to go through HP's review process, which may take time sometimes. You can get access to beta releases too.

Regards,

KalemSoft

Chris1712
08/25/2011, 05:22 AM
Please check out the latest beta posted in this forum.

Regards,

KalemSoft

Hi,

I am indeed on the latest beta. 720p MKV is fine, but 1080p is a no go, 10-15fps at best. Thus I assumed it was still just software decode.

spud101
08/25/2011, 07:35 AM
Not sure what you mean by opening files, but trying to play them from a samba share would certainly involve streaming from the host where they reside to your TouchPad. We gave this a quick try and it works fine.

Have you added the mapped samba drive to shared folders in KalemSoft Media Streamer? To do that, you need to choose "Selete Media Folders..." option from Settings menu and add your samba drive there. Then, the player application should see the folder.

Regards,

KalemSoft

I want to access the files on my NAS (which most likely won't run the stream server) straight from the filebrowser inside the Media Player webOS app. there the mapped network drives are empty, while mounting was succesful, as Internalz Pro does list the files.

yalden
08/25/2011, 08:45 AM
I apologise for my ignorance, I've not read through this 11-page thread. I'd just like to add my comments on this app.

As I'm sure has been noted, there is an issue with Audio playback. A simple fix is to turn the Kalemsoft audio toggle down (say half way), wind up the volume on the touchpad to max, then adjust the app volume to your comfort. If you have the app volume cranked up you'll get distortion, even if the TP volume is turned down.

My second issue is with regards to playback of some HD videos, probably those of higher quality. I've noticed a drop in frame rate and very bad audio sync and audio drop out. Oddly, if I play the same MP4 videos in the original player it runs without a hitch.

My favourite advantage to Kalemsoft is its ability to play other formats and also its snappy nature when scanning through video files (whereas the original player is a bit clunky).

I hope an update will sort out these few issues, either way I'm still happy with the app.

Stryker412
08/25/2011, 10:37 AM
I just tried the demo version from their site, I tried to open an mp4 I made from a 1080p MKV. It opened the file then crashed to the desktop. Is there something wrong with the player?

timmynana
08/25/2011, 11:00 AM
just purchased from your website, just wondering where i can download the beta from? The link in the instructions just takes you to the main download page (with 0.3.3 on it). I hope that this app works, if i remember right whilst converting .avi for my iphone the file size jumps up nearly 2x, therefore for the price of a pint of Guiness this seems like a great app!

Edit: do'h http://www.kalemsoft.com/betas/

gamoses
08/25/2011, 11:37 AM
okay, i got the demo version and was SO thrilled to find that it played my existing video files in .mpg format :-) thank you!! buying the full app right now!

Vissionary
08/25/2011, 03:00 PM
Anyone else have an issue with audio playback while headphones are plugged in? Audio plays through the headphones AND the speakers on the TP? Annoying...

Bobshaw
08/25/2011, 03:02 PM
I posted in the kalemsoft forums as well but figured with more viewers over here some random viewer might know the answer.

First let me say that this is an awesome piece of software that was incredibly easy to setup and hopefully will work amazing once I make some hardware changes. Heres what i have as a media server Gateway Support - Specifications (http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/1009564/1009564sp3.shtml) . Quick specs dual-core 1.8, 2 gb ram, integrated graphics, Win7 32bit. What I've noticed when streaming a 720p to touchpad is that both cpu cores are more or less maxed and cant keep my buffer full for playback-stops and starts throughout playback. Streaming standard def is smooth as butter. I would prefer to not reencode all my videos for lower resolution-love me some hd. Now for my question-

To make the 720p (or maybe higher) stream efficiently what changes do i have to make?(Willing to make hardware changes.)

-Is video transcoding handled strictly by CPU? Or will popping in a dedicated video card allow it to be offloaded to GPU?
-Do I go the "add more RAM route"? Even though though task manager while streaming my available RAM doesn't go below 700mb.
-Do I buy a new pc with a better CPU? Least desireable option.

Thanks in advance
Bob

yalden
08/25/2011, 03:02 PM
Vissionary, I've not had this happen to me. Try other headphones, a reboot or reinstall! Also be sure that the headphone jack isn't being obstructed (perhaps by a cover)...

toasterthegamer
08/25/2011, 03:07 PM
I posted in the kalemsoft forums as well but figured with more viewers over here some random viewer might know the answer.

First let me say that this is an awesome piece of software that was incredibly easy to setup and hopefully will work amazing once I make some hardware changes. Heres what i have as a media server Gateway Support - Specifications (http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/1009564/1009564sp3.shtml) . Quick specs dual-core 1.8, 2 gb ram, integrated graphics, Win7 32bit. What I've noticed when streaming a 720p to touchpad is that both cpu cores are more or less maxed and cant keep my buffer full for playback-stops and starts throughout playback. Streaming standard def is smooth as butter. I would prefer to not reencode all my videos for lower resolution-love me some hd. Now for my question-

To make the 720p (or maybe higher) stream efficiently what changes do i have to make?(Willing to make hardware changes.)

-Is video transcoding handled strictly by CPU? Or will popping in a dedicated video card allow it to be offloaded to GPU?
-Do I go the "add more RAM route"? Even though though task manager while streaming my available RAM doesn't go below 700mb.

Thanks in advance
Bob

It really depends on if you are being bottle-necked by the CPU or by your internet connection. If your ISP upload speed is low then you won't be able to stream HD content. Same goes for where ever you are downloading from. If the download speed is low enough you wont be able to stream HD either.

As far as hardware goes that sounds like enough but I'm not entirely certain and the developers of kalemsoft media player will have to answer that.

-Toaster

Bobshaw
08/25/2011, 03:15 PM
Sorry forgot to mention local network streaming dual band n. Bandwidth isnt the issue-have tested with a file that the touchpad can play natively and it runs smoothly. As for hardware what other specs can I provide that will help?

kalemsoft
08/25/2011, 05:56 PM

Thanks in advance
Bob

Have you tried the 1.0.5b streamer?

Regards,

KalemSoft

2TouchDroid?
08/25/2011, 07:33 PM
Still having the audio sync problem on 720 MKV using stable version and Beta 0.3.6. AVI files work flawlessly.

I'm running Webos 3.02.68

I use all of the tweaks on the "My HP Touchpad seems to be running so fast!" post.

I use Guvnah and the Uberkernel to overclock to 1.5Ghz, tried using the Webos default setting, and that didn't help.

Any ideas on what else I might try?

BTW the files play fine in VLC on Windows 7, so it's not the files.

blurr83
08/25/2011, 08:46 PM
Don't know if this helps other Mac (or linux) people, but I was able to get the KalemSoft Media Streamer to work on my MacBook Pro (OS X 10.7) this evening. I used WineBottler to create an application from the exe file. Works fine, so far the only issue has been on the TouchPad (When switching files it will crash). Other than that its been perfect. I would assume the same method would work on linux as well. Hopefully this can tide people over until a linux and mac application are created/finished (as mentioned earlier).

NSA
08/25/2011, 08:46 PM
Still having the audio sync problem on 720 MKV using stable version and Beta 0.3.6. AVI files work flawlessly.

I'm running Webos 3.02.68

I use all of the tweaks on the "My HP Touchpad seems to be running so fast!" post.

I use Guvnah and the Uberkernel to overclock to 1.5Ghz, tried using the Webos default setting, and that didn't help.

Any ideas on what else I might try?

BTW the files play fine in VLC on Windows 7, so it's not the files.

Not sure if this is the same issue..

But randomly, when playing 720p .mkv files, upon starting the video there is a couple seconds of green/black imagery on screen then the video starts.. this seems to put the audio out of sync right away. If I use the progress bar thing to go back to the beginning of the video it plays perfect from then on.

Haven't been able to reproduce it effectively, but it happens maybe 1 out of 10 times?

2TouchDroid?
08/25/2011, 09:30 PM
I've noticed the "green screen" too, but no luck with the slider or pausing/restarting.

Also I should have mentioned earlier. It seems as though audio is playing back faster than video, meaning it's synced at first, then the audio gets further and further ahead until it's unbearable after about 5 minutes.

NSA
08/25/2011, 11:29 PM
I've noticed the "green screen" too, but no luck with the slider or pausing/restarting.

Also I should have mentioned earlier. It seems as though audio is playing back faster than video, meaning it's synced at first, then the audio gets further and further ahead until it's unbearable after about 5 minutes.

Hmmm. I've been watching 14 minute Adventure Time(!) videos so maybe I haven't given it enough time.. how long into it are you noticing it?

vladoski
08/25/2011, 11:50 PM
Just cant get good enough playback on H264 playbacks. The latest beta doesnt seem to help much in audio/video sync issues so far. Anyone having good luck with solid playback experience across most formats?

NSA
08/25/2011, 11:58 PM
Can Kalemsoft Media Player play *.m2ts files?(1920x1080 24mbps video from a Canon HD camcorder)

The video played fine in my friend's Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet... is the Touchpad's CPU capable of playing it back using Kalemsoft Media Player app?

Thanks! :)

I just tracked down an "m2ts" file.. never HEARD of that before. Got some random Japanese music video.. 400mb though! It's 1440x1080 though.

KalemSoft does not seem to recognize the file format though, as it doesn't show up in the directory. I am going to do a full reboot to see if it shows up..

.. and I'm back!

Nope still doesn't recognize it as a playable file. Sorry!

NSA
08/26/2011, 12:00 AM
Just cant get good enough playback on H264 playbacks. The latest beta doesnt seem to help much in audio/video sync issues so far. Anyone having good luck with solid playback experience across most formats?

The 0.3.6 beta seems to have fixed most of my woe's with .mkv files. Before some .mp4 files that played fine in the stock player would have terrible audio lag, and that is fixed as well (Two small, 100mb files though).

jcruiz
08/26/2011, 03:17 AM
Great app man, keep on rolling! Will look into the streaming options! congratulations. I love it!

Demosthenes9
08/26/2011, 04:08 AM
what size mkv's are you all playing locally off the touchpad ?

Loccy
08/26/2011, 05:29 AM
Yes, could you please try the non-beta (0.3.3) and let us know how it works?

Regards,

KalemSoft

Actually, I've just tried running from a remote server, and it's a LOT smoother. It was only the suggestion that I run the server on my Mac media server via Wine that made me even attempt it. Genuinely wasn't expecting it to work (which is why I hadn't tried it myself previously) but it works a treat. Expect a purchase from me imminently. Nice stuff.

I would say, though, that you've got some competition coming in the shape of Touchplayer - the combination of a CIFS capable kernel plus Touchplayer would fulfil my use case, but Touchplayer just isn't smooth enough for me - yet.

2TouchDroid?
08/26/2011, 07:02 AM
what size mkv's are you all playing locally off the touchpad ?

If that was directed at me, 745MB

2TouchDroid?
08/26/2011, 07:03 AM
Hmmm. I've been watching 14 minute Adventure Time(!) videos so maybe I haven't given it enough time.. how long into it are you noticing it?

Within the first few minutes. By 14, I imagine it would be a whole minute out of sync.

Bobshaw
08/26/2011, 09:29 AM
Tried the 1.05b streamer and everything works. Awesome will be buying two of your apps. Thanks

Loccy
08/26/2011, 10:18 AM
Don't know if this helps other Mac (or linux) people, but I was able to get the KalemSoft Media Streamer to work on my MacBook Pro (OS X 10.7) this evening. I used WineBottler to create an application from the exe file. Works fine, so far the only issue has been on the TouchPad (When switching files it will crash). Other than that its been perfect. I would assume the same method would work on linux as well. Hopefully this can tide people over until a linux and mac application are created/finished (as mentioned earlier).

Nice one. Didn't even think of trying Wine - just assumed it wouldn't work. For me it's working perfectly - no crashing on exit that you describe. The remote streaming has also fixed my "jerkiness" issue. Very pleased and will be buying the app - Kalemsoft, you should give blurr83 commission! :-)

blurr83
08/26/2011, 10:31 AM
The crashing on exit went away after restarting my touchpad...so that issue is gone. I'm going to attempt this weekend to get my Elgato tuner (EyeTV) to play with the live tv functionality. Not holding out hope...more or less curious to see if it can be done.

bichenoubi
08/26/2011, 12:05 PM

I'm not able to play 720p h264 mkv neither, very laggy. (I have 1.5 GHz cpu and most of performance tweaks)

stephan71
08/26/2011, 12:16 PM
Hello, I've got plenty of FLV files but the player doesn't seem to recognize them since when you open a folder with different media files inside, the FLV ones are not listed...

Am I the only one to have this problem ?

Thanks

Loccy
08/26/2011, 12:17 PM
Ok, having purchased I have one small request - can you make the navigation area on the left hand side wider so that filenames aren't truncated? If you have a folder full of TV shows with filenames like

Exploding.Things.In.Space.s04e12

you can't actually see the episode numbers and have to take pot luck until you find the right Ep.

On an unrelated question - does the server software transcode, or send the stream as is?

stephan71
08/26/2011, 12:27 PM
Loccy, it looks to me as it is straight streaming

hailredskins#AC
08/26/2011, 03:00 PM
Threw a couple files at it last night after I installed the beta. Works well. Played the mkv and avi files I had without any problems with audio and video that I could tell in the short time I tried it. I'll be buying this app once it's updated post-beta

xaev01
08/26/2011, 03:18 PM
Hm. So the 3.6 beta was working, but playback was just a bit slow. I realized I'd never completed the upgrade to WebOS 3.0.2, so I did that, installed the F15C kernel, and overclocked to 1.7ghz to see if playback would be any better, and now 3.6b freezes upon loading the 720p h264 mkv I was using for testing.

Edit: 3.3 doesn't crash, but plays ludicrously slowly.
File info:
Video: MPEG4 Video (H264 High) 1280x720 23.98fps. yuv420p
Audio: AAC 48000Hz stereo
Subtitle: Advanced SubStation Alpha
Edit2:
Xvid/Mp3 avi will play fine with 3.6 and 3.5.
Every h264 mkv I've tried has frozen on open. Tested removing subtitle files and attached fonts with same results. Possibly just doesn't get along with this specific kernel?
Edit3:
Switched back to UberKernel, no improvement
Edit4:
Ran WebOS doctor, only installed Preware, used that to install Kalemsoft player, tried to play an mkv, froze.
Edit5:
Running the exact same file through Media Streamer works perfectly.

boss13
08/26/2011, 06:54 PM
Is there anyway to play all videos in a folder in loop on full screen?? The problem I have right now is that when I have a video playing on full screen it jumps back to the player at the beginning of the next video?

accelerate
08/26/2011, 07:31 PM
Is there a toggle to have the aspect ratio locked by default? If not, I feel this would be a very useful setting.

BennyBlanco06
08/26/2011, 10:46 PM
I'm getting some weird audio distortion playing mkv files video is fine and smooth and in sync but horrible distortion on audio any suggestions?

Using latest beta .36

Also anyway to add .m2ts .mts .m2t support?